Top Chef-The new thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cross-posted from the old thread:

Quote:
I was wondering when a new thread would start. I just hadn't gotten around to starting one myself.

I LOVE Top Chef! I even sucked DH in to watching it with me. I was a little irritated with Otto for stealing the food, but I was REALLY irritated that Marisa didn't call him on it at the store, and make him take it back in. She just waited to get back to the kitchen to tattle on him, and then he had to leave to return it to the store, wasting time. I think she should have been kicked off too.

DH thinks it is scripted.
I also really liked Harold. Maybe he will make periodic appearences... And Padma Lakshmi does seem to know her stuff and be a "foodie".

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 02:50 PM

I wasn't crazy about last year's host, but Padma isn't doing it for me, either.

I think Marisa wouldn't have said squat about those lychees if there wasn't film. I think she secretly thought, "Oooooh yeah. SCORE!" then thought, "Er. I bet the camera man caught that. Now I must kill Otto. Muahahahaha!"

Otto did the right thing taking himself out of the competition. But I will misshmading frphinim. : Olive Oyl makes way better faces when she's cranky and I think she's going to be cranky a lot.

Also:

SAM! I'll take that to GO, please. Woohoo! He's hot and arrogant. Delicious.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 PM

subbing.. Ohh I've got a lot to say, be back hopefully after DS falls asleep.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 PM

Okay.. DS is asleep.. ..

I think that Marisa (and anyone else who heard Otto) should have done something BEFORE they ever got into that car. It's p*ssed me off that he removed himself from the show - I feel like he really didn't want this enough. It seemed like the judges were saying that if he fessed up and admitted that he was wrong, they would have gotten rit of Tiffani - I mean Marisa. . (I love those faces she makes!!!) I would have loved to see her go.

That being said, though.. Otto really shouldn't have let them all drive off with those free lychees. It wasn't right, but it did seem like a mistake. He did the right thing removing himself, but... Man, it just makes me mad!! Marisa totally screwed up that dessert!!! I don't think she's going to last very long anyway.

I hate that there's so many people now that we don't see everyone dish!! I wanted to see everyone sushi in the Quickfire Challenge. Poor Mia!! She didn't look so good there.

I love this show!!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie View Post
I wasn't crazy about last year's host, but Padma isn't doing it for me, either.
katie lee joel was soooo wooden. i had high hopes for padma but she sadly seems to be just as wooden and devoid of personality. and i HATE gail simmons, she's so f*ing smug and arrogant. tom seems like the only one who's ever been NEAR a professional kitchen. i wish they would get some good female role models on that show. alice waters probably wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot sharpening wand, and i think cat cora () is probably busy, but what about giada de laurentis (certainly model-pretty enough to fit the mold) or someone?

i have the same problem with the celebrity guest judges. never strong kitchen women. and there are plenty to choose from! not that i'm complaining about tony bourdain's guest shot this season - he's ... watchable . where are the alice waters, the susan spicers, the ruth reichls?

oh, and why all the tiffani-hate? she was by far the strongest competitor last season and got COMPLETELY cheated out of winning (her team wouldn't work for her because they DIDN'T LIKE HER and said as much ON-CAMERA!). to succeed in the business, ESPECIALLY as a woman, you have to bust balls. men aren't going to let you play their reindeer games at any cost, and you have to carve out a place for yourself by being measured, cool, impersonal, and oftentimes more than perfect just to get your foot in the door.

yeah, i love this show, too. comes with the territory. while i'm away from the kitchen raising up ds, i can live vicariously ... between top chef, hell's kitchen (vastly inferior imo), and dh's stories at the end of the day, it's like i'm almost back there.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:24 AM

subbing... something is wrong with the drop-down menu so I can't sub that way. weird!
Old 10-29-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
katie lee joel was soooo wooden. i had high hopes for padma but she sadly seems to be just as wooden and devoid of personality. and i HATE gail simmons, she's so f*ing smug and arrogant. tom seems like the only one who's ever been NEAR a professional kitchen. i wish they would get some good female role models on that show. alice waters probably wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot sharpening wand, and i think cat cora () is probably busy, but what about giada de laurentis (certainly model-pretty enough to fit the mold) or someone?

i have the same problem with the celebrity guest judges. never strong kitchen women. and there are plenty to choose from! not that i'm complaining about tony bourdain's guest shot this season - he's ... watchable . where are the alice waters, the susan spicers, the ruth reichls?

oh, and why all the tiffani-hate? she was by far the strongest competitor last season and got COMPLETELY cheated out of winning (her team wouldn't work for her because they DIDN'T LIKE HER and said as much ON-CAMERA!). to succeed in the business, ESPECIALLY as a woman, you have to bust balls. men aren't going to let you play their reindeer games at any cost, and you have to carve out a place for yourself by being measured, cool, impersonal, and oftentimes more than perfect just to get your foot in the door.

yeah, i love this show, too. comes with the territory. while i'm away from the kitchen raising up ds, i can live vicariously ... between top chef, hell's kitchen (vastly inferior imo), and dh's stories at the end of the day, it's like i'm almost back there.
Do I have to duck if I say Padma isn't model-pretty, either? Gah. Distracting. I'm not going to say more unless someone gives me permission to be not nice.

