Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sanjay needs to go home!!!
#6 of 87 Old 03-27-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wha????? Simon liked Phil?

Edited to add:

Lakisha (Last dance – Donna Summer) – She is the diva!!!
Chris S. (Every little thing she does is magic – The Police) – Simon was right. It was a mess.
Gina (I’ll stand by you – The Pretenders) – Her voice sounded amazing.
Sanjaya (Bath water – No Doubt) – Holy mohawk. I thought he sounded *gasp* not bad. :
Haley (True colors – Cyndi Lauper) – She was OK.
Phil (Every breath you take – The Police) – He was OK. Did his mom knit that cap? /end of snark
Melinda (Heaven knows – Donna Summer) – Great voice, not my favorite song.
Blake (Love song – The Cure) – OMG! Love The Cure! He was good. No beatboxing tonight.
Jordan (Hey baby – No Doubt) – She rocked it.
Chris R. (Don’t speak – No Doubt) – Whiny, meet squeaky and pitchy. And add the nasal.
#7 of 87 Old 03-27-2007, 10:48 PM

i missed the first half. i'm gonna have to try to find gina's performance. i really like her and judging by the recap, she sounded good. i'd also like to thank ryan for calling melinda out on her "deer-in-headlights" expressions. melinda, you're good. you know you're good. get over it. end rant.
#8 of 87 Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 PM

I missed it! What was the theme?
#9 of 87 Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 PM

I think the theme was pop music, or something like that?

Sanjaya, Sanjaya, Sanjaya...what can I say? Actually, amazingly I thought this was the best his voice has sounded in weeks, too bad he had to distract us with that hair. Honestly I think he has just turned it all into a joke because he knows he isn't the same calibar as the rest and figures he will just play it up and see how far he goes. Because no one who is taking this seriously would have EVER thought that hair was a good idea.

I actually really liked Blake, there was a quality about his singing that I really liked. But I understand what Simon was saying too.

LOVED Jordin! I would be happy if she won the whole thing.

Haley - I like her, but I wanted to see more from her this week, I don't think she did as well as she could have.

Gina - Loved the beginning of the song although I think it fell apart a bit. Still, best I've heard from her in a few weeks. I STILL want to yell at her to work on her diction though, she loses a lot of words and that bugs me more than anything about her.

Melinda - yeah, she's good and all, but I'm kind of tired of the humble 'aw shucks' attitude. I'm sure she's a genuine person, but I'm tired of her acting like she's surprised to get good comments.

Everyone else just kind of blends into 'meh' for me.
#10 of 87 Old 03-27-2007, 11:32 PM

It's still on here (only 7:30) but OMG Sanjaya's hair was way distracting. I agree with the others that said his voice wasn't really that terrible. We know he has a voice in there somewhere!

I haven't seen Jordin sing yet but my friend and I were talking; we'd both love to see her win, even over Melinda Doolittle. IMO she will appeal to a wider audience because of her age (I'm older than Melinda so not a spry youngin hehe). Plus she's the local gal so I'm really gunning for her.
#11 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whoa about Sanjaya's hair. I'm going to do it to Dd!

Loved Melinda, Lakeisha, Blake, Jordin, Gina, and Chris S. (I hope he can find his beat soon...)

Phil was pretty decent, Sanjaya was...himself.

Didn't like Haley. I just can't get into her voice or perfomances at all.

Chris R. is pretty nasally lately. Some of his "runs" are really good though.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#12 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think the theme was Gwen Stefani's favorites.

I'm not a Jordin fan for some reason. Someting about her annoys me. I feel badly about it because she is so young, but there is just something about her I am not down with.

Phil scares me. He's just...I don't know. I think it's the eyebrows.

DH bought Gina's version of Paint It Black. He wanted me to do it as he did not want to create an account, but he gave up and did it himself.
#13 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Yea I get that too sometimes. If he has a hat on it's better lol. I actually noticed that his eyes are kind of pretty tonight.

He freaks Dd out too. She said that his song choice did not help. LOL (Every breath you take.. I'll be watching you...)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#14 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Just finished the show and here are some thoughts:

Lakesha: her voice was amazing as usual, but I wished she had smiled at least once during the performance

Chris S: too slury for me--if that makes sense? I didn't enjoy it at all.

