Another one of my anti-TV threads 'cause I'm really grumpy today -- FNLLY ANSWRD SRRY - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2004, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sohj, a question for you -

If you feel that conversations about TV programs are dull, then how do you feel about discussing a novel that you've just read, or perhaps a film that you've seen? The premise is essentially the same. "Hey, I just finished reading 'XYZ', what did you think of it?".

Not trying to be snarky, just trying to better understand where you're coming from on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby
...If you feel that conversations about TV programs are dull, then how do you feel about discussing a novel that you've just read, or perhaps a film that you've seen? The premise is essentially the same. "Hey, I just finished reading 'XYZ', what did you think of it?"....
Don't worry, I don't think that is a sarcastic post.

My answer is that I think that is a question which, effectively, changes the subject. It is a different issue for a number of reasons.

One of the biggest reasons is the fact of the medium itself. TV is a visual medium in a way that even a heavily illustrated or "graphic novel" book isn't. The TV itself puts the viewer into a kind of hypnotic trance -- extremely receptive to whatever they see -- while having carefully produced programs that have been run by focus groups to make them as attractive as possible. The focus range is narrowed incredibly, eye movement is at a minimum and there is lots of cutting back and forth. Take a look at Marie Winn's book The Plug-In Drug. Published by Penguin in the 70's originally, there is a new edition from 2001, I think. She brings up a plethora of studies that will make you cringe.

My problem with it really isn't a content issue. Although that becomes part of the problem. It is that the medium is very powerful and is used to manipulate. And most people volunteer for that.

In general, most people when discussing a book, whether or not they have studied critical theory and literature, will discuss lots of stuff about the book they have read, NOT just the plot points. I have had lots and lots of conversations that were about stuff something had read. AND, invariably, talking about one book (plot, plot development, characterizations, language use, writing style, mood, etc.) has lead to bringing in other books as comparisons or contrasts or sources of further discussion of similar ideas. (Kinda like how Native Son lead to Everything But the Burden which lead to James Alan McPherson's short stories which lead to Indigo, Sasssafrass & Cypress which lead to Their Eyes Were Watching God which lead to .... well, you get the idea. And I wasn't discussing this in a literature class. I was on the bus with a friend discussing racism which started from a report in the newspaper.)

On the other hand, discussions about television shows that I have overheard (as I cannot take part in them, even if I'm part of the group, I can only say "overheard") have generally centered around plot points and how much a particular character is liked or disliked and how dishy or not an actor is.

I really think that is a very different conversation.

I have had very involved analytical conversations about TV shows and movies and animation. I have friends/acquaintences who make all of those. (See http://americanmontage.com/animation/hotrod.html for a sample of some animation that I actually worked on -- painting some cells! ) You know what? None of them watch TV on a regular basis. They all think it saps their imagination.

Just food for thought.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:20 PM

I'm a television watcher and I know that when I complain I don't have time to read, it's mostly because I'm in the habit of plunking in front of the television and giving it too much attention.

That said, I think books and the discussion of books is different than talking about television programs in a very important way. When I read a book, ~I~ decide what the characters, surroundings and other things look and sound like based upon their descriptions. When I watch a movie or a television program, it's been decided for me. Imagination is the difference. Somehow, television happens to me. But a book and I happen to each other. The story and my imagination roll around together.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie
....Somehow, television happens to me. But a book and I happen to each other. The story and my imagination roll around together.

Great way of putting it, chellemarie.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

But someone asked me where this was, so I'm bumping it.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohj
I think there should be a separate forum for TV so slower-moving print matter threads don't get buried.

Yeah, and now there IS a separate forum for Television! :LOL

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 10-15-2005, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I know... :LOL I think this and my other grumpy thread were the catalyst.

(And both those grumpy-about-television threads are .... In The Television Forum!!
)

Oh, well.

Old 10-15-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohj
(And both those grumpy-about-television threads are .... In The Television Forum!!
)
Is that karma biting you in the a**?????? :

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 10-15-2005, 08:11 PM

WOW good thing I read thru the entire thread...and yes now I see what happened!!! Thank goodness for the separate TV forum!! ( How'd I find all the scoop about LOST?)
Old 10-16-2005, 01:22 AM

Okay...I must admit I only clicked on this b/c I saw sohj's name. And, then, I saw all these names I haven't seen on MDC in for-ever.

And, now I know why. :LOL Stupid thread bumping.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:28 AM

Old 10-16-2005, 04:43 PM

One year later and I still loves me TV.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
Is that karma biting you in the a**?????? :
No, I think it was put here as it on the same topic...it just isn't complementary. :LOL

And yoga!!!

User Tag List