Top Chef Season 3! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The new season of Top Chef begins tomorrow night! I'm so, so, so excited! Who's going to be joining me on this culinary adventure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i'm watching! did you see the showdown between the season 1 finalists and season 2 finalists? i hope they have a good group competing this time, season 2's were not very likeable to me. i love bravo!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I saw the All Stars thing. I was so happy Season 1's chefs won. I much preferred Season 1 to Season 2.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 AM

I just watched! and dvr'd it for my ds - he'll watch it tomorrow afternoon probably.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 AM

Is Padma Lakshmi still on that show?

I led hed her through the crowd when I ushered a lecture given by her husband in the Spring. Salman Rushdie.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviesingleton View Post
Is Padma Lakshmi still on that show?
Yep, she's still hosting the show. She seems much less annoying this season than last for some reason.

I think I'm going to like Trey, Sarah, and Micah best this season.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm distracted by the big scar on Padme's arm. : I keep wondering what happened to her.

I wish Anthony Bourdain was a regular on the show and not just a guest judge. He's brutal but so funny! I love his sarcasm and irony.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I'm distracted by the big scar on Padme's arm. : I keep wondering what happened to her.
She was in a car accident when she was younger.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
II wish Anthony Bourdain was a regular on the show and not just a guest judge. He's brutal but so funny! I love his sarcasm and irony.
mmmmmmmMe too

I like CJ. He may not can cook like Trey or Hung, but !! 6'8"!!!

I infinitely prefer this show to Hell's Kitchen ... even after last season's fiasco. And it seems like they've really got a bumper crop of established CHEFS this time around (no homemakers who love to cook, no dIY personal chefs, no line cooks, garde mangers, or wannabes).

I loved the weird protein challenge ... I was so bummed that the guy who picked eel and rattlesnake didn't pull it off; it could have been a great, great marriage. Did you hear him describing it, "Hair of Medusa" and "Electric Venom Soup"!!! wow so cool
Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 PM

I know - I thought that could have been presented so cool together!! the two long snakes....

also - I waitressed at a resturant that served gator tail and it was one of our most popular entrees - we had it three different ways, IIRC.

I was dissapointed that they picked something like that and didn't do it justice.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I know - I thought that could have been presented so cool together!! the two long snakes....

also - I waitressed at a resturant that served gator tail and it was one of our most popular entrees - we had it three different ways, IIRC.

I was dissapointed that they picked something like that and didn't do it justice.
Yeah, me too! I'm from south Louisiana originally, and blackened alligator tail with creollaise is one of the most delicious things ever! It's not terrible fried, either. Looking at what was done, it seems the tail meat was sliced thinly like a small paillard or a chip, then sauteed. I can imagine it would indeed be tough that way. It would have been freaking AWESOME marinated for a while and then sauteed ... or taking a nod from Hung, sous-vide'ing it would have been pretty spectacular, too. Alas, I'm sure that's the last we'll see of the alligator meat this season.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:43 PM

I love Top Chef, but I feel kind of guilty for watching it, since they seem to base just about every dish on meat. Any other veg*n fans of the show out there? I wish that someday, their challenge will be to prepare a gourmet, multi-course meal with no animal products whatsoever.
I haven't picked a favorite yet this season, but kind of like Trey and Hung.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 06-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviesingleton View Post
She was in a car accident when she was younger.
Thanks. I didn't know that.

Is it me or does she speak in a very slow, almost stoned, way? There's just something odd about her intonation. DH thinks so too. I don't know if she's trying to tone down her British accent (I assume she has once since she's married to British author Salman Rushdie) or what but the result is a very monotone voice.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Is it me or does she speak in a very slow, almost stoned, way? There's just something odd about her intonation. DH thinks so too. I don't know if she's trying to tone down her British accent (I assume she has once since she's married to British author Salman Rushdie) or what but the result is a very monotone voice.
Yes, to me she's always seemed totally, totally stoned. I'm sure there's another explanation, like she lives on Planet Padma and the sound waves just take a little longer to get here, but I like to think of her as constantly high. It contributes to my enjoyment of the show.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:

I've never actually heard her speak. Food and Wine did a feature on her recently and I read that.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:16 AM

I was very disappointed to see Padma back this season. She reminds me of a taller, skinnier Paula Abdul.