Tiffani bothered me because I thought she was too cold. Any time she attempted warmth, it seemed very forced. I was close to a woman who was just like Tiffani. I think ball-busting is trying to hard to be something you're not. Being strong and confident is awesome. For me, Tiffani crossed the line and couldn't get back.

She also cooked for herself more than for her customer. More than once she knew what the customer wanted but did something else anyway.

I like Gail. It might have more to do with the way she speaks - the way she phrases things - than her personality.

While I lust after Sam (so far), I'd pick Tom to spend Sunday mornings with. Sigh. My heart pumps big love for Tom.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:23 PM

nak

disclaimer - I don't know jack about food or famous chefs.

Katie, Padma, Gail - none of em bug me at all. Maybe Gail could lighten up a bit but she doesn't really bug me.

I agree with you about the guest judges - lots of males. A few females though - I can only think of that sex-party thing in Season 1 and I think there was one more. But certainly not a lot. Not a lot of POC either.

Tiffani - her food seemed to be right on - but her attitude is what killed her. I would have been SO MAD if she won Season 1. It's funny that on the bravotv website, Harold, LeeAnne and David all have blogs. Where's Tiffani??

Sure, her team wouldn't work for her last season but can we think of why?? I mean, it didn't seem that any of the food came out awful, but I can understand not giving 100% to someone you don't think deserves to win anyway. And why don't they think so? Because of her rotten stinky attitude. Remember why she had to cook for the kids? What did she say..? Something like.. "I don't care if 10 year old don't like my applesauce?" Man, if she didn't have immunity, she might have left.

It's not just about the taste. It's about the presentation, the customer service.. The whole package.

Tiffani did make for an interesting show, though. Every basket needs it's rotten apple!!!

Quote:

Old 10-29-2006, 05:11 PM

oh, I really like gail. good for her for getting where she is. I didn't have a problem with Tiffani either. I'm also not crazy about Rushdie's wife. I'd like to see them just do away with the attempts at getting a pretty mouthpiece and put a heavyweight in instead. I'd love that one Napa chef who called Dave a pepper monkey last season!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:42 PM

"If Otto does admit it and takes responsibility, I think Marisa should go home." Tom Collichio

GRRRR. She should have gone home!!! He didn't have to bow out!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:29 PM

I agree that the whole deal with the lychee's should have been resolved before anyone left the store -- then it wouldn't have been a distraction and the show would have been about food and not ethics. Though I do think that professionalism should count for something in all of these shows (i.e. Top Chef, Project Runway) and I am never happy that people who have good ethics/character/values always seem to get screwed.

I also really like the website as a way to get a better view of what happeneds -- I wish the show didn't have to edit so much out.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:27 PM

What did everything think about last night's decision? I thought that Emily was so snobby about this whole challenge that she probably didn't care enough to work her best and thus deserved to go. The hosts are right -- not everyone eats fine dining all the time and "the rest of us" deserve good food to. Especially those of us who have to figure out dinner out with kids!

I hope they do another children's challenge again. I thought that was one of the best challenges las season. Very revealing about people's personalities and connection with "the real world".
Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Well, there was a lot of snobbery - the body language was SO obvious when they all heard the challenge. Emily is, of course, awful but in such an entertaining way. I'm sorry to miss future gems like this:

"I HATE children"

"With your four teeth and gigantic ass, the last thing you need is MORE sugar"

BWahahahaha. What a twit.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:14 PM

I dozed during most of last night's episode and will have to watch the encore, but I was disappointed to see Emily turn out to be so vile. I'm always rooting for the women-particularly the younger ones who could use the exposure. Still love Betty!
Old 11-05-2006, 11:41 AM

ITA with everyone. I LOVE Betty and am starting to get a crush on Sam. Cliff rocks too.

Bye, Emily... You silly girl! Talking about people's big asses?! WTH?? Wasn't she some kind of fancy gourmet chef?? And she's over salting her food?!

Ewww... Avocado and bacon ice cream!? And Marcel looked so shocked that people wouldn't try it and that he lost!!!! !!!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 PM

What does everyone think about no one goiing home???
Old 11-12-2006, 11:06 PM

yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Tom watch them like a hawk. It's a sloppy group this season!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM

ITA, mata.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Tom watch them like a hawk. It's a sloppy group this season!
Anything that gives Tom more camera time is a good thing. Yummy.

