Big Love (minus the LDS debate) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1049 Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok for all that want to discuss the show w/o all the bickering and drama about them being Mormon or not really Mormon, feel free to post here.

oh and Ginnifer Goodwin links are appreciated
#2 of 1049 Old 03-13-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
oh and Ginnifer Goodwin links are appreciated

subbing!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#3 of 1049 Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy

subbing!
What does subbing mean also what does bumping mean, I have seen it a lot but don't know what they mean LOL.
Yes that new show is great I loved it.
#4 of 1049 Old 03-13-2006, 10:52 PM

She looks so familiar, what else has she been in?
#5 of 1049 Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds
What does subbing mean also what does bumping mean, I have seen it a lot but don't know what they mean LOL.
Yes that new show is great I loved it.
well bumping means posting for the purpose of moving the thread back to the top on the forum list, usually in hopes of getting more action, lol.

subbing, hmmmm depends on the context but in this forum means subscribing to the thread so you get emails letting you know when there are new posts.

what else has Ginnifer Goodwin been in?

Mona Lisa Smile. She was also a regular on the TV show Ed. She most recently played Viviane Cash Johnnys' first wife in Walk the Line.
#6 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 04:54 AM

I loved it! Looks like it will be good!

And it looks like Ginnifer Goodwins character is nursing. WTG HBO! They had BF in the Sopranos and Six Feet Under as well.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#7 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 10:46 AM

We watched and loved! And Bill Paxton has always had a special place in my....ummm...heart!
#8 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Thank you for starting this thread, Arduinna

I watched the show again last night. Bill Paxton is yummy. Ginnifer is gorgeous, too. I like that scene of their night.

I really like how the show already has so many layers to it.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#9 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 02:39 PM

I watched on Sunday too. I found it interesting, but am not sure I really liked it. It might be like most other new HBO shows, I might have to let it grow on me. But I felt like something was missing......I am not sure what.........

I am definitely curious to follow along as the season progresses.
#10 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama
I watched on Sunday too. I found it interesting, but am not sure I really liked it. It might be like most other new HBO shows, I might have to let it grow on me. But I felt like something was missing......I am not sure what.........

I am definitely curious to follow along as the season progresses.
I understand your train of thought. I think most of HBO's dramas build on, giving us just that little bit of info each week. Nothing like alot of regular shows that wrap it up each week. Even shows with ongoing things, still wrap up their little "mini-point" within an episode...KWIM?
#11 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 03:08 PM

Very true Alkenny. HBO circumvents the traditional formula show for sure. And the characters are usually complex enough that you really have to get to know them before you become emotionally invested in their stories.
I am definitely going to give Big Love a chance, but I am not a completely addicted and dedicated watcher quite yet.
#12 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 06:02 PM

Just subbing

Haven't watched yet (sitting on my DVR), but probably will tonight
#13 of 1049 Old 03-14-2006, 07:17 PM

I loved it...but find it hard to believe they is no raging jealousy about sharing a husband. Maybe there will be? I hope so!
#14 of 1049 Old 03-15-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf2
I loved it...but find it hard to believe they is no raging jealousy about sharing a husband. Maybe there will be? I hope so!
Oh, I saw some in there...and from the preview there will be more next week!
#15 of 1049 Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 PM

When did the show start? I wanted to order HBO to watch it! Have I missed much?
#16 of 1049 Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 PM
rn

thanks for starting this thread!

I still want to watch it one more time this week as I missed a few parts last sunday. I think its going to be great.

I really like Bill Paxton. And the middle wife (chloe, is her real name I think). I like that she is from the same place he is (the clan) and that she has a serious shopping addiction! She also seems to have her own credit cards and her own checking account so I dont think anyone has any idea she has such a huge problem.

Quote:
When did the show start?
you have not missed much. the first episode was this past sunday.
#17 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 01:08 AM

I'll definitely be tuning in next week.

I like how they give us one little crumb after another and force us to use our speculatory imaginations.

So, Wife #1 had cancer and shortly after he married #2. The first thought that popped in my head was, "that piece of sh!t did that to his wife while she was going through cancer!".... but that's the obvious conclusion, right? So that means that #1 probably came up with the whole idea to begin with?

The final scene... with the boner! LMAO!

The poisoning of the father? Hello! Isn't it obvious to the people that the prophet is poisoning him --- especially after bringing a pitcher of whatever and telling them to have him drink it all.
#18 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

I don't understand why he is tithing to the cult anyway, other than the fact that he is married to the "Prophets" daughter. And that is wierd anyway since he chose to leave the group and clearly he and wife #1 (can't remember her name atm) don't support the cult either.

I didn't have any issue with him marrying wife number 2 when wife number 1 had cancer. I don't know? I'm a cancer survivor and had only a 30% cance of making it and I would have wanted my husband to remarry and be happy. And I support open relationships (between consenting adults) so I am sure I have a different view than many. Seems odd though that given the possibility that she would die that wife number 1 would want the prophets daughter raising her kids if she died, since she seems very against the group and how they live.

