Big Love (minus the LDS debate) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1049 Old 03-21-2006, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm not sure it was a mistake - the hbo site said something about the next week's episode being available on On Demand. I only watched the first so far (last night) but I'm hooked already

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 1049 Old 03-21-2006, 11:24 AM

NICE! I can watch Episode 3 on On Demand too! Haha, what a good naptime this will be!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#63 of 1049 Old 03-21-2006, 04:42 PM

Okay, how do I figure out how to get the On Demand thing? I have DirectTV, is that an option for me?

I am IN LOVE with this show!! I can't stop thinking about it, I am obsessed. Last night I even dreamed about it.

In the preview for the next episode, it did look to me like Nicki was on her knees in front of Roman, but I bet it wasn't what it looked like. That doesn't seem like the kind of thing Bill would stand for.

Who wants to bet that Ben is gay? Or maybe his friend Jason is gay and tries to come on to Ben? The daughter's friend said that she volunteers at a place where gay and lesbian teens can come for help, so maybe she'll see Ben or Jason or both of them when she's there and will tell on them.

Also, I was thinking that Margene might have some PPD going on, and I bet she's going to get pregnant soon on top of that.

I can't wait to see the next episode!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#64 of 1049 Old 03-21-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemama
Kinda OT: The daughter's co-worker (whose father is the state trooper) is Tina Majorino. I really like her (she was such a sad little girl on Corrina, Corrina, with Whoopi Goldberg). Both she and the daughter are on Veronica Mars (she plays a computer geek and the daughter is the late Lily Kane). Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was wondering where they may have seen them before.
Tina Majorino is also in Napoleon Dynamite, but for some real trivia she was in Waterworld as Enola (the girl with the map to dryland on her back) and her caretaker was Jeanne Tripplehorn!
#65 of 1049 Old 03-21-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegirl
I thought it was interesting that Bill's dad left him in the city when he was fourteen. It makes sense. A community like that needs a lot more women than men, so you gotta get rid of the boys somehow.
Unfortunately, this bit is very much based in reality. In the FLDS communities upon which BL is based, it is standard operating procedure for the majority of teen boys to be kicked out of their communities at age 14 or 15 lest they provide competition for a limited number of females. Homeless shelters in nearby secular communities are filled with these children.
#66 of 1049 Old 03-21-2006, 11:09 PM

just subbing right now...

i will have thought later.

kate
#67 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 AM

I caught the first episode and I think I am hooked...our free HBO is over with at the end of next month We may have to keep HBO
#68 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLaurel
Unfortunately, this bit is very much based in reality. In the FLDS communities upon which BL is based, it is standard operating procedure for the majority of teen boys to be kicked out of their communities at age 14 or 15 lest they provide competition for a limited number of females. Homeless shelters in nearby secular communities are filled with these children.
Wow, that is horrendously sad. I figured it was probably true.

Quote:
Who wants to bet that Ben is gay? Or maybe his friend Jason is gay and tries to come on to Ben? The daughter's friend said that she volunteers at a place where gay and lesbian teens can come for help, so maybe she'll see Ben or Jason or both of them when she's there and will tell on them.
Oooooo! That's a good one! I hope that happens, it'll really knock their socks off!
Ben: "Dad, I'm gay."
Bill: "What?! You can't be, that's an abomination! I won't stand for this!"
Ben: "You should be thrilled! I won't be hogging any girls for myself. They're all yours Pop!"

It also seems that Ben and Margene are flirty. But it could just be a brother/sister type teasing, it's hard to tell. That would also be a fun storyline though. Margene feels neglected and Ben steps in to help out with the babies etc.

What's the deal with Bill's mom and dad? Are they polygamists but she's the Alpha wife or something? It doesn't seem like he has any other wives, and the only sibling Bill ever talks to/about is the football brother. Also, she's pretty rebellious with the short hair and pants and all.

I watched the third episode tonight on on demand and I'm dying to talk about it! Sigh, I'll wait until Sunday.
#69 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 AM

I thought his parents were polygamists because when they were there Bill's brother mentioned that she wouldnt let any of the sister wives near him... so i figured she was the "head wife"

Oh and my hbo on demand doesnt have any of the episodes... very annoying
#70 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 AM

:::Big cheesy grin::: I got to watch episode 3 tonight. This is becoming my new favorite show.
Anyways, PatchyMama:
According to the HBO website Bill's Mom is 2nd wife to his Dad. And they had 3 children, 2 boys and a girl. (Was her name Margie? I can't remember right now since it's 1am and I am still up...)
The sister died like 20 or so years ago mysteriously. Thats all I know.

Don't be annoyed that you can't see Episode 3 of BL, b/c now this means I have to wait 2 weeks to watch a new episode, instead of 1.
Anywho, I am off to bed. G'Night Momma's!
#71 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Just wanted to add that it was mentioned that Bill's mother never gave the kids their dad's name? Did anyone else catch that? That pointed out that she wasn't the "alpha" wife like I first thought.
#72 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
rn

Quote:
Just wanted to add that it was mentioned that Bill's mother never gave the kids their dad's name? Did anyone else catch that?
I caught that, and didnt really understand why Bill was complaining about it. HIS only kids that have HIS last name are from his first wife also!!

Also, who else thinks Roman is trying to poison Bills father? I dont think its the mother.
#73 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM

I don't think it's Roman, either. Well, who knows, but if it is Roman, why would HBO be so obvious about showing him feeding him drinks? Besides, what does Roman have to gain by killing him off?

