Doesn't Baby Story p*** you off?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2003, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, one of the moms I saw was a network anchorperson, so she was used to cameras. Her hair and makeup were perfect throughout the birth.

Steve Irwin (croc hunter) had his crew film his wife Terry birthing. She was mad at him, but went with it.

I watched Baby Story 3 times this week. I saw 2 different births in the same CA birthing center pink tub with the same midwife (older red dyed hair Hispanic lady?). I also saw what looked like an epidural birth. This mom was shown bfing later! I hit the jackpot! I was so surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2003, 03:09 PM

Like some other moms have said, I used to LOVE watching ABS when my 3 1/2 yo was new. I hate to watch it now. Also those Labor & Delivery and Maternity Ward shows are nothing but woman on there backs screaming in pain wonder why the h*ll their not progressing!

One episode 3 years ago was this gal that everything was progressing fine and she had been pushing for awhile (not sure how long maybe a couple of hours, probably less) and she "couldn't push anymore" because she "was too tired". The doctor was telling her she was almost done and the baby was coming but she refused push anymore, would just cry and scream through the contractions. She was BEGGING for a c-section and the doctor finally gave in...

I'm so happy to hear they do c-sections these days out of "convenience"...but all of you have already mentioned and witnessed this...grrr.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:52 PM

Quote:
When I see the ladies in labor with the epidurals I get so pissed. when I see them push and act like their having so much pain while doing it.
Well as a woman who was in labor for 18 hours and pushing for 4 of it and had an epidural... I can tell you my yelling wasn't fake.. My epidural wore off during that 4 hours of pushing.. And after pushing 4 hours i was ready for a repeat c-sec as opposed to a vbac.. I hadn't had anything to eat since 7 am, and by midnight i was starving and exhausted...

I told the OB i couldn't push anymore because after 4 hours of trying and the baby not moving... I really couldn't push anymore.. I told the OB it hurt, and i could tell the babe wasn't moving, and i did not have the energy to push anymore..

We discussed it, and decided to try to deliver with a fairly high forcepts delivery, and if that didn't work we would do a c/sec.. The forcepts did work, but babe came out with a broken collar bone...

I'm not saying it isn't an annoying show, i'm just saying that just because someone has had an epidural doesn't mean they pain ins't real during delivery.. They can and do wear off.. And pushing for expended periods of time when you haven't have anything to eat or drink for hours can make you a mite tired, and a c/sec (even when you've had one, and it was an awful recovery) can sound like a godsend to relieve what seem like hell..

Just my .02 from having been there, and done that...

Warm Squishy Feelings...

DYan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 AM

Okay, I know this thread has kind of died, but did anyone see the one yesterday with the freakin OB's having a baby? I mean, I know that it really isn't that surprising, but I could not believe that this OB willingly asked for all these interventions. It was unbelievable to me. The husband and wife were both OB/GYNS and they were having their second baby. That woman was screaming for her epidural at 3 cm. She did not do ANYTHING to try to get through her contractions. NOTHING. You would think she would've at least tried to wait a while so she didn't end up slowing her labor down. I don't know, I was just shaking my head at the whole thing and I'm definitely not a doctor. It's a little disheartening to see the medical professionals act that way. I haven't had to deal with this yet, b/c I am childless thus far. But if ever I were in doubt to seek out a MW I am definitely not now.

ps I realize that not ALL OB's are like this, but it did confirm a lot of what I had been seeing from the research I've been compiling. I can't wait for my homebirths!
Old 06-07-2003, 12:30 AM

I didn't see the show you mention but...

My OB has had 3 kids now, her last two she was pregnant the same time I was with my last two, and I'd LOVE to know how she delivered!!

Just makes me shake my head and be proud of my first and my last drug free births. (my middle one was emergency c-section, but successful VBAC...yay! )
Old 06-07-2003, 09:41 PM

Old 06-08-2003, 11:59 PM

I wonder if the reason why they have mostly highly-intervened hospital births on that show is because people who plan a natural birth, usually at home or at a birthing center, know that laboring and birthing is too private of an occassion to have cameras there (not to mention be televised on national tv). Or maybe I've just been reading too much Birthing From Within.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:07 AM

There actually is one episode of either A Baby Story or Birth Day (can't remember which, both are equally crap) where a woman in Seattle was having a home birth. The cameras didn't actually film the birth, as they said she was finding it too distracting with the film crew in the bedroom.

I've got to say that while there is no way I'd have let some strange film crew see me while giving birth, had anyone else been there, I'd have likely not even known.

I almost threw something (again) at the tv the other day watching one of those. Some moron wasn't progressing well already (laying down on her back, of course), they gave her an epidural at 2cm, seemed surprised that it continued to not progress, the midwife they talk to says it's a "50/50 chance of a c section", they give her pitocin, and SURPRISE, she ends up with a c section because "the baby couldn't come out". :

User Tag List