Doesn't Baby Story p*** you off?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2003, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watched it yesterday...came in the middle so I didn't get the whole set up. I guess this woman was overdue & being induced and nothing was happening. So the doctor comes in and gives her one of those, "well, we can wait for another couple days over which you'll be getting injections, pitocin, etc. go through an eternity of pain and who knows whether it will all amount to anything, OR you can get a c-section in one hour." Then they leave them to decide while the husband paces rapidly from foot to foot - you can read his thoughts thinking, 'o my God, we can get this all over within an hour?' Of course the woman decides on a c-section and the doctor says smugly, "I think you've made the right decision." No, she made YOUR decision. I hate how they manipulate people! I felt so bad for her...denied the experience of natural birth for no reason. Not to mention she won't be so bloody psyched when she can't get out of bed for 3 weeks! Then they finish off the episode with her giving her 1 month old baby rice cereal as they play music like its the sweetest thing in the world. Ah, the mainstream!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2003, 06:17 PM

Why don't they have the Postpartum Depression Story? Or Post Traumatic Stress Reaction Story to follow? Why don't they show her in a psychiatrist's office trying to figure out what meds she can take while breastfeeding, dealing with the fact that her body has been sliced open unnecessarily? Why don't they show how difficult it is to breastfeed with your staples in? Why not show the baby, struggling in the NICU, born too soon for no good reason?

Ugh.

Can you tell I still have some issues with my second birth?
Old 05-28-2003, 06:23 PM

My SIL and I were just talking about this last weekend. She said she couldn't believe all these "labour and delivery" shows with nothing but epidurals and c-sections. She gave birth (3 times) in a small town hospital with no anesthesiolgist. An epidural wasn't even an option (unless something was wrong - then she would sent by ambulance to the next town over.) She couldn't believe how on all these shows "everyone" gets an epidural. We both agreed that way too many doctors treat pregnancy as a "disorder" that they help cure us of, after 9 months. It seems like they want to "medically intervene" whenever possible (not just when necessary).
Old 05-28-2003, 06:27 PM

I can't watch either Baby story or Birth Day anymore. I was really into it for awhile while I was pregnant, but I kept seeing hospital births with epidurals(I would turn it when I saw them putting one in, just the idea of one makes my skin crawl)And when they did show a homebirth or birthcenter, I would get ticked off because I couldn't have one(no midwives where I was, and closest birthcenter was 2 hours away).

I do understand some women "need" epidurals, but I didn't with either birth(and my first was a pitocin induced back labor birth!), and it just makes me mad seeing so many turn to the epidural at 4cm.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:29 PM

nak
the worst thing is the majority of ppl watching it are pregnant women. they will think its totally normal. grrrrr
do parents really give babies that young cereal? i know many 'mainstreamers' and have never heard of that. what are ppl thinking:

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 05-28-2003, 08:12 PM

I was totally grossed out by that cereal deal, as was DS who was busy nursing while I watched. "Change the channel, Mama!"

I have *never* seen a breastfeeding mother. If they do show a homebirth or birth center, they never SHOW BF even if the mother IS. They just show some lame bath scene.

Breasts are not obscene. Watching a mama force-feed that nasty cereal is obscene!

With great disgust,

Jean
:Puke

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 05-28-2003, 08:17 PM

Funnily enough, I turned on Baby Story today and it was an african american woman, her white husband, and their african american, male, doula. They were all doing yoga because she teaches prenatal yoga. She birthed at a birth center with a midwife, and after the baby was born they waited to cut the cord, and they showed her nursing afterwards! I was totally amazed.

The name of the episode was Sark, if you can catch it!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Why don't they have the Postpartum Depression Story? Or Post Traumatic Stress Reaction Story to follow?
:LOL
Old 05-28-2003, 08:33 PM

Baby Story was filming in NYC during the time of my pg and delivery, and they were looking for people to film. even though i'd love for birthing centers to get greater representation on that show, i couldn't do it--i can't imagine giving birth with a camera crew around--YUCK!!!!!

as far as epidurals go, these shows do make it seem normal--i can't tell you how many people have been shocked by the fact that i didn't have one, and didn't even have the possibility of getting one!! i've seen a couple of episodes that were homebirths or birthing centers, but those are soooo rare.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:31 PM

Really Stonehenge?? Wow, I always figured it was, like, 40 percent. I guess I am out of it:

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 05-28-2003, 10:44 PM

YES!!! And somehow, I keep going back for more. Maybe it's to arm myself with everything that can go wrong once you let one small intervention into your birthing experience. I dunno...

I have started many a thread here about my anger over A Baby Story....do a search, I'm sure you'll find one.

Kylix
Old 05-28-2003, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
RE: breastfeeding---

The late, great Dr. Robert S. Mendelsohn said that he did not think it was indecent for a woman to breastfeed in public. He said that bottlefeeding a baby was a dirty and disgusting habit that should be done only in the privacy of a bathroom.

Sounds absurd when the tables are turned doesn't it?

