Top Chef - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 03-16-2006, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone watching this or seen it? I think tonight is the 2nd episode.

Billy Joels wife (host) seems so blah and very monotone. Something about Miguel freaks me out-can't quite place it. I want to wipe that snooty pucker off Stephen's face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 97 Old 03-16-2006, 03:29 PM

is that who the host is? i couldnt figure it out who she was and why she was hosting....

and something about miguel kinda sets me on edge too, and i think it's because his eyes are so close set?

and is stephen the guy who won the quick challenge at the beginning. he is way too smug. that usually never pays off in the end.

bravo is so good at these reality shows!
#3 of 97 Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 AM

I just found this show and watched a marathon yesterday but I don't think I saw the first episode. I am now obsessed and watched more repeats today! My dh even likes it and he hates most reality shows.

1. I totally agree that Katie Joel is bland. Pretty girl but they should have someone better for this. Even Bobby Flay would be better.

2. I cannot stand Stephen, he is such a snot and I hope he loses. He reminds me of Santino from Project Runway, he tries to hard to be strange and it will hurt him in the end. He must go!

3. I really like Lee Ann, I hope she wins

4. I thought it was hysterical when Migeul calle Tiffani a snake and then went sssssss

5. I didn't think that tasting quick fire challenge was fair, it had nothing to do with their abilities. I think it would have been neat to award a prize but then have a different challenge for the quick fire.

6. I like Dave alot but that man needs to get his emotions under control

I really like this show alot. Who knew that chefs were so potty mouthed! and bitchy! They are worse then the designers on PR!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#4 of 97 Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only foodie geek here! I saw Katie Joel on Martha Stewart (I am an admitted foodie geek) and that's the only reason I knew who she was. You'd think that producers would send her to some personality classes or something. DS is more animated than she is!

If I ever hear Steven say, "I knew my dish and presentation were superior" I'll reach through the TV and mess up his hair! I think my favorite line was Lee Ann's where she said he was a sommelier, which is essentially a b.s. artist! I agree-I want her to win. I wish that the JL women would have commented out loud when he was asking them if they'd ever heard of a plantain and talking to them like they were stupid. UGH!

I was sad to see Andrea go just to see more reactions to her BM comments! I also liked Lisa, the non-culinary school mom.

Oh, folks in the industry are SOOOO bitchy! DH has worked as a manager of many establishments over the last 10 years, and some of the Exec Chefs, Maitre D's and Sommeliers were way too full of themselves. He had some very salty comments at the end of many nights!

Next week looks interesting.
#5 of 97 Old 04-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

I am pretty much addicted to all the bravo reality shows. Top Chef is not the best but it is more interesting than most of the rest of tv. I liked the taste test because I think the guest chef made a good point that you cannot always rely on your sight in the kitchen. I was glad Andrea won one. The look on Stephen's face was priceless. Can you believe that guy is only 24? He has the sourpuss look of a man much older. I like Dave, too, but he cried too much on the most recent episode. I kind of like Harold and Lee Ann as faves.
#6 of 97 Old 04-14-2006, 06:32 PM

Why is Harold such an angry young man? And you've gotta love the wine snob. He's figured out so much by age 24-I'm so glad he's there to educate all of the philistines like myself out in TV land. I'm rooting for Lee Anne-although I think her dishes are a little too fussy, but I have to root for someone from the FCI. I've come to like Tiffani a little more as well-although she's a bit abrasive she doesn't take crap from the guys. I think the final 3 (do they do that on Top Chef?) will be her, Lee Anne, and Harold. Stephen's stuff is just too conceptual-he should stick to sniffing corks!
#7 of 97 Old 04-16-2006, 12:32 PM

Waaahhh! We just scaled back on our Dish Network programming to save some $$$, and no more Bravo! I've been totally into this show, too, so I'll have to check in with this thread to see who wins. I really like Lee Anne too, and agree that Katie Joel is a great big yawn as a host. Speaking of chef-type reality shows, is anyone watching The Next Food Network Star on Food Network? It's really interesting to see how a cooking show comes together. I like it because it seems less produced than a lot of other reality shows. Anyway, sorry for the off-topic! Maybe I can find a friend to Tivo Top Chef for me.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#8 of 97 Old 04-17-2006, 12:21 AM

There is also a new show on network TV that is something like Iron Chef only with celebrities, I think it starts this week. It's called Celebrity Cooking Showdown. Starts Monday and it's a week long event.

Judges are: Colin Cowie and Gael Greene who I have never heard of??

Each night is three different celebs

Here is the link
http://www.nbc.com/Celebrity_Cooking_Showdown/

#9 of 97 Old 04-17-2006, 03:29 AM

I loooove this show! DH & I watch it faithfully! Stephen bugs me! (He lives in Las Vegas, where I live.) Tiffany is a little snot also!
#10 of 97 Old 04-17-2006, 06:49 PM

and I just have to say what my favorite top chef moment has been.

