The Office - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1789 Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, I love this show! What cracks me up is the look of bewilderment everyone always has when Michael is talking to them. And the chemistry between Jim and Pam is great.

So glad it's on Thursdays now. I was actually able to sit down and watch it.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#2 of 1789 Old 01-06-2006, 12:36 PM

I love The Office! I was kind of disappointed in last night's episode, though (I didn't laugh once). I can't believe Jim told Michael about his crush on Pam, before he's gotten up the nerve to tell her about it. I'm still a devoted fan, though.
#3 of 1789 Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, Jim is really the only one who is actually somewhat nice to Michael--to his face anyway. Like, when he had the party even though he didn't want Michael there, he gave in and tried to make him feel comfortable. That's kind of why I think he told him.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't the funniest episode ever. I tend to laugh, though, when others might not think it's funny. I laugh at the awkwardness and at how horrible Michael is at being a human. He was telling one of the staff not to give out spoilers for the Titanic movie! Um, let's see... I wonder how that one ends.

Oh, and I think I am still on a laugh-high from watching The 40-Year-Old Virgin last weekend. I love Steve Carell.

#4 of 1789 Old 01-06-2006, 02:38 PM

I thought it was funny last night. I loved the competitiveness between the boat captain and Michael.
#5 of 1789 Old 01-06-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

"Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of ''the rat race'' is not yet final."
Hunter S. Thompson

Good one!

#6 of 1789 Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM

This show has become one of my favorites!! Michael is just so truly awful!!! And so clueless that he's awful..I thought last night was a very funny episode! Jim putting Dwight's stuff in the vending machine and Pam buying his pencil cup, Dwight thinking he was steering the ship, Michael being an idiot with the captain and his lame attempt at being a leader, Michael's sinking ship analogy that made that guy jump off the ship, etc..It was a great episode!

And I *love* that Michael told Jim not to give up on Pam..Good advice coming from a goober of a boss!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#7 of 1789 Old 01-13-2006, 04:49 PM

I just watched this last night for the first time, and it's HYSTERICAL! I'm sorry I've been missing it for so long - it's definitely going on my short list of TV faves!

DS and I were laughing our butts off! :

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#8 of 1789 Old 01-13-2006, 05:27 PM

i enjoy this, but i came to the conclusion last night that the humor is not so much funny, ha-ha humor but instead funny in a getting a tooth pulled without anesthesia kind of way. the awkwardness, the no laugh track silence, the absolute arrogance of michael the boss: it makes me cringe on the outside and giggle silently on the inside.

~claudia
#9 of 1789 Old 01-13-2006, 11:35 PM

Dh and I were ROLLING laughing last night!!! Michael sticking his foot into the cat scan machine was the most awesome thing I've ever seen!!! It's SUCH a funny show! And Dwight wrecking his car and still going to pick up Michael..And then his concussion making him nice..It was so nice..I love the humor and Michael just MAKES the show!! Trying to get Ryan to help him up in the bathroom..Heehee..Too funny!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 1789 Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 PM

Ditto! DH and I recorded "The Office" yesterday (I LOVE my DVR!) and were just watching it; absolutely priceless.
#11 of 1789 Old 01-15-2006, 07:39 PM

Its so hard, because allthough the writers of the original british version produce the US version...it is just not as funny. The UK show is one of the beast shows ever. We have them on DVD and watch them all the time.
I do like Steve Carell and his character but the others seem so weak compared...JMO
#12 of 1789 Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 PM

I love this show!

I just watched for the first time this wk and it was great!
#13 of 1789 Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 PM

i love the humor of this show! i sure hope it doesn't get cancelled! its one of the best comedies in a long while
#14 of 1789 Old 01-16-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
i love the humor of this show! i sure hope it doesn't get cancelled! its one of the best comedies in a long while
Good thing, I think it has a big following now.
It the funniest show on the tube right now, bar none.
#15 of 1789 Old 01-16-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatgirl
Its so hard, because allthough the writers of the original british version produce the US version...it is just not as funny. The UK show is one of the beast shows ever. We have them on DVD and watch them all the time.
I do like Steve Carell and his character but the others seem so weak compared...JMO
Ditto...
#16 of 1789 Old 01-19-2006, 02:45 AM

We LOVE this show and I'm going to borrow the UK dvd's from a friend because I've heard that it is better!
#17 of 1789 Old 01-20-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
even dwight? :
#18 of 1789 Old 01-20-2006, 11:28 PM

We love this show! Best comedy on tv. We've also started watching Earl and we love that one too. Michael is such an arrogant idiot. Only he would grill his foot trying to have bacon in bed. I was embarrassed for him at Hooter's on last night's episode. And I think Jim is cute.
#19 of 1789 Old 01-20-2006, 11:51 PM

Ditto on Jim!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#20 of 1789 Old 01-21-2006, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBerryParker
We LOVE this show and I'm going to borrow the UK dvd's from a friend because I've heard that it is better!
Yeah, I am going to stick with the US one for now because I am really enjoying it and when it's over, I'll watch the British one on DVD.