Just doesn't seem plausible, so I hope they explain.
#19 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 08:45 AM

I figure that he isn't really tithing to the cult, but is instead paying them back with interest. Maybe he received money to start his store from the leader, in exchange for marrying his daughter? Very mafia like.
#20 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 09:33 AM

: I read that somewhere already-something about in addition to the pressures from his wives, he is being harrassed by a father in law who he owes or owed money to. There was definitely an element of mafia like behavior.
#21 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 AM

no comment
#22 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 11:53 AM
rn

I got to watch the show in full last night.
It does seem that the prophet is after his money, what a great last scene w/ him.
Did anyone else notice when he turned up in the parking lot he said I gave your wife a ride home (not I gave my daughter). I wonder if he married Nikki because he was forced? who knows the reason. But I agree that wife #1, even if she thought she was dying of cancer would not want to be involved w/ another wife from the clan her husband came from.
It seemed the ONLY reason she went with him to see his father was because Nikki (wife#2) was going (so she wouldnt be alone w/ him).

And at the very beginning of the show, there was mention of the church trying to send spies into their neighborhood...(someone across the street just sold their house). Clearly they are on the defense.
And the oldest daughter scolded him because he came out the front door of the "wrong" house that first morning! his reply to her was something like he was careful and made sure nobody was around to see.

Its so complex, so many small things going on; his brother is a recovering drug addict, his mother only seems to have 2 children "left", did she have more, but they died? or some thing else happened and they left also? the oldest daughter seems almost embarrased (rightfully so) of her family. Is the new girl at the restaurant they work in some sort of spy for the church? That would not suprise me, she is a good actress and I would think they would want to have her character be a bit more involved.

okay, I will stop writing my book about big love
I am just glad I finally have some good TV to watch again.
#23 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know that it's clear yet, but I think the oldest daughter is just being protective since she must know that polygamy is illegal in the US. At least that is my guess at this point.
#24 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 04:50 PM

I loved the show. Like HBO does---- Im already hooked. Its helping me cope with the fact 6 feet under is over, which has not been an easy adjustment for me

I already have a STRONG disliking for Nikki...... ewwwww

I love the other 2 though.

Mom to 3 Married to geek.gif for 10 wonderful years luxlove.gif
13 af.gif 9 goodvibes.gifand 6coolshine.gif

#25 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I don't like Nikki either, she is definately her fathers daughter, not sure why he married her. Hopefully they can show she has SOME redeeming qualities. Not sure what they could be though?? LOL
#26 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 05:24 PM

Okay, I finally got to watch last night, and was very pleased. I'm excited to keep watching!!

I like staying out of the convos of 'theorizing' the whys etc, so I'll keep away from those topics, but will say I just love this show already
#27 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 05:32 PM

I did not like Nikki either but I felt sad for her. She seems very unhappy and trapped. Wife #3 seems to be struggling quite a bit too.

There were so many little details that I'm anxious to find out what they mean! How accurate is the show? Do the wives really set a schedule of what night the husband will be with each one?

The oldest daughter's coworker's father is a state trooper. That should be interesting!
#28 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 05:54 PM

I watched it last night too and really enjoyed it.

some random thoughts:
is there something to the daughter Sara's co-worker's father being a state trooper? seems sarah gave her a look when she said that, like it was a cover up of some sort? oh, and that girl was Deb on napoleon dynamite I believe.

I think there is going to be lots of jealousy going on b/w the wives. and I'm curious to see how that develops. I agree too -- weird that he married the prophet's daughter. I gathered that him giving money to the prophet was more of a mafia style thing that tithing. I also wondered if those were nikki's own credit cards. and why did she cry after making that big purchase?

the boner scene was hilarious! and the scene where that young girl (prophet's wife) was talking to Barb (wife #1). . . ohhh that just gave me the creeps.

OT: related the breastfeeding on the Sopranos comment (I should go find the Sopranos thread but will mention it here anyway). . . did anyone notice that right after they showed janice breastfeeding (close up, tattoo and all ) that the hobby train car that sailed by was a Nestle ad???? i had to have dh pause it and go over the whole nestle thing.

anyway, reading here with interest to get others' thoughts on the show

namaste.gif

#29 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 06:41 PM

Did anyone else read the character bios on http://hbo.com ? Nothing overly exciting, but some info that might help understand certain relationships.

As for the girls father being a state trooper, well, Sarah's family is living illegally, and seem to be trying to keep it as quiet as they possibly can. So yeah, I'd be a bit freaked if a new potential friends' father was a state trooper, wouldn't you?

And yes, the friend was in Napolean Dynamite, and Sarah was in Mean Girls, and even Rhonda (prophets new young wife) was the voice of Lilo in Lilo and Stitch (she was also in the Ring movies)... I recognized sooo many faces in this show...lol
#30 of 1049 Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 PM

I kind of had the thought that the girl at the restaurant (Heather?) may be part of a polygamist family,too. She seemed to take an interest in Sarah from that point - or maybe she wants to make a project of Sarah. I'm not sure.

As I said in the other thread, I wonder how wife #1 will feel about signing over her check when she sees Nikki's $3000 drapes - and when she finds out that Nikki is the only one that Bill "allows" to have a checkbook. Also was interesting when Nikki was talking to her mom, telling them that the other wives don't get it - it's all about material things, fixing up their houses, etc.

I really am curious to see how it plays out that Bill doesn't seem to have time for the kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page