Anyone else watching ER right now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else watching ER? The mom has refused all vaccines for her ds and they were giving her a hard time.. then he was found to have HIV and the Dr. blew up when he found out she had refused AZT while pg.
Do you think they took this story from the mom on the Mothering cover (just because it received lots of attention)? I know they spin-off real life stories sometimes..

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#2 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans
Anyone else watching ER? The mom has refused all vaccines for her ds and they were giving her a hard time.. then he was found to have HIV and the Dr. blew up when he found out she had refused AZT while pg.
Do you think they took this story from the mom on the Mothering cover (just because it received lots of attention)? I know they spin-off real life stories sometimes..

just came here to write about this.....what do they do, have trolls here at MDC...????

Why, why do i watch ER??

I just wanted to see Nella get married.....I knew better...D'oh!

CPST
#3 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 12:57 AM

Is this just most anti-NFL season ever or what?

What is next?
Babies brought in from parents rolling over on top of them in their sleep???

GahGahGAH

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#4 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 AM

This is EXACTLY the Christine Maggiore story with her dd Eliza Jane. So unbelievably insensitive and lame. Jerks.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 AM

It's on in 2 hours here and now I don't want to watch it yet want to watch it at the same time, but it's just going to make me mad!! I don't even want to see that one girl get married, she bores me and her husband always bored me too. So, now the entire episode is either going to bore me or tick me right off! Someone make me go to bed instead of watching!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#6 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:08 AM

okay..so, i went back and re-watched it, ..I did not hear anything about vaccines, like the op said.....all i heard is the mom say she tested HIV+, refused all meds, including during her pregnancies, and then refused to even test the children for HIV.....

Oh, and did i mention how i absolutely LOVE that even after the mom agrees to have the boy treated, they HAD to throw in the little remark about how they'll "have to get a court order" to force the mom to let them treat the "healthy" sister as well!!??!! ...Jusy in case any of use wtahcing had any ideas about doing anything similar...watch out, they take our kids!!

Ugh, for some reason the smileys aren't working for me..so picture a few of the "head banging on wall" ones here....

CPST
#7 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 AM

and to make her seem like a psycho, uninformed, irrational idiot

*growl*

Granted I'm not the most fluent person when my kids are sick and I'm worried (never mind in an ER) BUT people on TV don't have that problem, kwim?
They have been SO terrible this season about painting anyone who isn't mainstream as an idiot

#8 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 AM

I watched and have already emailed Peggy O'mara about it
I love ER but this is the last straw

I am sick and tired of them living in the CDC's Pocket

I think this totally needs a major activism alert
#9 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What network?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 AM

Oh no, this was definitely a no-vaxing mother. She had a little exchange with Abby where she stated that she and her ped didn't believe in vaxes, then Abby allowed as how "vaxes are the most important public health advance ever achieved." This is right before the mother refuses a chest x-ray (but consents to antibiotics, based on the reasoning that the docs would treat with abx with or without an x-ray - made sense to me!)

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#11 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 AM

ER is on NBC

#12 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 AM

Nbc

#13 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
! ...Jusy in case any of use wtahcing had any ideas about doing anything similar...watch out, they take our kids!!
Was there any doubt in your mind about that?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Thank you Quirky and Unreal. My DH loved that show.

#15 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:24 AM

I knew there would be a thread started on this before I got here Anyways It started off with sick kid, mom doesn't vax - oh no not again! I thought.

Then when they were looking at the chest x-rays and said PCP I thought "ohno, they did not!" It's Maggiore's story, repleat with what most of the medical community thinks of her.

Whether I agree with Maggiore or not, that was tasteless and cruel. :
#16 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 AM

Yes er is VERY mainstream--I have watched on and off for years and the have touched on circ and natural childbirth as well--and not in a good way.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#17 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:31 AM

I just came here to post about this as well and am glad to see some discussion on it. Man I tell you it really gets me that powerhouses like ER use their influence to reinforce mainstream beliefs without any explanation of the background or facts. And what makes me even more angry is that they always portray mothers who choose no-vax as someone who is afraid or wary of ALL medical treatment. This is not the case with me, everything is not black and white. It would be nice to see an episode that really DISSCUSSED both sides of the topic.

I haven't seen the recent issue of Mothering however, whats the correlation exactly? In the past ER has broached some pretty controversial subjects but I am really blown away by how one sided this was. I don't watch ER all the time but have seen some instances where they almost seemed liberal. A long time ago they discussed natural birth and I was just glad they brought it up. My sister said they had a woman breastfeeding her 5 year old on once. What was their spin on that/ does anyone remember?
#18 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 02:00 AM

I'm on the west coast, so it hasn't aired yet. I don't care to watch it. I stopped watching it years ago because it would just make me mad when they covered issues I feel strongly about.

