16 children - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by numom499
A great book to read that discusses this misconception is "The Teenage Liberation Handbook".
This book has a lengthy section which discusses how to get into college after not having attended elementary or secondary schools.

Institutional learning is not right for everyone, but it is right for some people. It's how I learn best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
I know construction workers that are making 30-40 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgirl
And the possibility of being laid off if they are union or out of work between jobs.
The possibliity of losing one's job exists in any profession.
#483 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:19 PM

My flyingspaghettimonster, people...it is a TEEVEE SHOW. About a man with some problems holding down a job, an incredibly fecund wife, and their odd little children who all look the same and are "so well-mannered and good" due to plenty of blanket time and spankings. They were chosen to be on this show BECAUSE they are so weird, on so many levels.

I think I have something better to do than debate the questionable virtues of this particular family. If someone is soooo inspired by incredibly odd people on the teevee, crushing the individuality and spirit out of their children, then good for them. Seeing as they won't be putting away money for a college fund, there will be plenty left over for therapy. I don't generally find my heroes on television. "Nelson Mandela hosts ...Truth Squad!" Nope, not gonna find that on there.

I think I need to go do my laundry now. Maybe scrub a toilet or two...or twelve...
#484 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Every mama here makes choices for their children every day...
I guide my child to make her own choices. I may make choices on her clothing because she doesn't care at this point, but as soon as she does, it's her choice. Making a few choices is not ruling her life and that's what I'm against.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#485 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by AngelBee
Between jobs my dh does side jobs

(Dh is trained in plumbing and all aspects of construction (can build a house from the ground up by himself except is not confident in his electric skills)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgirl
What if there are no side jobs available? Not everyone lives in a metro area.
So what? People in "professional, college degree required jobs might be laid off in a non-metro area as well. I find that people who are not institutional-think inside the box educated, are more likely to figure out another way to make a living thatn what they had previously been doing.
#486 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom
As far as the clothes go, I can see the younger ones not minding dressing alike, but the older ones are a different story. I remember my mom dressing my sister and I alike and we are only a year apart. I really didn't like it (although my sister didn't mind), and was so glad when she finally stopped. Sometimes my dd (6 yrs old), wants me wear the same color as her, and sometimes I do. I know that soon enough she'll want to be her own person. I just hope these children are eventually able to have their own identity one day.
Liek they would at a job? As a nurse, or a business person? All these type of college degree required jobs have dress codes and or uniforms as well.
#487 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I am a Bible reading Catholic
Okay, well, "fundie" is not a denomination. It is a group of people that identify with certain beliefs/values. And seeing as how you're so outspoken on here with your beliefs/values, it is easy for most of us to see that your values/beliefs are VERY "fundie" in nature. Therefore, I just do not get that you think you are not a fundie.
#488 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I am not going to into a mommy wars debate, but I believe women should be empowered to be able to support themselves even if they end up staying at home with their children. If they do, most women only have a few children, and we're talking about a few years in her life between the birth of the first child and the last child going into Kindergarten.

I just don't understand the lack of regard for education. I have seen this in a homeschooling BIL, it just boggles my mind, but, as noted earlier, this may well be cultural.

DB
Debra, I don't think anyone here lacks regard for education. I think we disagree on the best way to get one Institutional school is a fairly new idea. Kind of like formula feeding

And the whole "only a few years between brith and kindergarten is silly". There are lots of homeschooling mamas and even mamas who send there children to tradtiontanl school who choose not to work and instead are involved in their childs calssroom, etc...
#489 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
AngelBee..He is everyone's God, whether they choose to respect and love him or not.
No, he is not. That is a very rude and arrogant thing to say. You just disvalued everyone's religion on here that is not Christian.

#490 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM

AngelBee, I understand you ID as a certain sort of Catholic, so why are you so invested in this thread about a strict fundie family?

And why do you describe yourself as a modest dresser when you define that as a "state of mind" and not a state of dress?

Just something to think about...
#491 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
but will they be able to pass the SAT with a decent score?
Something tells me these kids don't get to read a lot of science fiction.
WHO CARES??????????

I don't ever want my child to feel like they are their test scores.

And some people don't like science fiction. So what???????

There are lots of homes where children are never exposed to a bible. That makes some people concerned as well....
#492 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
But this is making one route in life more valuable than another, it is elitist….....That is not right or fair. A scientist or doctor is not very good unless they have people to back them up, construction workers to make the roads and building, the factory workers that make the tools and drugs, the janitors/house keepers to keep things clean and sanitary, the mechanic that fix their because they don’t have the time or skill. et.

As good a chef my dh is, I value the dish washer and the waitress because with out them he would be nothing.
#493 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
And why do you describe yourself as a modest dresser when you define that as a "state of mind" and not a state of dress?

Kinda what I was thinking. If it's just a state of mind, why do so many people get in a tizzy about those boy shorts you were speaking of?

#494 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Well, my children are going to be the doctors and scientists who appriciate the laundresses and dishwashers.

db

REally Debra? You're not going to let them choose for themselves?
#495 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

The point is, Jinger isn't going to get to think these issues through and *choose* to stay home or work, she will be *expected* to stay home and bear children. Not allowing choice disrespects that which you (those of you who don't seem to value college education and women empowered to work outside the home) do as stay home mothers. If *everyone* *must* be a SAHM breeder to be a g-dly woman how valuable is what you do?

