Gilmore Girls 06/07 season - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 771 Old 09-30-2006, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilushka View Post
She is totally a bad actress, esp compared to Lauren who really should be more famous than she is.
I wish Lauren would pick better movies to do..She is such a fantastic actress. But movies like Bad Santa are NOT going to make her a star!!! I'm hoping she'll do more movies when GG is done. She's also going to be on Studio 60 either Monday or a week from Monday I believe. I think it might be a two part deal.

I don't think Alexis Bledel is a bad actress. I think she played a better teenager than she does a 20-something. She doesn't have much emotionally maturity yet. But I think it just takes time. GG was her first gig and actually her first audition ever. I did like her in the Sister of the Traveling Pants though!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#182 of 771 Old 10-01-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
I don't think Alexis Bledel is a bad actress. I think she played a better teenager than she does a 20-something. She doesn't have much emotionally maturity yet. But I think it just takes time. GG was her first gig and actually her first audition ever. I did like her in the Sister of the Traveling Pants though!
I really thought she was getting better recently...still bad though.

Did you see her in Sin City? She could not keep a southern accent, and reverted to Rory very quickly. I wondered how many times they tried it (and it was worse) if they kept that awful section in there.
#183 of 771 Old 10-01-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandavery View Post
My other issue is that Lorelai really did not appear to be grieving over the relationship as I would expect she would. I know that she said that it hurts too much to be in the relationship because of all the rejection and him not fighting for her, but she seems to be going through the breakup too easily. I do not expect the same act as the last time they broke up, but I thought it was strange how she did not even want to be with him when he arrived and asked her to elope. He did not fight for her that night, but he came to her the next day desperate to keep her in his life. I can definitely understand her perspective of not wanting to be involved in something that hurts so much, but on the other hand she was willing to have the relationship mended by an elopement the night before. Once she told him about Christopher I am sure things would have worked out the same, but this time it was her fault that they could not work out. She seemed to put it all on Luke because of his bad reaction, but she made an even worse one.

I look forward to discussing all the upcoming episodes.
I can understand her not falling apart. Luke has been a total jerk to her for about a year. He's been lying and hiding things and refusing to include her in his life. Like she said, that hurts. So maybe she's sad but it is a relief. Being with someone like that has got to eat away at you slowly, it must be such a burden. So to finally be free of the constant walking on eggshells and feeling like she's not good enough is probably lightening the sadness.

I should not have read that spoiler b/c now I'm disgusted along with the rest of you who read it It sucks.

Luke has been such a jerk but Chris just seemed weak. He was ready to jump back into a relationship with her, why? Because he always goes along with what is easiest? He's annoying the heck out of me along with Rory and Lorelei.

Has anyone noticed that Rory's voice has gotten lighter as she's aged? WTH is that? She is obviously making herself speak in that annoying cutsie voice (and that means a lot coming from me as I'm a cutsie kind of girl).

I just hope that Lorelei doesn't turn around and beg for forgiveness next week. She shouldn't have done it but I don't want to see her grovel anymore.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#184 of 771 Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
I can understand her not falling apart. Luke has been a total jerk to her for about a year. He's been lying and hiding things and refusing to include her in his life. Like she said, that hurts. So maybe she's sad but it is a relief. Being with someone like that has got to eat away at you slowly, it must be such a burden. So to finally be free of the constant walking on eggshells and feeling like she's not good enough is probably lightening the sadness.
I watched the episode again, and I have a different perspective on her grieving (from the first time I posted). I think it is true that she has grieved so much for so long that this is a relief. She knows exactly how it hurts, and she can take ownership of it. For so long she has been just going along with Luke and the rules, quietly complying. This is her decision, and I think she knew it was coming.

It seems that she slept with Christopher as a strategic maneuver to guarantee that her relationship with Luke would be over. She said to Suki that she needed to be over, and I think she knew that if she slept with Christopher that it would be. She did not say that last part, but she said that when she told Suki about her night with Christopher.

I was so raw emotionally the first time that I just wanted to see them get back together. I do think they are good for each other, but certainly not under the rules of the last year.

Regardless I am not looking forward to the Christopher story line. I do not think it is plausible that Lorelai would even date him so soon after her breakup.
#185 of 771 Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM

OMG - tonights was sooooo goood and yet my heart aches for Lorelai.

A few new catchphrases though... Loinfruit? Love rocket?
#186 of 771 Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM

I have not taken in tonight's episode completely. It was another very emotional experience for me.

Next week's preview makes me livid. Uhhhh.
#187 of 771 Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 PM

I forgot to say in my last post that I thought it was so annoying that Lane was talking about bottlefeeding. I hate that Rory said she had 9 months to learn all about bottles. If the writer did not want to talk about breastfeeding he could have used another anology about her insecurities.
#188 of 771 Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 PM

Okay, for me, tonight's ending is the first real, reasonable thing that has happened between L&L for a while. I can see them not getting back together, and I can see myself being okay with that, especially if they can try to resume their old, fun friendship, as Luke alluded to.