Gina: I liked her tonight

Haley: Didn't enjoy her at all--I usually like that song, but not with her singing it

Phil: I really liked his performance--thought he was a lot better than the last few weeks

Sanjaya: Okay, I have to admit that I thought he was a cutie tonight--maybe it was having the hair away from his face that I liked. I didn't think his vocals were that bad and I don't think he is the one that needs to go home tomorrow

Melinda: I didn't enjoy the song, but she is an amazing singer

Chris R: Not for me tonight, well, okay, not any night actually

Jordin: She's a cutie. Although I didn't enjoy her doing the No Doubt song, I think she is really good and would like to see her around longer.

Blake: He is my favorite guy and I would definately like to see him around a lot longer.

Who should go just from this week's performances: Chris S, Chris R, Haley

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#15 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Phil scares y'all 'cause he looks suspiciously like Nosferatu.

Sanjaya's hair made him look like a deranged squirrel. I love how the judges can't even comment on his performances - they all know about votefortheworst.com and Howard Stern's efforts to keep him in to mess with things, but won't acknowledge any of it (smartly.)

Love Blake, but I totally understood Simon's comments about being indulgent. He's so cool, and I love the Cure choice - but if he wants votes he's going to have to go a bit more mainstream and appeal to that mass audience. Then again, Chris Daughtry is doing pretty damn well, thank-you-very-much, for someone who didn't win, KWIM?

Melinda's amazing, and I now think she's better than Lakisha (vocally) but I think I'm the only person in the world who *doesn't* like Donna Sommer and honestly, she bores me. I feel like she's a fantastic singer, but she looks like she's 40 and her performances remind me of someone in that age group - she lacks the freshness of what I look for in AI (this coming from someone pushing 36 herself, BTW )

I'm over Chris S. His humor carried me at first, now I just notice a weird honking quality to his voice and he was totally off-tempo. He's gone from the cool, ironic "outside guy" to a sweaty, nervous wreck.

Haley...eh. I like Gina. I always look forward to her performance (maybe it's the cool hair ) She and Blake are the most "interesting" to me, whereas I'm most likely to fast-forward through someone like Chris R - yawn. Stop attempting to channel Justin Timberlake, son! You're just not there!

If you can't tell, I watch the show like one of the mean old men on the Muppets that sat up in the balcony making fun of everyone. :

BTW, did Gwen share her critiques *with* the contestants, or just to the cameras in the interviews? She seemed sort of passive in their meetings, like an observer more than a coach - but I couldn't tell if that was editing or not....

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#16 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
If you can't tell, I watch the show like one of the mean old men on the Muppets that sat up in the balcony making fun of everyone. :
Is there any other way to watch??? : : :

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola
If Phil had hair he would look like...the runaway bride! :
#17 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM

I was ROTFLMAO at Paula calling Sanjaya's hairstyle a "faux-hawk"

I can. not. stand. Chris R.

Although I have several favorites contestants, no one impressed me tonight. Bleh.
#18 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 11:52 AM

#19 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
BTW, did Gwen share her critiques *with* the contestants, or just to the cameras in the interviews? She seemed sort of passive in their meetings, like an observer more than a coach - but I couldn't tell if that was editing or not....
I was wondering the same thing.

I was surprised that I thought Phil was so good last night.

Blake and Gina are the ones who keep me the most interested.
#20 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 PM

I enjoyed the show. I LOVE Gwen Stephani. I noticed that Blake did take her advice & left out beat boxing from his Cure song. So I think it was just the way it was edited.
I enjoyed Melinda, Gina, Blake & even Phil. Who will go home? Should go home is obvious, but will go home, perhaps Chris S or Haley.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#21 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

Yea I get that too sometimes. If he has a hat on it's better lol. I actually noticed that his eyes are kind of pretty tonight.
He has the potential to be very hot looking (in that sort of hot looking way I am personally not attracted to because I'm just weird). I can see he is pretty with his intense looking eyes. I would see a flash of that and then he would smile or talk or something, and his mouth and chin would ruin the effect. Of course I was fixated on Gwen Stefani's thin chin. I don't remember her ever looking so Shelley Duvallesque before. I am not good with faces, but I wouldn't have recognized her had they not said who she was. I remember her with much fuller lips. I appreciated her candor. That is always nice to see.
#22 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
Sanjaya: Okay, I have to admit that I thought he was a cutie tonight--maybe it was having the hair away from his face that I liked. I didn't think his vocals were that bad and I don't think he is the one that needs to go home tomorrow
I thought his singing was better last night than it had been. But I think it would be sad if someone else who was a better singer went home and he stayed. He is still way in the red of singing badness if you put all his performances together.
#23 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I keep thinking about the National Enquirer Bat Boy picture

But I do think he's got a really nice voice.

