Rock Star INXS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 280 Old 07-12-2005, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasnt sure if I was going to watch this or not but the first episode was on last night and it was really good!

I saw INXS in concert back in the 80's and they were great performers.

I remember the day Michael Hutchence died So sad.

I think this is a good idea and a great way for the band to get tons of publicity for their new album.

There were so many good performances last night, but I thought they sent the right person home.

Anyone else watch?

(C'mon Polka123, this is right up your alley )
#2 of 280 Old 07-12-2005, 01:49 PM

totally, totally love INXS & their music.

& Michael Hutchence was 1 of the sexiest things on 2
legs <swoon>
"I need you Tonight...because I'm not sleeping..."

"Never tear us apart...."

I have so missed the music

"Suicide Blonde" was my anthem for a while

I missed it.. on next Monday ?

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#3 of 280 Old 07-12-2005, 04:10 PM

I agree that she should have gone home. There were a couple other who didn't do nearly as well as the others.

Polka123, there's a new episode tonight and tomorrow night. The public gets to start voting for who they think should win tonight.
#4 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

I have been rebuilding my vinyl collection and found a copy of thier first album today...

Its on in a half hour...I am anxious to see what songs they will sing. The list to choose from looked pretty cool from what i can tell.
#5 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 10:36 AM

Oh my goodness! It was so good! It is on tonight, too.

A couple of those girls ROCKED! The blonde w/ pigtails, the one with dreadlocks, the first one that sang Joplin. Loved it! I liked a couple of the guys, too.
#6 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM

I watched the first one, but missed last nights because I had to work. I was diggin' it. And Dave Navarro....
It's on again tonight?
#7 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Yes, last night they said something like "Watch tomorrow to see who gets voted off". I missed Monday but watched last night. Is it on every night? Whhooppee!

I have always drooled over Dave Navarro.
#8 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 12:48 PM

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch... I don't know why, like it is wrong or something. I probably wouldn't care except I watched a Behind the Music on Michael Hutchence like 3 years ago and it totally touched me and was like, I don't know, like I knew him or felt him in my soul or something. Very weird, it was. Like when you have a heavy dream and you can't shake it the rest of the day? Anyway... are they all girls trying out? That might be ok... and Dave Navarro... mmmmm.
#9 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM

I didn't mean to watch I thought it sounded really cheesy but then I started watching the first episode and I am hooked! These people are so talented!!! There are a couple of weaker ones but honestly I thought that 11 of the 14 last night were just completely great! How are they going to choose? And that first irl to go was definitely the right choice. Next they can cut Suzi and Wil and then that girl who sang "I want you to want me" who just didn't seem quite up to the standard. But man, all the others just blew me away!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#10 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Is Dave Navarro trying to look like Satan? He's cute but a little over the top...

I like Jordis, but I don't know if they'll choose a female singer to front the band?
#11 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 PM

I also like Jordis. There's something about her that seems familiar.

I don't like Suzie, not since she made those comments to Marty about his voice. I'm not sure about Mig, I don't like Ty. I didn't care for Daphna's performance.

I like Heather, Marty, Jordis, Deanna, Neal and I can't really remember the other performances.
#12 of 280 Old 07-13-2005, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I like Jordis too...she is so cool and natural...but I dont know if I can see her singing any of their tunes.

I like Ty, the crazy barefoot guy was pretty good too.

Wil was not with it last night but kinda cute

I liked the girl who sang The Clash song but I didnt like the wasy she sang that song...but I am VERY partial to people covering songs from my boys

The Mick Jagger/ Iggy Pop/ Beck lookalike guy is good, but seems like he is doing an impersonation KWIM?

Cant wait to see who goes.

From what I understand, they take the bottom three and make them perform an INXS song and the band chooses who goes. I like that idea! That way america has some say but not the final say...lord knows we dont need another American 'fixed' Idol
#13 of 280 Old 07-14-2005, 01:29 AM

I`m another one that thinks its kind of weird. I was determined not to watch because I LOVED Michael Hutchence so much when I was 13. I got sucked in too, but its so weird that he is never mentioned. How could the band not compare every singer to him? He was perfect.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#14 of 280 Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

I think Dave Navarro looks more like a beautiful polynesian woman...with sideburns and a goatee

I am glad they sent home Wil...cute but not the right fit. He sang while looking down too much...i thing Suzie was pretty weak with her Blondie cover...I dont think her INXS song was that great either, but who knows.

Liseux- They did a nice tribute to MH when the show premeired. I thought he was amazing too. I dont think they mention him much because they probably dont want the new singer to feel like they are always going to be compared.
#15 of 280 Old 07-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatgirl
I think Dave Navarro looks more like a beautiful polynesian woman...with sideburns and a goatee
:
#16 of 280 Old 07-14-2005, 09:34 AM

I can understand a little better now, I read an interview with Kirk Pengilly & he explained how they are not trying to replace Michael, that`s impossible. They just want a new start & he said he hopes its a female to avoid the comparisons completely. I`m sorry I missed the tribute.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#17 of 280 Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 PM

I missed the tribute too, though to be honest I don't really remember INXS much from when I was younger. I remember some of the INXS songs, but didn't know who they were from.

I didn't remember Wil but once he started singing I did and yeah I'm glad he's gone. I do not think Tara will be around long, she looked scared once Susie sang.
#18 of 280 Old 07-19-2005, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Did anyone watch last night? I think its good that we get to see what foes on behind the scenes, but 3 nights in a row is quite a tv commitment!