A clue to where I am coming from is that I don't get all the ranting about fictional characters, as though they are real people. I don't ever feel angry/upset/disappointed with the characters in shows I watch, books I read, etc. I feel disappointed when the writers/actors do things I don't like with the characters. I know that it is impossible to recreate what a real person would do in real life on a fictional TV show or in a book--real people are so complicated, and no one can completely understand any single person's background, motivations, etc., except maybe that person, after a *lot* of introspection and help from others.

Anyway, I do love GG, and I hope this is a sign that it will be getting back to some kind of normal. I want the show to have internal integrity--to be true to its (her)story.
#189 of 771 Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandavery View Post
I forgot to say in my last post that I thought it was so annoying that Lane was talking about bottlefeeding. I hate that Rory said she had 9 months to learn all about bottles. If the writer did not want to talk about breastfeeding he could have used another anology about her insecurities.
I didn't like that dialogue either. :

I suppose AS-P and her husband may have been more pro-breastfeeding. (After all, they had Lorelai talk about breastfeeding Rory.) Now what's-his-name is at the head of the writing team, and maybe he isn't. :
#190 of 771 Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 PM

Okay, I don't think we should be bashing anyone for talking about a bottle. I know bottles suck and I EBF'd both my kids. But Lane is very young, naive and newly married and shocked out of her mind about even being pregnant. She doesn't know anything about babies! So I didn't get offended much about that..

I really liked tonight's episode. I think Rory's words shocked Lor into reality. You *DO* go home, watch a movie and eat ice cream when you're heartbroken. You don't run to your ex to sleep with them 5 seconds after you and your fiance broke up. I think Lorelai needs to grow UP!!! I'm hoping this is the season she'll do that.

I like that she and Luke parted on somewhat friendly terms after they saw each other at the grocery store. But I think it's going to be naive to think that they'll ever be buddy buddy again like they were. There is too much between and behind them for that. It's just not going to work and I think it's silly to think it would..

I love that they're giving lots of Luke air time even when he's not with Lorelai. I think he's got a big journey to go on this year and I'm glad he won't just be cut out of the picture.

As for getting emotionally involved with the characters. I passed that stage long long ago. I guess it comes from being attached to the show for so many years but I do take much of what they do and don't do to heart. This show has touched me deep down and I will forever refuse to believe there is not a place called Star's Hollow!! :

As for next week..Bleh..I don't like Christopher!! Go away!!!! He's the concilation prize and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: This episode gave me hope for the new season. That there is still depth there and it won't be such a freaking soap opera and that the L and L thing could still happen...

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#191 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 AM

Wow- I went from being angry at Luke (for ignoring Lorelei) to hateing Luke (for being such an a-hole in the street) to feeling sorry for Luke (at his expression at Liz's house) to liking Luke again (at the grocery store) all in about 30 minutes. I was emotional exhausted at 9:00 pm.

Okay, I totally get that Rory was upset with her mom and all but the way she spoke to her was very very rude. Especially after all the work that Lorelei put into cheering up Rory with the whole Asian extravaganza stuff. And who is she is talk about doing things in the heat of the moment- she stole a yacht and got arrested when she was upset about something. I doin't know- but that whole scene really made me start to dislike her agin (the same way I felt towards her after her whole rant against Lorelei when she protested Rory dropping out of Yale "well, you didn't go to college..." just thinking about that make my blood boil).

I am actually looking forward to how the Christopher/Lorelei relationship plays out. I was sssooo pulling for them when they got back together before Suki's wedding. I am still sad about the end of the Luke/Lorelei relationship but I thin that somehow they might just find their way back to each other again.

Lane is pregnant- totally called that one even before the spoilers. And the way she was talking about sex was so funny! The bottle thing didn't bother me as much as it could have- yes, she should bf and yes it would be nice if they has mentioned it as the norm- but with the lack of baby experience that both Lane and Rory have (and given the kind of bottle feeding culture that we live in for the most part) I think it was natural that they talked about bottle feeding.
#192 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

This is the first episopde in more than a year that I truly can say that I loved!

Back were the silly private jokes (Loni Fruit)! The dialoue was super funny! Hijinks insuded in Stars Hallow (go Kirk!)! The only thing possibly missing were the wandering minstrels.

SO funny!!
#193 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Okay, I don't think we should be bashing anyone for talking about a bottle. I know bottles suck and I EBF'd both my kids. But Lane is very young, naive and newly married and shocked out of her mind about even being pregnant. She doesn't know anything about babies! So I didn't get offended much about that..
I definitely was not bashing Lane about the bottle-feeding just annoyed that the writer made it the norm. There was not even a question that she would bottle-feed just how to do it properly. This just perpetuates that formula feeding is just as good or better myth, or what everyone is doing. I have no problems with formula feeders, but I feel better when the decision to come from knowledge not ignorance...dykwim? GG does have a young audience, and it would be nice if it was pro-breastfeeding.

