Sopranos Fans - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 679 Old 03-14-2006, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems like they usually run it again on Monday. But I am sure they will run it again before this weekend.

Janice does have another child, a son named Harpo who is estranged from her. I don't think they have spoken in years.
#62 of 679 Old 03-14-2006, 02:09 PM

That's weird. I have never seen them run it on Monday.

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#63 of 679 Old 03-14-2006, 03:02 PM

I have been following the debate about Junior and whether or not he is faking his dementia. I am curious to see how that pans out. It seems like it really is dementia, which would definitely be ironic given that he was faking that a few seasons (when was that anyway, it's been so long!) back.

He looked pretty lost and scared when he was hiding in that closet. And I remember thinking that it seemed pretty silly to bother hiding the gun in such a consipicuous spot under the bed (and I also thought, boy, that sure is clean under there!) that he must not have all his wits about him.

It would be an interesting twist if they made it that Junior was actually faking the whole thing. But I still kinda think it's the real thing. His dependence on others plays into the story line they seem to be building about family and loyalty, etc.

Only 5 more days til it's on again!
#64 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 06:05 PM

I just watched last night and had many of the same thoughts as y'all. it never occurred to me that the time line was off, but I did mention to dh that I had NO recollection of janice being pregnant, or meadow being engaged.

okay, I didn't see it mentioned here so I have to bring it up. . .did anyone else notice that right after the tattooed booby shot of janice breastfeeding, a hobby train car passed by that was a big ad for "nestle nesquick." I was shocked. there MUST be something to that, don't you think?

I'll be reading and watching

namaste.gif

#65 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 PM

I don't understand why people think the timeline is off. First of all, time passed since the last season and secondly, the writers can start this season from whatever point they want anyway.

Certainly, the plot and character development aren't affected and it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the show.

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#66 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have digital cable.....and have the episodes descriptions for the next 2 weeks. BUT I dont know how to hide what Im writing......do a spoiler.... Can anyone tell me and then Ill print out what it says.....
#67 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 06:31 PM

ok....here it is:

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
THIS SUNDAY..."Join the Club".....Tony has trouble on a business trip to the West Coast; the New Jersey faction mournes the loss of another associate; Christopher discusses terrorism with the FBI. THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY....."Mayhem".....Tony tries to head off a potential lawsuit; Silvio suffers from the strain of added responsiblity; Christopher proposes a business opportunity to a friend from rehab (tim Daley)
#68 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 PM

This sounds very interesting:

Christopher discusses terrorism with the FBI.

And

That Tim Daly plot sounds familiar, no?

#69 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Also, where on digital cable are these previews?

Although I think the Sopranos Web site has them too.

#70 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni
okay, I didn't see it mentioned here so I have to bring it up. . .did anyone else notice that right after the tattooed booby shot of janice breastfeeding, a hobby train car passed by that was a big ad for "nestle nesquick." I was shocked. there MUST be something to that, don't you think?
that's some funny stuff. boob, nestle! boob! don't you get it? boob!

i don't think that the timeline is off or wrong or anything. starting at the end of a story and working back again is a prefectly legitimate story telling device. it shouldn't interfer with your enjoyment of the show. it's really only interesting if you're trying to figure out what will come next, i guess. if you think the show will go from tony being shot or if it will loop back in time to somewhere between the end of last season and the beginning of the last episode. it doesn't really matter at all.

kate
#71 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Also, where on digital cable are these previews?
I have DVR and digital cable with remote.....so its like TIVO in that I can schedule my programs to tape ahead of time. I can also look at shows for the next two weeks and see when/if they are on and usually what the shows are about. So I can see LOST episodes descriptions or the LWORD....most of the Cable shows like Showtime and HBO. (Dh works for the cable company, otherwise I wouldnt have all the extra stuff like this )
#72 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 10:07 PM

I think that the Nestle thing was just another product placement -- did anyone else notice how many of those there were last season? All those Cokes, and talking about how great the cell phones were. Ugh. And now the Porsche!

Re: age, Gene and Tony played CYO basketball together, and he said he was two years shy of fifty, right? Is Janice really older than Tony?
#73 of 679 Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65
Re: age, Gene and Tony played CYO basketball together, and he said he was two years shy of fifty, right? Is Janice really older than Tony?
i have this weird feeling that she has been both.

but i could be totally wrong so don't jump on me if i am.

kate
#74 of 679 Old 03-17-2006, 01:54 PM

I couldnt remember if she was older or younger either,
here's the HBO website character profile on Janice;

"I've been looking for my soul mate all my life. Madonn' have I looked."

