I try not to be superficial... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But does anyone else here find something just GROSS about Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) on Sex and the City?
#2 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 01:17 AM

I think Carrie's incessant smoking is the absolute grossest - but what is it that you find gross about Miranda?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#3 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxceleste View Post
But does anyone else here find something just GROSS about Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) on Sex and the City?
Not at all. I like her character a lot. There's times when she looks less attractive than other times, but overall I think she's an attractive woman, and a strong and interesting character.
#4 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 PM

hmmmm, gross? No- why?

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#5 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 03:45 PM

OK, I'll agree with you! I think the shape of her teeth are kind of odd and it does bug me. I also don't like what they did with her hair in a couple of the seasons. It was really short and slicked back and an unnaturally-colored red. I know she is a natural redhead, but for awhile there she must've had a colorist who tried to "vamp it up" and it just didn't work. The last couple of seasons they softened up her hair and it looked much better. The red hair probably accounts for the teeth thing, too. As a redhead myself, I'm "blessed" with big ol' yellow-tinged Scottish teeth!

She's not a "Classic" or "Hollywood" beauty, but I think the main thing is that the stylists didn't do such a great job with her. (I also find it verrry hard to believe that any of those women would have so many men in real life!!)
#6 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually, Cynthia Nixon is a natural blonde. I think they dyed her hair for the show and yes, in some seasons is looked better than others.

DH cannot stand her. He would literally leave the room when there were Miranda scenes. He did not think she was good looking at all. Me, OTOH, I thought some episodes she looked great and in others, not so much. It definitely depended on her hair color/style.

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#7 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 04:02 PM

Sex and the City? That's the show with the three ugly chicks, and the one cute one, right?

Trust me, being 'superficial' about Sex and the City is like throwing a pebble in the ocean. You can't possibly get more superficial than that show.
#8 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate&Joey View Post
Actually, Cynthia Nixon is a natural blonde.
: On ER last year she was kind of strawberry blonde; but in Little Darlings (when she was about 13) she had long, blonde hair.

I agree, the really short bright red hair was pretty fugly.
But all in all, I think CN is quite pretty (despite those weird teeth).

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#9 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 PM

My mom was just commenting that in other movies/shows she is pretty, but no Sex in the City, she is not. Maybe they were playing her up as the ugly girl.
#10 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 PM

I like Miranda, but definitely, those earlier shows, she didn't look all that wonderful. It was the super short hair, it wasn't very flattering, imo. However, I think all 4 of them look a little funny in the very first few episodes. I think they all get softer looking as the show progresses.
#11 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Jalapeno View Post
Sex and the City? That's the show with the three ugly chicks, and the one cute one, right?

Trust me, being 'superficial' about Sex and the City is like throwing a pebble in the ocean. You can't possibly get more superficial than that show.

QFT

And Kim Cattrall creeps me out more than any of them for some reason ((shudder))
#12 of 23 Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM

I always thought all of them were ugly, except the anal brunette. And, she was only cute, not sexy *at all*.

I think they made Miranda the ugliest b/c she was the "smartest" one. You know...smart chicks are ugly. *rolleyes*
#13 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 AM

Wow, I think all those women are interesting, attractive, and... well, certainly not gross.

I think Kim Cattrall is fantastic looking and not just because she has the classic bombshell look, but because it suits her and it works for her and she's totally out there with it.

FWIW, my DH thought Cynthia Nixon was the most attractive on the show. I think he was attracted to her realness and her cynical personality. And I don't think they were making her "ugly" or playing up her "ugliness". That doesn't fit in with the whole vibe and philosophy of the show at all, not to mention I don't think Cynthia Nixon thinks that she was made up to be ugly.

I think I like Kristen Davis the least, at least as far as "her type" and her look in that show, but I still thought the character of Charlotte had many redeeming qualities. Of course, they all did. She's kind of the blandest one looks-wise though, IMO.

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#14 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 02:37 AM

I think the Miranda character was supposed to be the "nerdy" one, which is why they styled and dressed her weird sometimes (okay, most of the time).

I think Kim Cattrall is gorgeous.
#15 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 08:29 AM

I think they're all gorgeous and I miss them!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#16 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
And Kim Cattrall creeps me out more than any of them for some reason ((shudder))
Amen to that!

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#17 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 10:26 AM

I always thought Cynthia Nixon was attractive. The only one I don't find to be attractive is Sara Jessica Parker. And thats only b/c I think she dresses weird. She always has beautiful hair.
#18 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
She always has beautiful hair.
Well, that is cracking me up.

I actually stopped watching the show b/c I found the women so unattractive. Well, that and they kept Mr. Big waaaay too active. I watched the last season just so I could see how it ended and I was so pissed, I doubt I'll ever have anything good to say about that show or anyone on it for a loooong time.

Well...except the gay guy. He was a great character! I thought all of them were waaaay too into themselves to really, *really* like the show. It's not like Seinfeld, where the comic value of their stupidity was obvious. Wasn't it a drama?
#19 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I always thought Cynthia Nixon was attractive. The only one I don't find to be attractive is Sara Jessica Parker. And thats only b/c I think she dresses weird. She always has beautiful hair.
Thank God I'm not the only one! I think SJP is quite beautiful IRL, but on the show she looks so, well, trashy-at least in the first few seasons. And from what I understand, she got to keep the clothes, too. The part of the show I thought she looked great was just after she had James Wilke and cut her hair short and started wearing more stylish clothes that didn't make her look ridiculous.

Lucy-do you mean Stanford or Charlotte's wedding planner (played by Mario Cantone)? They were both great-Mario Cantone is now a hairdresser on Men In Trees...or at least for one episode I saw.
#20 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
I think they're all gorgeous and I miss them!
ITA. Everyone has a show they just "get"--SATC is mine.
#21 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy VanPelt View Post
Well, that is cracking me up.

I actually stopped watching the show b/c I found the women so unattractive. Well, that and they kept Mr. Big waaaay too active. I watched the last season just so I could see how it ended and I was so pissed, I doubt I'll ever have anything good to say about that show or anyone on it for a loooong time.

You stopped watching a show because you found the cast unattractive?
#22 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM

I think SJP is a hideous beast and I'd take Miranda over her any day.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#23 of 23 Old 11-10-2006, 02:57 PM

Thread closed for UA violation.

UA#1 clearly states that you must avoid the following when posting:
[quote]Posting in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, namecalling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law. [/quoting]

I am sure that if anyone read these sorts of comments about themselves they would be hurt and rightly so. Please try to keep that in mind when posting

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page