Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, but he's such a follower! Riley never thought for himself, he wanted to follow orders. Not such a good fit. I concede that Buffy has a self-destructive streak when it comes to men, though.
#62 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 12:50 AM

I've been reading This Connor virtual show called The Destroyer. It's pretty good! Takes place after Angel ended, Faith is in it.
#63 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 AM

See I am not a FanFic kinda gal. I usually hate it because I tend to disagree with how they end up! LOL

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#64 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry to change the subject, but when does the new comic come out?

I checked out some older Buffy comics the other day at the library and I didn't like them surprisingly. I LOVE Buffy and comics but I just thought they were a bit lackluster. I'm looking forward to a continuation of the "canon" story though. (I am new to all this lingo )
#65 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 AM

Lazyhead try VM again. It's no Buffy replacement but it's quite good.

Angel (the character and the series) has my heart but I love Buffy as well. I am in denial that seasons 6 and 7 exist though... even though I own season 6. :
#66 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera
I've been enjoying that Season 6, it's very well done.
Eeek. I disagree, but do concede it's better than season seven. I dislike it so intensely for two reasons: the passporting of Buffy meeting with Angel after her resurrection and the COMMERCIAL break during Spike's assault on Buff during "Seeing Red." What was MN thinking?!

Kitten poker and the musical jack up my estimation a bit though, hence me buying the entire season.
#67 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM

Selu, on the VM suggestion. We love it!

I have to share this, DH and I are both working from home this morning (hence me being at MDC ) and he just came into my office with a tee shirt that says "Joss Whedon is my master now" in Starwars font. Some of his buddies gave it to him recently. So funny.
#68 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum
I have to share this, DH and I are both working from home this morning (hence me being at MDC ) and he just came into my office with a tee shirt that says "Joss Whedon is my master now" in Starwars font. Some of his buddies gave it to him recently. So funny.
#69 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selu
Eeek. I disagree, but do concede it's better than season seven. I dislike it so intensely for two reasons: the passporting of Buffy meeting with Angel after her resurrection and the COMMERCIAL break during Spike's assault on Buff during "Seeing Red." What was MN thinking?!

Kitten poker and the musical jack up my estimation a bit though, hence me buying the entire season.
Whoops, I was talking about the fanfic Angel season 6, not buffy season 6. Buffy 6 was probably my least favorite. Except, of course, for kitten poker and the musical. Exactly.

I actually thought 7 had some great moments. Overall maybe not that great, but there was some good writing there.
#70 of 107 Old 08-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Dark Alchemy is a good one, too. There's kind of a Gary Stu character, but it works. There's a twist! This is really good stuff. I'm loving the existential scoobies site
#71 of 107 Old 09-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I've been exploring the spuffy fanfic a bit, most of it is pretty smarmy. The more I think about it, the more I think that in a hypothetical future it would be pretty awful to contemplate them getting (back?) together. I mean, would it be possible for them not to be in an abusive relationship, even with the soul? It's not like Spike went off to AtS and treated Harmony particularly well, and didn't feel any remorse or see anything wrong with it.

with Buffy I think he liked her beating him up. I mean, she was the initiator and the abuser for the most part. He wanted it, if that was all he could get, but it wasn't good for either of them. I don't know how much the soul would change the way he reveled in fighting with her. Could it be just jolly sparring? Maybe. And what for Buffy? She did want to be able to spar with Riley and have him match her strength, that was one of the major things that didn't work for them. I'm interested to see if there is any shippy stuff in the comic, what Joss does with the Immortal character. Someone for her to pick on? Someone to treat her badly because she feels like she needs to atone? Or true growth and moving on. Hmm.

Anyway, some good AU season 8 (very adult and pretty yucky so I'm not going to link to it here) spuffy stuff is season noir, a google will pull it up. Not for the faint of heart though. It is very well written, one of those fanfic writers that you know is doing it for practice and we'll see their novel one of these days. Better than Cassie Claire, even. But, it is definitely Noir. Spike does not go off to get a soul (there's an alternate season 7 ender from an alternate season 7) though most of the relationship dynamics are still there. Anyway, if you like the dark stuff this is a good one.

Re-reading this post it seems like I'm really jazzed by the violence, which isn't really true. I don't like violence in my own life, but I can see its use as a metaphor in Buffy. Violence is what she does, and she has this incredible strength, and it gets all twisted. Faith does the same thing, even. You see it in Kennedy too. I wonder if it's a Slayer thing? Or a virtue of their training, that the watchers historically don't think overmuch about the slayer's feelings? Giles was an aberration.

Dh says I think way too much about what is, after all, just a television show.:
#72 of 107 Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM

Good to know, thanks.
#73 of 107 Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm starting it all over with Season 1. So young and innocent and beautiful :
#74 of 107 Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 PM

What fanfic are people reading this week?