I think Betty really didn't think she was making a mistake. I think the folks squirting extra olive oil knew they were misbehaving, though.

Sam makes the world a happier place.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Anything that gives Tom more camera time is a good thing. Yummy.

I think Betty really didn't think she was making a mistake. I think the folks squirting extra olive oil knew they were misbehaving, though.

Sam makes the world a happier place.
ITA about Sam and Tom!!

It bugs me that no one went home - what a waste of a show. I think that if Otto went home for a mistake, Betty should have gone home. And to those olive oil squirters! Sam (and whomever else who saw) should have said something at the TIME, though!! Not when he could have gone home.

I think they just didn't want to send Sam or Cliff home (Carlos had immunity). And didn't want to send Betty b/c she was on a winning team.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 PM

I am getting really sick of the "after the fact" tattling. Can you GD a bunch of adult contestants? From her blog, I understand this is why Lee Ann was brought into things at show 5. Hope she can help.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:13 PM

I love LeeAnne!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 PM

I would have maybe tried the winning dish last night, but I don't think I'd have eaten anything else. What the heck were they doing?!

I couldn't stop saying, "You look like the 4th of July. It makes me want a hot dog reaaalllll bad."

Also, I like the host a little less every time I see her.
I was fascinated watching the guest judge eat, though. I could watch her talk all day. (I'm weird.)
Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I would have maybe tried the winning dish last night, but I don't think I'd have eaten anything else. What the heck were they doing?!
Sam and Cliff nailed it; everyone else had their head in their bum.
Tom Colicchio was right on when he blasted everyone for "just trying to stay alive".

Quote:
Also, I like the host a little less every time I see her.
I was fascinated watching the guest judge eat, though. I could watch her talk all day. (I'm weird.)
Padma gets on my last nerve. And she sounds stoned all the time.

I was a little sorry to see Josie go, though they had to eliminate two contestants given last week's fiasco. No sympathy for Marisa ... the "I'm a pastry chef" card doesn't fly in an all-around chef competition. They both should have known better. And when the owner of Social mentioned at Judges' Table that people passed up Loup de Mer, purple artichokes, and venison, I got furious. I was mad enough that all that awesome offal got passed up because no one knew how to use anything but sweetbreads. Idiots.

I'm picky.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:32 AM

I'm picky too and want it to get down to the final three already-there are so many hacks this season. Sam is definitely a hottie, but it's Ilan that does it for me. I hope it's between them. And Padma is horrible! I hate the promo where she says something about everything about food exciting her, and I ESPECIALLY loathe when every single expression on her face is an attempt to look sexy and smoldering. BLEH!!!!!!!

edited to add-but how could I forget to say how much I love Jennifer Coolidge? She is so freaking funny-I swear they could have put poop on a plate and she'd ooh and ahhh over it.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
awesome offal
Lady, I just ate breakfast.

I'm not familiar with any of the stuff on that table for the quick fire. I watched in horror as the guest judge sampled all the dishes. "This is lovely." "I cook this every day." "Delicious." The only thing that saved me was my fascination with the way she moves her face.

I could (and do) go on and on about Padma. I hate it when she walks in the kitchen with her body barely covered and her hair flying wildly about her head. Woman! Slap on a hair net, put on some pants and cover those armpits in my kitchen.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Lady, I just ate breakfast.

I'm not familiar with any of the stuff on that table for the quick fire. I watched in horror as the guest judge sampled all the dishes. "This is lovely." "I cook this every day." "Delicious." The only thing that saved me was my fascination with the way she moves her face.

I could (and do) go on and on about Padma. I hate it when she walks in the kitchen with her body barely covered and her hair flying wildly about her head. Woman! Slap on a hair net, put on some pants and cover those armpits in my kitchen.
nak

ITA about he stuff on the table at the quickfire!!!!!

re: Padma!!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 PM

That stuff was scary.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:59 AM

Ah, that makes me so sad, in a way. I feel like if we're going to eat meat, we should know how to make ALL of it taste good. But then again, since no one else likes it ... more for me!

Do you guys mean to tell me no one here likes liver? Pate? Southern Dirty Rice?
And what about honeycomb tripe in Chinese food, that s* ROCKS!

Like I said ... more for me.

I feel good that Harold agreed with me about the sweetbreads. He's a peach.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:22 AM

Anyone else bummed Josie is gone??? I mean her first time to the bottom 3 & she is gone. Whereas, how many times has drunk Micheal been there & we are still tortured to watch him??? grrrrrrrr.....

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou

User Tag List