What Not to Wear - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 41 Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I suspect that more gay men (than straight men) "get it" that breasts are for babies, not for men. I mean, THEY'RE not turned on by breasts!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 20, Hannah, 19, and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 08-27-2006, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I mean, THEY'RE not turned on by breasts!
*sniffs indignately* Well, I can't imagine any man, even a gay one, not being turned on by MY breasts. They're absolutely fabulous... Pale, saggy, veiny, and often engorged... who could refuse?

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#33 of 41 Old 08-27-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery
*sniffs indignately* Well, I can't imagine any man, even a gay one, not being turned on by MY breasts. They're absolutely fabulous... Pale, saggy, veiny, and often engorged... who could refuse?
OMG, :

I almost just ruined my dh's new flatscreen monitor spitting out my drink. Hah!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#34 of 41 Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama
ITA, I never meet men who care if a woman NIPs. So many of them think thats what breasts are for! Its always women who have so many opinions on it
This has not been my experience. When this came up at work years ago, it was a male coworker (can't think of him as a man, he was more of a silly overgrown boy in his early 20s) who started the complaining. I wish we'd had a BFiP law then. I was pregnant at the time so I only knew a little of what I was saying (ie you can't just pump and not bf or pump for several hours while you're out, would you eat your lunch in the restroom). Later I ran into his wife at the medical clinic where I took my daughter for well checks and I always wondered what her opinion was. I wondered if she went home and they complained together about the horrid women who have the audacity to breastfeed in a medical setting. (This was the clinic where a NP told me she couldn't do a breast exam postpartum if I was breastfeeding and looked at my breasts with the most horrified expression while telling me.)
#35 of 41 Old 08-27-2006, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me
A woman in my MOMS Club said that breastfeeding in public is like showing your vagina in public because breasts have been sexual since the beginning of time, her reasoning? Eve covered up her breasts after eating the forbidden fruit. :
And then she used formula?
#36 of 41 Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 PM

I had a gay man tell me (while I was NIP at church) that he had never appreciated breasts until he saw us nursing. His partner agreed.
#37 of 41 Old 08-28-2006, 03:56 AM

Quote:
A woman in my MOMS Club said that breastfeeding in public is like showing your vagina in public because breasts have been sexual since the beginning of time, her reasoning? Eve covered up her breasts after eating the forbidden fruit. :
I think she has been reading her picture book version of the bible. Pretty sure the actual text doesn't mention breasts specifically, only "nakedness." And that's just the translation. I have no idea what the original Hebrew says, and I'll bet neither does she. Herein lies the problem with using the bible as evidence to support a point. I'm not slagging anyone's faith, but you gotta admit that interpretation can be a little tricky sometimes.

And yeah. *God* is against NIP. He wants us to use plastic bottles to feed our children. The godly ancient Jews, they invented those bottles don't you know.

(Sorry, feeling deeply sarcastic tonight.)
#38 of 41 Old 08-28-2006, 05:33 AM

I agree, the bible has SO much room for interpretation. Even the "pain of childbirth" thing can be refuted, because the hebrew word "etzey" is translated in that section as "pain" or "sorrow" but in other places the same word is translated as "work" "toil" and "labour".

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#39 of 41 Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Clinton's most definitely gay ladies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton...personality%29
I was just going to say (having had several good friends who are gay) that just because a guy has a good idea for what to accentuate on a woman doesn't mean they're straight! I've found that often, BECAUSE they are gay, they seem to take more liberties with women in a flirty kinda way. Like Isaac Mizrahi(sp?) feeling up Scarlet Johanson at the Oscars. What straight man would have done that?

Besides, (religious issues aside) what's so wrong with being gay? Or, for that matter, assuming someone is gay? I know my gay friends would be more offended if you assumed they weren't gay. (And I have to say, they're pretty obvious! )

Forgive me if I'm reading more into things than I ought to be, but the way some of the PPs phrased their support of Clinton's possible straightness made it seem like they were giving him the benefit of the doubt, i.e. believing something good about someone, rather than something bad, when you have the possibility of doing either. It might be just as possible for him to be gay as straight based solely on how we interpret the tiny slice of his life we see on-screen, but a couple of people automatically assumed "straight" as if they were doing him some kind of favor.

It may have been completely unintentional, but I felt the need to draw attention to this since it puts a subtle negative connotation on being gay. My hope is that in saying something it may get people to think, and maybe get out of the straight=good, gay=bad mindset. It really could come off as offensive, and I think we have enough families here at MDC with two mommies or two daddies that we really should be mindful of the impact of our words.

Anyway, who really cares if he's gay or not? Clinton's nice and he makes a really good co-host for the show.

(Funny aside: One time my friend J and I were wrestling around, tickling each other mercilessly, and he suddenly stopped and shrieked, "Ewww! I touched your BOOB!!" acting all grossed out. And I about died laughing! I've never had anyone say that before (or since) then, and this was back before babies and nursing, so the girls were still firm and perky! After that I used to jokingly threaten to touch him with my icky girl-boobs that have the power to turn men straight with just a touch.)

Serendipity
#40 of 41 Old 08-28-2006, 11:05 AM

Clinton's gay? DARN! Oh, well. He can still be my TV boyfriend!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#41 of 41 Old 08-28-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Clinton's most definitely gay ladies:
Hmmm. Well, that's cool, and I do understand why they kind of gloss over it on the show (both for those who are wondering and keep watching trying to 'figure it out,' and for people who are uncomfortable with it).

I'm sorry if my post in any way sounded negative about homosexuality. I'm not. I've got a gay uncle and several very close friends who are gay -- and one of the things I've learned along the way is that the stereotypes are not always accurate. My closest gay friend is about the most macho/masculine/absolutely NOT the stereotype sort of guy .... I get really irritated when people assume that everyone in any group (man or woman, religious group, regional location or etc.) is "the same," KWIM? I've also got straight male friends who could be mistaken for "gay" because they are interested in art/literature, clean, dress well, etc. etc. etc. (pile on the stereotypes). And I think in the end sexual orientation is not my business unless someone wants to share it with me. At the same time, I had a resident in one of the halls I worked for at uni, who pretended to be hetero when she was obviously dating another resident, and was so cute when they'd go out on special dates - and it was hard not to grab her and say, "Hey, you don't have to hide this part of who you are, we'd all like to wish you a great evening etc. instead of playing dumb!"

I don't think that's inconsistent .... I wish people didn't feel like they had to hide their sexual orientations but at the same time -- if they aren't talking about it, then I'm not going to be making an assumption either. A former coworker loved to tell the story of how her dh asked her out on their first date. They'd been friends for a couple years and when he finally worked up the courage to ask her out, she interrupted him and said, "Oh, don't worry, I know you're gay." Talk about awkward!

Not all who wander are lost.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page