16 children - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speak of the devil, the Duggar's are on TLC right now.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 11:12 PM

Threads like this almost make me wish I had cable.

Almost.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle
I will say that at least they are not on welfare and expecting other people to foot their bills. They are self-sufficient.

Even though I do not agree with all they do and I would never have that many kids, I can give them that much credit.
Wow TinkerBelle, you have a real chip on your shoulder about welfare.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana
Because when they were shown their new room Mr. Duggar joked around about making #17.
Oh, now that's just tacky. I'm trying to imagine being on national TV and having my husband say, "that's where we're gonna make #3, darlin!"

My threshold for tackiness is high, but even I have some standards. sheesh.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
now why would you attack someone based on their hairstyle or clothes or religion? Isnt part of being an mdc'er is being accepting of other people's beliefs or choices? (putting the discipline issues aside).

That's an attack? A little dramatic aren't we?

And no, it's not. I don't even know where you got that.
Isn't part of being an MDC'er wearing tie dyed socks?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my~hearts~light
That's an attack? A little dramatic aren't we?

And no, it's not. I don't even know where you got that.
Isn't part of being an MDC'er wearing tie dyed socks?
I just dont see the point in making fun of people's religious beliefs or the way they dress. I wasnt trying to be dramatic.

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:02 AM

Its makes me sad to see that the boys have slides that go directly down to the playroom while the girls have...I have no idea. Slides down to the laundry room and kitchen. More power to Ma and Pa Dugger if they are able to give each child the love and individual attention that they deserve. I have no idea how they can do it, I have trouble with four kids.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:09 AM

Point or no point, it's a pretty big stretch from attacking. What does her hair have to do with religous beliefs? Holy mullet! Not funny yet?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
It is also no one's business how many kids they have if they are the ones footing the bill.
And it's everyones business if they aren't?

If our country would get it's head out the ground we could use the billions of dollars sent to Iraq (what are we at now? 300 Billion?) to help people HERE get on there own two feet. It's OK nowadays to critisize those on assistance than it is to be anti-war, oh I mean unpatriotic!

Sorry to rant that just bugged me!:
Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote, "Its makes me sad to see that the boys have slides that go directly down to the playroom while the girls have...I have no idea. Slides down to the laundry room and kitchen. More power to Ma and Pa Dugger if they are able to give each child the love and individual attention that they deserve. I have no idea how they can do it, I have trouble with four kids."

Ma and Pa Duggar *don't* give each child individual attention that they deserve. This very issue is my major beef with them (well, that and beating children.) They shove off the individual attention onto other *children*. They aren't "doing it" (the individual attention, the visual image of the other meaning of doing it is just too much for my feeble mind.)

Also, the patriarchy is stifling. Everything is JOY Jimbob, first, Others second and Y'all leftover third.

And, yes, the stench of the patriarchy is around Quiverfull circles.

Debra Baker
Old 03-14-2006, 12:43 AM

Wow, I just watched the show. Scary. I feel really sorry for the children, especially the girls.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
Wow, I just watched the show. Scary. I feel really sorry for the children, especially the girls.
Yup. I felt sorry for the baby being spoonfed peas directly from a can by the six-year-old.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-14-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Wow TinkerBelle, you have a real chip on your shoulder about welfare.
Because I think people should pay their own way in life instead of having other people pay for their existence as a way of life?

I never said NO ONE should ever get any help, ever.

As I stated before, I have had to ask for help in the past and would again, if needed.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting help in a situation you cannot help, like when my husband got seriously injured on the job and could not work for a couple of months, or when he lost his job. I could even see the US implementing a program like in other countries where they help mamas be able to stay home with their kids, at least for the first few years. However, there are some people who feel that they should not have to work and feel entitled to take and take from the rest who do. Who feel "entitled" and who are not trying to help themselves.

You do not have to agree with me, but before you accuse me of having a chip on my shoulder, at least consider my position.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf2
And it's everyones business if they aren't?

If our country would get it's head out the ground we could use the billions of dollars sent to Iraq (what are we at now? 300 Billion?) to help people HERE get on there own two feet. It's OK nowadays to critisize those on assistance than it is to be anti-war, oh I mean unpatriotic!

Sorry to rant that just bugged me!:

I do not mind rants.

