Is the Backyardigans racist? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
perhaps the problem is that for some people, anything that doesn't have white people and WHITE culture (whatevertheheck that may be--in this case i think it means anything that isn' clearly *something else*) in the center is discrminating against whites.

Do you think that might be why you feel like the show is racist Ms. Doula?
#32 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for all the replies! I just wanted to chat about what I thought was an absolutely ridiculous allegation. (For the poster who asked-I googled 'backyardigans mermaid lullaby' and was scrolling through comments on a blog when I came across this dubious gem.)

I will just say that I love the show. Love, love, love the show.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#33 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie_sabot
perhaps the problem is that for some people, anything that doesn't have white people and WHITE culture (whatevertheheck that may be--in this case i think it means anything that isn' clearly *something else*) in the center is discrminating against whites.

Do you think that might be why you feel like the show is racist Ms. Doula?
What she said.
#34 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh
Wow. Thanks for all the replies! I just wanted to chat about what I thought was an absolutely ridiculous allegation. (For the poster who asked-I googled 'backyardigans mermaid lullaby' and was scrolling through comments on a blog when I came across this dubious gem.)

I will just say that I love the show. Love, love, love the show.
My dd loves that song, and even imitates Tasha's movements when it's on!
We love the show too! You should hear us all in the car when we're playing the cd. :
#35 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 11:02 AM

Been meaning to jump in here...my son & I love this show and I never gave one thought to race (they're animals!!), but, I think there are always people who can see race in anything.

We have the Backyardigans magazine and it describes each of the characters:

Pablo: (shortened by me) small penguin with big ambition, the fact that he's wound a little tight and lacks a certain grace leads to lots of opp. for slapstick. He is well complemented by his best friend, Tyrone.

Tyrone: calm, cool, matter of fact Moose. Easy going, levelheaded.

Tasha: girly & dainty (seemingly), she is headstrong and stubborn, but a good friend

Uniqua: confident, agile and adventurous; likes to run the show. Mischievous and sweet, she's one of a kind.

Austin: shy and independent, new kid on the block; tends to wait to be invited.

Now, don't we all know people like this, regardless of race or color?? That's what I like about the show, they have real characteristics and personalities.
#36 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I thought Uniqua was a hippo?
Tasha is the hippo. Uniqua is a unique creature, an animal of her own.

We really like this show! I love all the varying musical styles, and ds loves their adventures. He said "they have a whole big world in their backyard."

Dh and I have noticed their different ethnicities, but it is something that we *like* about the show. I hadn't seen any racism. Even after reading the alleged racist elements, they seem to be a stretch.
#37 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 11:40 AM

I think it's a ridiculous suggestion. IMO, people that are looking for racism will find it, no matter how far they have to stretch things...(just wanted to say that I know racism exists, but i think someone wanted to find some kind of reverse racism agenda because the creator is African American...which p*sses me off)

We love the music.
#38 of 56 Old 11-03-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal
Racist, no. Annoying, yes. That dang yeti song gets in my head for days. Not cool to start randomly singing it at work in front of patients (I seem to be afflicted with the same syndrome as Marcus in "About a Boy" - random unconscious singing aloud.).
hahahaha! i'm with you there. the instant it's even MENTIONED, that freakin' "doin' that yeti stomp!" line runs through my head over and over again!
#39 of 56 Old 11-04-2005, 06:29 AM

My dh hates the show. He REALLY hates the music. He thinks it's creepy and sounds like they're all doped up on heroine.
#40 of 56 Old 11-04-2005, 01:32 PM

always wondered what animals doped up on heroin sounded like

#41 of 56 Old 11-04-2005, 02:00 PM

We actually like that it's about diversity to some extent. I love their names: Tyrone, Uniquwa (sp?), Pablo, Tasha & Austin. They tried to be the rainbow coalition for sure.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#42 of 56 Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh
Caught this comment when I was googling for the lyrics to the Backyardigans mermaid lullaby (and I STILL can't find them! )

Apparently, the thought process goes that Austin is white (which, of course, is why he's ignored in so many episodes), Pablo is Hispanic (which is why he stinks in the Yeti episode and is so hyperactive), and the other three are black (which is why they are in every episode, Tasha is bossy, Uniqua is sensitive, and Tyrone is funny).