Babies love breastmilk!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 05-29-2003, 12:09 AM

When I see the ladies in labor with the epidurals I get so pissed. when I see them push and act like their having so much pain while doing it.:
Old 05-29-2003, 01:27 AM

I hate that freaking show
Old 05-29-2003, 01:56 AM

In my 3 years of baby lust while TTC, I watched A Baby Story and Birth Day as often as I could. When I finally got pregnant, I could not stand to watch the shows. Well, I'd watch them, but would get so mad and worked up I'd give myself a headache. I'd call DH at work to vent and he'd ask "So why do you watch those shows anyhow?" Good question. I think I was always hoping to at least see someone breastfeed. I gave up on seeing a non-medicated, undisturbed birth on either show and stopped watching. Better for me to watch cartoons - laughter is better for the soul.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:58 AM

the worst part is the mother on that episode was a freaking NURSE!!! should've know better than feeding a 6 week old cereal!
Old 05-29-2003, 01:59 AM

Moving this to the media forum!
Old 05-29-2003, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by owensmom
Funnily enough, I turned on Baby Story today and it was an african american woman, her white husband, and their african american, male, doula. They were all doing yoga because she teaches prenatal yoga. She birthed at a birth center with a midwife, and after the baby was born they waited to cut the cord, and they showed her nursing afterwards! I was totally amazed.

The name of the episode was Sark, if you can catch it!
A male doula?? A professional male doula, not just a friend? I have never heard of one! Wow, learn something new every day.

So would any of you hire a male doula? (Maybe I should start a poll!)

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-29-2003, 03:33 AM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:42 AM

A male midwife? Wow! I really am having my horizons broadened tonight!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-29-2003, 04:20 AM

Ack gag me! There is a reason I can't watch that show (and haven't in a year or so) I get to stomping ticked off. Even the midwives in the birthing center shows piss me off. even the HOMEBIRTH midwives piss me off. They act like knowitall pushovers IMNSHO. (ok, that's references from ones I saw over 1+ years ago :LOL, ok this is what happens when a UC'er watches these shows lol)

I remember one where the mom had an incompetent cervix (yuck I hate that term) and soon after her cutrilage (sp) was taken out she goes into labor....they ran to the hosptial at the first contraction and hops into bed...labor stalls...so she gets pitocin....she's in paaaaiiin...so she gets an epidural, and is soon hooked up to everything under the sun...hours later her baby is dragged out with forceps (major episiotomy I'm sure) and she nearly dies from hemorraging. Hello People. It was crappy enough to watch this woman get nearly murdered, but then at the end of the show they have happy new parents were relating the tale with great awe and thanks to the wonderful Dr's that saved their lives.

With that crappy "feel good" music playing in the background.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:17 AM

I would certainly consider a male midwife or doula! I would make the decision the same as I do anyway... Do I feel comfortable, do I feel as if I can make a "connection"?

If those answers are yes, I would hire him!

I quit watching A baby story when we got our cable turned off a year ago... I haven't missed it one bit.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:46 AM

Ummm...I am sooooooo happy I don't have a television.

:

(edited to add: said in a really tiny voice with a big smile.....)
Old 05-29-2003, 01:18 PM

Wasn't that the episode where the mother said something like "A csection would be cut and dry"...while trying to decide wether to continue being induced or not?

:Puke

It's my rule not to watch TLC anymore, in particular The Baby Story. I knew of someone on another board that was having TBS film her and it really opened my eyes to the fakeness of that show. It's staged mostly and isn't 100% truthful. I'm honestly surprised that hospitals and doctors allow that kind of filming. You'd think they'd be concerned about educated clients coming in their doors and calling them on the stupid things they recommend (induction, EFM, csections, weight estimations based on sonograms) : and being caught on camera. I remember one doofus OB who sectioned his patient because he just KNEW that the estimated 10 pound baby wouldn't fit through her pelvis. Imagine everyone shock when that baby weighed 7 pounds 13 ounces. Duh.

I gotta stop typing, that show makes my BP rise. Not good for me.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:47 PM

DH doesn't allow me to watch those shows when he's home! LOL

He can't take my yelling at the t.v.
"Of course you're not progressing - get out of bed!!"
"You did not do everything possible to have her deliver vaginally - you didn't even let her push in a different position!"
"She might not NEED an episiotomy if you'd get her off her back!"
"That doctor did NOT save your life!"

And if I happen to catch a show where they show an interview with a smug OB who is laughing about the women who are trying for a drug free birth, or who dare to challenge the doctor's opinion - WATCH OUT! I will rant for a week!

So... um... yeah. We don't watch those shows around here! LOL
Old 05-29-2003, 03:54 PM

Cathi--What's TBS? (Baby Story??) And what do you mean that it's mostly fake and staged?? I'm interested.

Kylix
Old 05-29-2003, 04:30 PM

Another inquiring mind that wants to know how it's staged.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:49 PM

Old 05-30-2003, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseMomme
You'd think that film would become valuable material for a lawsuit should such a thing occur right?
ITA It is my understanding that doctors do not allow taping anymore since these "home movies" are sometimes used in malpractice suits as evidence.

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseMomme
I'm glad they feature homebirths, but having a homebirth for privacy to begin with sort of defeats the whole purpose with Boom Mike Bob looking at your yoni.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:20 AM

Quote:
And I also don't think I could have lights camera action during my births. It was bad enough I had a whole party of staff in and out the door with Kieran the whole time, and I hated the little privacy I had with both of my older boys. I'm glad they feature homebirths, but having a homebirth for privacy to begin with sort of defeats the whole purpose with Boom Mike Bob looking at your yoni.
Maybe that's why some of these women end up with "failure to progress" c-secs. I don't know how anyone can relax enought o have a baby with a camera crew attending.

User Tag List