I agree that this episode had some depth, and I liked that. I am still having a hard time with how she is reacting to the breakup. (I should say that I am consumed by these characters like they are real life people.) I just cannot understand how she was so calm in the first episode over the whole breakup. Then in the second episode she says that telling Luke that she was not going to elope with him was the hardest thing she ever had to do, and this is after she said last season that Luke was the only man she has ever loved. I just wonder how she would not be consumed with grief and regret. If I picture myself in that situation and Luke showed up ready to elope, and I turned him away, even if it was for the best I would still be an emotional mess. I know she is not me, but would anyone else stand there sad but calm. He was begging her in desperation to go away with him, and she was just too calm about it. I feel like that would be her asking Luke to elope the night before and he responds by calmly saying no not now. I know that was last week, but it is still bothering me.

Luke broke my heart last night. When Liz was saying how they had been living separate lives for a while, and his face… It upset me that he did not take any responsibility for the relationship dissolving. I know it was a defense mechanism to think that they were both just “too different for each other”, but they both participated in a complete lack of communication that led to that place. I think it was strange that in all that time she did not tell Luke how terrible she was feeling about their arrangement. She should have explained her position, so that he understood what was happening. I was definitely upset with Luke last season, but I understood where he was coming from. He was not maliciously cutting Lorelai out. He was just consumed and oblivious. She was hurting, and I think she let their arrangement go on too long.

Did anyone else think that the dialogue between Rory and Lorelai, in the scene that Rory finds out Lorelai slept with Christopher, was very familiar. I am going to have to look through some old scenes, but it was so familiar to me. I thought Rory’s anger was justified. It seems that she would be angry that Lorelai screwed up her relationship with Luke though. Luke has been the step-dad for years. He came to her birthdays and graduations. Christopher was rarely there. I would think she would be upset about the role Luke has in her life now.
#194 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 AM

About the Rory anger thing....
I think that it was more than just the stuff with her mom. It's exactly the same thing that happened with her and Logan. So her emotion ran deeper than being just about her mom. And part of her anger may still have been about the way she felt when she found out about Logan and the bridesmaids.

I thought Liz was great last night.

Luke...ah man. I agree with the post that said, you liked him, then you hated him, then you felt for him, etc. etc.

Lorelei...
I think that she did really have emotion over the break up in the first episode. She had been angry and upset for months...living in the dream that things would get better. She finally did something to free herself and that's what the character portrayed. In last night's episode, it was starting to sink in a little more, become the new reality and I think it was normal that it would take a bit of time to lose the anger and hurt and move into sadness over the loss.

Last night was definitely better than the season premier.

My station cut off the preview for next week. Anyone want to fill me in?
#195 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChatsAlot View Post
Lorelei...
I think that she did really have emotion over the break up in the first episode. She had been angry and upset for months...living in the dream that things would get better. She finally did something to free herself and that's what the character portrayed. In last night's episode, it was starting to sink in a little more, become the new reality and I think it was normal that it would take a bit of time to lose the anger and hurt and move into sadness over the loss.

Last night was definitely better than the season premier.

My station cut off the preview for next week. Anyone want to fill me in?

I agree about Lorelei- I think she was just in shock during last weeks episode. I mena, she had this vacant look in her eyes the whole time, imo- just like her mid was elsewhere. I think that she was just coming to grips with the end of something that was really good and felt really right.

I know in the previews for next week Chrsitopher tells Lorelei that he loves her but I can't remember the rest of it except maybe there was some Christopher/Lorelei kissing.
#196 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 AM

Lorelai did have the vacant look and very tired looking eyes these last few episodes, but I guess I was looking for more...like not telling Suki about her admission to Luke while they are making sushi jokes.
#197 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
About the Rory anger thing....
I think that it was more than just the stuff with her mom. It's exactly the same thing that happened with her and Logan. So her emotion ran deeper than being just about her mom. And part of her anger may still have been about the way she felt when she found out about Logan and the bridesmaids.
Oooh! Sooo true! Hadnt thought of that......
#198 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 AM

I loved the redhots being like the wasabi for the dessert sushi. And the Lane/ Rory babies of celebrities dialogue.
#199 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 AM

If they can keep the quality of last night's episode up, I might actually watch this season. I was in serious doubt after last season.

I was jarred by the bottle talk between Lane and Rory, but I always am, and you know Mrs. Kim bottlefed. We should send a little note about how Lane should BF, it would be great conflict with her mother. Can't you just see Mrs. Kim running around trying to throw blankets on Lane everywhere she goes.

