Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000
...I tried to remember when they repeated it, but I forgot. Now I don't know
how to get those last minutes for her, they are so important. I don't have
HBO demand OH well.

Try going to yahoo's tv listings. It lets you search for a specific show anytime in the next 2 weeks.
#212 of 231 Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM

GOOD IDEA! A friend of mine downloaded every single episode from someplace on the internet......I can find out if you cant find it anywhere.....LMK
#213 of 231 Old 08-30-2005, 06:21 PM

Well the screw up gives me a EXCELLENT opportunity to play a prank
on my buddy. I was thinking that when I get the last episode on
tape I will send her the tapes I already taped. Not telling her that
the last 10 minutes aren't there. She will watch them all and then
POOF...teehee. I will send a second tape of the last episode one
day after she calls and freaks. Hey it's mean, but she has known me
since 1st grade, and she has to keep loving me. :LOL

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#214 of 231 Old 08-31-2005, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagger
Thanks for that link. I loved listening to AB talk about the show. Now I have to listen to the LA and MCH interviews...
#215 of 231 Old 09-01-2005, 09:37 PM

Some people mentioned that they missed the end of the finale. HBO2 is rerunning the entire season last night, tonight & tomorrow. Here in NY the finale is on again at 11 pm tomorrow night. I don't know if the listings are the same everywhere though.

I think they're also starting to run the first season again - yay!
#216 of 231 Old 09-03-2005, 06:56 PM

Oh! I just got my computer up an running this month. I wish I coulda been here for all the discussion! I do not have TV, but my mom tivo'd the season for me It's really the only show I have enjoyed for awhile.

I cried so hard the last 3 shows. It is amazing to me how this show has blown apart what we see on television and also the boundaries they push. I will miss this show!!!
#217 of 231 Old 09-06-2005, 06:57 PM

#218 of 231 Old 09-08-2005, 03:20 AM

1. Thank you SO MUCH to whoever posted that there were obits on the HBO web site. I also am missing the show, especially after looking forward to each episode so much this last season.

2. One picky detail: someone referred to Brenda's married name... Brenda's last name was Chenowith. Her second husband's last name was Nathanson, and good call on noticing the coincidence. Also, the last name is probably Jewish, which is mildly interesting in that she was Jewish though not religious.

As far as I can tell, Brenda never changed her last name. She identified as a feminist and the obituary says "Brenda Chenowith" -- whereas Ruth, a married woman who did change her last name, is listed as "Ruth O'Connor Fisher".

Ruth called Brenda and the baby she miscarried "two new Fishers" on Brenda's wedding day and Brenda didn't correct her -- but I think that was because she didn't want to be ungracious and/or she was too busy thinking about her already dead baby.

In the hospital the night Nate cheated with Maggie, a staffer calls Brenda "Mrs. Fisher" when they learn she is Nate's wife. Knowing firsthand what it's like to be mis-addressed with your husband's last name, especially when your own last name is really not important in the given context, I think she just let it pass. IOW, would I stand there barking "Chenowith! It's 'Ms. Chenowith', damnit, not 'Mrs. Fisher'!" if my husband were there for an AVM? Not so much.

Further evidence that Brenda didn't use any name but her own birth name is that she named her daughter Willa Fisher Chenowith. I think it would be mighty weird for her to give her daughter the last name Cheowith if she were using Fisher herself. It would have been convenient in many ways to be all Fisher together -- Maya, Will & Brenda -- but I don't think Brenda made those kind of decisions based on convenience.

3. One reason I think SFU reasonated so much with me was that the main characters were all within a few months of my age and damn, they were perfect.
#219 of 231 Old 09-08-2005, 09:57 AM

brenda definitely didn't change her name... was there a debate? Plus, not only did she not change it but she chose a different order than usually assumed for Willa's name: Fisher and then Chenowith.

Brenda would never change her name! That's just not her, lol.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#220 of 231 Old 09-08-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
brenda definitely didn't change her name... was there a debate? Plus, not only did she not change it but she chose a different order than usually assumed for Willa's name: Fisher and then Chenowith.

