Survivor comes back - with a fury!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom
It seems to me that in order for this to be considered a problem one would have to believe the teams are not equal in capability.
That is not at all why I consider it a problem. I just don't think it a good idea to seperate teams based on race. Nothing to do with capability, nothing to do with me having issues, nothing at all like that. I just don't think it is a good idea to divide teams based on race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I just don't think it a good idea to seperate teams based on race. Nothing to do with capability, nothing to do with me having issues, nothing at all like that. I just don't think it is a good idea to divide teams based on race.
Can you articulate for me what would be a good basis on which to divide teams?
#63 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armonia
What does THAT mean? I am not saying you are referring to me, eventhough I have posted on this thread several times. But if you are, exactly what does that mean? Not getting your analysis there.
First of all, I have not even entertained the posts on this thread!
I am sorry that you seem to be the ONLY person who has taken the offence to my quote.

It means simply what I said.

Quote:
The only persons who are making a HUGE deal about the teams being split by race are the persons who have their own race issues.
I did read a few, but I care not to read any post that are talking about how horrible this is.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

Simple suggestion and solution.. Do Not Watch Suvivor If the Teams Bother You!

Quote:
JeDeeLenae
Tummy, actually I would be as upset.

I don't like when shows put two groups, that otherwise should be considered equal, against each other to see who wins. It's just another reason to say, well they one that race because "they" are black, white, mexican, young, old, female, or male. It may just be one instance, but many people are too stupid to realize that one group doesn't stand for the whole race/sex/class/age etc.
I am sorry that reality tv has a negative impact on your life. But just as any other aspect in your own life you have a choice... you either chose to watch it and become upset with it, or you do not watch it. -simple as that!
Every reality show out there put thier contestants into "groups".
Look at Joe Schmo. How rude was that show.. poor dude was the ONLY one that did not know he was the butt of the joke. Was it right, perhaps not in manys eyes, but ya know what... It made for really good TV, awsome rattings!

Quote:
people are too stupid to realize that one group doesn't stand for the whole race/sex/class/age etc.
No one is saying that ONE group stands for the whole race/sex/class/age.. not that I have noticed.

This particular show is just one of many many many reality shows out there. They just happen to be the only one out there with any *balls* to actually do it this way.

We watch the Olympics every year that they are on.. we cheer on our country.
I do not see there being controversy in any of the particular sports that have a black team from Africa, a white team from the USA, an Asian team...ect. They are all competing to win the "gold." Each of them are cheered on by their own countries, right.
You getting my picture?
What is the difference in the Olympics and Suvivor (other then the obvious, speaking of the idea of it.. still they are all competing in to win the "gold".)

So, why does there have to be any controversy over the fact that Suvivor has four teams of different ethnic backgrounds?

There is none in the Olympics.!

Come on people, Its TV..
#64 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Just anything not divided by race only.

Maybe random drawing of teams, maybe teams mixed with members of all races, maybe men and women of all ages and colors picked at random, list could go on and on. Just not based on race only.

edited to add...Tummy I am not offended at your post at all. I just do not understand your analogy. No big deal.

also edited to add: There is no comparison of the Olympics to Survivor.
#65 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Most of the time, when groups are separated, it is by sex, age, or randomly. I prefer the random groupings. That makes it more interesting to me. I don't plan on watching Survivor, but to be honest, I can't recall watching more than 5 minutes of any show like that. Just not my cup of tea. I don't have to be a watcher of the show to think their separation idea is stupid.

And yeah, it is TV, but and it's meant for entertainment, but so is bullfighting, dogfights, cockfights, slaves were also used as entertainment. Just because something is "entertaining" doesn't mean it's right.
#66 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
We watch the Olympics every year that they are on.. we cheer on our country.
I do not see there being controversy in any of the particular sports that have a black team from Africa, a white team from the USA, an Asian team...ect. They are all competing to win the "gold." Each of them are cheered on by their own countries, right.
You getting my picture?
What is the difference in the Olympics and Suvivor (other then the obvious, speaking of the idea of it.. still they are all competing in to win the "gold".)

