Kids TV. Some of you must watch it, lets rate it... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-14-2002, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter Bronwyn is 17 months old and I will admit that we watch tv with her and sometimes even leave her to watch by herself. 99% of it is PBS. I adore Between the Lions. She likes Teletubbies and perks up any time any program features music. Her dad likes to watch soccer with her (she gets very excited and yells 'Ball! Ball!' while chasing her own soccer ball around the room. Dad also watches Powerpuff Girls with her. I'm not nuts about the violence but he wants her to see girls as the heroes, taking care of themselves.

What is on your tv and what do you think of it?
#2 of 38 Old 01-15-2002, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds who is 5 yo loves PBS. Mainly Zoboomafoo and Arthur. He also loves watching "Animal Planet"~Jeff Corwin, The Croc Hunter and the other documentary animal shows. I don't mind him watching these because he has learned so much about animals~he wants to be a zookeeper when he grows up .

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 38 Old 01-15-2002, 01:57 AM

Now that 2 of my kids are in grade school, we have cut down on tv a lot. Second DD should have probably never been exposed to tv--she tends to act a little addictive about it. When she does watch, she totally zones out and she asks me if she can watch all the time, even though she knows we don't turn it on on school afternoons.

I do let 4 yr. old watch sometimes in the A.M. Sesame St. and Cayou (sp?) are on before she goes to pre-school. I find Cayou too syruppy. She liked Noddy better, but they don't show it at that time anymore.

I like Between the Lions too. I think it is very well done for emerging readers. Kids do like the one about the cats in China (can't think of the name) They watch it on Fridays. It seems okay, but I do like the fact that it shows them people from another part of the world that are a different race and culture.

They also watch Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon on Saturdays when my DH takes them to my SIL when I am at work. Wish they didn't watch it.
#4 of 38 Old 01-15-2002, 02:26 AM

My almost dd (almost 5) watches shows on Nickelodeon, Disney, and PBS. I always monitor it and she it limited to how much she can watch each day, which varies. Some of her (our) favorite shows are Arthur, Blue's Clues, Zoboomafoo, Clifford, Doug, Pepper Anne (it is her favorite right now) and others. The little one (20 1/2) months loves Blue's Clues and Teletubbies when ever they come on she squells with excitment (so did the older dd- dh and I can't stand Teletubbies so it is not that often it is on).
#5 of 38 Old 01-15-2002, 11:40 AM

I always thought I would let my kids watch a lot of educational TV. Now, I doubt Juniper will watch TV at all until she is about 5, and then hardly at all. My mom is a teacher, and recently she attended a workshop where they addressed a lot of problems caused by watching TV and using computers. More and more kids are losing fine motor skills, and coordination. They also have problems reading, they start losing it halfway across the page, and halfway through words. Often their writing gets sloppier and sloppier across the page as well. These problems are symptoms of not being able to cross back and forth between sides of the brain. It is because they are focused on a screen. My mom sees this, in varying degrees, in all of her students, and I can see it in me and my husband. Neither of us watched what is usually considered to be excessive amounts of television. I learned a lot as a kid watching TV, but I could have learned even more from books, and certainly from doing more physical activity.
#6 of 38 Old 01-15-2002, 12:19 PM

There is another thread like this on 'life with toddler', I think. Check it out.

Our ds is almost 2 1/2, and we let him watch a few shows regularly, like 'zomboomafoo', 'clifford', but for the most part, we do videos from the library. Still vegging in front of the tv, but I feel like I have more control. And just like with books,( he wants them read to him over and over again, educators say they learn the language that way), he wants to watch certain videos over and over again,I'm hoping he's learning how to treat others with kindness, like Pooh.
But I would like to chime in that your ds sounds too little to watch 'powerpuff girls', I've never a whole show, but I cant stand that type of animation, fast, unrealistic, lots of sound effects. I completely adore what your dh says about wanting to show her girls as heros, but I bet there is a kinder, dare I say, age appropriete (sp?) way
LOL, mama-t
#7 of 38 Old 01-15-2002, 04:51 PM

I like Bill Cosby's Little Bill series. It features a mom, dad, 3 kids, and a great grandma (Alice the Great) all living together in one of the NY boroughs. Little Bill (named after his papa) goes to preschool with an ethnically diverse group. He seems to come from a loving and nurturing family, and I think he's adorable.

