Survivor comes back - with a fury!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
September 14th Survivor comes back; the 16 cast members will be divided along racial lines: white, black, Hispanic and Asian.

Controversy, anyone?:

What do you think?

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#2 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 08:32 PM

i think this is a horrible idea.
i see how they are spinning it, but honestly, i'd rather NOT see more division on tv. i probably won't watch, but i haven't watched the last couple of survivors anyway. the last one i watched was the pirate one with rupert!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#3 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 08:38 PM

Talk about inflammatory and just plain wrong. These producers are always looking for a gimmick, but this is tantamount to having cranio-rectal inversion.
#4 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 08:48 PM

While I dont think I like the teams by ethnicity thing, I am glad they are putting more people of color on the show. Frankly, I was soooooo tired of their one token woman of color, one token man of color, one homosexual either male or female, a couple older people, a couple younger people formula.
#5 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 08:57 PM

Thats just plain weird, I don't understand why they would want to do something like that?
#6 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 09:37 PM

Ratings, it's only for ratings. Not to mention fuel for the trolls....
#7 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama
While I dont think I like the teams by ethnicity thing, I am glad they are putting more people of color on the show. Frankly, I was soooooo tired of their one token woman of color, one token man of color, one homosexual either male or female, a couple older people, a couple younger people formula.
I agree with that. I used to watch their show and loved it, but it was mostly white people. And I would think there's no blacks, asians or other races that aren't applying? Yeah, right. And it's always the young, white, thin as a rail type of women. Come on, there's more out there than that. I haven't watched it in a while, but I might just watch this season.

I'm a single, self-employed, homeschooling mom of 2 great kids. Girl 9/95 and Boy 3/99.
#8 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 AM
rn

here is a quick article I just read on it. One thing that I have to agree on is just what some of you said and what Jeff said in it... Survivor has not been ethnically diverse enough. I also like how he called it a social experiment. They have to do something to mix it up. And of course its all about ratings, what else is there really? should they make a show that will not get the ratings so they get cancelled and will be out of a job?

I could care less either way, as long as it makes something interesting to watch on TV.

anyway here is what I just read.

Quote:
New 'Survivor' Divides Groups by Race
In this undated photo released by CBS, 20 new castaways who will compete when "Survivor: Cook Islands" premiers on Thursday, Sept. MONTY BRINTON
From Associated Press
August 24, 2006 4:26 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES - Get ready for a segregated "Survivor." Race will matter on the upcoming season of the CBS show as contestants will be divided into four tribes by ethnicity. That means blacks, whites, Latinos and Asians in separate groups.

The announcement was made on CBS' Early Show. Host Jeff Probst says the idea "actually came from the criticism that 'Survivor' was not ethnically diverse enough." He says the twist fits in perfectly with what "Survivor" does, saying the show is "a social experiment. And this is adding another layer to that experiment." Probst says contestants had mixed reactions to the racial divisions.

This time the new Survivors are stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific. The castaways include a police officer, a heavy metal guitarist, an attorney and a nail salon manager. The new season of Survivor debuts September 14th.
#9 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama

and I agree that it's just an attempt to create more drama. Maybe the contestants will rise above the set up?
#10 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 AM

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/tv...00010000000001

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#11 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 08:47 AM

Sounds good to me! I'm a huge survivor fan.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 AM

I don't like this idea. I think they should obviously be more diverse about their cast choices, but I do not think the teams should be divided by race. How about just simply put one person of each race on each team? Show them working together instead of against each other.
#13 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 AM

It is a gimic....but I don't like it because it could become one race pitted against another.
#14 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM

Why is this any different than dividing them by age or sex?
#15 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a bad feeling about this.
#16 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 AM

Moving to Television

Not all those who wander are lost 
#17 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
:
#18 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 AM

It is different because it is by race. Just not a good thing to do imo.

I don't think to divide by sex or age is a good idea either, but to divide by race is worse. Reason is obvious without going into a long discussion.