So, why does there have to be any controversy over the fact that Suvivor has four teams of different ethnic backgrounds?

There is none in the Olympics.!
Olympic teams are divided by country, not ethnicity. If the USA were truly represented in the Olympics exclusively by white people (or any other race/ethnicity) I believe I would be out in the streets protesting. I certianly would not be cheering.

Quote:
Come on people, Its TV..
Are you denying that TV has an impact in our society?

Shannon, Single Mama to Delia 9/19/02 : and Mark 5/26/05 :
#67 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:48 PM

I must humbly and in my opinion say it's more than just tv as well. It is a representation of our country. I do feel the idea is divisive and representative of division within the US, which is where it can be charged. And that can be problematic. However, if it can spark discussions and challenge stereotypical beliefs/prejudice it may be a good idea, if that makes any sense...I'm wore out. I don't know I'm still really trying to look at more than just the surface impact of this...
#68 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheRoseGarden

Are you denying that TV has an impact in our society?
I do not believe I have said anything about TV and our society.
#69 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 PM

I am a survivor fan but that is pretty daring. I am not so sure that it is a good idea. I definately think it is all about ratings.
#70 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I do not believe I have said anything about TV and our society.
To me, the attitude that "It's just TV" is a dangerous one. TV and other media have an important role in perpetuating stereotypes. At the very least, TV is a mirror for our prejudices, and I agree with babybugmama that this concept reflects the division in the US.

Shannon, Single Mama to Delia 9/19/02 : and Mark 5/26/05 :
#71 of 107 Old 08-25-2006, 09:18 PM

OK, I read about this earlier today, in addition to not liking the concept to begin with I don't like the way they are organizing it.Hispanic is NOT a race!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnici...ates_Census%29
Quote:
2000 US Census Quotes
US Hispanic or Latino populationThe Office of Management and Budget "is required to use a minimum of two ethnicities: Hispanic or Latino or not Hispanic or Latino"
"The O.M.B. defines Hispanic or Latino as 'a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."
"The federal government considers race and Hispanic origin to be two separate and distinct concepts."
"Hispanics who reported their race as Black (or any race), either alone or in combination with one or more races, are included in numbers for Blacks (that race)."
My fathers side of the family is all Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and they are all white. Many people from the Dominican Republic (for ex) are black. Sorry, kind of my own pet-peeve. Has always driven me crazy when people say my family isn't Hispanic b/c they aren't brown. [Although I understand that this means they are not POC]

Somewhere back a PP mentioned people from the Middle Eastern descent, I would guess they could be included as Asian American. There does not appear to be any sort of official census category for people identifying as Arab, Persian, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%2...ates_Census%29

I think it is just too confusing. Plus there are just so many people that don't fit into this setup. I guess if you are multiracial you are out. What about Native Americans?
#72 of 107 Old 08-26-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
I don't have anything new to add that hasn't already been said, but just had to sub since I'm a huge survivor fan and just heard the news about it starting again soon and the tribes being divided according to race. I was pretty surprised to hear it, and don't think it sounds like a very appealing idea. BUT, I agree that the initial divisions don't usually last long and I'm sure they will be mixed up within the first couple shows. !

Also, the people who are playing the game know it's divided by race...and if they're still playing, then they must not be too bothered by it (or the possible million), so............it's just a game.
#73 of 107 Old 08-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4magpies
Also, the people who are playing the game know it's divided by race...and if they're still playing, then they must not be too bothered by it (or the possible million), so............it's just a game.
I guess I must humbly disagree here too. Media influences so much of our lives. Look at the magazine racks when you check out at the grocery store...what do you see, lots of "beautiful" women with unattainable skin, bodies, etc (thanks to airbrushing). But this media influences our young children and teens suggesting that these are attainable. It's unrealistic and yet for some it's the proverbial carrot being dangled. It's dangerous and extremely damaging to not only our youth but our society at large. I don't think it's ever just a game, media just is not that innocent or innocuous.

I guess again, I am saddened that it is so hard for us to see the impact this media could have. I don't think it really matters that it will be divided for a short time. It will have a powerful impact.