It doesn't bother me so much that they had a similar situation to Christine M., they take stories from real life all the time. Aside from it being one sided, why did they have to add the 'no vax' aspect? The storyline would have been just as controversial without lumping everyone who questions the norms into one big pot.
#19 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwinegall
Aside from it being one sided, why did they have to add the 'no vax' aspect? The storyline would have been just as controversial without lumping everyone who questions the norms into one big pot.
I was puzzled about that, too. I thought it would play into the storyline and they would say he had some disease that "never would have happened if his mother had vaxed" or something but it was just dropped.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#20 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 AM

I think the no vax thing was a part of making it more close to the real story. She said " My pediatrician and I don`t believe in them." when she was asked if her son`s shots were up to date. I knew they were copying the Maggiore story then because there was so much controversy about how Ms. Maggiore had doctors who agreed with her. I think ER really went low with this one, it was just mean to make it so similar. I feel so bad for the Maggiore family, I don`t know how their daughter died, but this show was just heartless.

IRL, when a non vaxed kid is in the ER, most parents I know, including myself, just tell them we have a religious exemption if asked. A doctor can`t say anything then. Any other response will start a freaking war with most doctors in my limited experience & then they start to treat you like an idiot.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#21 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 02:46 AM

:

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#22 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 02:53 AM

Those sick bastards. Ooops, am I allowed to say that?

I can't think of another word. WTH is WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?!?!?

I think they just threw the vax thing in there as an extra jab, lump 'em together, as "moms who don't care about their kids and won't let the doctors SAVE THEM."

I am fuming. Case you couldn't tell. How unbelievably wrong.
#23 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw it ant hought it was going really well untill they got to the part where hew as dying then it all came together. I thought they were finaly doing a show where the mom was educated and rational in her medical descisions. When they got to the x-ray part it was kinda like - yeah, why bother with an x-ray if it isn't going to change treatment at all? and you kinda got the feeling that Abby was thinking "womans got a point". You don't need an xray to comfiirm pnumonia. the two times I have had children with pnumonia the Dr.s have been able to pin point exactly how full thier lungs were and the xray did nothing but confirm they were right. It makes no sense.

ANyway . . .I thought it was sorta low. I doubt they read the story in mothering. this is making national news.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#24 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 12:25 PM

What I disliked was that they made the mother seem off her rocker, like she thought everything was a conspiracy and wasn't basing her decisions on anything but speculation. I mean in real life Maggiore researched and wrote a book about it! She was NOT uneducated about the situation!

In the very least, they didn't bring breastfeeding when you are HIV+ into the picture. Whew.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#25 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 01:35 PM

X-post

I saw it too, OMG I was so infuriated when I saw that and when Sam, the nurse said "we'll have to get a court order" because the mother didn't want her daughter tested for HIV, or her children to receive AZT therapy, well that pissed me off even more.

Talk about subtly instilling fear into people eh?

I actually liked the show ER as pure entertainment, but after last night I'll never watch it again.

I'm also going to write a letter to the networks that aired it in Canada (CTV) and the US (NBC) and also all the advertisers that aired commercials during ER and let them know I am boycotting their products. Anyone want to help?

Also, does anyone know where you can find out what companies aired commercials during the show last night?
#26 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granola Girl
X-post

I saw it too, OMG I was so infuriated when I saw that and when Sam, the nurse said "we'll have to get a court order" because the mother didn't want her daughter tested for HIV, or her children to receive AZT therapy, well that pissed me off even more.

Talk about subtly instilling fear into people eh?

I actually liked the show ER as pure entertainment, but after last night I'll never watch it again.

I'm also going to write a letter to the networks that aired it in Canada (CTV) and the US (NBC) and also all the advertisers that aired commercials during ER and let them know I am boycotting their products. Anyone want to help?

Also, does anyone know where you can find out what companies aired commercials during the show last night?

YEAH THAT
I WANNA KNOW TOO!!!!!!!
#27 of 67 Old 12-02-2005, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

if you find that info, let us know!

#28 of 67 Old 12-03-2005, 03:15 AM

I think it was a horribly cheap shot to do an episode like this.
First of all Eliza Jane hasn't even been gone for a year yet. Second it was found that she died from an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin, not Aids. I watched the show w/ my closed minded hubby. ( the ) Who doesn't know the facts about what happened. And just didn't get it.
I on the other hand, was pissed!
The Mom came off as fair, and objective. They made it seem like she was nut.
The writers of ER should be ashamed of what they wrote.
#29 of 67 Old 12-03-2005, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I knew it was Maggiore as soon as they showed the xray scene. ER always does "ripped from the headlines" except they are given stories to write by the CDC and other medical organizations.

FYI, several years ago they did a straight-up pro-vaxx episode. Parents brought their son and daugher in (they were about 10 years old) and the one child had measles. They didn't vaxx b/c of autism concerns and had taken them to Africa and the one child died and Dr. Carter went on and on about how you couldn't get autism from vaxxing and they killed their child.

Personally, I hate how the only issue the mainstream media shows about vaxxing is autism. For me, that is just one reason not to vaxx. But whatever.

I have seen every single episode of ER and don't plan to stop watching, at least until Abby and Luka get married and have babies and live happily ever after.

Oh yeah, they did show a woman this season who wanted a family room to bf her child privately. The child was 5 or 6 and they got her a room. They just raised their eyebrows but didn't say there was anything wrong with it. But they didn't say there was anything right with it, either.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#30 of 67 Old 12-04-2005, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
just came here to write about this.....what do they do, have trolls here at MDC...????
In answer to this question. ER work hand in hand with pharmaceutical companies. Yes, they troll here, but mainly in vaccination forum, and Health and Healing. But they didn't need to troll here to get that story-line.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page