Leaving aside all the laughably broad (and some offensive) generalizations in the above thought process, do you think it's possible that the creator (who is AA) has created a racist cartoon? (This would mean that you'd have to believe, contrary to the beliefs of some on this board, that somebody who is not white could be racist.)

Or do you think that it's more likely that the creator made a cartoon that, if you look carefully (if you even notice the choice of names), actually <gasp> has minorities as the majority!

I have to admit that I laughed it off since I love the show and don't think it racist in the least, but what do you think?
(highlights mine )
I think this opinion you have found goes in the same category of trying to figure out what sexual orientation the teletubbies are. What kind of person tries to figure out what race a bunch of bugs on a kids show are? I'll tell you what I think, that person is just trying to get everyone riled up. I think this opinion you ran across on the internet is just some person trying to get everyone's goat.
#43 of 56 Old 11-04-2005, 10:58 PM

um, i sit & actually watch it with dd! : i love the show. i love the songs. i love how much dd takes away from the show. i love the choreography & the musical theater-ness of it all. racist? ugh.
#44 of 56 Old 11-05-2005, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobica
um, i sit & actually watch it with dd! : i love the show. i love the songs. i love how much dd takes away from the show. i love the choreography & the musical theater-ness of it all. racist? ugh.
I watch it too. We dont' have a TV anymore, but when we visit someone who has a TV we will watch it sometimes. I like the music and I think the plots are really cool. There's nothing better than hearing your daughter singing that she's brave and smart and strong, either. This is the best kids' show on television, IMO. Perhaps I'm a musical theater geek though.
#45 of 56 Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 PM

Seems like there are 2 questions: "Is the Backyardingans racist?" Folks here say NO, apparently others in the world say YES. OK. Second question: "Are there different races/ethnicities represented on the Backyardigans?" which to me is more interesting ... because of all the folks here who indignantly say, "They're just ANIMALS, they can't have a culture!" One question, folks: Seen Dumbo lately? Go on, rent it and watch it, then see if you still believe that those are just cute lil cartoon crows, not caricatures of African Americans. Would you still say, "They can't possibly be racist in intent, they can't have a race. Hey, they're just made-up little animal characters in a kid's movie." Ya know?

I'm certaintly not saying anything about the cartoon, I don't know enough, but I want to throw that out there - everything we create reflects our values, beliefs, backgrounds, cultures. No human creation, the Sistine Chapel or a pre-schooler's cartoon, is ever going to be a vacuum. And that ain't a bad thing, either.
#46 of 56 Old 11-06-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentaluna
Seems like there are 2 questions: "Is the Backyardingans racist?" Folks here say NO, apparently others in the world say YES. OK. Second question: "Are there different races/ethnicities represented on the Backyardigans?" which to me is more interesting ... because of all the folks here who indignantly say, "They're just ANIMALS, they can't have a culture!" One question, folks: Seen Dumbo lately? Go on, rent it and watch it, then see if you still believe that those are just cute lil cartoon crows, not caricatures of African Americans. Would you still say, "They can't possibly be racist in intent, they can't have a race. Hey, they're just made-up little animal characters in a kid's movie." Ya know?
I can promise you that almost every mama here knows that cartoons geared toward children CAN be racist. There have been numerous threads about Dumbo, and many other older cartoons. This thread is about The Backyardigans, and the possibility that it is racist toward white people because some of the characters have names and/or voices that make them seem to be representative of people from other cultures. Also, apparently some think that one particular character has been given negative, stereotypical of the Latino culture. I personally have never noticed, and I am very sensitive to race issues.
#47 of 56 Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 AM