Angelbee, Jinger couldn't have had your childhood of 30 hour/week dance lessons because 1) She doesn't have *time* after washing Jimbob's and his offspring's socks, 2) She must wear frumpy skirts and you can't dance in a frumpy skirt. The thing *you* value and have *chosen* for *yourself* is a door closed to Jinger.

I don't know if Jinger would be able to follow the ebbs and flows of this thread because she is limited to her parent's opinions.

Debra Baker
#496 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother culture
eVEN NURSING FOR 5 MO IS AROUND 75 MONTHS TOTAL AND THAT ALONE IS CRAZY!
I've nursed 84 months with only 2 kids....
#497 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 PM

Now for something totally different........

Did it crack ANYONE else up when the big bearded helper man, upon meeting the designer from New York said "I firmly believe that all men are afraid of women....and this one really scares me!" And then for the rest of the show you saw her telling him 5 million things he needed to do.
#498 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nntalamu
Okay, well, "fundie" is not a denomination. It is a group of people that identify with certain beliefs/values. And seeing as how you're so outspoken on here with your beliefs/values, it is easy for most of us to see that your values/beliefs are VERY "fundie" in nature. Therefore, I just do not get that you think you are not a fundie.
All Christians are called to be outspoken about there faith.

That does not make me a fundie.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#499 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

"REally Debra? You're not going to let them choose for themselves?"

YES, they choose for themselves.

Before you become so arrogant and self-righteous, I have several *grown* children who are presently in school. I have a daughter who is getting ready to take her boards, another who is a Secondary Ed. major, another who wants to go into Biomedical research (in the fall,) a son who is considering some form of Engineering but is applying to West Point and Annapolis. I have a daughter who may well be Valedictorian who is interested in Physics.

Their fields are considerably varied and the choice has been theirs.

In fact, my one daughter joined the Marines right after 9/11, and her education has been delayed and another didn't go to school right after high school. She chose to work for awhile and started school part time a couple of years out of high school and eventually started going to school full time opting to work part time.

Debra Baker
#500 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
AngelBee, I understand you ID as a certain sort of Catholic, so why are you so invested in this thread about a strict fundie family?

It is both a state of mind and a state of dress.

I am not extreme. I do not believe wearing a swimsuit at the beach is immodest.

However, at a grocery store it would be immodest. (for me)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#501 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

I nursed for about 12 years alltogether.

db
#502 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Kinda what I was thinking. If it's just a state of mind, why do so many people get in a tizzy about those boy shorts you were speaking of?
It is both.

#503 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
All Christians are called to be outspoken about there faith.

That does not make me a fundie.
You are correct that being outspoken does not make you a fundie. I am very outspoken about many things, including my faith, and I am definitely NOT a fundie. It is the things that one is outspoken about that defines who they are. The things that you are outspoken about are very fundie in nature.
#504 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
REally Debra? You're not going to let them choose for themselves?

#505 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=DebraBakerBefore you become so arrogant and self-righteous,
Debra Baker[/QUOTE]\

Debra m, this whole thread stinks of arragoance and self-righteousness about how the Duggars are raising their children "wrong"

pretty ironic...
#506 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

What are they doing wrong?

First, they hit their children.

Second, they are Patriarchal, they are forcing their daughters to be servile to their sons.

Third, they push the day-to-day parenting of their children onto the older children. This is harmful to the little ones who are not getting their parent's attention and harmful to the older children who are enduring the burdeon of parenting someone else's children.

Fourth, they are Gothardites, they are under a lot of legalistic teachings. This emcompases an entire thread of its own.

Debra Baker
#507 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 PM

Just out of curiosity...all of you who think that raising kids in a patriarchal oppressive household and teaching girls nothing but the skills that will help them succeed as mothers is a normal and acceptable lifestyle...are you the same people who think that military invasions in Iraq and Afghanistan are to help free the women????
#508 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
you are kidding right? Christian means (aside from believing and accepting Christ as one's personal saviour) to love thy neighbor, NOT accept all behavior from all people.

I would say that American Christians are some of the most liberal out there (unfortunately), so I'm not sure what the American reference is about. Most Christians in the rest of the world are pretty conservative.

Maybe i just have A chip on my shoulder. I get notes on my car all the time b/c of my political bumper stickers proclaiming I'm a baby killer b/c I'm liberal. Like thats the only issue that exists. (I guess they didn't see the 3 carseats ) I just don't see the christ likeness with war and lying and scandal that surrounds this conservative admin. Is it just b/c he says "GOD BLESS AMERICA" that all the Christians love him. It couldn't be his service to those of smaller means and those Christ would surround himself with. Or the protection of God's creations.
#509 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

Numomof99, (sorry, editing)

I think you have made your personal opinion of me quite clear.

Perhaps, you should stop the redundancy now and get back to the subject of the thread.

db
#510 of 1903 Old 03-14-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Numomof99, (sorry, editing)

I think you have made your personal opinion of me quite clear.

Perhaps, you should stop the redundancy now and get back to the subject of the thread.

db

OH, you edited!!! I was totally confused for a minute there!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page