Trading Spaces -- Rank the designers! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Trading Spaces - who's your fave designer?
Genevieve 11 100.00%
Frank 16 100.00%
Laurie 14 100.00%
Vern 40 100.00%
Doug 2 33.33%
Hilda 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love Trading Spaces. I'm curious to see what you all think of the various designers. Also, who would you like to redesign which rooms in your house?

For me:

#1 Genevieve. She is sooooo cool, she actually cares about what the homeowners' style and needs are. I would (if I had $$$) pay lots for her to decorate DD's room.

#2 Frank. I love his wacky ideas (though the woven tin wall was too much), and I love the artsy drawing touches he adds. I'd like him to decorate my kitchen (I want that mexican kitchen minus the metal wall).

#3 Laurie. She usually comes up with neat ideas, and I'd love to have her design my living room in one of her Zen-ish ways, with earth tones and subtlety.

#4 Vern. I don't mind his designs, usually, but I get kind of wierded out by his use of bright and dark colors sometimes. I would like him to do my (nonexistent so far) reading room/library/den/office.

#5 Doug. I think he's an egotistical tyrant. I have very rarely liked a design of his. He is totally uninterested in the homeowners' wants or needs or the style of the rest of the house. I wouldn't want him to do anything in my house.

#6 Hilda. Can't stand her. Hello -- straw on the walls? In a house with two young kids??? When the homeowner said "But the girls will be constantly picking it off and eating it and leaving it all over the house!", Hilda's response was "well, theyll just have to be told not to." Like that's gonna work! I think 99% of her designs are ugly in at least one major way. I couldn't be paid enough to have her in my house.

One of the major factors, for me, as far as liking a designer, is whether they do something appropriate for the home. Gen and Frank and Laurie obviously either have kids, or have spent much time around kids, because they make stuff appropriate for a family, if the homeowners have kids. I love the little "kid's nook" type areas that Frank tends to include in living room and family room spaces.

What do you all think?

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#2 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 05:58 AM

#1 Vern. I just love his rooms. I loved the wine room he did.

#2 Laurie. I love the way she uses color. Some of the stuff she does turns out so neat looking...I did not like that Matice thing she did but that was one of the few I did not like

#3 Frank. He just rocks I love him. Especially childrens rooms. I am not big on country but if I liked it he would do it well....

#4 Genevieve. didn't she do the moss on the walls???? She usually does ok stuff but occasionally she does something so weird I would kill her if she did it to my house. Some stuff I lvoe some stuff I ahte..hard to tell (loved the girls room she did..the blue one...very pretty)

#5 Doug. I dont like the way he does not listen to the home owners. He does weird crap too. Would not let in house.

#6 Hilde
Would chase away from house with large sharp item. The hay was so not cool. What the hell is wrong with her anyways?? "Oh they will just have to be told not to pick the hay off" "ok whatever obviously crazy woman with no children"

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe this is becausse it is stupid o'clock, but BWAAHAAHAAAHAAA!!! I have this mental image now of the Trading Spaces trucks showing up, Hilda getting out, and one of the homeowners chasing her off the lawn with a big pair of pruning shears!!! :LOL :LOL :LOL

edited for formatting

#4 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 09:43 AM

Though we are cable-less now, I was a big TS addict when we did have it.
I absolutely adore Vern's work, he would be the only one I would allow to run rampant in my home.
Laurie would be my #2- she is a little traditional, but classic is nice
(by the way- she and Hilde and Doug are the only two who are designers by trade: Vern is an architect, Frank owns a craft store, Genevieve is a graphic artist, and remember Dez? she was a lamp designer)
#3 Genevieve- I love that lodge-y room she did with all the wood
#4 Hilde I loved that one bedroom with the pampas grass
#5 Doug he's a pompous ass, but he has done some neat rooms
#8 Frank- I love him, but his work is too country for me
#5 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 10:07 AM

I started taping that a few months ago and have been watching it while I nurse. I love Frank, both his rooms and his personality. The bright colors and folksy look are definitley my style. Laurie is a close second, so pretty and classic. Her rooms always make me want to sit down and have a cup of tea. Did she ever have her baby? As for Vern -- ooooh I hate his rooms! Nice guy, but ick all that red and black and candles everywhere -- sooo not my style. Dough is even worse -- bad taste AND bad personality.

