Downton Abbey - Season 3! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Which one is Alfred?  Was Alfred the one pursuing talking to the police?  I thought that was Jimmy, the one who was kissed by Thomas.  I only found out that his name on Sunday when someone told me.  I can't keep these people straight, for some reason.  Jimmy is the one that Daisy likes, but he likes the newer kitchen maid.  Is Alfred the really tall one who likes Daisy?  I'm so confused by these story lines, I didn't pay close enough attention, I guess.

#32 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alfred is the tall footman that daisy likes, but he likes the kitchen maid, who likes Jimmy, who is the one that Thomas came on to.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#33 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM

Double post

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#34 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM

I was sad at the end, but not sobbing like I did with Lady Sibyl. And Tom Branson is so sweet and tender.

Why would anyone CHOOSE to leave the show?! Of course, I'm sure that's right, but so surprising!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#35 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Movie offers that is why!

#36 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I had no clue it was coming, (until a certain part in the show, of course).  Judging from the commentary on my facebook wall, a lot of other people didn't either.  Then there was spoilerish talk happening on my wall, and I felt bad so I basically was telling people it was only a flesh wound, that character would be fine. But then a friend who moved to the UK a couple years ago came in and told me that it was all over the papers when that character left the show to pursue other interests.  Sometimes it's good to be a clueless American.

Haha, that "certain part of the show" was what prompted me to start screaming:  "No!  No!  They're happy!  Why?!?!  OH MY GOD NO!  NO!" and so forth.  It was pretty traumatic. 

I was also hoping for another miracle until I was advised that this ending was long forseen in the UK.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#37 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Agh! I found my Downton tribe...
I shrieked at my husband afterwards for a couple of hours on and off "why? Why would they do that!?" I was traumatized and now I have nothing to hold onto until the next season... wink1.gif

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#38 of 51 Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At night, I dream about Downton Abby. I don't think this is healthy LOL.
I realized that Matthew reminds me of a major crush I had when I was a kid- Jon Boy from the Waltons. HOTTT!!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#39 of 51 Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM

My husband isn't sure what happened.  I'm not a "TV person".  I don't have the attention span.  But I watched the first season on Netflix in the span of a week.  Husband understands that it is a "period drama".  The face he makes when he says that... it's a funny one.  yummy.gif

SEASON FOUR HURRY UP ALREADY!!!

#40 of 51 Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

I'm so sad about Matthew... it seems terribly unfair. I'd had an inkling of the spoiler before hand (curse you interwebs) so I kind of knew what was going to happen, but I didn't know when. I was glad that he got to meet his son. But oh, Mary... Mary is going to devastated. How will she go on? Her only child being born and her husband dying on the same day. And who will tell her? The awful part is that Sybil would've been the best person to break such news... but she's already gone. 

Sigh. I'm interested to see what season four will bring. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#41 of 51 Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 AM

I am also a Downton fan as is my 7yo son and my mother.  DS is already pestering me about season 4, which can't come soon enough.

I knew Matthew would not be around for Season 4 so I assumed the worst.  My mom watched it before me and emailed me "don't let DS watch the last X minutes" so I was braced for it.

I like the way Branson has evolved over this season.  I suspect he will take a bigger role going into season 4.  I was glad Mrs. Hughs showed that maid the door.  I hated the way she was making him feel bad about his position in the family.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#42 of 51 Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Gossip/Potential spoiler:

According to the internet, the actress that plays O'Brien doesn't want to come back for season 4.
I don't get why these actors want to leave such a successful show.
#43 of 51 Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing O'Brien hit by a truck.

FIREdevil.gif I said it, and I"m not sorry.

#44 of 51 Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoolife View Post

Gossip/Potential spoiler:

According to the internet, the actress that plays O'Brien doesn't want to come back for season 4.
I don't get why these actors want to leave such a successful show.

During the last episode, there were hints she seemed to want to go to India with Shrimpy and Wife.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#45 of 51 Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DD and I finished watching Season 3 tonight. Someone gave us the DVDs and we quickly became hooked. We've had a great time watching. Maggie Smith is priceless. I love how she can steal a scene with just a look and a single line.  

We like watching some of the smaller moments that depict life in the early part of the 20th century. Things like the butler trying the new telephone or the maids and footmen flirting in the servant's hall. 

#46 of 51 Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM

I know this thread is a couple months old but I just finished season 3. I was NOT impressed with Matthew dying, but should have seen it coming with how cheesy he got in the last episode, heck the whole season. I didn't like him much in season 3. 

I think Obrian should leave. She's done so much and has been involved in so many plots on the show that I don't what else they could do with the character. 

I love how honest Mary is about her being bitchy. Hehe. 

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#47 of 51 Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

I think Obrian should leave. She's done so much and has been involved in so many plots on the show that I don't what else they could do with the character. 

I'm pretty O'Brian will not be a part of season four for the whole thing - if I recall correctly, three of the actors didn't resign their contracts for season 4, Matthew being one them. I think she'll end up taking a job with the Scottish lady where they went for the hunting party. They seemed to be laying the groundwork for that in the last episode. 

Can't wait until season 4 starts... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#48 of 51 Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM

I just watched the past 3 seasons in a little over a week... though I had already seen most of the last episode of season 3 earlier in the year on TV so I knew what was coming... I can't wait for season 4!!

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#49 of 51 Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM

sitting her quietly , just dying for season 4. heck i have actually rewatched the whole 3 years twice now and caught myself rewatcing the first few again. it is such a guilty pleasure.

working really hard to not learn about the show: next season, real life stuffs. i love just being caught up in the show itself.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#50 of 51 Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Same here. It's not supposed to be available in the US until January, but I think resourceful folks will probably be able to watch in September or October. :-)

journeymom likes this.

#51 of 51 Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

working really hard to not learn about the show: next season, real life stuffs. i love just being caught up in the show itself.

Yes, this! I've done the fan thing with lots of shows (and books and movies), scanning for news about all the actors, and what's coming in the next season. I'm just enjoying this one as it comes.

However, thank you Kitchensqueen. I'll let dh know to keep an eye out for the show, starting in September...

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Tags
Television

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page