Sopranos Fans - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 679 Old 03-23-2006, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the Purgatory thing was pretty obvious, but I do like the idea that the feds are trying to hook Christopher with the terrorism thing. Very interesting... I had sort of forgotten about that part of the episode with all the other discussion about the show. Anyway that's not really a bad strategy on the part of the feds. It has as good a chance of working as anything else.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 679 Old 03-23-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christeeny
Did anyone notice that when Tony was on the phone with his wife, the voice was NOT Carmella's? My guess it was the voice of Tony's ex gf who killed herself. It sounded like her anyways....
yes,yes I thought I was losing it... It did sound like the one that committed suicide. Wondering why now????
#123 of 679 Old 03-23-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Photograph
yes,yes I thought I was losing it... It did sound like the one that committed suicide. Wondering why now????
It's not her.

#124 of 679 Old 03-23-2006, 06:12 PM
lab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
About the voice of 'Carmela' on the phone thing.

I listened intently during the entire show because I immediately recognized that it was not Carmela. The thing is, I heard Jennifer Melfy, Carmela, his mother and Janice's voices all at various times.

I thought it was a brilliant way to portray the 'woman in his life' as more than just one woman!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#125 of 679 Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab
About the voice of 'Carmela' on the phone thing.

I listened intently during the entire show because I immediately recognized that it was not Carmela. The thing is, I heard Jennifer Melfy, Carmela, his mother and Janice's voices all at various times.

I thought it was a brilliant way to portray the 'woman in his life' as more than just one woman!
But the point is, it's a place with no connections to Tony's real life.

#126 of 679 Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly
But the point is, it's a place with no connections to Tony's real life.
However -- it's a place where he has two kids, a boy and a girl. Also, he has little to no qualms about cheating on his wife. So there connections, albeit not many.
#127 of 679 Old 03-25-2006, 04:10 PM

Betcha Tony is in a coma for just this next episode, and it ends with him opening his eyes.
#128 of 679 Old 03-25-2006, 09:55 PM

:

he can't stay in a coma forever.
#129 of 679 Old 03-25-2006, 11:01 PM
rn

I agree w/ both the above posts...
I even think he may come out of the coma this next episode.

so who do you all think is going to be the one to whack uncle Junior for what he has done?
#130 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine
Why not? i don't watch any TV whatsoever -- except for the Sopranos. I've been watching this show since Season One, and each year (or years...) I subscribe to HBO in time for the new season, and unsubscribe afterward.

I appreciate good art. Which is what I feel the Sopranos is. Extremely well written, well acted, well filmed art.

Everything else on TV is crap (IMO), so I don't bother with anything else.
I've been trying to get my dh to turn off our cabale completely, so getting HBO would not help my case. I've been watching it since it came out, too... but the past couple of seasons, I've just waited for the dvds. This time, knowing it's the last season, it's a bit harder to wait.

And just cause I can't resist telling the story for the hundredth time... year before last I was down in the French Quarter for my birthday and, I got a big bear hug from "Tony" himself... and few birthday drinks.

I'll be lurking until I cave for the HBO or the dvd set comes out.
#131 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2a&a
I've been trying to get my dh to turn off our cabale completely, so getting HBO would not help my case. I've been watching it since it came out, too... but the past couple of seasons, I've just waited for the dvds. This time, knowing it's the last season, it's a bit harder to wait.

And just cause I can't resist telling the story for the hundredth time... year before last I was down in the French Quarter for my birthday and, I got a big bear hug from "Tony" himself... and few birthday drinks.

I'll be lurking until I cave for the HBO or the dvd set comes out.
You know, Big Love on HBO is also a really great show. That would cut the cost of a subscription in half, if you figure it per show. Must get HBO.....
#132 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2a&a
Ahhh -- I'm so jealous!!

You might not want to lurk in this forum if you don't want to know what happens before you get those DVDs....
#133 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did anyone notice that when Tony was on the phone with his wife, the voice was NOT Carmella's? My guess it was the voice of Tony's ex gf who killed herself. It sounded like her anyways....
I swear that was Annabella Sciorra on the phone! Tony's girlfriend who was the Mercedes saleswoman (and was another of Dr. Melfi's patients)...I'm convinced it was her! He's dreamt of her in the past...remember the episode where she says "to the moon, Alice, POW" and then says she never got to have children because she died too young? Very powerful scene.....

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#134 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I saw the previews for tonights episode, and it lookslike Silvio is taking the reins and Carm tells AJ he is a "cross to bear"...

Can't wait!!!

One more thing, during last week's show, I turned to dh and said, "Edie Falco is the best actress I've ever seen." She completely blows me away. I'm so glad to see I'm not alone in my admiration

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#135 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia
IOne more thing, during last week's show, I turned to dh and said, "Edie Falco is the best actress I've ever seen." She completely blows me away. I'm so glad to see I'm not alone in my admiration
ITA. I remember the scene she did with Tony when they were in the home movie room there and she was arguing with him - OMG she was AMAZING in that scene. Huge respect for her.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#136 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am able to completely suspend my disbelief and forget that she's not really Carmela! Ok, they're all wonderful, except Steven Van Zandt. Love him to death, but he doesn't cut it for me, acting wise

Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion AJ might want in the family business? And, for some reason, I'm worried about Finn....