I am NOT referring to those who are TRYING to get on their feet or who have had a situation that they cannot help. I am referring to those who have no intention of helping themselves. Those who feel they are somehow "owed" while the rest of the people have to work to support them.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
Threads like this almost make me wish I had cable.

Almost.

me too. I'd watch it just for morbid fascination.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Because I think people should pay their own way in life instead of having other people pay for their existence as a way of life? It is called being an adult and being responsible.
Do you "pay for your existence" TinkerBelle, or does your husband work while you take care of your kids? What does he do for a job? What do you do?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Yup. I felt sorry for the baby being spoonfed peas directly from a can by the six-year-old.

I noticed the same thing,..ewww.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsMom
I noticed the same thing,..ewww.
And the baby was batting them away, like he was saying, "What's wrong with you? Get that crap out of my face!"

Old 03-14-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Do you "pay for your existence" TinkerBelle, or does your husband work while you take care of your kids? What does he do for a job? What do you do?

I work a few hours a week coding legal documents from home. My husband works fulltime as a door and window installer. He has a good job, thankfully.

I have worked all of my married life (almost 15 years, I am 38) in some kind of part time and sometimes fulltime job. (when DH was laid off)

I mainly take care of my kids and I homeschool my 8 yr old. I have one son who has high functioning Autism who goes to school and is in special ed. I also have a 1 year old.

What do you do? Do you work? What kind of work do you do if so? What kind of work does your husband do?

Thismama, I never ever said that no one should ever ask for or get help. But, I do believe people should be as self-sufficient as they can be. I do not believe welfare was designed to be a way of life, for years on end. It was designed to help people out of a bad situation.

I also am for being a SAHM if you can be one. To me, if you have a partner who supports you financially and otherwise, or have family to help you out or even if you use the system to help you SAHM on a temporary basis, there is nothing wrong with that.

You can disagree with me. I am not offended by opposing views. I think it makes life interesting.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:07 AM

I am not going to attack your paid work, but I ask because I hear this so often from SAHM's. You and I do the same job. It is just that our funders are different. And I don't think it is ethically inferior to collect welfare, and ethically superior to have a job putting plastic parts together in a factory, so that they can end up in a landfill for all eternity. Or to have a job selling people things they don't need, or making huge profit while paying people less than a living wage. Really.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I am NOT referring to those who are TRYING to get on their feet or who have had a situation that they cannot help. I am referring to those who have no intention of helping themselves. Those who feel they are somehow "owed" while the rest of the people have to work to support them.
I think everyone deserves a decent quality of life (incuding $ for some fun) regardless of whether or not their lives are "productive" enough for society. I do not see how one could be deemed more worthy simply because they push papers or do labour for someone else. Why is that person more deserving of enjoying life than anyone else? In fact, I think that working in construction or the medical industry, could be seen as more *harmful* to society than someone sitting on the couch making a painting or writing a book. Who's standards are we forced to follow?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama
I think everyone deserves a decent quality of life (incuding $ for some fun) regardless of whether or not their lives are "productive" enough for society. I do not see how one could be deemed more worthy simply because they push papers or do labour for someone else. Why is that person more deserving of enjoying life than anyone else? In fact, I think that working in construction or the medical industry, could be seen as more *harmful* to society than someone sitting on the couch making a painting or writing a book. Who's standards are we forced to follow?
I don't understand your post. It is far from what I said.

I never said anyone had to be in the medical field or construction. I never said that you had to be rich or have a high-paying job.

Being an artist or author IS work. It is being productive. Being a SAHM is work. It is productive. It is not sitting around on your behind, expecting the govt. to support you fully for years on end, never intending to help yourself ever.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I don't understand your post. It is far from what I said.

I never said anyone had to be in the medical field or construction. Being an artist or author IS work. It is being productive. It is not sitting around on your behind, expecting the govt. to support you fully for years on end, never intending to help yourself ever.
They were examples.

I think that people sitting around on their behinds deserve a good quality of life as well. Including money for fun. There. That's a little more clear.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I am not going to attack your paid work, but I ask because I hear this so often from SAHM's. You and I do the same job. It is just that our funders are different. And I don't think it is ethically inferior to collect welfare, and ethically superior to have a job putting plastic parts together in a factory, so that they can end up in a landfill for all eternity. Or to have a job selling people things they don't need, or making huge profit while paying people less than a living wage. Really.
I do not think it is ethically inferior to collect welfare either. I just feel that it should be used as it was designed to be used. As a stepping stone to self-sufficiency.