Janice is Tony's big sister, the eldest child of Livia and Johnny Boy Soprano. Unlike her brother, who's spent most of his life within a short radius of his birthplace, Janice had a serious case of wanderlust. She hated her home life while growing up and was constantly at odds with her mother. (Livia chided her about her weight and, according to Janice, once spiked her iced tea with broken glass.) So as soon as she graduated from high school, Janice hit the road.

A selective list of Janice's activities over the next twenty-odd years includes the following: she lived in San Francisco and then Los Angeles, where she joined an ashram. While living in the ashram, she worked for a moving company and changed her name to Parvati Wasatch; "Parvati" after a Hindu goddess and "Wasatch" after a Utah mountain range. She traveled around Europe, where she married a French Canadian named Eugene, and had a son they named Harpo. Eventually, Parvati ended up in Seattle, working in an espresso bar. She left that job after convincing a Workers Comp board that she had developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from operating the steamed milk machine.

Parvati was living off her disability checks when word reached her of Livia's stroke. Letting bygones be bygones, she returned to New Jersey to look after her invalid mother - and her inheritance. Going home wasn't her only retro move: she changed her name back to Janice and became engaged to her old flame, Richie Aprile. The re-christened Janice tried hard to make their relationship work - she even let Richie hold a gun to her head during sex - but it wasn't meant to be. One night at the dinner table he hit her in the mouth, so she calmly retrieved a gun from a kitchen cabinet and shot him to death. Shortly thereafter Tony dispatched the grieving almost-widow back to Seattle.

But when Livia died, Janice returned home to stay. In short order she got into a dispute with Svetlana - the Russian woman Tony hired to look after Livia following the Richie incident - over Livia's record collection. Svetlana said that Livia had given the records to her; Janice insisted she return them. The cold war escalated quickly: Janice stole Svetlana's prosthetic leg, ransoming it for the LP's. Svetlana retaliated by having a couple of her friends break some of Janice's ribs. While hospitalized, Janice experienced an epiphany and found Christ. She took up residence in the house where she grew up and, for a time, half-heartedly pursued a career in Christian rock music.

She carried on a brief but torrid affair with Ralph Cifaretto, but ended it when someone better became available: the newly widowed Bobby Baccilieri. Janice decided she was just what the stalwart Bobby needed to get over the death of his wife, and she quickly stepped into the role, becoming a soccer mom to his two kids. But when she got arrested for assaulting the mother of a peewee soccer player, Bobby told her it was time for "anger classes or whatever." The counseling seemed to be working, until Tony taunted her about her long-estranged son, Harpo. "What's French-Canadian for 'I grew up without a mother?"" he asked, provoking his sister to come at him with a fork.
#75 of 679 Old 03-18-2006, 01:30 AM

Well, I didn't think either of them looked 50, so I looked up the actors birth dates on IMDB. James Gandolfini is 44 and Aida Turturro is 43.

#76 of 679 Old 03-18-2006, 08:41 AM

It's on again tomorrow!

By the way, did anyone catch the fact that when Tony was shot, he had a full pot of pasta simmering on the stove? The gas range was never turned off. Though I think the producers will hope we forgive that little tidbit, since they probably won't make any plot-issues about it.
#77 of 679 Old 03-18-2006, 05:45 PM

I was interested in the Tony/ Carmella relationship. Is it just me or is it Season One all over again? They have some romance going... the sushi thing is sweet. But it is still Tony disappointing Carm over and over, refusing to give her what she askes for and placating her with baubles so she feels she shouldn't complain. And she is going right along with it. He shafted her on the call to the housing inspector, which was really important to her. He sort of cheated on her emotionally by going for sushi by himself and then he refused to ackowledge that it was a slight and she backed off... let him off the hook. Why? Nice car, Carm. I found it interesting that she is friendly with Big Pussy's widow again and thought that the look on her face when she saw Angies new car was interesting. Angie is free of the mob stuff, free of her husband and doing very well on her own. I think for a moment Carmella realised she was thisclose to being there and was sad she didn't have the guts to go for it.

I hope she really likes that Cayenne.
#78 of 679 Old 03-18-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
I think for a moment Carmella realised she was thisclose to being there and was sad she didn't have the guts to go for it.
I think she definetly has regrets. Her character is really interesting.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#79 of 679 Old 03-18-2006, 07:57 PM

It never occurred to me that the timeline might be off. That's a really interesting idea. It would explain why Janice has a baby that's over a year old when she wasn't even pregnant last season.

It might also explain why Eugene was such a major character in this episode when in the past he was one of the secondary characters. Maybe he will become more prominent in upcoming episodes.

