16 children - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
Well, if she can back up her assertion that quiverfull families are damaging with environmental, health, psychological, and other sorts of data, I'd say she's got an informed opinion-- not one borne out of idle ignorance.
Good point.

That I can debate.

But most people who make such judgements against my family do not have an educated reason to do so.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Next showing of this program on Disc Health: Mar 16 2006, 5 AM. Set your tivos. Oddly they call it 14 Children and Pregnant Again! when we know they have 16 and are moving in! Huh?

http://health.discovery.com/tvlistin...=0&channel=DHC
#123 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I know this is naughty, but does anyone else see the name, Jinger, and cannot help but to have the children's song play in their heads....

John, Jacob, Jingerheimer Schmidt.

That's my name, too.

Whenever I go out...

The people always shout...

There goes John-Jacob-Jingerheimer-Schmidt, LaLaLaLaLaLaLa....
Thanks DB....now I can't get that song OUT of my head!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#124 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM

DaryLLL...

I absolutely love your sig. HEHE
#125 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:00 PM

Thanks, wolf.

Another psa. Had to check TVwoPity.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....wtopic=3136377

Of course they already have a 16 pg thread on the updated Duggar show.

TLC times! There is one tonight and I am so there>

http://tlc.discovery.com/tvlistings/...=0&channel=TLC
#126 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:05 PM

I, like some others, am on the fence. IN some ways, I am facinated by this family.

It would appear that this family is very happy and works well together. The children seem well adjusted (much more than myself at 17, and my dads a pastor, but not as strict as this family seems to be). I was surprised to hear one of the daughter comment that ..."if mom gets pregnant, hopefully (big smile), she'll have twin girls". It obviously works for them.

IN the first special (14 and one more or what ever it was called) Jim Bob explained how before the children were born, they made the commitment to go cash only. This is something almost every american (and certainly my family) could stand to learn a LOT about!! It seems like they are getting a lot of hand outs, but i'm wondering if this isnt a result of the previous air time. In the first special, they lived in a modest house and it appeared they had lived there for quite some time. The home they were living in in the second special was a rental they had to move into b/c they hadnt completed their home.

I do really admire the way they built their own house, it seems like they did almost all the work themselves which is amazing. I agree with other pp that some kids in America could surely benefit from a little responsibility, not to mention, they are learning a LOT of things that will come up in real life.

My husband thinks they are CRAZY and had to leave the room after about 15 minutes, but he's very 'in the box', much more mainstream/normal than me. The idea of so many kids to him was just plain nuts!! It was kind of funny to watch him watch the show!!!

Anyways, this is an interesting thread!
#127 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 PM

They seem like a lovely family from the outside .....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#128 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info for when it is on again. I watched the first half, but missed the end the other night.

Interesting thoughts on this family by everyone. I for one don't understand their need to be on tv. They don't watch tv themselves and seem to be clueless about popculture, but they parade the family around to tv cameras? I just don't get it.
#129 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karry
Interesting thoughts on this family by everyone. I for one don't understand their need to be on tv. They don't watch tv themselves and seem to be clueless about popculture, but they parade the family around to tv cameras? I just don't get it.
People are willing to watch.

I suppose they feel in a way that they are evangilizing as well.

Plus.....can't hurt to be paid and have sponsors supply you with things for your home.

I think it was a smart move on Mr Duggars part.

#130 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee

I think it was a smart move on Mr Duggars part.
"Smart" might be one adjective to use for the idea of parading your trained children before national news cameras.

Quote:
A TLC special "16 Children and Moving In" and Discovery Health Channels' "Raising your 16 Children" both air in March. The family is also working on another cable special. They're going on a month-long vacation to the Grand Canyon and California, with plenty of cameras to capture the fun.[sic]
#131 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
"Smart" might be one adjective to use for the idea of parading your trained children before national news cameras.
I am sure it was discussed as a family.

#132 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Good point.

That I can debate.

But most people who make such judgements against my family do not have an educated reason to do so.
It's not personal. It's a topic on a message board. I don't know you.

If I wanted to spend time doing the searches for links to prove those things, I could but knowing how many quiverful people think and I might as well skip the crap and start looking for a brick wall to beat my face against.
#133 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM

Oh ya. I bet.
#134 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I am sure it was discussed as a family.
LOL

they are patriarchal Godardites.
#135 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my~hearts~light
It's not personal. It's a topic on a message board. I don't know you.

If I wanted to spend time doing the searches for links to prove those things, I could but knowing how many quiverful people think and I might as well skip the crap and start looking for a brick wall to beat my face against.
Ok

You sound so pessimistic. Sorry if you have had bad experienced in the past with quiverful families.

#136 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
LOL

My husband is the head of our household.

I am a submissive wife.

Our entire family (dh, myself, children) discuss EVERY decision that effects our family together.