I'm in awe of all of them on some level, though. I am not visual at all, I would never be able look at a room and picture how it would look with a different wall color, much less redo it from the ground up. Does anyone know if the homeowners get to choose what designer they get? Or if they get any input at all as to what general style they want? Or if the designers visit their homes before they make their plans?

Must add: I can't believe no one has mentioned Ty yet... YUM!
#6 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 10:31 AM

I love Vern! His rooms always seem very classy and well thought out. It is obvious that he was anarchitect before he turned to designing - I love the clean lines and sophistication in his rooms.

Next, I would say is Frank. He is very creative and lovable and his rooms always have a real sense of fun, although some of them are a bit too country for my taste.

Genevieve is cool and I love her enthusiasm - she is fun to watch but I don't love most of her rooms.

Laurie seems nice, but a bit too "girlie" in her tastes for me.

Hate, hate, hate Hilde and Doug. They are way too full of themselves and both have pretty bad taste in my opinion.

My favorite part of the show is definitely Ty! Love him!
#7 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 10:46 AM

I like all of them except Hilde and Doug. Ditto on the hay on the walls.

I have like lots of stuff the others have done but can't decide on a favorite. They've each done rooms I've really like and a few that I don't but I like that they listen and try to plan practical but attractive rooms, especially if the families have children.

I think Doug did do a room I liked last weekend, I think. First ever!

Ty's great but what do you all think of Paige? She's cute and bubbily but frankly I preferred Alex. Nor sure why -- oh and I do remember the lamp lady LOL! Everything was a lamp.
#8 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 10:55 AM

frank frank frank frank! my husband and i just love him!
here's another question along the same lines: if you were on trading spaces who would you want to work WITH and who would you want in your house?
i am always torn, but i think i would want to work with genevieve and have frank in my house. my husband agrees, and adds that he would rather work with doug than hildy because at least he could kick doug's a$$!
anyone remember when hildy tried to dye someone's white carpet bright orange?
#9 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 10:56 AM

one more thing, what is laurie's problem with ceiling fans? i have yet to see her leave one installed. i don't know where she's from, but she needs to come sit her a$$ in my living room with the fan off for a while and see how long it takes to burst into flames.
#10 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shoshannas mom
one more thing, what is laurie's problem with ceiling fans? i have yet to see her leave one installed. i don't know where she's from, but she needs to come sit her a$$ in my living room with the fan off for a while and see how long it takes to burst into flames.

I hope you're happy!!! I just spewed granola all over my keyboard! LOL
#11 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 11:10 AM

It depends on which room in my house we're talking about. I would want Frank (who is my favorite personality wise) to do my kids rooms and bathroom. Vern to do my kitchen or utility room, where I like clean lines and sort of sparse. Gen to do the other rooms in my house, where I"m more conservative.

But I would smack her down if there were moss anywhere LOL!

I absolutely hate Doug....what a HUGE jerk!
#12 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 01:36 PM

lol this thread is too funny. I have a great image of Hilde getting chased around a yard by garden shears too!! :LOL
And that lamp lady-ugh! I could not stand her!!!

I got hooked on TS when we had cable and watched it nearly everyday. It's one of the few reasons I miss cable.

I would pick:
1) Vern! I love Vern! That awesome kitchen he did for the wine people was the first TS I saw and it got me hooked on the show. I love what he does w/color, clean lines, candles, feng shui. The only room I saw him do that I didn't like was the soccor room but it was awesome for the kids who got it.

2) Gen- she's cool and I really liked the teenage girl's room she did were she collaged pictures of the girl's friends and actually made a spoon collection look hip. Hated the Scrabble-themed game room she did though.

3)Hilde- I would not want to hang out with this woman- I think she's a pompous ass- but I like a lot of the stuff she does. There would have to be some child-friendly rules set up for her first though!!!

4) Laurie- I like her sense of color a lot but most of her rooms are just too genteel for me.

5)Doug- Besides the fact that his personality sucks, is it just me or do most rooms look better before Doug gets to them?

6)Frank- I think Frank would be fun to go have a drink with but I would DIE if I was on TS and Frank was the one picked to do my house!!! I hate all his cutesy-country crud SO MUCH!!! I know, not the popular opinion here. I am not suprised to learn that he owns a craft store.