Hmmmmm....much to think about now!
#80 of 679 Old 03-18-2006, 10:11 PM
lab

Okay, I'm making a prediction:

Tony will relive the past 18 months leading up to the shooting while laying on the kitchen floor bleeding. And the show will end. So we'll never know what happened to Tony and if he ever dies. Also, how ironic would it be that the family he loves and does everything for is what eventually kills him....

Doesn't that seem like something HBO would do!

Now I'm off to read the rest of the posts. I wanted to get that out before I did!

ETA: I just read the thread and realized the 'victim' is now known as Tony, so I'm editing....

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds16

#81 of 679 Old 03-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni
did anyone else notice that right after the tattooed booby shot of janice breastfeeding, a hobby train car passed by that was a big ad for "nestle nesquick." I was shocked. there MUST be something to that, don't you think?
Yes, I noticed, I laughed and then sighed because you can promote bf and then of all things to advertise Nestle Quik (however it's spelled)!
#82 of 679 Old 03-19-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab
Okay, I'm making a prediction:

Tony will relive the past 18 months leading up to the shooting while laying on the kitchen floor bleeding. And the show will end. So we'll never know what happened to Tony and if he ever dies. Also, how ironic would it be that the family he loves and does everything for is what eventually kills him....

Doesn't that seem like something HBO would do!
Yes -- EXCEPT that I can see people getting miffed that we don't know what's happened to Tony. I think the series could get away with this for one or two episodes...but 17? We've got over a year to go with this series. People might start not to care what happens between then and now, and just get pissed that we aren't being told what's going on NOW.

I still love the idea, though.
#83 of 679 Old 03-19-2006, 12:54 PM

I thought Angie still got payments from Tony/The Family.

#84 of 679 Old 03-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Maybe my memory is bad but I thought they cut her loose. Anyone?
#85 of 679 Old 03-19-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
Maybe my memory is bad but I thought they cut her loose. Anyone?
That's what I thought too. I seem to remember Tony saying something about how she's received enough money. I could be wrong, though. I miss things on that show all the time and don't catch them until I've seen the episode a couple of times.
#86 of 679 Old 03-20-2006, 08:02 AM

They may as well just hand the Emmy to Edie Falco right now.

That was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen.

Wow.
#87 of 679 Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine

Wow.
Funny, I was going to write basically the same thing. Edie Falco's performance had Emmy written all over it. The cinematography was incredible and I really enjoyed the whole premise. It was almost Lynch-ian, no?
Know what else struck me? AJ has turned into a HOTTIE!
#88 of 679 Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Wow, great minds must think alike.

I was just coming here to say that the best thing about last night's episode was EDIE FALCO. She is just amazing. I've always been a fan of hers. I wonder if she was going through her chemo (IRL) in some of those scenes? There were certain points where her hair looked like a wig and others where it looked like hers.

So, is Tony gonna live, or what? I felt encouraged when in the dream sequences, the doctor who saw him after he fell down the steps said that he was lucky to be alive after something like that. I just cannot imagine the show if Tony is gone.

Sorry, I'll have to disagree about AJ. He gives me the willies. He was being such a jerk last night.

Oh, and btw, my dh (who is a general surgeon and is usually VERY critical of Hollywood hospital/medical scenes) was VERY impressed with the hospital scenes last night. And from my own experience as a nurse, those scenes where Tony pulled out his breathing tube were very real. I've had patients look the exact same way and do the exact same thing. And the wound on his abdomen-very real.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#89 of 679 Old 03-20-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine

Wow.
ITA!! Edie was amazing.

AJ is a hottie. wow! And what was with Junior? Is he acting like his mind is failing to have his family at his beck and call? He seemed quite coherent in the scene with him and his lawyer.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#90 of 679 Old 03-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lucky One
Sorry, I'll have to disagree about AJ. He gives me the willies. He was being such a jerk last night.

Oh, and btw, my dh (who is a general surgeon and is usually VERY critical of Hollywood hospital/medical scenes) was VERY impressed with the hospital scenes last night. And from my own experience as a nurse, those scenes where Tony pulled out his breathing tube were very real. I've had patients look the exact same way and do the exact same thing. And the wound on his abdomen-very real.
What I was wondering (and maybe you'd be able to give your opinion on this) is whether the way the doctor treated Carmella and the rest of the family legit. I mean, his behavior/word choices struck me as awfully harsh and uncaring. Do doctors really speak to family members that way when their relative is near-death?

As for AJ, I can't believe Carmella is treating him that way. Sure, he's a F up, but doesn't she realize that with Tony critical that AJ is incredibly vulnerable right now???
I wonder if he's going to live up to his promise to Tony and seek retribution???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page