Big Love (minus the LDS debate) - Page 35 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1021 of 1049 Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No Margie was already married to them at the start of the first season and she had already had the 2 kids. It seemed to me that they implied that she was kinda washing her past off with the baptism, but that was just the vibe I got with the very last minute way she said I want to be baptised, right now and was so excited and gitty about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1022 of 1049 Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Polygamy is important to them because they believe in the principal, no?

Just as those who belief in their faith but do not attend a place of worship because they do not believe in what man had made of religion. I'm only guessing here.
Isn't the Principle, the practice of polygamy? Or is there more to it? I *think* its about eternal families. Is that why they practice it. Or is it cos it just happened that way. (Well it is a TV show)
#1023 of 1049 Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 AM

I should have said, it's important because they believe polygamy is based in the bible and teachings and doctrines of the church.

They also believe that plural marriage is essential to reaching the highest level of heaven, or exaltation.

But I think I am traveling to far off the topic of the show, sorry.
#1024 of 1049 Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama naturale View Post
Isn't the Principle, the practice of polygamy? Or is there more to it? I *think* its about eternal families. Is that why they practice it. Or is it cos it just happened that way. (Well it is a TV show)

The Principle is the practice of polygamy as laid out byJoseph Smith, Brigham Young, et al. It does have to do with eternal families to an extent, but mainstream LDS believe in Eternal Families as well. That's why it was significant that Barb's mother was sealed in the Temple to her second husband - she is essentially practicing spiritual polygamy.
#1025 of 1049 Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think so, they had to unseal Barbs mom from Barbs dad first. They talked about it in the episode. So no Barbs mom is not in a spiritual polygamous relationship.
#1026 of 1049 Old 08-30-2007, 06:25 AM

Alright! Hi! I'm a newbie (to Big Love), here... so I had to click "last page" on this thread and cover my eyes so I wouldn't ruin anything for myself. I had seen most of a random episode in season 1 over a year ago... and now finally started watching from the beginning. The general topic interests me, so i wanted to be sure to watch it. However...

So far, I'm annoyed. I've only watched the first two episodes, plus whatever episode it was that I saw most of before. Really, they're all annoying me to death. They all seem completely selfish and immature and SO not capable of being in one stable relationship, let alone sharing in three relationships. Please tell me this gets better? It seems to me that the writer's intent is just to play up their immaturity like they're completely incapable people, or something... I mean, I don't know. They're just SO annoying! I was sort of starting to take a liking to Margie until they showed her throwing little whiney fits and leaving her two kids in the playpen to cry. wtf? Are they capable of anything at all? And Nicki... there are just no words for her. I have zero compassion for her whatsoever.

Judging from the sheer amount of replies in this thread, it HAS to get better, right? Or is this all it's gonna be? I'm still going to give it a chance, because I felt similar about the beginning of Six Feet Under, and then it ended up being one of my favourite shows EVER... but, my goodness, right now I just want to slap them all... (ahem)

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#1027 of 1049 Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I don't think so, they had to unseal Barbs mom from Barbs dad first. They talked about it in the episode. So no Barbs mom is not in a spiritual polygamous relationship.
I thought that situation with Barb's mom was quite sad. I don't fully understand it, but it sounded really serious - to unseal from your first spouse, who you were married to for most of your life. I'm not Catholic either, but it sounded like the equivalent of asking for an annulment. Just serious business, any way you look at it. But what made me sad was it appeared that the new spouse probably could have really cared less- he was the one talking to Bill about Weber gaming, right? There was a discussion about that earlier. He said having the church against their business worked in their favor because things that are illegal are hot, or something like that. And I remembered the sister saying his KIDS were conservative and they did it for his children... that really stuck out at me. He could have really cared less, it was obviously this HUGE big sacrifice of Barb's moms beliefs, and it was all for HIS children, to impress them or something.... yet, she didn't even want Barb there. It's like, wow, if you are a member in good standing of the official church, you can do no wrong, but if you an apostate like BARB and her family.... yikes. Did ya'll notice how Barb's mom said "what is the matter with him that that wasn't enough for him" when she was looking at him sitting there with his and Barb's kids.... That was sad. I wonder if Barb wondered the same thing. But then later, that neighbor lady asking Barb if she ever thought about expanding her family so it was normal-sized. Is there a huge pressure IRL LDS families to have a lot of children? Or is that more just that particular character speaking with her foot in her mouth basically?