I totally agree about the range of Luke emtions. Very well done.

Does anyone know if Scott Patterson was in doubt for this season? Still looking for a logical reason to break up Luke and Lorelei.
#200 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 12:06 PM

Drama..Drama is the reason they broke up L and L..The writers don't seem to be creative enough to make a L/L interesting unless they're constantly breaking up and getting back together so they keep doing that and making it more of a soap opera..Bleh..

I think the Lane stuff was totally normal..She doesn't know anything about babies..Of course she'd think bottles were the norm..I was 24 when I had DS and when they told me I needed to supplement because he was almost 10 lbs and he was probably really hungry I believed them because I was young, inexperienced and didn't know better..I continued to bf for almost a year but I didn't know babies didn't needed to be supplemented..I think it just goes with being young and uniformed unfortunately. But I would love to see them have Lane BF..We should write them!!

As for Rory being mad..I think she was a bit justified in what she said. Lorelai doesn't think sometimes. Rory was right, you eat ice cream and feel sorry for yourself when you get your heartbroken. You don't go sleeping with someone 5 seconds after you break up with your fiance. Lorelai's actions did have consequences beyond herself. If she and Chris weren't about to start dating her sleeping with Chris could have really hurt Chris and Rory's relationship, you know. Lorelai can be very emotionally immature..

#201 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Drama..Drama is the reason they broke up L and L..The writers don't seem to be creative enough to make a L/L interesting unless they're constantly breaking up and getting back together so they keep doing that and making it more of a soap opera..Bleh..
I was just looking for something better. My actual theory is they shouldn't have gotten L/L together until the 11th hour in the first place. Most tv writer have no idea how to write a functioning relationship.
#202 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katebleu View Post
I was just looking for something better. My actual theory is they shouldn't have gotten L/L together until the 11th hour in the first place. Most tv writer have no idea how to write a functioning relationship.
How true is that..Writers just don't know how to write a happy relationship..It's really sad..I think the L/L thing could've been good given better writing..They had such awesome chemstiry then the writers got them together and it just fizzled!!! What a bummer!!

#203 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I was just annoyed that bottlefeeding is the norm. A person shouldn't have to be older and educated to know enough that babies are fed with breasts. The bottle feeding comments were more proof that our society (reflected by the writers) is very much saturated with the idea that bottles are a normal part of raising a child. If the writers thought ANY differently at all they wouldn't even go there, they would just use another example.

Quote:

I was jarred by the bottle talk between Lane and Rory, but I always am, and you know Mrs. Kim bottlefed. We should send a little note about how Lane should BF, it would be great conflict with her mother. Can't you just see Mrs. Kim running around trying to throw blankets on Lane everywhere she goes.
While I very much could see Mrs.Kim running around like you say I hesitate to say that we *know* she, as a character didn't bf. She is 7th day Adventist- they are like the most health-consious religion I know. I don't actually know what the real religion supports officially, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do support bf (and if they did- you *know* Mrs. Kim would vhemently bf). Maybe Mrs.Kim will be annoyed that Lane is feeding her baby not-so-healthy stuff. . .(if this were at all real)

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#204 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM

Is there a new director of GG too? Everyone's acting seems flat and dispassionate. It's like they aren't acting like the charactars, but shells of the former charactars. I'm not impressed with anything about this season. They all seem like their hearts aren't in it.
#205 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I would tend to disagree with this. I would think that Mrs Kim would have BF Lane, I mean she is SDA--which is very all natural and healthy. Also, she is Asian and I think more Asian women BF--at least in that generation (before the American culture influenced them not to--but that is a different forum). Like a pp said, it would be nice if Mrs Kim told Lane to BF and made a big deal out of it.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#206 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 10:03 PM

I have no idea if Mrs. Kim bf or not, but I can soooo see her running up trying to cover up Lane!
#207 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Is there a new director of GG too? Everyone's acting seems flat and dispassionate. It's like they aren't acting like the charactars, but shells of the former charactars. I'm not impressed with anything about this season. They all seem like their hearts aren't in it.
Yup - the Palladinos left - they created the show, were head writers and directors. Now the new guy is in charge.
#208 of 771 Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItyBty View Post
Yup - the Palladinos left - they created the show, were head writers and directors. Now the new guy is in charge.
IIRC, he was one of the writers before. I do hope the show improves soon. It's lost it's grove.
#209 of 771 Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItyBty View Post
I thought last night was MUCH better than the premiere..But I'm still ticked at the Palladino's for leaving..

#210 of 771 Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I thought last night was MUCH better than the premiere..But I'm still ticked at the Palladino's for leaving..
I agree. In this week's episode the characters seemed closer to how they were in the last seasons. I do think the show lost much of the rhythm that made it so great. The writing is just not the same, but how could it be?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page