PBS "Educational?" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2003, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Funny you should mention how "watered down" Sesame Street is! I have noticed since I've had kids (four years now) that there is such a difference between the SS of my youth and the version nowadays. Yuck! Used to be so creative and warm and fuzzy. Now, it just sucks! We don't watch it anyway, but I just had to put in my two cents.

Mallory, now that you mention it, it does bother me that the Dept. of Ed. sponsors PBS stuff!

Not related but, my daughter was freaked out by "Seven Little Monsters" when she saw the one monster take his head off and carry it around!

Had to mention "Franklin" (for older preschoolers) and "Little Bear", on Noggin in the afternoon. Both, esp. Little Bear, are so gentle and enjoyable to watch. Anyone ever see "Little Bill" on Nick Jr.? We catch it on Saturday on CBS (one of the few decent shows on then). What a wonderful, family-friendly show!!! Bill Cosby hit the nail on the head with that one!

We watch TV for the entertainment value, too. I find the afore-mentioned shows OK for my 4 and 2 year-olds to watch occasionally while I get some housework done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2003, 12:01 AM

Sunmountain, I agree with almost everything you said. I'll take it further though.

I don't let my children watch tv in a vacuum. I am always around. I can hear even if I am not watching. We talk about what they see -- not in an artificial way but because these things come up naturally. The problems come up and the good things come up, and they learn a lot, even from the shows that are not "supposed" to be educational.

I trust my children. I give them choices. They can turn the television on whenever they want (it helps that we don't have cable and PBS is one of the few stations that comes in well). They can watch whatever videos we have whenever they want and they can pick videos out of the children's section of the library and occasionally the video store. There are times, like when it's cold and snowy or when they're sick or more tired than usual, that they watch several hours in a day. But then there are other times when they actually go entire months or even seasons without it, completely by their own choice. And when they are watching, they turn it off a lot on their own, when they feel they have watched too much or when they don't like a show, or they feel like going out, or have been inspired by a show to go try something out (this happens with Zoom in particular) or whatever. I also see that my older daughter is a lot more interested in tv than my younger daughter and always has been. But she is also obviously a more visual learner than her sister. She takes after her father (not after me!), and he has done well in life by being a visual learner. My younger daughter is very often not interested when her sister is watching, and she'll do her own thing or hang out with me.

There are shows that annoy me but they like. Why should they be subject to my tastes? And they know what annoys me, and why, and they give me good reasons for why they like the shows, sometimes they even convince me or I convince them, but we always learn from each other. We do examine the marketing ploys as well.

But isn't even Raggedy Ann a marketing ploy? Didn't she have books that went with her? What about Paddington Bear? Aren't these considered classics? How are these so different than shows and books and merchandise going together?

And, as I said, they talk about what they see with me. I allow them their freedom with this, but I am there for them, and I see it working.

The fact that it is sponsored by the department of education bothers me only in that there are these arbitrary definitions of what is educational and what is not. But then, I'm an unschooler so I have a whole philosophy about that.

[edited to add a missing word]
Old 04-08-2003, 12:09 AM

Melissa J- We are little Bill fans here My ds loves that show. We don't have cable but I found some lil Bill tapes at a resale shop. I love the family dynamics with Alice the Great. I like how gentle the family is but still real(for a cartoon). It is a fav. of ours. i love the way my ds says "lil' Biiilll".

I also miss the S.S. of my youth. I loved that skit with the pinball machine." 1234567891011twelllllve! Ladybug picnic. They use to focus on the letter of the day and the number of the day more then they do now. It is still one of the few kids shows I enjoy watching with my children though.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:33 AM

Sesame street has been "watered down" to make it more aplicable to younger children. Their target audience used to be preschoolers, 4 and 5 year olds, but now their audience has gotten younger so it is aimed at 2 and 3 year olds. The educational focus has switched from numbers and letters that would help a child get ready for kindergarden, to helping them get ready for preschool.

I don't know if I have ever seen the whole show, but the monsters are at preschool right? And the whole pattern of skits to the show is supposed to be a big improvement.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I loved that skit with the pinball machine." 1234567891011twelllllve! Ladybug picnic.
They still play these, I know I have seen all of these and more oldies but goodies recently.

hydrangea, we certainly are on the same page
Old 04-08-2003, 02:21 PM

Well of all the T.V. out there PBS was the only 'kids programming' I would let my son watch - HOWEVER I'm not sure I would really call much of it educational :

My biggest annoyance was the fact that even though it's called commercial free television it's NOT - before and after every kids show there are adds for Chuck E Cheese, Life cereal and Lego's and while they aren't as blatent as full on commercial t.v. kids are bright enough to get it :

SO....we decided to stop watching it all together, it's been almost 2 months now and we are actually really enjoying it - My son is being more creative, we spend more time together and I think everyone seems happier

Oh, I agree with everyone on the watered down Seasame Street, it makes me sad to see it because it USED to be such a cool show
Old 04-09-2003, 03:49 PM

Ah...i can only sigh reading all of this. My husband announced last night that we ARE going to get Direct TV. They're the only television service that has ALL the NFL games.