That's my take on it.

Of course, I was raised on TV--I'm a sesame street and scooby doo, girl from the 70s.

#8 of 38 Old 01-16-2002, 12:18 AM

Dd is 3, and I try to keep her tv time to no more than an hour total a day. We do try to vary what she watches, and she likes lots of different shows (mostly PBS) and videos, including: Zoboomafoo, Jay Jay the Jet Plane, Blues Clues, Bear In The Big Blue House, Kipper, Caillou, Raffi concert videos, Thomas the Tank Engine (she LOVES trains!) and we often borrow videos from the library for a change of pace. Also, about once every couple of weeks (we just started this) she, dh and I will rent a movie and snuggle on the couch to watch it - we've seen both Toy Story movies and some of the tamer Disney ones. We only watch those together, though, because she needs us to explain a lot of it!
#9 of 38 Old 01-24-2002, 10:23 PM

We don't have cable, so our kids only watch PBS. My favorite shows for preschoolers are Dragontales, Caillou and (gasp!) Barney. Sagwa is really cute, but sometimes my 27 mo. old gets scared while watching.
#10 of 38 Old 01-25-2002, 08:26 PM

Don't forget The Wiggles, & Kipper the Dog!
#11 of 38 Old 02-06-2002, 06:39 AM

Well, we don't actually watch TV shows....we have things on tape. So we don't get PBS and I miss all the wonderful nature shows. Wah!

Ok. Sorry got off track!

We like Blues Clues & Bear in the Big Blue House. I remember liking Out of the Box. Is that still on? I absolutely cannot bear to watch Teletubbies or Barney. and I can't watch cartoons or shows where people are constantly screaming and the action/tension is always up up up.

We watch National geographic videos too. They aren't in English but we still like them. We also watch old musicals.
#12 of 38 Old 02-06-2002, 10:12 AM

Mine 2yo and 4yo) like Stanley on the Disney channel. Both have learned lots about animals.

They like the website too. Also the PBS website.
#13 of 38 Old 02-06-2002, 02:00 PM

Yammer, you're a hoot!
Ds is 7 mos and I think we're getting rid of the TV...Yeah!
#14 of 38 Old 02-06-2002, 03:58 PM

Here are my favs:

Between the Lions (absolute favorite. even I pull up a cushin for this one.)
Bob the builder
Dragon Tales (I really like the way the brother and sister get along)
Magic School bus
Zaboomafoo & Kratts Creatures
Zoom
And yes, Teletubbies

Ones I hate:

Seseme Street (Elmo annoys me to no end, and all the day care crap and bottles drive me crazy. I guess I should clarify new ones because the old ones on noggin still rock)

Barney (those kids frighten me)

Calliu (does he ever stop whining and throwing tantrums?)

Arthur (all the kids are so meant o each other. They say such horrible things. I find it a bit disturbing)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#15 of 38 Old 02-06-2002, 04:44 PM

Cyberchase, new on PBS, is my guys new fave. Even my almost 11 year old, who usually spends his TV time on the X Games or Animal Planet, will sit down and watch this one. My 4 and 7 year olds love it! They don't even realize they are learning math. Good show! Arthur is my favorite.
#16 of 38 Old 02-07-2002, 09:17 PM

Lofty from Bob annoys me too...
Hunter loves Zaboomafoo, arthur, Clifford
I love Arthur and Little Bill
Luckily he's in school from 8:30-12 everyday so we miss most of the shows he would want to see. ....he's much happier tv free.....
#17 of 38 Old 02-08-2002, 07:32 PM

has anyone else noticed the strange sexual tension between Bob and Wendy. Or am i imagining things?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#18 of 38 Old 02-11-2002, 05:27 PM

I love Little Bear.
#19 of 38 Old 02-11-2002, 05:52 PM
m&m

Well, my three yr old used to (last year) watch Zaboomafoo, and Bear in th bb house,Elmo, and animal shows, then moved to Clifford and Dragon Tales, and Blues Clues only out of peer pressure (if you can imagine that). Now she likes art attack, Crazy Quilt, Zoom once a month, decorating and cooking shows, and Between the Lions (our fave).

