AP family on tv last night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone see that new show on TLC last night with Doug Wilson. It was about 2 families moving one buying and moving to a new house, someone buying their house and moving, and the changes they made. Anyway one of the families was so AP. They carried their newborn in a sling, had 3 sided crib in their bedroom for their 2 year old, a big basket of cloth diapers beside the bed. The great thing was these people didn't fit the 'normal sterotypical AP family" I think it was great for mainstream people to see, someone that is just like them is following their childrens cues, and the new house they moved into, they tore out a wall so she could see from the kitchen to the family room, if her son was in their playing she could be talking to him, and seeing him from where she was. It was all just very exciting to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 10:29 AM

I saw the last 20 minutes of it! I missed the cloth diapers though! I love how they should how easy it was to transfer the baby from mom to dad while still in the sling!

Now, if only I had $50,000 to spend on a new kitchen! On second thought, think of the diapers I could get for $50,000!!!
#3 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

I know I was drooling over that kitchen. It was great to see them using the sling so naturally. completely off topic I knew the previous owner would not like the house.
It just a flash of the basket beside the bed at the beginning when they showed the bedroom.
#4 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 11:13 AM

I saw the mom using the sling and was wondering if they used cloth, apparently I missed the shot where they showed the bedroom.
#5 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 11:19 AM

I did see it!! That was totally cool...and what kind of sling was she using?!

I missed the basket of cloth diapers, though. Bummer.

the kitchen..someday, someday maybe I'll have one like that!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#6 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloveladycmc
I did see it!! That was totally cool...and what kind of sling was she using?!

the kitchen..someday, someday maybe I'll have one like that!
That's what I keep telling myself.
I don't know what the sling was.
#7 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 11:51 AM

Oh, I am sorry I missed that! It sounds great! The more people see how "normal people" AP, the better!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#8 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 04:59 PM

Yea! I love it when AP leaks into the mainstream media. More people need to think of it as the "normal" thing to do. I wish I'd seen this.
#9 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 07:28 PM

and did you catch that she said she had to wake up 3 times one night to nurse?!?!? YRAH!!!
#10 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 07:33 PM

I saw the family too! Too cool!

Earlier in the day I was watching Clean House on the Style Network. The family they helped clean, organize and redeccorate for had two Moms. Double cool!
#11 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 PM

I missed it but what's a 'normal sterotypical AP family" look like. do you mean when they make them seem all hippyish?
#12 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes that's just what I meant. I was afraid it would come off degoraity the way i said it. not how it was intended. It was nice to see someone that could have easily been to mainstream parenting not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca
I missed it but what's a 'normal sterotypical AP family" look like. do you mean when they make them seem all hippyish?
#13 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yup I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoMJM
and did you catch that she said she had to wake up 3 times one night to nurse?!?!? YRAH!!!
#14 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 PM

*sniff* aww i missed it!!!

they changed the baby from momma to daddy while the baby stayed in the sling.. okay someone teach me how to do that!
#15 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 09:30 PM

I post with her on another AP message board. She's cool.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#16 of 34 Old 01-30-2005, 09:39 PM

I saw it and thought wow I have that sling then I saw the 3 sided bed in their room...BTW the sling was a Native Carrier, I have one and I really like it. It doesn't have rings but once you get the hang of it its a great sling.
#17 of 34 Old 01-31-2005, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

The woman from the show?? OMG tell her I'm coming to move into her kitchen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat
I post with her on another AP message board. She's cool.
#18 of 34 Old 01-31-2005, 03:43 AM

The show site says it'll repeat on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. I'm gonna set my TiVo to record it! Thanks!
#19 of 34 Old 01-31-2005, 03:42 PM

I saw it too! Yep, I thought the sling looked like a New Native. I swear I thought she was nursing the baby on a porch swing at the beginning.
#20 of 34 Old 02-01-2005, 03:20 AM

The show is called "Moving Up" and their episode is "Country Kitsch Carnage."

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...episode01.html

You ladies forgot the part where they took the placenta from the freezer!
#21 of 34 Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 PM

Oh my gosh, that was me. Yup, I'm the cloth-diapering, sling-using, placenta-keeping mom from that show AND a motheringdotcommune member. I'm glad that all of your comments were positive and no one mentioned the fighting! But bear in mind that we had only five weeks to do all that work and in that time we also redecorated four bedrooms and a playroom that they didn't even show on TV.

They shot 200 hours of footage and the only fight we had in those stressful weeks was this 15 minute fight we had less than 24 hours before the final showing to Doug was the whole show (it was less than 24 hours before they showed up and the appliances were still in the living room, the staircase wasn't done, they put in my contract that I had to sew curtains and I hadn't even started -- basically we had 100 hours worth of work to do and 22 hours to do them in. And yes, my husband did wake up late and spent two hours buying curtain rods and donuts -- I was so mad but he had stayed up until 4 am painting but I was up all night nursing and I still woke up early and started working. Anyway, we got over it and are still happily married.) Plus during the fight they were hiding in other rooms secretly filming us -- you can tell that the lighting is very grainy because they were like in a totally different room. We had microphones on the whole time and we would always forget about them -- I can't tell you how many times DH and I peed with the microphone on and got laughed at later.) And it was the same fifteen minute fight they showed over and over and over again and made it look like we were fighting all the time. I was still mad at him the next day too as you could probably tell. But really, we're fine now.