I feel so mean!

--Olive
#24 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what it is! Until he smiles, then he looks like Nosferatu's cousin from the sticks.

I'm just kidding. Those people have a lot of nerve getting up there and putting themselves out there like that, and I shouldn't comment on their appearance, but I have no problems ridiculing my own all in good fun. I'm just glad it's not my own image I'm looking at when I tune in.

In other news, I was just sitting here thinking about earlier Idol shows and how there was a real lack of talent at times. Take Jon Peter, for example. he was fun and danced around, but he was not a very good singer. Then I went to the AI website and saw this blurb:

Quote:
Jon Peter Lewis, not only a great singer but an exceptionally talented musician, will be hitting the road with his guitars playing special acoustic shows over the next few weeks. Jon just returned from Idaho where he wowed the crowd performing his original songs, including a number of tunes he has just finished writing.
OK, I am intrigued now. ETA: OK, I listened to the previews, and I kind of like them. I have a different kind of taste in music; some would argue I have no taste--I love the Donna Summer's song Heaven Knows, for example. But I think he is sounding pretty good.
#25 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
Wha????? Simon liked Phil?

Edited to add:

Lakisha (Last dance – Donna Summer) – She is the diva!!!
Chris S. (Every little thing she does is magic – The Police) – Simon was right. It was a mess.
Gina (I’ll stand by you – The Pretenders) – Her voice sounded amazing.
Sanjaya (Bath water – No Doubt) – Holy mohawk. I thought he sounded *gasp* not bad. :
Haley (True colors – Cyndi Lauper) – She was OK.
Phil (Every breath you take – The Police) – He was OK. Did his mom knit that cap? /end of snark
Melinda (Heaven knows – Donna Summer) – Great voice, not my favorite song.
Blake (Love song – The Cure) – OMG! Love The Cure! He was good. No beatboxing tonight.
Jordan (Hey baby – No Doubt) – She rocked it.
Chris R. (Don’t speak – No Doubt) – Whiny, meet squeaky and pitchy. And add the nasal.

I agree on everything you said Cranberry. I think the judges were too harsh on Haley. There was some sweetness to her voice that I liked, she was ok, not bad.
And just because Blake chose The Cure song, puts him on the top of my list. He is just cool in my eyes - just for that.
#26 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 PM

I actually like that song by The Cure. I thought Blake made it kind of boring. He sang it well, though. Eh, I don't know. It did seem interesting in a way, I guess it was just slower or more mellow or something.

So now with the Gina Glocksen Paint it Black that DH bought, that means we have songs of 3 AI artists. I bought Fantasia's 3 songs when they came out on iTunes, I bought a Kelly Clarkson song for my daughter, and now Gina. I loved Ruben, but his album didn't move me, so I didn't buy it. So I went to iTunes to see if I could find some of my old fave contestants, Kimberley Locke and Elliot Yamin. Elliot's songs don't thrill me much either, but I realize I've probably heard Kimberley Locke on the radio at least once. And I kind of like Taylor's stuff. Hmmmm...
#27 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 04:14 PM

Oooooookay:

So, I don't normally vote, but the spirit moved me last night. I punched the number (Blake ) into my phone so that it'd be all ready to go when they opened the lines--that is, so I could just hit redial & get in right away. I did this right after Blake sang & the phone answered & said "thank you for voting for contestant 8, blah blah blah."!! I throught that was so weird, so I hit redial to see if it would do it again. It did! I don't get it----is it always like that? Did the votes just not count until the show ended, or was it a goof up of some kind? I thought it was very strange indeed.
#28 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Who's going home tonight? My money's on Haley or Chris S. (although I wish it were Sanjaya or Phil).
#29 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 10:16 PM

*sigh* i still don't get blake. i know you ladies love him and i'm trying to understand, but there was nothing spectacular about the way he sang that song. i love the cure and i love 311's cover of "love song", but blake didn't even come close to doing it justice.
#30 of 87 Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm hoping Haley. She's very pretty, and I'm sure she's nice, but vocally does nothing for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page