Anyway, yes, the situation with Margene is a little confusing to me as well. Barb grew up in the LDS church, judging from the wedding episode, it looks like she gave up a LOT to become a polygamist, had to change her entire world view, right? Nikki and Bill were born into it; it wasn't a big stretch for them. And then Margene... How did they get Barb on board with Margene in the first place? Why did they think that her lack of religious conviction on the matter was okay? NOT having the calling was Bill's reason for breaking it off with Ana. But then he was okay with groping her in the closet because he "wanted" her. I think it was about lust with Margene... and Ana too. Not a calling. Even if Bill wants to believe that isn't the case.

What was Barb expecting to get out of her speech to Bill that she has to come first or whatever? Was that because of Nikki saying "it's not the Bill and Barb show anymore. You only get 1/4 of the information, if that." Was that speech Barb's way of saying, "you had at least better do me the courtesy of telling me all this business stuff FIRST from now on, or I walk" ??? Why did she agree to be on the board for Weber gaming? What does that mean exactly?
#1028 of 1049 Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah wouldn't think so but I have *heard* that women have been sealed to more than one man. Though maybe they changed it so its now not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4it2snow View Post

Anyway, yes, the situation with Margene is a little confusing to me as well. Barb grew up in the LDS church, judging from the wedding episode, it looks like she gave up a LOT to become a polygamist, had to change her entire world view, right? Nikki and Bill were born into it; it wasn't a big stretch for them. And then Margene... How did they get Barb on board with Margene in the first place? Why did they think that her lack of religious conviction on the matter was okay? NOT having the calling was Bill's reason for breaking it off with Ana. But then he was okay with groping her in the closet because he "wanted" her. I think it was about lust with Margene... and Ana too. Not a calling. Even if Bill wants to believe that isn't the case.

?
I *think* that Margene just wanted to be a part of a family and was stoked to hear Bill was a polygamous. She was the babysitter and jumped at the chance of joining them.
#1029 of 1049 Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama naturale View Post
I *think* that Margene just wanted to be a part of a family and was stoked to hear Bill was a polygamous. She was the babysitter and jumped at the chance of joining them.
Well, I get all that. I get Margene wanting to be in the family; I think they've shown those layers pretty well...

I just don't get what was in it for the rest. I think Bill fell in lust with her... and later love. But what did Nikki and Barb get out of the deal? Just curious. I do think Margene is charming, I can see her charming them both, but ... in the context of this current religious discussion (as in how the character's religion is affecting their choices), I would have thought that would have been a big stumbling block ("that" being her LACK of religious conviction towards polygamy).

Is this just a gap in the writing? A backstory that has not been fully fleshed out because the writer's don't care as it's not something they really ever have to back-track and explain? Or is it just me who doesn't get it ... or is it just me who wonders?
#1030 of 1049 Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Good questions. I have no answers though, because the writing regularly baffles me :shurg
#1031 of 1049 Old 09-01-2007, 01:59 AM

Yeah not sure we are meant to understand!
#1032 of 1049 Old 09-01-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:

What was Barb expecting to get out of her speech to Bill that she has to come first or whatever? Was that because of Nikki saying "it's not the Bill and Barb show anymore. You only get 1/4 of the information, if that." Was that speech Barb's way of saying, "you had at least better do me the courtesy of telling me all this business stuff FIRST from now on, or I walk" ??? Why did she agree to be on the board for Weber gaming? What does that mean exactly?
No this came about after Roman's wife talked to her in the kitchen. When she said being afraid or embarrassed? by being a polygamist makes her less than first wife (in essence). I think it hit home for Barb and minutes later she took Margie over to Pam's and outted the family. Then came the conversation where she told Bill that she had outed them and that she would take nothing less than being first.
#1033 of 1049 Old 09-01-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah ITA that that was the impetus for her change.
#1034 of 1049 Old 09-01-2007, 03:05 PM

Hey I started a thread on a new HBO show Tell Me You Love Me. I thought maybe some of
the other Big Love lovers would like to join me on some discussion when the show starts. I
don't want to let go of the fun discussion and other people's point of view now that Big Love
is on break.

Come join the fun!

(For those who miss all the lovey scenes on Big Love, it looks like this show might give us
our fix) :

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#1035 of 1049 Old 09-03-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemama View Post
I liked the show so far, too. Looks like this Sunday's episode will be a good one.

Wife #2 bugs me for some reason. Wife #1 seems the most normal, although I like wife #3 a lot, too. I felt so bad for her when she was left to watch all of the kids.