And yeah, I liked Alex better too. Paige is too perky for me.

And TY!!!!! HUBBA HUBBA He's cute AND he cracks me up! Amy Wynne is cool too!
#13 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 01:36 PM

the one time i enjoyed doug was in the apartment where he did all red and black and put that photo of the wife in her skivvies up over the mantle. i liked that episode. i wouldn't want to live in that room, but i liked the episode.

sorry riley's mom! hope it was dry granola!
#14 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 02:52 PM

Laurie is my favorite
#2-Frank
#3-Vern
#4-Genevive
#5-Hilde
#6-Doug

I think Doug is a bad decorator and he has an awful personality. From what I have read on the internet, you do NOT get to pick who works on your house. That is one reason I would not want to be on the show. What if Hilde or Doug did my room !!!!!!
Frank lives in a suburb of where I live. I've seen him in Garden Ridge before. Didn't have the guts to say hi.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#15 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 03:08 PM

to amswer shoshana's mom's question:

I would want to work with Frank and have Vern do my house.
#16 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 03:19 PM

I would want to work with Frank and have Laurie do my house.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#17 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 04:32 PM

Trading Spaces...now we're talkin...one of my favorite shows!

As for who I would want to do my room-first choice is Vern- I always love his rooms-especially the bedroom with the icicles, anyone see that!?

I like Hilde. I think she's funky and I admire that.

I can't rank the rest because I think the rest are all right-Frank's style is cute, but definitely not me.

As for Ty...I'm still reeling from the memory of the peek at his six pack on the Makeover Story...oh yeh, and he's a fine carpenter too!
#18 of 62 Old 08-15-2002, 05:55 PM

Yeay!! Ty is hot.

I like Paige ok...from what I read on the website well..their bbs Alex was kind of a $itch

#19 of 62 Old 08-16-2002, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

I think both Ty and Amy Wynne are hotsy-totsy. I love that they have a female carpenter on TS!

If I were on TS, I think I'd want to work with Laurie (she looks like the most fun), and have Gen at my house.

If I had to choose btwn working with Hilde and Doug, I think I'd rather take Doug, because he's wimpier than Hilde and I think I could argue him down. On the other hand, who wants to listen to the way he whines all the time when he doesn't get his way?

#20 of 62 Old 08-16-2002, 09:45 AM

(OT on) but ... Heh - where else but here would ya have someone spitting GRANOLA out on the keyboard??? I LOVE it!!!!!!! Heheheheheh.....

Or as my friend would call it - "A granola powered snot rocket...."

(OT off) I Love the room Vern did for the dixie chicks girl with the red dragonflies... and the room with the canopy around the bed

Hilde would not be allowed past my front porch. To me design should encompass not only visual aspects but the practical aspects required of a room - you dont see office cubicles that are not useable as office cubicles just because they look better that way! Hilde seems to have a great deal of difficulty understanding this concept. Ya gotta be able to LIVE in the room!!!
#21 of 62 Old 08-16-2002, 04:50 PM

I LOVE Vern's designs. Laurie's designs are pretty too. I voted for Vern but it was not exactly a fair vote cuz I am torn between the too.

Frank is sweet and considerate and flexible but I HATE his designs. They are wayyyyyyyyy too busy. Too much color...too much pastels. It's just not me. He'd be fun to work with though but I don't want him doing my room.

I wouldn't want Hilde doing my room either because she is way too contemporary and while her rooms are nice to look at on tv Iwouldn't want them in my home.

I know that alot of ppl hate Doug but he's got a special place in my heart. =) I like watching him on tv--gives the show a little drama. He's such a diva. I really haven't minded his designs. I like them better than Frank's. Whenever my sister and I are cleaning up a room in our place, we like to play "trading spaces" (we're weird, ok?) and she likes to be Doug.

It's hard for me to list them cuz based on consideration and working well with the homeowners as well as design it would be--

1. Vern
2. Laurie
3. Frank
4. Genieveve
5. Doug
6. Hilde

But if I were to just vote based on who I like to watch

1. Doug
2. Hilde
3. Laurie
4. Genevieve
5. Frank
6. Vern

Shoshanna's question-- I would like to work with either Genevieve or Frank and have either Laurie or Vern at my house.

