ANTM anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 181 Old 03-09-2006, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok i have to admit guilt here i am a HUGE lover of the show Americas Next Top Model. i am hooked, every season it comes on i HAVE to watch. its like my own personal crack!!!
anyone else watch it? have predictions?
i think Jade is way self absorbed, and think Nnenne should win, but also LOVE Brooke, the "hippie" with disheveled hair and no makeup(girl after my own heart)
so thats my guilty secret, anyone else share the same?

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#2 of 181 Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 PM

: us too- i haven't watched it yet (tivo) i'll post after. dh & i BOTH watch it every week!
#3 of 181 Old 03-10-2006, 12:03 AM

I love Brooke! How cool would it be to have an ANTM winner who says she doesn't wear makeup or brush her hair!

I'm right there with you re Jade, too.

Its so funny how many people have this I-watch-ANTM dirty little secret! I recently found out that my snobby stepmom, punk sister, anti-mainstream best friend, and anti-TV boyfriend all watch secretly, and never miss a show! heehee

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#4 of 181 Old 03-10-2006, 09:39 AM

count me in too
nnenna is gorgeous, and Janice really liked her so that means something!

I like Brooke and Wendy also.

How dumb was it, when we were all supposed to think they were going to get their heads shaved? LOL.

Jade is this season's Camille (remember her!?)
#5 of 181 Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

ugh i HATED camille!!!!
i heard bald and started thinking about them getting waxed. didnt they do that on season one?
and the model that was bald yum yum!!!

#6 of 181 Old 03-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Hey! I was wondering if I was the only one here

My mom actually got me hooked last season, now if I turn the TV on in the evening DD says "America's Next Top Model!!" :
I have watched most of the other seasons when they've been on marathon re-runs too

Ok, Jade: Ugh! Sooo full of herself! What was her comment? Something like " Oh yes I'm definitely humble" *crickets* "I meant humble on the inside, the inside."
ummm, okay.

I really really hope Brooke makes it, I love her!

Nnenna is cool too.

So there are my pick for top 2
#7 of 181 Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

i was so sad last year when my cutie pixie lesbian got voted off. grrrrrr. SHE should have one. the winner last year is too commercial imho.

#8 of 181 Old 03-11-2006, 02:19 AM

I've watched every season!
:
#9 of 181 Old 03-11-2006, 10:07 AM

Ok, we finally watched all 3 hours from this week Jade is gorgeous, but i think Mr. Jay put it very well- she *thinks* she *is* a model already, so she's going to be very difficult to direct. Meanwhile, the girl they found in a mall took a killer photo! :

Nnenna is amazing. Brooke is very cool, i hope she figures out how to take some great photos. I was glad to see the self-described "hillbilly" go. DH & I were both very surprised that they didn't pick the girl from Texas just for the racisim angle. We figured she'd be in to make for "good tv." Go ANTM for taking the high road!

We've watched all but the first season & tivo weekly
#10 of 181 Old 03-12-2006, 01:35 AM

i love this show.. i dont know why but i do.. im not sure who i like or dislike... since its been only one show so far but some of them seem pretty catty for sure.. jade is pretty full of herslef in a sad way.. im looking forward to wed night

but i couldn't BELIEVE that whatsherface won the last season. i almost scremed.. she actually said all birds are blind.. ugh..i donmt even remember her name she was so borning..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#11 of 181 Old 03-12-2006, 10:18 AM

That would be Nicole. I've seen her interviewed a few times since her win and she always seems so like-whatever-...

I liked Kim the pixie-haired lesbian too. she was a riot.

My all time favorite from all the seasons was Mercedes from season 2. My dd and I see her all the time on mags and commercials.
#12 of 181 Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 PM

I love ANTM. The intro show for this season was on last night, so I stayed up until 11. I love Brooke! Jade, not so much, but they need a snob. At least the sent Dani home, the racist girl from Texas. I was afraid they would keep her just for the drama. I also like Nnenna (spelling).
The girls are quite skinny this season. And does it seem like a bunch of them have speech impediments?
#13 of 181 Old 03-14-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
. And does it seem like a bunch of them have speech impediments?
I think those are their "accents." Real or imagined, you be the judge.