Howard: "Fongool!!!"
#11 of 97 Old 04-17-2006, 08:11 PM

I came across this show two weeks ago and LOVE IT! Stephen is a bit of a snot. Yes, he may have some knowledge, but the way he shows it off really gets on my nerves. I like Lee Ann as well. Tiffani really is a snot, especially after I saw how she was w/the episode were they had to serve the kids at the Boys & Girls Club. I couldn't believe how much of an attitude she had, and did not try to ease up at all even after the judges told her about it.

Miguel is an interesting character (to say the least). I kinda like Harold he seems very mellow or something. Dave does need to get himself together, I can't get over all the crying he is doing.

Can't wait until Wednesday nite. I already have my tv programmed for Bravo at 10 now so I don't miss it.
#12 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Great episode last night! Loved that Stephen got a spanking. I like Harold more and more-what a great guy for taking himself out of the running for Cannes. I'm a bit surprised they gave it to dave after he bashed Tiffani. Buh bye Miguel!

I like Tiffani, too-she might be abrasive but she's quite often right. Lee Anne's great-what a team she had to deal with! If Stephen were yapping to me about wine like that I'd tell him to shut it and bring my effing meal!

I loved the Spain concept best, but they definitely should have picked a more accessible dish, which would have been so easy to do. Can't wait till next week-I think Stephen will go next.
#13 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 AM

I love this show! I ran a vegetarian restaurant for years, and worked in food service since I was 14, so it's very dear to my heart.

I'm surprised Stephen didn't get booted last night, the service suffered because he couldn't keep the floor running. Lee Ann and Miguel pretty much had it under control in the kitchen, even though Miguel F's up, a LOT, he usually bounces right back.

I love Harold, what a great guy, I don't think he's going to win, though, I think Lee Ann will, unless she does something really stupid.
I totally thought Dave deserved to win, he made a great comeback, ran the floor and helped in the kitchen, kept it under control until it was over (a real challenge for him, his emotions are so close to the surface!) and I think Tiffani deserved to be put in her place. She has great talent and skills, but she sabotages her team mates too much. She is a snake (Sssssss!) and I really think she turned up Lee Ann's oven several episodes ago.

I'm rooting for Lee Ann, she has great skills and talent, doesn't sell out her team mates to the judges, and even though she's rarely outstanding, she's consistant with her quality and presentation.
#14 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 02:43 PM

sevenkids-first of all, I like your signature line. You must have been sorry to see Andrea go-she's cool! I always wanted to study at the Natural Gourmet School when I lived in NYC, so I was rooting for her.
#15 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids
I'm surprised Stephen didn't get booted last night, the service suffered because he couldn't keep the floor running. Lee Ann and Miguel pretty much had it under control in the kitchen, even though Miguel F's up, a LOT, he usually bounces right back.

I totally thought Dave deserved to win, he made a great comeback, ran the floor and helped in the kitchen, kept it under control until it was over (a real challenge for him, his emotions are so close to the surface!)
I wish Stephen had been booted out, too. He is just so pompous and full of himself. Can you imagine the horror of being at an expensive restaurant, waiting and waiting for your food while that guy is giving you an education on the wine? I think I would have to sneak out to the restroom and talk to the manager.

I love Dave. He and Harold are my faves for general nice guys. I think Harold is the best chef and I am rooting for him to win.
#16 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata
sevenkids-first of all, I like your signature line. You must have been sorry to see Andrea go-she's cool! I always wanted to study at the Natural Gourmet School when I lived in NYC, so I was rooting for her.
I'm really surprised Andrea made it as far as she did! I was happy to see her and her philosophy, so much gourmet food is over rich and fatty. Her dishes just weren't appealing, and she tried to incorporate way too many ingredients. Healthy food can still be pretty and flavourful, y/k?

Quote:
Can you imagine the horror of being at an expensive restaurant, waiting and waiting for your food while that guy is giving you an education on the wine?
It's the worst. Plus he's smarmy as all get out. Ick. He really blew it for the team, much more than Miguel did, IMO. the quality of the food suffered because of the long wait while Stephen "educated" the diners.
I would have fired him if that was my restaurant!:
#17 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 03:14 PM

Does anybody else come up with recipes whenthey watch the show?
My sexy dessert would have blown Stephen's right out of the water! Although his was the best (very, very pretty!) mine would have been better.
#18 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids
Does anybody else come up with recipes whenthey watch the show?
My sexy dessert would have blown Stephen's right out of the water! Although his was the best (very, very pretty!) mine would have been better.
So...what is your idea for a sexy dessert?

It's strange because I love food, but I can never think of a good idea for any of these challenges. I never had a problem dreaming about what clothing item I would design for Project Runway (although I am a fashion moron )

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#19 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM

I would have won that sandwich contest! I LOVE sandwiches!

I too thought that Stephen should have gone. They would have gotten a better over all rating if he had not talked their ears off. Idiot!

My favorite moment was Dave "I'm not your b**ch B**CH!" Classic TV! Glad they didn't beep it I was also glad that he had one. While I think Tifani is a wonderful cook she is too much of a snot for me. " I could have run the front" Ummm yeah.....But you didn't! I was praying that they would pick him.

I think it will come down to LeeAnn, Tiffani and Harold, they seem to have the most success with dishes. I do think it is unfair to have team challenges. If your stuck with sucky teammates as Lee Ann was, you have no hope of winning.

