Survivor comes back - with a fury!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why does being a racist have to do with someone who is ok with segeration?
People of ALL racial backgrounds have there little parts of town in almost any major city! I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit and we have "Mexican Village", "Greek Town", Hamtramck "Polish Town" (used to be, now becoming more Muslim, and the Polish not to happy about that!). I can go on.
I grew up in a mostly Reform-Jewish/Orthodox-Jewish neighborhood. We were "Jew Town". I had no problem with that. I like the segeration of my town, and towns around me.
I, can get, that being racist and liking segeration are two TOTALLY different things! One, is being against someone for there race/color. The other is feeling at home with your own kind.
And this year on Survivor I think it will open eyes of races that are playing on the same teams. As in you can be Black and not be a good dancer/basketball player/thug. Asian and not be a wiz in math/computer geek. White and not be a racist/redneck/blue collar worker.
Get the idea? Hope so!
Sorry, I forgot Hispanic. Hoping you really don't need a viewing of stereotypes for: that one also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 11:12 PM

wrong thread. ops
Old 08-31-2006, 12:14 AM

Old 08-31-2006, 12:20 AM

Old 08-31-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
And this year on Survivor I think it will open eyes of races that are playing on the same teams. As in you can be Black and not be a good dancer/basketball player/thug. Asian and not be a wiz in math/computer geek. White and not be a racist/redneck/blue collar worker.
Those stereotypes could easily be destroyed by adding more POC to the cast without segregation.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:27 AM

Old 08-31-2006, 12:29 AM

Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice
OK, I read about this earlier today, in addition to not liking the concept to begin with I don't like the way they are organizing it.Hispanic is NOT a race!
At first this was my beef too- but if you look all of the official network releases do not say they are being seperated by race but by ETHNICITY- imnsho- hispanic is an ethnic group.
And in case anyone is wondering I'll be watching- A. HUGE survivor fan, and B. Fascinated about race relations in this country.
(Oh and if you care I'll be rooting for thr Hispanic team!)

Punk, hippy, mama to 4 amazing kiddos, Boy#1 (18), TheGirl (13), Boy#2 (11- PBD) and Boy#3 (6)
Old 08-31-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbeans
Supporting segregation is a component of racism. Your example of the Polish neighbourhood and their reaction to Muslims moving in is a perfect example of how segregation and racism go hand-in-hand.
I don't think that they are being racist at all! Segerated yes, by chioce. They want there place to be theirs and not have people come in and change things.(which they have)
Self segeration of towns? Hum? When you move (to a new town, city, home) isn't the first thing you look for in a place, people that are are most like you, your family, your beliefs? I know I do. Lots of people don't like to go out of their comfort zone. I don't see how that is racist. But it's self-segeration. I live in a very closed minded area now. If I could show, by grouping different races together, that the stereotypes are not always true with in our own, I would love to. Here it is (most of towns view)... Hispanics, are the pickers that come to town in the planting & harvest time. Blacks are the trouble makers and thugs we don't want our kids to be around, they need to be in the next city over. Asians, I really can't day much about them from the areas point of view I haven't see many here in the 2 years I have lived here. White, well that is basicly what lives around these parts, but to fit in you need to be in the Christian groups in the town or a "good church goer". (I fall in to none of these categories, I am the outsider looking in).Mind you these are NOT my views, but how I see the town I live in.
Before we try and get passed the black/white/asian/hispanic/insert race group here, we need to get passed our own racisms in our own groups.
I.E. your to dark, nose to wide, hair to nappy, skin to light, to tall, to short, fat, skinny, and on & on. Let see if this show sheds any light on this part of racism.
Life is not PC, nor should it be.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:14 AM

Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
Your next statement seems pretty clear.
Glad you don't have a problem with segregation but you can somehow work that out in your head to not make you racist.
Um, yeah you did. In all caps as a matter of fact.
Artgoddess,
I do not have the energy to get into a pissing match with you about this.

I have my opinions, you have yours... good enough for me.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
Keep it civil and mindful of the UA or this thread will get locked.

I think I am done with this thread anyway.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Like I just said in a previous post -- segregation is a part of racism. It's one of the ways that racism can thrive. I'm not sure how a person could be for one and against the other. Not saying that everyone who is okay with segregation is a racist. I don't think that at all. But being okay with segregation = being okay with a tool of racism.

Also, I am completely confused how not being okay with the show's plan this season is racist.
Ok, so I am not yet done with this thread...

I am not for one and against another. I never said that I was 'for' segregation.. just that it is not a problem with me. I do not live my life segregated from others. I live in South Florida for crying out loud.

Perhaps you all have taken my words of "not having a problem with segregation' to mean that I agree with it and that I believe it should be... that is not what I ment, I do not AGREE with it, but I do not have "problems in my life with it"

Now I am done.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
You say these are not your opinions but they are the views of "most of towns," and those views all stem from racism. (Bold mine.) What you describe with that statement is racism in a very basic form. The people you're talking about are basically saying, "We don't know the people and we don't want to know them and they should go live somewhere else." That's segregation (or the desire for) directly related to racism.

No, life isn't PC, but it should would be nice if more people were sensitive, compassionate, open-minded and respectful.
ITA, lotusbeans, ITA.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:13 AM

ITA? Sorry, not sure what it means.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Old 09-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
No pissing matches for anyone please. Your kind moderator issued a closure warning for this thread and still the posting is personally pointed. We shall close this now before things get worse. Enjoy your weekend mamas.

User Tag List