I do not think anyone is inferior to anyone else. In fact, I have known many people who needed help from time to time. I just know when I had to ask for foodstamps, that it was embarrassing and I was glad when we were back to "normal". (normal for us)
Old 03-14-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama
They were examples.

I think that people sitting around on their behinds deserve a good quality of life as well. Including money for fun. There. That's a little more clear.
Thank you for explaining. I was scratching my head for a moment.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I just know when I had to ask for foodstamps, that it was embarrassing and I was glad when we were back to "normal". (normal for us)
I know this is off topic and I'm SO SORRY. But it's a pet issue for me so I can't help but respond. The only reason it's embarressing to receive aid is because people demonize those who are less rich. It's embarrassing because people make it so. Asking for help is nothing to be embarrassed about but simply because of the "pulled myself up by the bootstraps" types, it can be a completely demoralizing experience.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:33 AM
Banned

We've pulled ourselves by our bootstraps and I was thinking earlier today that it would be cool to be able to send resources back to our poor selves.

No one deserves to go through what we endured.

db
Old 03-14-2006, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, it was all so obviously faked for the cameras!

The one contractor and another guy were there, but I didn't see any other trained construction workers. Who did the electrical? The plumbing? Don't states require that these types of installation be completed by licensed professionals?

Did anyone else notice the lack of basic safety issues for those children as they, supposedly, helped do all the construction?

The girls handling power drills with their long hair hanging down and their skirts bunched on the floor right by where they were drilling? ((It made no sense as to why they were drilling into the floor either.)) Their hair should have been pulled up and out of the way. Same goes with dresses (they needed to be in pants, heaven forbid). A boy using a cutting torch without gloves or apron?

How about that younger boy, in clean chinos, helping to lay gas lines in a ditch? Apparently, they must have really clean dirt there, huh?

Frankly, these people were NOT good parents in that they were NOT providing adequate housing for their children before this McMansion was built. The brood-mare Mom mentions the terrible lines at the bathroom door every morning. Too many PLANNED people and not enough bathrooms OR bedrooms OR laundry facilities?? That's plain idiocy and not fair to the children.

Popping out puppies just because you can is not a good reason to keep doing it. Super, they love to have children, goody for them. If they really want to have a mega-litter AND be god-ly, why not adopt the many children that already exist in the world that truly need families? The children with health problems. The children with abuse issues. The children that really NEED homes. The children already here.

Their website lays out their average day. No mention of anything about playtime. One hour at the end of the study day of free time (if they have completed all their work). No mention of time spent with children/peers outside their family. There is a comment about their living room being big enough for their home church meetings. Anyone know what those are about (do they involve other families, or just these folks)? The children appear too closed off from the outside world. They have no individual privacy.

Also, for homeschoolers, I saw very few books or signs of educational materials. No maps? No globe? They say they have 7 computers (did anyone see them in the children's rooms?), all with filters (not a bad idea, but, again, it is another block to much of the outside world.

It would be interesting to know if they plan on any of the children going to college.

Too wierd.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Raising. If you look at the site and the other sources, the older children are, for all intents and purposes, raising the younger ones.

My children, even at the tender ages of 2, 4, and 7 have chores. Theyr'e expected to help because it's part of being in a family, and they don't get paid for it.

If, however, I asked them to do something that was traditionally my responsibility (I don't know, like put away my clothes or balance my checkbook ) I wouldn't expect them to do it without some sort of compensation.
I don't get paid for cleaning why should my kids? We have a rule you make a mess you clean it. Even at 1 if the kids made a mess they had to help clean it up. These chores shouldn't lay on one family member everyone big and small should pitch in.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:11 AM

I like this family. I say let them be. They seem happy and their new home is beautiful! I admire any woman who can give birth to 16 healthy children, raise them, and keep her sanity.

My great grandmother had 11 live births and many miscarriages in the early 1900s. All of her children turned out to be happy and successful and they did not have many of the advantages that this family has. (like a 7000sf house) My grandmother was the oldest girl, so she helped raise her siblings and she had nothing but happy childhood memories and stories to tell me.

I think that these children will do fine with the love and security that a large family can bring.

I am surprised that so many people are critical of this family. Where is the tolerance for their life choices? They aren't asking anyone to financially support their family so let them be.

User Tag List