I think I'm going to do some Anita blake/BtVS this weekend.
#75 of 107 Old 09-07-2006, 04:52 PM

I finished season noir and I am so sad it is an incomplete work, 2.5 years since the last installment I'm sure she's never going back to it I don't know how I could top it, seriously it was good! I'm waiting for more "episodes" of the Destroyer and that Angel season 6.

I'd really like to read a Buffy season 8 that does follow events in AtS 5, but I haven't found anything besides the Queen of the Slayers book and it wasn't inspiring.

I'm feeling kind of over the spuffy thing, having waded through so much sappy stuff.

Want to recommend something?

I started on a library book today, something by Sean Williams but I forget the title. It's pretty good, though. A new book, first in a fantasy series. Yup, I'm a masochist, lol...
#76 of 107 Old 09-07-2006, 04:56 PM

I can recommend some really racy B/G stuff.

Umm, how about some crossovers?
#77 of 107 Old 09-09-2006, 05:31 PM

well, there's always Spangel...:
#78 of 107 Old 09-09-2006, 09:49 PM

fyi, they are playing a season 1 buffy (my tivo says it's episode number 4, but it sure sounds like the very first episode) on sept 17 at 7pm on the soon to be defunct WB channel...

preceded by the very first angel (tivo says it's episode 1) on sept 17 at 6pm on the soon to be defunct WB channel.

~claudia
#79 of 107 Old 09-10-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyV
I can recommend some really racy B/G stuff.

Umm, how about some crossovers?
Ew! Sorry, I'm having a hard time going there. Spangel actually sounds interesting.......

Crossovers would be fun, sure! I've been reading Chiaroscuro. http://home.mchsi.com/~missmurchison/
It started out OK, but is degenerating into the whole spike gets a soul and turns human but still retains his kung fu moves thing.

I need some unabashed fluff, because nothing is good after season noir. That's a fanfic that deserves some fanfic of its own! OK, I'll shut up about that one.
#80 of 107 Old 09-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I think Angelus/Spike stuff is pretty fun to read... but I kinda get a creepy feeling of the B/G stuff.
#81 of 107 Old 09-11-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zansmama
Yeah, I think Angelus/Spike stuff is pretty fun to read... but I kinda get a creepy feeling of the B/G stuff.
I have the hots for giles so.... : :

Oooo, there is some really hot stuff with Giles and the Anita Blake Characters.

I"ll post more stuff tonight, stories, etc.

I have to admit, I love slash, but I have a hard time with Spangel.
#82 of 107 Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM

I think Tony Head is gorgeous, but BG stuff weirds me out too. I wouldn't have a problem with the age difference if they had just met, but he acted as a father figure to her for so many years that it is creepy to me.
#83 of 107 Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 PM

I think I would like Giles better with Buffy's mom (stupid mommy memory can't find her name: ), and I admit, after seeing "Band Candy" I definitely think he has some hotness.
I guess I may be letting bad experiences with "father figures" of my own cloud my judgement...:
What about Firefly/Btvs crossover? Or Willow/Fred?
#84 of 107 Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think I would like Giles better with Buffy's mom (stupid mommy memory can't find her name: ), and I admit, after seeing "Band Candy" I definitely think he has some hotness.
That's one of my favorite episodes!! Ripper breaks a window to steal a coat for Joyce. Yay Ripper!!

Joyce Summers is played by Kristine Sutherland.
#85 of 107 Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 PM

Oh yeah: JOYCE! RIP:How could I forget?

(LOL: "I'm a comfortador" _one of my favorite Joyce scenes. Also Joyce counseling Spike on his relationship with Dru)
#86 of 107 Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM

Okay, this is probably off topic, but I just read that Sarah Michelle Gellar is a very active member of the Republican party.

Did any of you know this? Is it true? I have been bummed all day.
#87 of 107 Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum
Okay, this is probably off topic, but I just read that Sarah Michelle Gellar is a very active member of the Republican party.

Did any of you know this? Is it true? I have been bummed all day.
Well a quick google search reveals sites such as "conservative babes" and "hollywood republicans" so I'm guessing, yeah, it's true! :
#88 of 107 Old 09-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Ah, just started season 4 for the (3rd?) time. Not my favorite season, but i'm working my way through the whole thing, again. I forgot how much of a jerk that Parker was... : . "Fear Itself" was more scary than I remembered.

I'm also watching Angel 5 on DVD for the first time (since actual airing). Wow. It's better than I remembered, and "A Hole in the World" had me in tears. And I never cry for TV.

I gave Veronica Mars an hour the other night, too... Maybe I'll rent season 1...
#89 of 107 Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
What about Firefly/Btvs crossover? Or Willow/Fred?
Twisting the hellmouth has stuff.

Here:

http://www.tthfanfic.com/Category-1-29/Firefly.htm

I think fanfiction.net has stuff too.
#90 of 107 Old 09-15-2006, 11:35 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page