Next season should it be all one race, all one sex, all around the same age on each team. Or black men against black women, or white older ladies against black younger men. Just not good.
#19 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wende
:
I don't see what the big deal is. In everyday society races seperate themself all ready. It doesn't matter what race you are. People (for the most part) stay with what they are comfortable with. I think it will make for a interesting season of the show.
#20 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a yucky feeling about this. In some utopian parallel universe it might be interesting but here I think it will just be ugly.
#21 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:21 PM

I don't like divisions like this at all. Be it race, gender, sexual preference, or age. It seems that the main purpose is to say "this group" is better/smarter/more advanced/stronger than "this group." And if a
#22 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3inMI
: In everyday society races seperate themself all ready. It doesn't matter what race you are. People (for the most part) stay with what they are comfortable with. I think it will make for a interesting season of the show.
I don't get this at all. People stay with what they are comfortable with? huh?
#23 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:29 PM

I think the idea of this show is as disturbing as the fact that so many people here don't see a problem. We still have so far to go, there's still so much healing and so much ignorance.
#24 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
I don't like divisions like this at all. Be it race, gender, sexual preference, or age. It seems that the main purpose is to say "this group" is better/smarter/more advanced/stronger than "this group." And if a
I think you're right on there. I know when they divide by gender I'm totally rooting for the women! I want to prove that we just as good...and that battle should be over, but it ain't.

Missy we cross posted...I agree. I do think it's a bad idea. I wonder what it will show about where we are at as a nation in regard to racism, sexism, etc.
#25 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 PM

If the thread seems a little funky I merged the two survivor threads into one to keep it easier to follow.
#26 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:48 PM

Well I am on weaker side. I can see their point. Not saying I think its right or worng but Jeff Probst did give a detailed explanation of why they thought this way. I can't remember it word for word but some of his argumentatives were that Survivor was getting a lot of slack because only two winners have been non-white. They really wanted to try to gradually increase the minorities but not a lot of minorities were auditioning to be on the show. This way they give everyone equal playing field. And in all honesty they just start the game segregated. In about a week they are already merging and trading tribe mates so it isn't permanent. I don't think a lot of people here really watch Survivor but I could be wrong. Tribes get switched around very often. I think they are just starting it this way to see if they all think alike, strategies as far as getting established, and seeing if one group really struggles. Last season they divided the groups into 4 tribes and it was never an issue and the year before that they were split into men vs. women. Again I am really on the fence is they should take it this far but I think 3 or 4 episodes down the line you won't even remember and there will be a much more divrsified group battling it out.
#27 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:49 PM

I agree that it is just a gimmick for ratings. However, I think it is an interesting idea and could possibly yield some useful information for sociological research, among other things. This society has a very difficult time talking about race; I believe any opportunities to bring racial themes into the societal dialog will be beneficial. Anyone who pins their racial identity and its capabilities or potential on the performance of a team on a television show could use a reality check, IMO.

I wonder what racial stereotypes might be reinforced, or contradicted in the course of this series? I guess I'm an eternal optimist but I'd like to hope that people who watch with any degree of hostility or resentment toward any racial or ethnic group may have their minds broadened ...
#28 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 12:54 PM

We have not come far enough for this to serve any useful purpose.
#29 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
And in all honesty they just start the game segregated. In about a week they are already merging and trading tribe mates so it isn't permanent.
This is what I was thinking would happen. They often start the game with tribes divided by commonalities and then they all mix together within one or two episodes, sometimes the first episode. Although, I will admit I absolutely root for the women when they are separated by gender.
#30 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 01:33 PM

I wasn't saying that I think it's ok...though I do think it's an interesting idea...I just meant that there was never an uproar when tribes were seperated based on age or sex so why the uproar about this? Why is THIS worth it but not the other issues? It's ok to segregate based on sex still, based on age still, but the race issue is just too big?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page