He doesn't get it that his television addiction costs us an arm and a leg. AND I have to go to work to make ends meet. It's a battle I can't win.

ANYWAY...I used to love Nick Jr. programming. The Busy World of Richard Scary and Little Bear...Blues Clues and Allegra's Window. My favorite was Gullah Gullah Island. Where did that one go? I'm not a big fan of Dora. My dd thinks she knows Spanish now. I'm constantly trying to help her pronounce the words correctly. She just doesn't get it from the tv like she THINKS she does. ARGH!

I was terribly bored the last time I tried to watch Sesame Street. There is another program called "Zoom" that I think is highly entertaining and pretty darn educational. They play neat games and do all kinds of experiments. It's on in the afternoon, though.

I agree that we shouldn't expect tv to be educational. It's a distraction that can be entertaining and perhaps teach something from time to time. We're going to participate in no tv week. With the exception of dh and the tv in our bedroom, I'm sure. :

Edited to add: I do like Noggin. I love the Electric Company reruns. Those are just fantastic! I'm not sure why they were on at 2am, though. LOL
Old 04-09-2003, 05:43 PM

Where do you see Electric Company? That was my favorite when I was little. I'd love to see it again!

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
Old 04-09-2003, 08:55 PM

It's on Noggin, I think. It's one of the channels that comes with the digital cable package. (TOO MUCH MONEY)

It's funny to watch because it's soooo grainy. Just like tv looked when we had an antenna and had to go outside to turn it to get certain channels.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:55 PM

I just looked at one of my books by Norman Bridwell, the author of Clifford. It was published by Scholastic in 1965. Looks like Scholastic was just the publisher he went with, no alterior motive that I can see.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:42 AM

I haven't read all the responses, so I hope I am not repeating what has been said.As far as advertising, there are now full blown commercials on PBS. For sugary cereal no less!! I was irritated enough with Barnes and Noble and Juicy Juice, but at leawst it was stuff that was good for the kids. Also, so many of the shows are basically one big ad for characters based products.
But, on Nick Jr, in between shows, they have comemrcials for really violent movies, so I guess it is better then that.

I do like some things on PBS. I love Reading rainbow and Mr ROgers. I occasionally tolerate Caillou and George Shrinks. I cant stand Clifford, Bernenstein, Dragon tales, Arthur. Caillou and George Shrinks fall in the same category, but we dont wastch them that often. IMO, it is what Charlotte Mason refers to as twaddle. I like the premise of LIberty's Kids, but its violence was upsetting to ds. I like the stuff they do on ZOom, but the set is too busy visually.
TLC now has Magic School bus on in the mornings.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:04 PM

Mostly, if we watch anything on PBS, it's for entertainment, not education. We don't get cable, and while I don't love all the shows on PBS, the few we watch (Sesame Street, Sagwa and Clifford) are much better than anything on the commercial networks.

Our favorite, however, is Between the Lions, and that one is educational, in addition to being hilarious. My dd was reading at 4, in large part because this show really helped her learn about short vowel sounds, which are one of the harder concepts for little ones to grasp when learning to read. http://www.carnegie.org/reporter/01/between_lions/

Anybody else walk around humming "Grubby Pup" all day? I think I'd watch it even if my kids didn't like it.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by chellemarie
Ah...i can only sigh reading all of this. My husband announced last night that we ARE going to get Direct TV. They're the only television service that has ALL the NFL games.
That is true, but the NFL Sunday Ticket package is an additional subscription cost in addition to what you are paying for monthly DirecTV service. It's about $200 which can be paid in 4 installments, but it is still kind of pricey, if you ask me, although my husband gets it so he can watch his Miami Dolphins, and I can watch my team as well. But then I feel like we have to sit home on Sundays and watch football because we've paid so much money to have access to these games. Although last year we tried TiVoing them--I just watched them on fast forward.

We don't get PBS because Reno local channels are not offered. We get LA locals, but for some reason the satellite for PBS is just not strong enough for us to get it all the way up here. So we haven't been able to watch PBS for awhile. I don't mind a lot of the programming on the other channels we get. HBO Family has some good shows, and there is a lot on Noggin that she likes. I even like some of the Nick Jr. programming, although I hate Rugrats which is my daughter's fave. I think that show is educational in a bad way, and I'd love to cut her off from it. And I do hate, hate, hate those darn toy commercials, but I can fast forward through them, thankfully.

Gullah Gullah Island is still on Noggin, from what I can tell since I just saw it the other day.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:27 AM

amywillo...oh, I know it's extra. He's acting like he won't get it. I know better. I also know the day is coming when I refuse to work to support these bad habits.

I'm evil. Muuuahhahhahahahahahaaaaaa.

I hate my tv. My kids are forbidden to watch tv at home this week. Had an argument while playing sega and violence ensued. So none this week. And next is turn off your tv week. Ahhh...peace and quiet.

User Tag List