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#74 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM

I was so happy, lastnight the epsoid(sp) I missed on sunday was on!!! Now im back up to par with whats going on, can't wait untill sunday!!!
#75 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 01:26 PM

I was thinking it was Roman poisoning him too, but then...that is a little too obvious, right?
#76 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 01:33 PM

If someone starts a thread to discuss Episode 3, pm me and let me know. I am dying to discuss it too, but don't want to spoil it for those who won't see it until Sunday.

Ironically, we don't even get HBO, but we have a free week and we can get the on demand stuff.

My dh says the show totally stresses him out. I think I could handle a polygamist marriage before he could (not that I could).
#77 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 02:12 PM

laralou, I'm starting a separate Episode 3 thread right now...

Come discuss!

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#78 of 1049 Old 03-22-2006, 02:34 PM

Episode 3 is available for me, but I'll be waiting for SO so we can watch together, possibly after Lost tonight
#79 of 1049 Old 03-24-2006, 05:36 AM

I guess this is sort of a spoiler, so I'll put spoiler tags around it... My DH listened to the Podcast from his iPod regarding the show and they explained how the family came to be:

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Apparently, Bill and Barb were married for a while and she found out she had uterine cancer. She can't have anymore kids. They ran out of money and had to go back to his family, where Nicki was. Barbs cancer was supposed to be terminal, and Nicki was helping take care of the kids while Barb was sick. It was decided that Nicki would become Bill's wife when Barb died from cancer, only she didn't die and Bill was still with Nicki, so he married her, too. Margene came into the picture because she was their kid's babysitter (I don't know why Nicki wasn't watching the kids, cause I don't think she works, does she?)
#80 of 1049 Old 03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
rn

Thats not too much of a spoiler purplemama, that is what it pretty much says on the website about them.

I still think its Roman trying to poison bills father (I forgot his name). We dont know enough about any of the characters to be able to know a reason "why" anyone would want to kill anyone off. Even his wife (bills mom).

I even think Bills father has an idea about it, but doesnt want to admit it?
It seemed that shot a close up of that plastic cup w/ the straw in the hospital because he was looking at it after Roman left, not just for us to see.
#81 of 1049 Old 03-24-2006, 04:11 PM

I love the show !!!! But one thing really bothers me, all those small kids around and no fence around the pool, not safe.
#82 of 1049 Old 03-24-2006, 05:45 PM

They do have a fence, but it's one that can be retracted. At one point Bill was sitting out by the pool, head in his hands, but Barb couldn't go talk to him because it was Margene's night. The pool had a fence around it then; I noticed it because I had wondered why there wasn't a fence earlier in the show.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#83 of 1049 Old 03-24-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom
They do have a fence, but it's one that can be retracted. At one point Bill was sitting out by the pool, head in his hands, but Barb couldn't go talk to him because it was Margene's night. The pool had a fence around it then; I noticed it because I had wondered why there wasn't a fence earlier in the show.
Oh thanks, I have only ever seen it with out the fence, I will look for the fence next time.
#84 of 1049 Old 03-24-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn
Thats not too much of a spoiler purplemama, that is what it pretty much says on the website about them.
oops... I've never even been to the website. Sorry!
#85 of 1049 Old 03-27-2006, 10:37 AM

I only saw the second half last night so I will have to watch the whole thing later in the week.

However, the expression that kept coming to my mind after watching is, "Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here!"

Wow.

I keep telling my DH that show stresses me out to watch it.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#86 of 1049 Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 AM
rn

after watching last night...

I think bills mother killed his sister (that mysteriously died 20 yrs prior), and I think it was b/c she did not want her to be married into a poly life at such a young age like ronda.... she was so mad that margene was so young!

.... do you think ronda stole the ipod or that the daughter (forgot her name) gave it to her out of pity?

funny when bills bro gave benny the superbowl ring he said "its still got a few diamonds left in it"

Roman is a sneeky creepy dude.
#87 of 1049 Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM

I think Rhonda stole the ipod from Sarah. There is something about that girl that I don't like. Creepy. She looks sickly, too, imo. It seems that she longs to know what it is like outside of the Compound.

I don't understand why Bill has to tithe to Roman, if he does not live in the Compound. Is it cause he is married to Nicki? I don't get it. Roman just a greedy guy, wonder why he is called the Prophet?

I like that we are starting to see more of where Nicki is coming from.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#88 of 1049 Old 03-27-2006, 01:01 PM
rn

I think.... that Roman (and the compound) helped them when Barb was sick w/ more than just Nikki. They probably gave Bill the money he needed to open the first store... hence they own 15% of it. Or even paid for Barbs medical bills, chemo or whatever else.

Its obvious that Barb cant stand him-I am sure even to him(roman)... creepy how he asked her how her health was and then he told her he was glad that they could help, or something to that affect. Like he is the reason she is healed.

For some reason I remember hearing that they were flat out broke after she got sick.
#89 of 1049 Old 03-27-2006, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Roman gave him the open to open the first store. That is why he is paying him. Although they said in last weeks episode that he has paid him off 3x over at least. So now it's extortion.
#90 of 1049 Old 03-27-2006, 01:25 PM

I think she gave her the iPod, sgh remembered playing with her, did they used to all live at the compound?

Funny when Barb went to the neighbor trying to explain the living situation, "our tenant, etc"

I could live like that, dh said it freaks him out....unless there was three-way Saturdays.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page