Of course I watch most shows with her -

I'm curious to see if or what my 6 month old will watch - right now she is not allowed to watch any tv, or may galnce at the screen if we are watched decorating shows - loves them.

Did your 2cd or other kids watch with the eldest? who picks the show?
#20 of 38 Old 02-11-2002, 06:47 PM

2 dds: 3 1/2 and 20 mos. (no lectures on AAP please)

No cable, so we occasionally watch PBS: Dragon Tales, Arthur, Caillou, Clifford. No Barney, No Tubbies, No Elmo. Sesame Street sold out when Elmo came around.

That new Asian cat show on PBS is NOT popular. Everything else is too late in the morning or during someone's naptime. We're big fans of Veggie Tales and Winnie the Pooh (not the new one).
#21 of 38 Old 02-12-2002, 05:17 PM

yammer too funny. I have found it odd that he lives alone etc...
#22 of 38 Old 02-12-2002, 07:26 PM

Yammer---:LOL
I think it says something the way Bob has named his vehicles.

We don't have cable (no PBS either) so ds watches videos. He is allowed one while I shower and one while I make dinner if he doesn't want to help--or if it is a dinner he can't help with. He actually really likes Caillou and Mr. Rogers. I have learned to like Caillou because he is really cautious and slow-to-warm like ds. So when we do something new that Caillou has tried I remind him of Caillou's experience. He warms up a lot quicker. Caillou got my son on x-country skis!!
But, as much as I even like having an occasional video to watch while cuddling with dh, I think I might just toss the boob tube out when we move next month.
#23 of 38 Old 02-25-2002, 11:50 PM

Ds is 3 1/2 and his favorites are 'Blues Clues' and 'Maggie & the Ferocious Beast', both of which I like a lot too. Personally, I also really like 'Kipper'...I think it's charming, but ds doesn't really care for it, so I've been known to watch it alone

Other than Blue and Maggie he doesn't watch much TV...he has a few favorite videos (Muppets and animal shows) that he watches occasionally.

Maureen
#24 of 38 Old 02-26-2002, 12:49 PM

When our set is on it is on PBS, HBO family, Disney, or TLC and sometimes Animal Planet.

Our favorite shows are Sesame Street, Sagwa, Dragon Tales, Kindergarten (HBO family, this one is my fav), Out of the Box (I hate the song at the end).

My friends will say "did you see such and such on t.v. the other day" and I say "no, I was watching Sesame Street".
#25 of 38 Old 06-17-2002, 11:30 AM

We own these tapes of children's shows (which means they have my stamp of approval

Kipper--so simple, so sweet and therefore wonderful!
Go Exercise with the Teletubbies-for the scenes of the British football team boggling "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes." I love that.
Wiggles--we're big fans--great, silly fun & great for body awareness. She and I dance around when it's too hot to play outside. Especially great is "Wiggly Wiggly World"--Tim Finn formerly of Crowded House & Split Enz does a song, and there's a beautiful song called "Taba Naba" by Christine Anu that we love ...

We barely ever watch TV--but Zooboomafoo is great, isn't it? And I've seen Dora the Explorer & was impressed.
#26 of 38 Old 06-17-2002, 05:32 PM

lilyka, I'm with you about "Arthur" and the meanness. Which is a shame, because the show has good points. But we don't want them watching it anymore because of the mean-spiritedness of a lot of the characters.

We've stopped putting on NickJr shows in the house, for the most part, though I did like "Blue's Clues," "Little Bill" and "Little Bear." Don't like the commercials in the house. We've watched some of "BC" again, though, since the new guy started ("Joe") because we watched the first one that they showed at night and the kids really like him. (He is kinda cute ... )

"Zaboomafoo" is a favorite, and after dinner DH & the kids curl up on the couch for "Wild Discovery," which while not a kids show specifically, is a lot of fun.