#137 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty
ITA. I remember the scene she did with Tony when they were in the home movie room there and she was arguing with him - OMG she was AMAZING in that scene. Huge respect for her.
Was that when he (almost??) hit her right before they broke up? That scene was unbelievable.
#138 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia
Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion AJ might want in the family business? And, for some reason, I'm worried about Finn....
I don't know if he wants in, but I can't see that there's much hope for him regarding anything else. However, he seems to be inept at everything...if he does try to kill Junior, he'll probably botch it bigtime.
#139 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I've always felt like Tony wanted more for his children and would never hear of allowing AJ to follow in his footsteps like he did in his father's. ITA AJ would botch up most anything

#140 of 679 Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty
Thanks for reminding me of that episode. I thought their break-up scene was much more impressive and real than the hospital one on a number of levels. The hospital scene wife-to-husband dying was a little too predictable and too meladramtic for my taste. I have been extremely impressed by Edie Falco since the beginning, but that hospital scene didn't really put her on another level for me. I have seen that scene before in so many nighttime dramas, unlike most of the rest of the writing of the Sopranos, which I do think is ground-breaking.

#141 of 679 Old 03-27-2006, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well, okay, we need to get out of the hospital, STAT. It was NOT Annabella Sciorra on the phone tonight. I've never heard that voice before

Next week looks interesting

#142 of 679 Old 03-27-2006, 03:22 AM
lab

Wow! Tonight's episode was amazing. I loved the song playing at the end (somewhere over the rainbow), how beautifully fitting!

I'm sticking to my theory of the 'phone voice'. It's a mixture of voices. And tonight, I swear, was Jennifer Melfy.

I loved it that Carmela saw the looks Paulie and Thin Man were giving. She'll get tough on them! Poor Paulie, he's such a doofus.

Carmela broke my heart tonight with the AJ comment. She needed to run straight to him and not Melfy with an apology. That poor kid has been angry and misunderstood for years.

ds20, dd18, ds17
#143 of 679 Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 AM

I'm kinda bummed they showed the previews for next week. If they had't, we would have been left wondering whether or not Tony was brain-damaged.

Great dream sequence with Steve Buscemi. Nice how they introduced the afterlife concept. Doesn't look like he's going to hell...
#144 of 679 Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 AM

the wife one the phone in the coma scenes was never intended to be anything other than not carmela. i think if it had been anything or anyone interesting they would have credited it.
#145 of 679 Old 03-27-2006, 12:45 PM
rn

Regarding the phone... I think it said in that article (there is a link on this thread) that the phone voice was nobody in particular and really meant nothing.

last night was great.

asking Carmela if he was dead, so serious and creepy.
Tony out of the coma looking worse than ever sitting in the chair was awesome... Christopher talking to him about the movie! it was classic, they are all so out for themselves and self centered when it comes down to it.
Even Carmela! very interesting therapy session.
And those long faces in the elevator... it was very cool they had carmela catch that.
#146 of 679 Old 03-27-2006, 03:04 PM

Oh, I am so happy that Tony didnt die. Even though he is a cretin, I have a total soft spot in my heart for him. That scene at the house with all the lights and the family waiting for him was fascinating. I was talking to the tv, saying don't go to the party, not yet!

I was glad that word got out that AJ was trying to get a gun and the guys stopped him. I agree that he wouldnt be able to take care of business without botching it.

Poor Sil, just cant handle the pressure. I like him too. He was trying so hard to do the "right thing". I couldnt believe how quickly everyone just fell out of line and started doing their own thing. I am glad that Carmela saw those guys with their long faces. It should have seemed so transparent how they hesitated giving the money then all of a sudden gave it up. What wankers.

And the movie, man that is just hilarious. Cleaver! All I could think of was would people mistake it for Leave it To Beaver?

Next week looks interesting. hooray Tony is back!
#147 of 679 Old 03-27-2006, 03:41 PM

last night's episode was one of the sort that remind my why i love the sopranos.

i love silvio. the scene in the bathroom! a classic!!!

i loved christopher having the writer kidnapped. so mob. and the movie meeting. "is he a ghost? i don't get it."

kate
#148 of 679 Old 03-28-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

The movie meeting was so funny. Little Carmine is so ick. I loved the scene w/little Tony (SB)--the lights in the trees, so beautiful. I kept thinking, stay away from the lights, Tone. Oh, and was that a glimpse of Olivia in the doorway? Shudder. Baby calls...g'night!

#149 of 679 Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 PM

For those who are enjoying them, here is the latest review from the Star Ledger:
http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...l=1&thispage=1

I don't have much to say about this episode, although I did love the part with Tony banging on the wall saying "Shut up!" while listening to Paulie complain -- and the long faces in the elevator. That house at the end with the shadowy figures reminded me of the haunted house at Disneyworld!
#150 of 679 Old 03-28-2006, 11:11 PM
lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65
For those who are enjoying them, here is the latest review from the Star Ledger:
http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...l=1&thispage=1

I don't have much to say about this episode, although I did love the part with Tony banging on the wall saying "Shut up!" while listening to Paulie complain -- and the long faces in the elevator. That house at the end with the shadowy figures reminded me of the haunted house at Disneyworld!
Hey! Thanks for the link!

I think this guy likes The Sopranos as much as me!

ds20, dd18, ds17

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page