I don't think that it's racist. I'm mixed and my kids are mixed and I've got to say, I do notice "race" in kids' programs. The tone of voice, the name, whatever. That's part of the reason that I like Backyardigans, the diversity. Before I had kids I didn't care so much but now I love to find shows that are racially diverse. There are so many "white" shows that showcase a just a couple other races now and then and no one minds, they call that diverse. But when a "black" show does the same it's called racist. Anyway, I don't think that Backyardigans is racist at all although I've only seen it a few times. But I have to admit that when I watched it the first time I made it a point to try and get ds to watch it because it was different from the everyday kids' show.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#48 of 56 Old 11-08-2005, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom
The more I think about this comment, the more upset I get. Pablo was "pretending" to stink because he was "pretending" to be a Yeti. I have never even considered that Latino people stink and it highly upsets me that some people do. I have never even heard of such a thing. I don't get the hyperactive thing either. It makes me wonder if the person who these thoughts originated from may be racist themselves. I'm assuming that these are not the OPs own thoughts. If so, I don't mean to offend. I just don't understand where these thoughts would come from.

My husband is Latino and he does not stink at all...the mans feet nor farts even stink....it is a little peeving actually...... :

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#49 of 56 Old 11-08-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie
...the mans feet nor farts even stink....it is a little peeving actually...... :

Dang mama! How'd you score that one?
#50 of 56 Old 11-08-2005, 02:53 PM

It was a requirement in the ad I placed No, really, I have no clue...of course I don't tell him any of this, I always argue with him when he claimes to be odor free.....otherwise he would want me to touch his feet or something

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#51 of 56 Old 11-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama
(highlights mine )
I think this opinion you have found goes in the same category of trying to figure out what sexual orientation the teletubbies are. What kind of person tries to figure out what race a bunch of bugs on a kids show are? I'll tell you what I think, that person is just trying to get everyone riled up. I think this opinion you ran across on the internet is just some person trying to get everyone's goat.

I didn't even know that they were bugs!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#52 of 56 Old 11-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Actually after seeing just about every episode it is actually austin and Tasha that don't always make it in. I have never not seen pablo in an episode. It's always at least pablo, tyrone and uniqua.
#53 of 56 Old 11-30-2008, 04:54 PM

Ok, never seen the show I will admit, but I looked it up...

I can't see race.... I see animals and one funny pink bug but no race. Just species...

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#54 of 56 Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM

Holy thread resurrection. I'm going to close it and ask that you please start a new thread if you want to continue the discussion. Some of the people who were in on it the first time around aren't here anymore to defend their position.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#55 of 56 Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Well guys, let me tell you what I think.....   and how did I got to this particular forum..  LOL..       I have never googled for any kids show ever.

Since my kids see that show, I-ve seen it and thinks its really fun, and I dont think its content or dialogs or context are racist at all.  And I have to admit I enjoy that show and brings me back to my childhood too.

BUT!!    why did I ended up googling for "backyardigans+creator+racist"...      wow!!!  Why???

Because of the same things that were suspicious to the first post of all:    THE NAMES

And suddenly it rang a bell.    UNIQUA??  TYRONE??  TASHA???  ...   I sad (in a just curious way):  I bet the creators are black!!           And that was it.

And I agree with all the others that the only thing that I see is that.    I didnt noticed that Austin was the one with the least appearances in the show...    but...     maybe......     

... mmmmm...   could be due to a very tiny tiny bit of racism from the creator... who knows....    or maybe not!

What I think..       I think :   YES IT IS a bit of racism.....         and so what!!!!  We are all racist at some point.

Cheers!!  and be cool    LOL

#56 of 56 Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Since this is such an old thread and a lot of the participants have moved on, a new discussion in a new thread should be started.

And welcome to Mothering!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page