I'm still going to watch the performances tonight though. There were some interesting song choices up on that board!
#19 of 280 Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive been watching......the first night it came on, dh was saying he didnt think Michael Hutchence was that good looking.....I looked over at him and said "sorry dude, he was hot! Thats like saying Gavin Rossdale isnt good looking......shesh!"

I dont the contestants are that good...except for Brandon, Ty and the chick with the dreads. But its fun to watch anyways......
#20 of 280 Old 07-19-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
This is what you need
I’ll give you what you need

(What You Need-INXS)

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#21 of 280 Old 07-20-2005, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Polka

I am watching right now, so far I think JD and Jordis did the best.

Some of the girls singing songs by men was hard to listen to...good voices, but not right KWIM? I hate it when anyone tries to tackle Jimi (except maybe Lenny K )
#22 of 280 Old 07-20-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
I also like Jordis. There's something about her that seems familiar.
She looks like the lead singer of Counting Crows ... they have the same hair.

I like Jordis and JD. I don't like Neal (he can't sing) or that woman who sang Purple Haze (total poseur).
#23 of 280 Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

I thought the right 3 were up there last night.

Neal should seriously front a Stones tribute band.

I like the way that INXS treats everyone. They are so respectful and cool.
Nice change from the staged bickering and personal jabs of American Idol.

I do however think it is interesting that when Tara sang 'Paranoid' that the band pointed out 'We're not a metal band'..but who picks the songs that they have to choose from? If they dont want to hear what a metal song sounds like, then why is it even one of the choices? Maybe they want to see if someone can turn it into an INXS sounding song...who knows, I just thought that was wierd.

I also thought the JD comments were uncalled for and I would have been pissed too if I were another contestant...but I do like the fact that the band is judging him solely on his performances...thats professional.

Cranberry..good prediction oh and the Counting Crows guy comment :LOL so true!
#24 of 280 Old 07-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I do however think it is interesting that when Tara sang 'Paranoid' that the band pointed out 'We're not a metal band'..but who picks the songs that they have to choose from? If they dont want to hear what a metal song sounds like, then why is it even one of the choices? Maybe they want to see if someone can turn it into an INXS sounding song...who knows, I just thought that was wierd.
I don't know if INXS is picking the songs for them. I can see INXS's point though. Tara fought for that song because she was told to rock it up. She went from 1 extreme to the other but didn't really hit what it was they wanted to hear from her. I think the mix of songs that they have to pick from is to see if the singers can sing a variety of types. Some singers are only good at singing certain styles. Each band has their style but will have songs which lean towards other styles and a singer needs to be able to do that.

I agree that JD's comments were wrong to say, especially on live tv. However INXS has pointed out with a few people that those who work with the band and focus on the other members during parts of the songs and who work to make the song more their own are what they're looking for. That is why they've kinda singled JD out, he's done it with each of his songs. Some of the other singers are picking up and starting to do it more too, but others haven't.
#25 of 280 Old 07-27-2005, 01:26 PM

oh my there were alot of really bad singers last night. I don't think there was 1 that they did not have anything negative to say. I really disliked Brandon, Daphna, Heather, Jessica, Suzie, Tara. I didn't watch Ty or J.D. J.D. is starting to annoy me. I liked Marty, Mig & Jordis.
#26 of 280 Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 PM

Ty was great! What a great voice.

I like Mig the best. Jordis is really cool, too. And for some reason I like Tara.
#27 of 280 Old 07-27-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I Mig! Besides how cool he is, I watched Monday when he was on the phone with his wife...so sweet! i also love how supportive he is when the others are performing...and dont forget the jacket coming off....

Alot of people blew it last night

I felt bad for Brandon..."Tempted" is one of my fav songs ever and he obviously had never even heard it let alone sang it before....I like him otherwise though...I hope he stays.

Tara reminded me of a Desperate Housewife singing karaoke after too many apple-tinis! That outfit was NOT flattering IMO and she over sang "Suffragette City" so bad...another one of my fav songs butchered.
I liked her until she started letting her insecurities about always being in the bottom 3 turn her so cocky... :

Joe Strummer was most likely spinning in his grave after hearing Daphnas rendition of "Rock The Casbah'. Please, please people...stop handing out Clash songs...nobody will ever do them justice. I do think that Daphna is the prettiest of all the girls though

Poor JD, he was really distracted...I hope he stays too, all though he is a little

Marty, Ty and Mig were the best IMO
#28 of 280 Old 07-27-2005, 03:01 PM

I'm a HUGE Jordis fan! She's amazing!

Ty was great, Mig was great too. I normally like J.D., but he sucked last night

Tara, Heather, Jessica, just do not like them one bit. Can't explain why, just don't.

The others, left like no impression on me whatsoever...lol
#29 of 280 Old 07-27-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I do think that Daphna is the prettiest of all the girls though
She is pretty, but not in that getup she was wearing last night.lol

Jessica looks too girl next door.
#30 of 280 Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

I felt bad for the girls last night but I think the band made the right decision, except they should have just sent all 3 home. I dont think any of them is right for the part. Jessica did a good job on the song they picked for her but can you really see her fronting INXS? I cant.

Heather did look like she had already given up...

I didnt like how Tara responded though. Allthough she wasnt in the bottom three again (allthough I am sure she was next lowest) she was acting awfully cocky up there! Yukkk!

I cant wait for someone to sing "The One Thing" I that song!

I was trying to think of some other songs that might be on the list next week...

American Girl by Tom Petty would be good

Precious or Tattooed Love Boys by The Pretenders

Crimson and Clover by Joan Jett

My mind is blank now, but I thought of alot of good ones while driving in my car today

What would you like to hear them sing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page