Ok, two things that bother me: one, do any of these girls really harbor delusions that they will indeed be America's Top Model? Do they know that their star will shine only in a few Cover Girl ads, and then relegated to the dustbin of history (otherwise known as that bad VH1 show where the ex-stars all live together). Does Miss Jay really think he is a coach to future stars, or do they all drag themselves into work for Tyra's Vanity Project?

And that's the other thing. In the current issue of Brain, Child, a writer posited that ANTM is a living embodiment of the Queen Bee phenomenon. Oh man, that about ruined it for me...now I can't watch it without thinking about how the weekly castout is the crapped-upon girl in High School. The Queen Bee (Tyra) and her Wannabees (Jay, rotating ex-supermodel, big man with tiny dog) say you are finished here, girly. That's right, you have now lost your chance... to be... America's...Next...Top...MODEL!

Yet, I watch it still. I have to hose myself out with drano afterwards.
#14 of 181 Old 03-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
And that's the other thing. In the current issue of Brain, Child, a writer posited that ANTM is a living embodiment of the Queen Bee phenomenon. Oh man, that about ruined it for me...now I can't watch it without thinking about how the weekly castout is the crapped-upon girl in High School. The Queen Bee (Tyra) and her Wannabees (Jay, rotating ex-supermodel, big man with tiny dog) say you are finished here, girly. That's right, you have now lost your chance... to be... America's...Next...Top...MODEL!
Welll....thanks...now that ruined it for me. I dont even let dh know that I watch it. He does know about my obsession with Dr. 90210, and will sit and watch that with me....albeit...with a running commentary on the effects on body image...I can only imagine his commentary during ANTM. Having a girl...has made dh very aware of these things. I guess I can say Im aware...and watching it for research purposes...to...help my dd circumvent all that/
#15 of 181 Old 03-15-2006, 11:03 PM

Did anyone watch it tonight, with the makeovers? Why didn't they give the girl from Korea a better haircut? She is so boring looking to me. I love Molly Sue's hair, poor Sara with that weird cut, and I hope Nnenna wins. They should just stop the competition now and let her win. Her head is the most perfect color and shape.
I'm glad they gave Jade ugly hair, she is so stuck up. I knew they wouldn't send her home, though, they need to keep the drama going.
What did you all think?
#16 of 181 Old 03-15-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana
Welll....thanks...now that ruined it for me. I dont even let dh know that I watch it. He does know about my obsession with Dr. 90210, and will sit and watch that with me....albeit...with a running commentary on the effects on body image...I can only imagine his commentary during ANTM. Having a girl...has made dh very aware of these things. I guess I can say Im aware...and watching it for research purposes...to...help my dd circumvent all that/
My husband watches it with me. Yes, we have running commentary the entire time. The funniest thing is when Tyra's social responsibility side conflicts with her inner beyotch. "Like, everyone here is so beautiful and shines with an inner light, even that girl over there with the really big booty."

We have also noticed that many contestants look oddly like either other models, actresses, or Tyra herself. There's one on their right now who looks sorta like Scarlett Johannsen...in past seasons, we've noticed other odd similarities. I can't remember right now.

I look forward to the hair episode. Everyone knows how I am about hair.
#17 of 181 Old 03-16-2006, 01:43 AM

Where is the ANTM drinking game?

Each time the word "fierce" is used = 1 drink
Each time they say someone "nailed it" = 3 drinks
#18 of 181 Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 PM

OMG.... how beautiful is Nnenna??? Even more so with her head shaved. I'm rooting for her.... how nice of her to take Jade and the Korean girl (I can't remember her name) on her shopping spree in hopes they'ld get along. I also like Brooke and Sara does look like Scarlett Johansen. I don't really like Furonda... she looks like Flava-Flav to me :

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#19 of 181 Old 03-16-2006, 01:55 PM

I'm straight as an arrow, but love beautiful women!!!!