My kids don't love "Barney," but I don't understand how so many folks are so anti. He's purple, he's happy, and he's unconditionally loving and accepting. How bad can that be?

"Between the Lions" and "Reading Rainbow" are the last two regulars in the house.

On a slight off-topic note, re "Reading Rainbow," DS#1(4yo) recently has been interested in "Star Trek," which we sort of let him see (with supervision, and a finger on the fast-forward button). So he recognized LeVar Burton ("Geordi" on ST:TNG) from "RR", and said to me, "Is that LeVar?" He was fascinated about LeVar Burton seemingly on a spaceship and then how does he do the "RR" shows and why are people calling him another name and why does he have that thing on is eyes but he doesn't wear glasses on "RR". It's been a great lesson for him in the reality and unreality of the media ... which we all tell our kids about but I don't know if they really get it. He's getting it now.

- Amy
#27 of 38 Old 06-17-2002, 05:39 PM

Oh, yeah, how could I, I forgot about "Cyberchase," DS#1(4yo)'s current favorite. Forget favorite; it's all he talks about this week. Since he started watching that show, he's displayed all the behaviors that make us question whether or not we should even have a TV: whining about watching anything else, constantly singing the theme song, and not wanting to leave the house for fear he'll miss the next one, which is the most disturbing.

Anyway, it's real thick with the math, which is good, but can be very dark, which is bad. But a good show generally.

- Amy
#28 of 38 Old 06-17-2002, 07:50 PM

Only PBS or approved videos. I can't stand to have them watch commercials.

My oldest likes CyberChase the best now. A year ago it was Mr. Roger's (mainly for the factory tours) and Dragontales. A year before that it was Zaboomafoom.

Dh lets him watch Scooby Doo videos and the Star Wars movies, both of which he loves passionately. I suppose it is good for them to bond over something that is on both their levels at the same time!

My little one likes Sesame Street and Little Bear videos. The one longer length movie he is passionate about is Shrek. His Daddy also appreciates that one a great deal.

It seems like pretty much the only time I watch TV myself is when there is laundry to fold.
#29 of 38 Old 06-17-2002, 07:55 PM

My dd and I love to watch Bear in the Big Blue House (I grew up on Jim Hensen's Muppet Show), Out of the Box and Trading Spaces. Ok, the last one is more for me, but my dd just loves the music.

Recently my dd started asking to watch Barney. I have NO idea where she got this from because Barney and his Stepford children tend to scare me. Is this the first bad habit she picked up on the "streets?"
#30 of 38 Old 06-18-2002, 01:23 AM

my ds's ages 3 3/4 and 2 like to watch just about anything I would let them! aGH!! But we really only watch a hanful of shows on tv...mostly PBS and Disney and Animal Planet and TLC and HGTV. No nick jr because of all the evil commercials. Their favorites are Out of the Box, Stanley, Between the Lions, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Steve Corwin, The Croc Hunter (their abosolute fave!!!), Trading Spaces (my absolute fave!!!), Hometime, and Suprise Gardner. We watch on average 2 hours of tv a day (although we are having more and more days where it is less and sometimes even none!! Hurray!!) We also have a bunch of videos, their favorites being Veggie Tales, Blue's Clues, Maisey, and ANY dinosaur video (mostly documentary types from Discovery or PBS, but my favorite is Bonehead detectives from Discovery Kids).
I am so disapointed in PBS these days...more worldly and less educational than when I was young. We get two PBS stations and the shows are awful....Sagwa (my kids like) teaches nothing that I can tell, Caiou teaches kids to be whiney and they don't every have to say please and thank you and if you cry and whine enough you get what you want, Seasame Street isn't even as educational as it used to be...it's now just filled with Elmo talking ot his gold fish about junk!!!!! And what does Arthur teach that some cartoon on some other station doesn't? And what's with all those ad's? (ie this show was brought to you by Kix, or Chuck E Cheese, etc.....it's not even commercial free!) Our PBS doesn't even carry Reading Rainbow (except on saturadays, I think at some weird time) or Mr. Roger's.............I'm so disapointed!!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page