When I was in undergrad I took an "African American History from XXXX (can't remember the year) to the civil war" class (quotes to denote the actual title of the class). The beginning of class the teacher had people of color/african american...other races sit in the back, then the white/caucasian in the front. She then went on to divide by religion - She then proceeded to lecture without explanation for 1/2 an hour. Then she explained. That was a really long 30 minutes and almost 20 years later a very impactful memory. Just because something lasts for a short time does not make it less memorable or impactful. And what comes after does not erase the memory.

I don't know what this season will bring. But it could bring the opportunity to discuss and learn and grow from where we are now to a more enlightened place. yes, it's only tv...but so many of our life experiences are just x,y, or z. It's what we make of it, how we apply our intelligence and thought that makes it meaningful.
#74 of 107 Old 08-26-2006, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armonia
Maybe random drawing of teams, maybe teams mixed with members of all races, maybe men and women of all ages and colors picked at random, list could go on and on. Just not based on race only.
BUt those seemingly "random" groups that Survivor has had in the past are not random at all! I'm pretty sure hours and hours of debate go on with the producers to decide which grouping will bring the best entertainment.

Which is exactly what they've decided to do this time.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#75 of 107 Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
I guess I must humbly disagree here too. Media influences so much of our lives. Look at the magazine racks when you check out at the grocery store...what do you see, lots of "beautiful" women with unattainable skin, bodies, etc (thanks to airbrushing). But this media influences our young children and teens suggesting that these are attainable. It's unrealistic and yet for some it's the proverbial carrot being dangled. It's dangerous and extremely damaging to not only our youth but our society at large. I don't think it's ever just a game, media just is not that innocent or innocuous.

I guess again, I am saddened that it is so hard for us to see the impact this media could have. I don't think it really matters that it will be divided for a short time. It will have a powerful impact.

When I was in undergrad I took an "African American History from XXXX (can't remember the year) to the civil war" class (quotes to denote the actual title of the class). The beginning of class the teacher had people of color/african american...other races sit in the back, then the white/caucasian in the front. She then went on to divide by religion - She then proceeded to lecture without explanation for 1/2 an hour. Then she explained. That was a really long 30 minutes and almost 20 years later a very impactful memory. Just because something lasts for a short time does not make it memorable or impactful. And what comes after does not erase the memory.

I don't know what this season will bring. But it could bring the opportunity to discuss and learn and grow from where we are now to a more enlightened place. yes, it's only tv...but so many of our life experiences are just x,y, or z. It's what we make of it, how we apply our intelligence and thought that makes it meaningful.
:

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#76 of 107 Old 08-26-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Can you articulate for me what would be a good basis on which to divide teams?
I understand the need for a gimick. What about regional- Southern, West coast, Mid-atlantic & Northeast, and the midwest. Yes, there are stereotypes & other issues there, but not the same history as with racial segregation.

In past "getting to know you" type games we would divide up according to favorite color, food, whatever, but that wouldn't really make for interesting television viewing.
#77 of 107 Old 08-26-2006, 11:22 PM

There were photos of the contestants in the new EW. I found some more on their site.
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/index.html#a0012388984

As I mentioned before, my family is white & Hispanic so I'm not judging any individual's "authenticity" but I do find it interesting how incredibly light skinned the Hispanic group is. Also, the Asian group does not seem to include any Indians, Pakistanis, etc.
#78 of 107 Old 08-27-2006, 11:57 AM
lab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoisPower
Talk about inflammatory and just plain wrong. These producers are always looking for a gimmick, but this is tantamount to having cranio-rectal inversion.

:

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#79 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
IMO:
The only persons who are making a HUGE deal about the teams being split by race are the persons who have their own race issues.
Well I have some huge issues with the racial divide already in place in this country. Now CBS is saying it's acceptable to the degree they are implementing segregation on their highest rated show, and making different ethnicities compete against one another.
#80 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 PM

#81 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM

#82 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
Well I have some huge issues with the racial divide already in place in this country. Now CBS is saying it's acceptable to the degree they are implementing segregation on their highest rated show, and making different ethnicities compete against one another.
I just do not get it though... why is it that there being team agains team is such a big deal.. who gives a flying crap as to who is on the team..