I just wish the insides matched the outsides IYKWIM!................scratch that, I'm a sucker for a good cat fight LMAO!
#20 of 181 Old 03-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Was it on last night? I missed it. Darn it. I really don't like Jade, but I got major hotties for Nigel Barker...Ahhh..Yum, especially last season when his mom made an appearance. He is just so articulate and has a nice face, another reason I watch the show. Nnenna is great, just hoping she doesn't overuse her story of coming to America over and over. She seems real genuine. No favorites here yet. I really thought Gina, the Korean girl, would have been gone by now. She lacks a lot of confidence and doesn't seem to have "it".
#21 of 181 Old 03-16-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

LOVE Nnennas makeover, and MollySues too. the rest look so boring imho. i think they could have done something feirce(someone drink) to her hair, but no, its boring. :P
as for the drinking game, if i drank this would be perfect.

#22 of 181 Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM

What WAS up with the hair. I was disappointed - 3/4 of the girls get a fairly mainstream, conventionally "pretty" cut/extensions, and the other 1/4 get crazy hair. And I'm pretty sure the crazy hair has been seen on other models previously - the cut that Sara got I think is the same one that the other winner got in her season (the one who was on last night helping them apply their Covergirl product placement queen makeup).
#23 of 181 Old 03-17-2006, 12:46 PM

I love this show : I swore I would give it up this year, but I am hooked once again. I cannot stand Jade, and I don't think she is pretty at all except for her eyes, and I know they will keep her just for the drama. I think that nnenna is TOTALLY gorgeous and even if she does not win this, which btw I cannot fathom, she will definetly get a deal somewhere! I mean the girl even looks good bald!!!!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#24 of 181 Old 03-17-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

no she doesnt look good bald she looks amazing bald.
i never looked that good bald!!!!

and the girl who helped them with the new queen line was Naima, i am SO in lust with her. delish!!!

#25 of 181 Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 PM

Subbing
#26 of 181 Old 03-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Fessing up....I love this show and I even watch the reruns on VH1 ok...

I really dislike Jade..she needs to go just for her utter arrogance...

I dont wanna sound mean .....but I look at some of the girls they have on this show and past shows...and they are not so pretty until they get all that makeup on then they are glamazons ....
#27 of 181 Old 03-20-2006, 07:35 PM

But if Jade goes, where will the drama be? They must be keeping her there for that reason alone. The girl is waaaaay too old to be ANTM!
#28 of 181 Old 03-20-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningfrog
Fessing up....I love this show and I even watch the reruns on VH1 ok...

I really dislike Jade..she needs to go just for her utter arrogance...

I dont wanna sound mean .....but I look at some of the girls they have on this show and past shows...and they are not so pretty until they get all that makeup on then they are glamazons ....
That is pretty true of most models. My sister and her best friend have been involved in the fashion industry for years...my sister working for a major high end makeup company, and her friend working as a makeup artist for a modeling agency. She told me that it is all makeup for the most part. Some girls come in with weird eyebrows that are at different heights...or something else odd...and she fixes it. Fashion industry is basically smoke and mirrors, and what someone decides is fashionable. I nearly went into fashion photography...but couldnt deal with the attitude.
#29 of 181 Old 03-23-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

is it just me or should Gina go? she has NO confidence. and imho doesnt take a good photo.
Nnenna's photo and runway was dissapointing. i hope she shapes up.
on another note i think Mollysue looks great, and same with Sara.

#30 of 181 Old 03-23-2006, 05:07 PM

I thought that Gina should go simply for having to be PUSHED onto the runway, wtf??? However she will go eventually. I bet they knew that Kari was going to go home eventually too and since she was missing her family so much they sent her now and put her out of her misery. You KNOW that Tyra knows everything that is going on.

I too was disappointed that Nnenna wasn't better, but her pictures are still gorgeous. I still think she is the one to beat. I also think that Jade will be on for a while just for her attitude, she makes good TV

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page