DH makes the final decision, but not until he has gotten feedback from us and prayerfully considered the situation.

#137 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Oh I know AB, I know~~
#138 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL

Heehee:

"Votes against being put on TV: 15."
"Votes for: Daddy."

Bring on the TV cameras! Debate settled.

And seriously, the blanket thing is messed up. Even if you're not hitting the baby for having the temerity to leave the blanket, how does forcing a baby to remain on two square feet of blanket do anything beneficial for its development?

I'm listening to The Wall right now. How apropos.
#139 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Oh I know AB, I know~~

#140 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Heehee:

"Votes against being put on TV: 15."
"Votes for: Daddy."

Bring on the TV cameras! Debate settled.

#141 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:32 PM

You roll your eyes when anyone has something besides sugar coated BS to say about a weird family none of us even know and you're calling me pessimistic?
#142 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I think it would be worthwhile for you to elaborate.
I worked for Mr. Gothard at the IBLP headquarters in Hinsdale, IL. I worked on the BASIC CARE bulletins, which contain "biblically based" medical advice written by none other than 16 year old kids (like myself at the time.) My personal experiences with Mr. Gothard (an apparantly innocuous old man, but in reality a tyrant), including his preoccupation with soft makeup, long gently curled hair, and the clothing choices of young women aside, the group is widely considered by apolgetics experts to be a "borderline cult." The personal will (including clothing choices, music, dating, associations, etc) is to be completely subjected to "the will of God" interpreted by Mr. Gothard. There are countless horror stories regarding the rights of women (women stripped of their responsibilites within the organization for divorcing pedophiles who molested their children.) I can hardly paint the whole picture of how women are treated and portrayed. There is a survivors group if anyone would like to read further.
#143 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Hey, you try growing up in a family like that, and you wouldn't be rollin' yer eyeballs at it.

#144 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my~hearts~light
You roll your eyes when anyone has something besides sugar coated BS to say about a weird family none of us even know and you're calling me pessimistic?
And judgemental.

I roll my eyes at people who are opinionated to see past their own judgemental views.

None of you even know this family.

You base your entire point of view on an hour of highly editted TV show.

Why not email them or call them with questions instead of assuming.

I pray that you will be able to see both sides of the coin.

#145 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Hey, you try growing up in a family like that, and you wouldn't be rollin' yer eyeballs at it.

Did you?

#146 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesue2
I worked for Mr. Gothard at the IBLP headquarters in Hinsdale, IL. I worked on the BASIC CARE bulletins, which contain "biblically based" medical advice written by none other than 16 year old kids (like myself at the time.) My personal experiences with Mr. Gothard (an apparantly innocuous old man, but in reality a tyrant), including his preoccupation with soft makeup, long gently curled hair, and the clothing choices of young women aside, the group is widely considered by apolgetics experts to be a "borderline cult." The personal will (including clothing choices, music, dating, associations, etc) is to be completely subjected to "the will of God" interpreted by Mr. Gothard. There are countless horror stories regarding the rights of women (women stripped of their responsibilites within the organization for divorcing pedophiles who molested their children.) I can hardly paint the whole picture of how women are treated and portrayed. There is a survivors group if anyone would like to read further.
Very sad

This DOES NOT describe all quiverful or extremely conservative families.

#147 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Did you?
Haven't we had this discussion before? My family wasn't QF (though goddess knows we traveled in a lot of the same conservative circles as the local QF families-- back before QF was a fashionable thing in Protestant groups) but my parents DID practice a very hierarchical, patriarchal "Biblically based" version of marriage and family life.

Then he divorced her.... apparently he consulted God and the family's needs before he did that, too. Them's the breaks, I suppose. All I'm saying is that when Daddy's vote overrides everyone else's, it ain't pretty.
#148 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
And judgemental.

I roll my eyes at people who are opinionated to see past their own judgemental views.

AB, this is their 4th show, dear. Plus we've read their websites, seen interviews on Anderson Cooper, the View etc, and read multiple articles that came out when the last 2 shows were on TV, when ofJomBob Excuse me, gave birth to Johannah

#149 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Haven't we had this discussion before? My family wasn't QF (though goddess knows we traveled in a lot of the same conservative circles as the local QF families-- back before QF was a fashionable thing in Protestant groups) but my parents DID practice a very hierarchical, patriarchal "Biblically based" version of marriage and family life.

Then he divorced her.... apparently he consulted God and the family's needs before he did that, too. Them's the breaks, I suppose. All I'm saying is that when Daddy's vote overrides everyone else's, it ain't pretty.

That does not demonstrate how headship it to be. I am sorry that you father make wrong choices.

#150 of 1903 Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
And judgemental.

Why not email them or call them with questions instead of assuming.

I pray that you will be able to see both sides of the coin.

And their own words on their own website.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page