>>, mothering" /> >> Television" /> The New "PIONEER" reality show on PBS>>> - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2003, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone been watching this? What do you think so far? I saw the very first episode as a fluke.I was channel surfing and I was SO THRILED to see they were doing another show similar to the Victorian and etc. shows.

In case you have not seen it, it is two couples who have been chosen to live in the "wilderness" of Canada( heavens, was it Manitoba? Or winnepeg..I cannot recall!) for a year.They have to build homes and barn and feed animals and have a garden and survive the winter even!!!

It looks to be extremely interesting, and even more satisfying than the pioneer thing PBS had out last year with the families in Montana, as these folks will actually be able to stay an entire year and see if all their work has been sufficient to survive and even maybe prosper a little the next spring!

Cannot wait to see the next episode.I believe it is on Thursadys ( when er is on here) and on Saturdays as well.

YIPPEE!!! I love this type of thing!!!!!!!

Becca( the PBS reality show junky who longs to do similar things....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2003, 02:40 PM

IT took some digging at PBS.org but :
Quote:
Pioneer Quest: A Year in the Real West
Calendar, Monthly Summary, Full Text Listing

The Dream

Two modern-day couples re-create the lifestyle of settlers on the Canadian prairie in the late 1800s, building a homestead, raising livestock and planting crops while braving the elements Apr 5 7:00pm
Apr 10 10:00pm
If Mama Ain't Happy...

A new couple arrives at the homestead just in time for one of the wettest Junes in a century; a kitchen shelter is built and crops are planted Apr 12 7:00pm
Apr 17 11:00pm
Prairie Purgatory

Rain and mosquitoes plague the pioneers as they struggle to plant their crops and build a house for Frank and Alana Apr 19 7:00pm
Apr 24 10:00pm
What Are We Doing This For?

The pioneers are feted at an Argyle celebration; disaster strikes the barn; the two couples struggle to make the re-enactment real Apr 26 7:00pm

from this page : http://www.pbs.org/cgi-registry/what...d&d=2003-04-10

so the new one is actually on TONIGHT at 7 and then re-airs Thurs at 10. We loved frontier house so I am sure we will be checking this out. Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-12-2003, 05:03 PM

Thank You so Much, I loved frontier house as well, I admire that style of living and enjoy watching these ordinary people take on that adventure. This is reality unlike those other lame shows out now!

I havent' seen it yet or heard of it until this post, I can't wait to watch it tonight! =)

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 04-12-2003, 08:42 PM

hmmmm I don't think I get that show here.
I checked the local listing to see for sure, and only thing is Lawrence welk.. hahah and I'm not watching that. anyhow I went to PBS and typed in Pioneer Quest, nothing came up.
and then googled it, and it only shows up at the history channel. Is that what channel you both meant? if so I don't get cable...

I would have liked to see this show, maybe it will air later ??

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 04-14-2003, 12:37 AM

Oh I loved Frontier House and the one that was set in England maybe and supposed to mimick the 40's and the victorian one. Wow that is a great series! I have seen every episode at least 2 times. I am going to see when Pioneer house is on here and start watching. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2003, 09:28 PM

We are watching it too, it is really cool! After they walked 4 hours to get to their "settlement", dh and I agreed we couldn't even do that much! :LOL
Old 04-15-2003, 09:55 AM

I will definately try and watch this one! I love the other two they did.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 04-15-2003, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

I saw the last episode with the new family joining in, and it was really great..although now my curiosity is piqued as to why the older woman was getting into a car and leaving. I am hoping her kids were ok. I would be so worried if I were away from my kids like that and had no real contact with them. I wonder if there were allowed to write letters?

I can only imagine the level of exaustion they must have been frought with.

When I re-read my copy of little house on the praire, I always cry very hard at the end when they must leave the garden and etc behind and move on.All the work and they have to just walk away from it. And when the Native Americans leave and their horses make that long long trail into the horizon. My God, how moving to even think about it.

I don't care if they are only childrens books...Laura Ingalls Wrote some of the best things I have ever had the privilage to read.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:37 PM

Avonlea- ITA! I have a very old set of her books and they are the best. Her books are well written and interesting to me still. I started reading Little House on the Prairie to dd. Even though she is only 11 months old. I can speak in a soft voice and the story sounds even better. I love the TV show too.

User Tag List