Brenda would never change her name! That's just not her, lol.

I thought she might have decided Willa's name order because of Nate’s
death. Do you think that if Nate had lived she would have Fisher last?

I agree I can’t imagine Brenda’s character taking on the Fisher name as
her own. Not her style. But I think Willa’s name had more to do with
Nates death than her feminist style. IMO.

I know from experience being a single Mom it's easier that my daughter
has my last name, and the regret of other single Mom's I know that wish
their children had their last name.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#221 of 231 Old 09-09-2005, 01:50 AM

I agree -- I thought it's possible that at least part of the reason she decided to have Chenowith last was because of Nate's death, and if Nate were living they might have been more likely to choose Willa Chenowith Fisher instead.

But I can't agree that her feminism had nothing to do with that choice. IMO, a traditionally-minded woman would have given the new baby Fisher her husband's last name, even if he was dead.

I hear you on that, about having the same name as your kid and the difficulties that ensue if you don't. I didn't change my last name when I married, and my kid's name is a version of "Willa Chenowith Fisher" (i.e., different names, same order with mother's last name as a middle name and father's last name as the surname, plus he has a first middle name, too, so it's more like "John James Roe Doe," no hyphen). It is annoying as hell when people skip the Chenowith part, call me Fisher, etc.

Like I said, persnickety, but entirely in the spirit of Brenda.
#222 of 231 Old 04-16-2006, 12:55 AM

I know this is an old thread but anyone want to re-ignite? I've just watched the final season on DVD & I'm dying to discuss!

I was dying over Claire and the pantyhose thing. I swear, I quit my job at an accounting firm because I hated pantyhose so much.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#223 of 231 Old 04-16-2006, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Never seen it.
#224 of 231 Old 04-16-2006, 01:05 AM

Yep, the pantyhose thing gave me flashback to being 22 and having to wear pantyhouse to my accounting job everyday. I hated the way it made my toes feel, lol.

I still miss this show.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#225 of 231 Old 04-16-2006, 01:50 AM

I just bought Season 5 and we'll be watching episode 2 tonight. Can't wait! I've already seen it on HBO but I'm still excited about watching it all over again, in order. I'm watching it with dp who hasn't seen this season, so I have to be patient and wait until a night that he is free to watch it. And that takes LOTS of willpower! And I can't wait to watch the last episode with dp! It was SO hard to watch it last time and not be able to discuss it with him.
#226 of 231 Old 04-17-2006, 05:18 PM

We just finished the last season on DVD~ I cried myself silly through the last three episodes.

This show just haunts me, I love it.
#227 of 231 Old 05-04-2006, 12:48 AM

I just watched it on DVD also. I love this show. I can't believe how real the characters are. I feel like I know these people personally. This is a show that kicks reality tv in the butt. I was able to totally immerse myself into it every time. I would get so sad and tense when they dealt with their problems, just waiting for the resolution to happen, and then when it did I was so relieved. Maybe I am looking for my own resolutions?

I watched the commentary at the end as well about Life and Loss and how SFU has changed the way people look at death. I think it is true on a small scale. Not that many americans have watched it (percentage wise), but I think death and funeral directors as definitely less creepy than I used to.

I am so sad this is the final season!!! I think this is definitely one of the best dramas I have ever seen.
#228 of 231 Old 05-25-2006, 02:10 PM

just finished watching the fifth season...

good stuff! though I really thought the epilogue at the end of the finale was sooooo cheesey it left a bad taste in my mouth.
#229 of 231 Old 05-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
just finished watching the fifth season...

good stuff! though I really thought the epilogue at the end of the finale was sooooo cheesey it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Really? I can see that it was a little cheesy but I thought it ended the series so well since the theme of the whole show is that everyone dies.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#230 of 231 Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Really? I can see that it was a little cheesy but I thought it ended the series so well since the theme of the whole show is that everyone dies.
:

I totally agree........I didnt find it cheesy at all.....I cried thru the whole ending b4 that part......
#231 of 231 Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 PM

I'm kinda glad to see this thread because I really am missing Nate....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page