Kinda OT: The daughter's co-worker (whose father is the state trooper) is Tina Majorino. I really like her (she was such a sad little girl on Corrina, Corrina, with Whoopi Goldberg). Both she and the daughter are on Veronica Mars (she plays a computer geek and the daughter is the late Lily Kane). Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was wondering where they may have seen them before.
So sorry to bring this up from the 3rd page. I just started renting and watching this and completely missed she was the little girl in Corrinia Corrina. I love that move. One of my all time favorites. I realized she was on VM, along with the girl who played lily (talk about different characters on different shows.) I know that "Beaver" (he was Dicks brother on VM) is on this show too and there does seem to be a lot of VM cross over. I miss that show so much. Does any more people from it show up on Big love as the seasons continue? I don't want to read too much ahead since I haven't got there yet (just disk one so far of season 1.)
#1036 of 1049 Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just noticed last night while watching Titanic that the guy in Titanic who is obsessed with and researching the ships contents is BILL. Just thought I'd share.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#1037 of 1049 Old 09-05-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are hilarious, Bill Paxton has been in tons of stuff. Yeah Titanic....Twister..Apollo 13...ect. I liked him in Indian Summer
#1038 of 1049 Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You guys are hilarious, Bill Paxton has been in tons of stuff. Yeah Titanic....Twister..Apollo 13...ect. I liked him in Indian Summer
He's always been burned in my mind as the character from Alien..."Game over man! Game over!" said in best surfer dude voice!
#1039 of 1049 Old 09-05-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Well, I get all that. I get Margene wanting to be in the family; I think they've shown those layers pretty well...

I just don't get what was in it for the rest. I think Bill fell in lust with her... and later love. But what did Nikki and Barb get out of the deal? Just curious. I do think Margene is charming, I can see her charming them both, but ... in the context of this current religious discussion (as in how the character's religion is affecting their choices), I would have thought that would have been a big stumbling block ("that" being her LACK of religious conviction towards polygamy).

Is this just a gap in the writing? A backstory that has not been fully fleshed out because the writer's don't care as it's not something they really ever have to back-track and explain? Or is it just me who doesn't get it ... or is it just me who wonders?
How much say do the current wives get on the next? To look at how things are done at Juniper Creek, it seems like they get NO say at all - that wives are assigned to husbands on some level. Husbands might get some say, but remember that bit about how they were going to reassign some wife to another man? It seems like at JC the Prophet is the final say in family arrangements.

With that in mind, it seems to me like Nickie might put up a fuss on the "she's not one of us" line, but she really and truly believes in The Principle and submissiveness to her husband, so having another sister-wife is part of that.
Ahh: http://www.i4m.com/think/sexuality/polygamy_sex.htm - this Law of Sarah seems to be a part of it.

And now I'll stop because Im not sure how much of this is show discussion and how much is a religion discussion.
#1040 of 1049 Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
And don't forget Weird Science (he was Chet, the a-hole big brother)
#1041 of 1049 Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show. i so sad the season has come to an end! i think that season 3 is going to have alot in store! what do you think about what Alby (sp) did to his dad?

oh i almost forgot... i have a strong LOVE/HATE relationship with Nikki. what do you think about her? at times I CANT STAND HER!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#1042 of 1049 Old 09-07-2007, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ohhhh ok......I've never seen him in anything else and I've never seen any of the movies you listed so when I recognized him on Titanic I was surprised!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#1043 of 1049 Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 AM

"Game over, man! Game over!"

Best.Delivery.Ever.
#1044 of 1049 Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I just don't get what was in it for the rest. I think Bill fell in lust with her... and later love. But what did Nikki and Barb get out of the deal?
More children for the family, right? Building an even larger family seems very important.

Also, her religion (or lack thereof) seems irrelevant to their thinking. Seems like Bill is told by the Holy Spirit who to marry, who is he (or Nikki or Barb) to question the Spirit's choice?

On another topic,
I'm afraid y'all are right about Sarah's relationship breaking her heart soon, but I saw her sleeping with the boyfriend as an act of liberation. She was declaring independence from the LDS way of thinking that premarital sex makes you unclean, and thereby all the LDS way of thinking. I hope she doesn't have morning after regret, I am really trying to see it as a positive move for her.
#1045 of 1049 Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Banned

when does season 2 end? i didn't get cable after all, and want to get the dvd as soon as it is available.
Thanks!
#1046 of 1049 Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrown View Post
when does season 2 end? i didn't get cable after all, and want to get the dvd as soon as it is available.
Thanks!
The second season just ended. The DVD is set to release right before Christmas.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#1047 of 1049 Old 09-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000 View Post
Thank you very much! I have something to look forward to.
#1048 of 1049 Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000 View Post
it is in my shopping cart. :
#1049 of 1049 Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM

I only caught a few episodes of the second season, including the finale... but I just finished watching season 1.

I haven't read through the discussions here but I just wanted to add that I'm addicted!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page