Also did you see the previews of next week when Tiffani makes the wedding cake with BOXED mix!!! Why not it is an item in a food store and none of them are pastry chefs. I can't wait to see them ream her out!

#20 of 97 Old 04-20-2006, 11:52 PM

I only let myself watch "educational shows" most of which are cooking related. DH says Top Chef and Next Food Network Star don't count, but I say they do!

So I have been watching for a few weeks, and thought the same thing as you guys about the host, what a snooze, so flat! Then for the first time I was actually watching the opening credits (usually washing up for bed) and I saw her name... Katie Joel. Well, I am a HUGE Billy Joel fan and remember when I first heard he was marrying a 22 year old (or was she 23 then?). I thought "Well, I'm 25, guess I'm too old". So I RAN to the computer and looked up "Katie Joel" + "Billy Joel" and lo and behold IT IS HER! Now I have a whole new dislike for her (okay, not really).

I think Lee Ann, Tiffani, and Harold are definitely the best all around chefs. I think Harold is too self-limiting with his "I won't do that" or "that's not me" responses to so many of the challenges. Tiffani is a bit of a snake, but that could work for her, IYKWIM. I think Lee Ann should win. I also think Stephen should have to work at McDonalds in the 'hood for a year! Knock him down a few notches! The "I'm always in the top 3% of everything I do" statement KILLED me! Do you think he has run the actual stats? I bet he has!
#21 of 97 Old 04-21-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622
So...what is your idea for a sexy dessert?

It's strange because I love food, but I can never think of a good idea for any of these challenges. I never had a problem dreaming about what clothing item I would design for Project Runway (although I am a fashion moron )
Okay, get this.....since it was a fetish shop, with someone named Madame S (wonder what the "S" stands for, heh heh!)

Crystalized Champagne mousse with raspberries and whipped cream folded into the top, served in.............

Glass slippers!

You know those little fake "glass" pumps they have for little girl's dress-up? You can get a box of 5 pairs for about 10 dollars at Target. Set the mousse in the shoe. What could be sexier and kinkier than champagne out of a "ladies" shoe?

I bet RuPaul would have been my b!tch after that!

The "I'm always in the top 3% of everything I do" statement KILLED me! Do you think he has run the actual stats? I bet he has!

You know which remark killed me?
Re: Candace;

"If you can't take the heat, it would be best if you removed yourself from the kitchen"

Snot.
#22 of 97 Old 04-21-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man-I was chanting "Steven it's time to pack your knives and go" over and over again. I really wish that the judges would have made a bigger deal about Steven's bad service or the fact that he spent the bulk of his time shopping and like 30 minutes setting up. That really was their downfall because LeeAnne had the kitchen rocking. After this week, I think she'll win. If she could handle Steven and Miguel, she could handle anyone!

So glad that Dave won the trip to Cannes. He really was on point with FOH/BOH stuff. I really think Tiffani is trying to prove to herself in the contest that she's the best by not sharing responsibilities and assuming the position of boss. I like Harold, but he kind of fades into the background and is happy about it.

I wish Andrea were still in, too. I was so happy when she smoked Steven in the tasting challenge. And Daves comment about Steven's eyes rolling in his head!
#23 of 97 Old 04-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I like Harold, but he kind of fades into the background and is happy about it.
:

I also with Steven was packing his knives. Can't wait 'til next week.
#24 of 97 Old 04-21-2006, 08:14 PM

I just got done watching last nights show and was not surprised to see Miguel go. He needed to step it up this week and didn't again. I normally like Dave, but he seemed a little off the wall calling Tiffany b**ch in front of the judges! I thought that was a little random.
#25 of 97 Old 04-21-2006, 09:36 PM

I'm thinkin' Tom C. really likes Harold and how he thinks/cooks. So Harold is ok where he is doing what he does. I like Lee Anne a lot, but to me she's a little too French Culinary. In other words, not very hip.
#26 of 97 Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stephen reminds me of the Christian Bale character in American Psycho. He freaks me out.

I'm not sure who I like best, either Leigh Ann or Harold.
#27 of 97 Old 04-21-2006, 11:45 PM

oh, eerie!

I was so surprised to see his age-he holds himself like he's in his sixties!
#28 of 97 Old 04-22-2006, 10:42 AM

There was one shot where Stephen had just come through a door (maybe out from the judges panel thing) and he had his shoulders raised and his hands kind of together and this look on his face, and DH and I both at the same time said "Mr. Burns!" As in from the Simpsons. We haven't even watched the Simpsons in ages but we BOTH got that image at exactly the same time!
#29 of 97 Old 04-22-2006, 12:42 PM

OMG Holiztic-that's exactly what I was talking about-and you're right!

I was thinking he looked like Liberace, but Mr. Burns is even better.
#30 of 97 Old 04-22-2006, 01:16 PM

I can not stand Stephen either. So smug & arrogant. I think he will be around to the final end, as he makes for good TV. Just like that guy on Project Runway....I can not remember his name (his 15 minutes are up! ) I would want either woman to win, Tiffani or Lee Ann.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page