Regarding the sidecar crib, we did take out the Arms Reach co-sleeper from the other side of the bed to look more "normal" to mainstream parents. Back then, Seth slept in the Arms Reach on one side and Asa slept in the side car on the other. Nnow the three kids sleep with me on a twin bed with DH in a guest room while we're remodeling the master bedroom. Our house is a renovation nightmare.

And yup, its an New Native sling -- the best for passing newborns back and forth between husband and wife.

As an AP mom, I'm embarassed about the pacifiers and the baby swing, but at the time we did what we had to do.
#22 of 34 Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 PM

You know what.....For the first two months of ds2 life, pacifiers were a life saver! And all of my babies LOVE to swing.

I don't think that makes me less AP.....they are being allowed to do what they are comfy with......even if it is not generally considered AP practice.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#23 of 34 Old 02-01-2005, 10:38 PM

bpolley I am so excited to hear that was you on TV!!!

Funny, but the entire time we saw you my dh and I both felt like we had seen you or met you before. We still can't place you. Ever spend any time in New England?

Congrats on your wonderful home and your TV appearance!
#24 of 34 Old 02-02-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

OMG I can't believe an actual tv star posts on here.
I'm the one that is coming to live in your kitchen.
I was so excited when I saw the AP clues in your house. I couldn't wait to come on here and tell about it. I should have thought that maybe it might be a member of this wonderful site.
Your house is just gorgeous, what they showed of it. I would love to see pictures of the other rooms, when you are done.
On a side note, I knew the previous owner would not like your changes. You could tell before she moved out, she was much too attached to her house. I loved how you opened up the family room to the kitchen. That was a great improvement.
Anyway congratulations on your new house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpolley
Oh my gosh, that was me. Yup, I'm the cloth-diapering, sling-using, placenta-keeping mom from that show AND a motheringdotcommune member. I'm glad that all of your comments were positive and no one mentioned the fighting! But bear in mind that we had only five weeks to do all that work and in that time we also redecorated four bedrooms and a playroom that they didn't even show on TV.

They shot 200 hours of footage and the only fight we had in those stressful weeks was this 15 minute fight we had less than 24 hours before the final showing to Doug was the whole show (it was less than 24 hours before they showed up and the appliances were still in the living room, the staircase wasn't done, they put in my contract that I had to sew curtains and I hadn't even started -- basically we had 100 hours worth of work to do and 22 hours to do them in. And yes, my husband did wake up late and spent two hours buying curtain rods and donuts -- I was so mad but he had stayed up until 4 am painting but I was up all night nursing and I still woke up early and started working. Anyway, we got over it and are still happily married.) Plus during the fight they were hiding in other rooms secretly filming us -- you can tell that the lighting is very grainy because they were like in a totally different room. We had microphones on the whole time and we would always forget about them -- I can't tell you how many times DH and I peed with the microphone on and got laughed at later.) And it was the same fifteen minute fight they showed over and over and over again and made it look like we were fighting all the time. I was still mad at him the next day too as you could probably tell. But really, we're fine now.

Regarding the sidecar crib, we did take out the Arms Reach co-sleeper from the other side of the bed to look more "normal" to mainstream parents. Back then, Seth slept in the Arms Reach on one side and Asa slept in the side car on the other. Nnow the three kids sleep with me on a twin bed with DH in a guest room while we're remodeling the master bedroom. Our house is a renovation nightmare.

And yup, its an New Native sling -- the best for passing newborns back and forth between husband and wife.

As an AP mom, I'm embarassed about the pacifiers and the baby swing, but at the time we did what we had to do.
#25 of 34 Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still researching AP and can't wait until I have a baby to start using the principles, that I have learned from here. I completely agree with you. I think that AP is doing what your baby needs not following rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
You know what.....For the first two months of ds2 life, pacifiers were a life saver! And all of my babies LOVE to swing.

I don't think that makes me less AP.....they are being allowed to do what they are comfy with......even if it is not generally considered AP practice.
#26 of 34 Old 02-02-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote: Funny, but the entire time we saw you my dh and I both felt like we had seen you or met you before. We still can't place you. Ever spend any time in New England?

I lived in Hartford, CT for several years.
#27 of 34 Old 02-02-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpolley
Quote: Funny, but the entire time we saw you my dh and I both felt like we had seen you or met you before. We still can't place you. Ever spend any time in New England?

I lived in Hartford, CT for several years.

Maybe that't it. My dh is from Bristol.
#28 of 34 Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 PM

I'm going to record it tonight! I can't wait to see it, and show DH. He thinks I'm the only person in world who used a sling and cloth diapers or let DD sleep with us.

#29 of 34 Old 02-02-2005, 06:03 PM

bpolley, I saw the show and thought it was great. It is VERY stressful to remodel. I think you both did wonderfully.

It was nice to see a normal family on tv for once.
#30 of 34 Old 02-02-2005, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
i made a point to watch the rerun tonight. you are such a beautiful family, and your house is beyond gorgeous! i would gladly do dishes in your sink! lol

my favorite part of the show was when you handed db to dh in the sling and he put the wrong arm through and poor db was upside down. all you could see were two tiny little feet sticking up in the air out of the sling! too cute!

forget about the swing and binkies. you did a fab job representing for all of us AP mamas. and i hope you got a chance to tell janice where to put her stupid pansies! lol

Bring back the old MDC

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page