#21 of 1789 Old 01-21-2006, 12:52 AM

OK, now I think the american dwight character is waaaay funnier than the gareth character from the UK version. I think dwight acts much more desperate and tries harder to please than gareth. Anyway, this show is so funny, I always get excited when I see it pop up on our tivo schedule. I want to get it on dvd.
#22 of 1789 Old 01-21-2006, 10:42 AM

Yep, I haven't seen the british, but I'd guess if anyone was more amusing, it's dwight. I enjoy him by far the most - for some reason it's more painful to watch michael.

In case you've never seen it, here is dwight's blog, hahahaha

If you watch Lost, you might want to go back and see the previous entry.
#23 of 1789 Old 01-21-2006, 11:02 AM

From Dwight's blog:

1) I think the "others" are actually the employees of Oceanic
Airlines. Who has ever heard of Oceanic Airlines! I think it was a
fake airline that purposefully crashes and does experiments on it’s
passengers.

2) I think that the Dharma Initiative would make a cool band name.

3) I think the polar bears are actually hippies from the Dharma
Institute in polar bear outfits.

4) I think the asian guy from the Dharma film is the Korean guy’s
dad. Think about it. They’re BOTH asian.

LOL!!! What a goober..

I think I like Jim best..He's funny and sarcastic and there is an air of quiet desperation about him because he hates his job so much and is in love with Pam..I'm glad Pam found out about his crush...Gotta break up that wedding somehow!!

And Michael is just the biggest goober on the planet..Fixing his hair to be like Jim's..Ooy..Funny show!

We're going to get the British version from Netflix..I can't wait!

#24 of 1789 Old 01-21-2006, 09:03 PM

subbing - love this show!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#25 of 1789 Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I disagree - I think the US version is much funnier. Rickie Gervais although brilliant as the boss was just too disturbing, he made me uncomfortable watching it! I like Steve Carrell, because he's just a bit over teh top ridiculous, rather than creepy like Gervais was.

We are big Steve Carrell fans and we've been following him for years on the Daily show wondering WHY he was still just a correspondent there and hadn't been put on SNL or something!! I'm so glad the office has taken off and his career too. I found out watching either him or Will Ferrell on a talk show that they both auditioned for SNL the same day and they picked Will Ferrell - they should have taken them both!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#26 of 1789 Old 01-23-2006, 10:39 PM

is it just me, or does it smell like updog in here?
#27 of 1789 Old 01-23-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgr8ful

I didn't see the cruise one, but I saw the Pam/ Jim crush one and most of the last season. This show is a lot of fun and I agree, a little less disturbing than the English one, which is also a wonderful series . I haven't seen the English version for a while though. Now I need to catch a repeat of the cruise episode, it sounds hilarious.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#28 of 1789 Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgr8ful
:
#29 of 1789 Old 01-23-2006, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
I disagree - I think the US version is much funnier. Rickie Gervais although brilliant as the boss was just too disturbing, he made me uncomfortable watching it! I like Steve Carrell, because he's just a bit over teh top ridiculous, rather than creepy like Gervais was.

We are big Steve Carrell fans and we've been following him for years on the Daily show wondering WHY he was still just a correspondent there and hadn't been put on SNL or something!! I'm so glad the office has taken off and his career too. I found out watching either him or Will Ferrell on a talk show that they both auditioned for SNL the same day and they picked Will Ferrell - they should have taken them both!
I agree though I haven't seen the Brit version yet. You can almost have a tiny bit of sympathy for Steve Carell's character. That's why I think he is so good at it because it's hard to get that thin line just right.

We really love him too and are huge Daily Show fans. Have you seen The 40-Year-Old Virgin yet? Man, that was great movie!

#30 of 1789 Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 PM

I DO NOT watch tv, but I watch The Office religiously!!! When Dwight crashed his car and jumped out and puked - I can't even remember the last time I laughed so hard... It was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life...

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page