Kylix
#22 of 62 Old 08-16-2002, 06:33 PM

Kylix- lol about you and your sister playing TS!!!

I think I's want to work with Frank just because he's sweet, but I don't know if I could carry out his plans!! I hate his stuff SO MUCH!!! But on personality alone, he'd have to be my pick.

I'd definetely want Vern to do my house.
#23 of 62 Old 08-16-2002, 11:23 PM

did anyone else see that episode where the home owner left bana bread on the fireplace with a note?? When Hilde read it it said "Here is some yummy banana bread, touch my fireplace and you'll be dead" LMAO!! It was something like that..I dont recall the exact quote

#24 of 62 Old 08-17-2002, 12:38 AM

I like Laurie, but it would be hard to rate the other designers cuz I miss a lot of the episodes (waaaa I really like watching them too!). I also would NOT let Hilde in my home. Did anyone see the episode where she spraypainted the people's couches BRIGHT FLAMING PINK!? OMG!!! But I would think it would be neat to work with her... I like her originality, and would love to consult with her before I redid my own room (so I could VETO the really psycho ideas) and I'd love to be able to go coo-coo in a room I didn't have to live in! (aren't you glad you're not my neighbor?)

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#25 of 62 Old 08-17-2002, 12:51 AM

Vern for the whole house! His designs are so calming, and I just love that wine-red color he uses all the time.

1. Vern.
2. Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen (from Changing Rooms, the British original version)
3. Gen
4. Laurie
5. Doug
6. Frank
7. Hilda

And Ty, of course.
#26 of 62 Old 08-17-2002, 09:48 AM

Ok, I'm so sincerely hetero, but I think Amy Wynne is hot...

LOL...I even told my husband. He looked at me like I had grown a 2nd head!
#27 of 62 Old 08-17-2002, 09:58 AM

Kylix- LOL on playing Trading Spaces, I am so going to have to do that with my daughter (it might even make her want to clean her room sometime???)

Did any of you, and I am sure you have, seen the lady who cries at the end because Doug covered her fireplace? OMG, when my dh and I watched that I thought we would die. It was like being in the room with them! She was not pleased...LOL, I know some people feel badly for that lady, but I laughed-I mean, she wanted them to come and do her room!

And the episode with the bright pink couches and then putting them in the rain, what the heck was Hilde thinking!? Crazy girl.

What a great show!
#28 of 62 Old 08-17-2002, 10:43 AM

ooh, the best, or worst?, hildy room might be the circus tent living room. that was so crazy. the homeowners were like uh, what the hell happened here?

susana, that episode with the lady crying was the first one i ever saw! that is real drama, and i was hooked!
#29 of 62 Old 08-17-2002, 11:02 AM

I thought the worst was when (I'm pretty sure it was Hilde) covered those people's walls with brown felt. And that had a bunch of cats...

Closely followed by the moss on the wall episode (I think that was Gen) Phew!
#30 of 62 Old 08-17-2002, 03:45 PM

Susana-- Yes, I saw the episode where Doug covered the ladies' fireplace and she cried. I too laughed over that episode. Her husband makes the comment that "nothing in this room looks the way that it did when we left it". What did they expect?

And then at the end when the two couples are reunited and Paige says "is everything alright?" and her husband says "yes everything is okay, we'll be fine." but the lady who cried doesn't say anything. And then Paige says "are you guys going to remain friends?" and the husband says "oh yes." and the again the lady who cried didn't say anything.

Now that is drama. It seems that Doug always manages to do something to cause a shock. Like blowing up that nearly naked picture of that woman and putting it up in her living room. Like the attitude he got with that mother-daughter couple that went out the night they were supposed to do their homework.

Best and Worst--that's so hard. There have been so UGLY rooms and then there have been alot of really nice ones.

Some that I didn't like--the circus tent room (Hilde), the hay on the walls, Doug's bumblebee room.

Ones that I liked-- Laurie did this pretty room when she was pregnant for this young couple..it had the dichotic painting. It was a young couple (the other couple on the show was the red and black room with the blown up picture of the lady) and the lady sees it and says "LOVE IT!". Almost all of Vern's rooms I have liked..especially more of the subtle ones.

It's funny how the horrible ones stand out so that we can just say "the circus tent" and everyone knows which one we are talking about. LOL

Kylix

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page