Kids TV. Some of you must watch it, lets rate it... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2002, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I forgot about The Rainbow Fish--not a television show to my knowledge--but one of our favorite videos...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2002, 01:37 AM

I'd say :

Magic School Bus
Kratts' Creatures and Zoboomafoo
Little Bear
Art Attack (a must !!)
Old Sesame Streets (really really dislike the new ones)
Popular Mechanics for Kids and Zoom

Don't like Caillou (soooo whiny and we have it both in french and english )

Personally, I'd like to see "The Electric Company" again, I have great memories of that show and another show that i can't remember the name of. It was on tv saturday mornings and had Vincent Price and a very funny witch .
Edited to say : "Found it ! It was The Hilarious House of Frightenstein!"

And what about Schoolhouse Rock ? I keep having the "Conjonction Junction" song in my head
Old 06-21-2002, 01:40 AM

Conjunction junction, what's your function?

Old 06-21-2002, 02:04 AM

:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL

That also reminds me of "I'm an Amendment to be" in
The Simpsons... sooooo funny !

:LOL:LOL
Old 06-24-2002, 05:19 PM

Anyone else's kids like JayJay the Jet Plane? My four year old loves it, but I find it annoying. We have a couple JayJay books that are Christian based, but the show leaves that out.

My kids also like
*The Teletubbies
*Blues Clues (we all LOVE Joe!)
*Bob the Builder (Where did it go? We can't find it anymore)
*Oswald(?????)
*Dora the Explorer

The boys usually watch somewhere between 30 min to 1 1/2 hours a day. It all depends on how long it takes me (and the boys) to get ready and organized.

BTW, I also noticed the one sided sexual tension between Bob and Wendy. I get the feeling she is hoping for him to one day notice her. I have to laugh everytime she says "Oh, Bob" in that breathy voice.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We only allow our kids to watch PBS and a few childrens movies that we get at the library. I find that if they watch more than about 1 hr at a time they get cranky and hyper a bad combination to get them to follow any directions.

I think a little TV of good quality has helped with language skills and learning new things. Even new ideas to add to their imagination world.

One bad thing that I have noticed with too much tv is they become dependent on being entertained and don't use their imagination.

I have been trying to ween my kids of tv by school age. This sounds a little mean but I let them watch the same set of shows every day and have not introduced new ones, hoping they will get board with them and we can just let the whole thing go gradually. It is working to some degree. They are now board with Barny.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:26 AM

ladylee, thank you for reminding me. We have "Kipper" tapes, too, and I love them. So sweet ... and the music/soundtrack is really sweet, too ...

If I can recommend a videotape series, a company called Vermont Storyworks makes videos about farms that are particularly special. One is called "Let's Go to the Farm," which is about an hour long, maybe 45 mins, and really wonderful. Doesn't talk down to the kids, and shows the workings of a dairy farm through the year. The other is "Animal Babies," about 30 mins, also beautiful. And the music soundtracks are lovely, too (a personal quirk of mine).

They also have a movie about camping, but we weren't too impressed with that one.

If anyone wants the phone number to contact them to order the videos, let me know, I can dig it out.

- Amy
Old 06-25-2002, 11:32 AM

Thanks for that recommendation, Amy-that's definitely something Isabel would like. I'm going to run a search on it...

User Tag List