WHY IS EVERONE MAKING A DEAL about it being blacks against whites against hispanics against asians???

WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS.. its not a BLACK against a WHITE against a HISPANIC against a ASIAN..

It just happens to be HUMANS AGAINST HUMANS.. why is that so freaking hard for everyone to grasp. Who gives a crap what your ethnic background is.

I feel that the people who are making a huge deal about this are the ones who cannot look past the color or ethnic background of the OTHER HUMANS that are part of this game/show/whatever you want to call it.

Its not like its a freaking game to see who can shoot out of a car into a house window the fastest, and be the best shot.

Its not a game to see who can eat the most buritos the fastest and not puke.

Its not a game to see who can ........ oh what ever.. if it were games similar to the above then I can see where ppl could be pissed off about it.

You getting what I am saying??

I just do not get why we all cannot just freaking get along.. WHO CARES WHAT TEAM IS AGAINST WHAT TEAM.!
*by using the word *YOU* that is not directed to the poster of the quote, but everyone in general.
#83 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 09:06 PM

Tummy. if you have no problem with segregation and racism then I couldn't even begin to explain it to you.
#84 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 PM

I am very conflicted about this season. I think it could be a Very Bad Thing. But I also think that the explanation I heard on a commercial is a very interesting premise, designed to challenge our prejudices.

They said something along the lines of everyone being judged by something, money, class, race etc. That in previous years any minority contestants were first and foremost identified as "the black guy" or "the Hispanic woman". That by seperating the teams they're removing that labelling within that team, and the athletic Asian vs the (stereotypical) "nerdy" Asian, vs the "hot" Asian will all be able to show that they shouldn't just be labelled as Asian and lumped all together. That by putting all one race together you're actually removing the race card within that team so that their other differences / similarities can show through.

I can kind of understand what they're saying here. I will be watching to see how it is handled, but I remain skeptical and uncomfortable by the idea. You can bet that I'll change channels immediately if I don't like the way things are heading.
#85 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
Tummy. if you have no problem with segregation and racism then I couldn't even begin to explain it to you.
Thats just it.. I do NOT have a problem with racisim.
I am not a racist, never have been, and do not plan to become one now.

For all of you who are pissed off about this show and how they have chosen to do it this season.. to me that is racist.

I did not say that I have a problem with segregation.

Everyone else seems to have a problem with it.

I have not asked for anyone to begin to explain anything to me. But if I do need to be explained to I will be sure not to come to you for it.. .thanks
#86 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 10:05 PM

: what is this world comming to?
#87 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Thats just it.. I do NOT have a problem with racisim.
I am not a racist, never have been, and do not plan to become one now.
Your next statement seems pretty clear.

Quote:
I did not say that I have a problem with segregation.

Everyone else seems to have a problem with it.
Glad you don't have a problem with segregation but you can somehow work that out in your head to not make you racist.

Quote:
I have not asked for anyone to begin to explain anything to me.
Um, yeah you did. In all caps as a matter of fact.
Quote:
WHY IS EVERONE MAKING A DEAL about it being blacks against whites against hispanics against asians???
#88 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 10:45 PM

Keep it civil and mindful of the UA or this thread will get locked.
#89 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
artgoddess wrote: making different ethnicities compete against one another
Nobody is making anyone do anything. The contestants who are on the show desperately wanted to be on the show! They are thrilled to be on it. If they don't have a problem with it, why should I?

Unless someone is making you watch it, why worry?
#90 of 107 Old 08-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Nobody is making anyone do anything. The contestants who are on the show desperately wanted to be on the show! They are thrilled to be on it. If they don't have a problem with it, why should I?
From what I have seen of Survivor in the past, I am not at all convinced that these people will have any prior knowledge of the racial division until the game already begins. In fact I expect it to come as a surprise to the contestants the first day as well.

Quote:
Unless someone is making you watch it, why worry?
There are many things on television I don't like that I simply choose not to watch. However, racism is something that by ignoring it can only hurt us all. The idea of racism being promoted (created even)on one the highest rated shows on television is repulsive.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page