I hope we get to see more of Anthony Bourdain and Ted Allen.

I haven't picked my favorite contestants yet. I'm suspicious of Hung since he seems to be friends with Foamy Marcel.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
Old 06-16-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
I'm suspicious of Hung since he seems to be friends with Foamy Marcel.

Yes, me too. Hung already seems very arrogant to me.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 PM

She's married to Rushdie??? : Isn't he....like...not very attractive?? Seems like an odd combination.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
Yes, to me she's always seemed totally, totally stoned. I'm sure there's another explanation, like she lives on Planet Padma and the sound waves just take a little longer to get here, but I like to think of her as constantly high. It contributes to my enjoyment of the show.
Planet Padma

I, too, was really disappointed by all the MEAT on the show. My mom and I were watching all the season 1 & 2 reruns, and every time they had a challenge we would both go, "yep, can't eat that...wouldn't touch that one with a ten-foot pole...oh, MORE beef, sheesh!" There was one chef, though, in season 1 who liked to cook healthy vegetarian options. Sadly, she didn't last too long, but I enjoyed seeing her meals.

CPST & mom

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 AM

And Sam (season 2) is HOT!!! He's the only thing that made season 2 watchable!

CPST & mom

Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmergal2005 View Post
She's married to Rushdie??? : Isn't he....like...not very attractive?? Seems like an odd combination.
Well I don't know if he's more unattractive than some other authors out there. He has an odd look but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 AM

Maybe she likes to live dangerously and is attracted by his fatwa.

Padma is the 4th Mrs. Rushdie, according to Wikipedia.

He is being knighted by Queen Elizabeth. Does that turn Spacy Padma into Lady Padma?

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 AM

Oh, I get soooo frustrated by the meat-centered-ness (I'm sure that is NOT a word! ) of most cooking shows! I LOVE Top Chef but I DO wish they'd have veg*n options - I mean, you couldn't even be ON Top Chef if you were a veg*n chef because of the weird meat central challenges. Iron Chef too. Doesn't make me not watch them though.

Is Hung really friends with Marcel? Yuck. I missed when that was revealed!

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:46 PM

From what I understand, Hung and Marcel are not necessarily friends, but have worked in the same circles at the top places in Vegas for many years, so they're acquaintances. If I remember correctly, Marcel works for Robuchon at the Mansion, and Hung (before TC) was sous at Guy Savoy. So, they definitely run in similar circles, but I wouldn't be looking for Hung to start spewing foams out of his nose or anything.

Poor Marcel. Foam is SOOO five years ago. Rustic is where it's at these days.

In Hung's defense - yes, he does seem arrogant, but I think that's because he knows what he's doing. Did you see him taking down that geoduck?! That's really, really hard. His skills are awesome, so far, and if I had that game I'd be a little arrogant about it, too. We'll see how his teamwork pans out - and that'll be the kicker. If he can get along with people reasonably and not make bitter enemies, this season is in the bag for him.

As for the meat thing ... as a chef, I've encountered line cooks and sous many times who are veg*n in their personal lives. Some are EXCELLENT cooks. The thing is, though, unless they go work for a veg*n restaurant, it's part of their job to handle meat, butcher meat, cook meat, and - here's the kicker - TASTE meat. We don't send out anything we haven't tasted first, and the cook who made the dish or the preparation is responsible for its quality control. I've had people quit over this issue, but the fact remains that working with meat is part of working in food service, and what you do when you're in street clothes is just fine, but when you put on your whites and walk into the kitchen, you have to be prepared to taste everything.

From the perspective of a chef, we also wish that we had more options to offer you veg*ns when you come see us. Of course there are whole restaurants that are meat-free, but when you come to an omni restaurant, we want to make you happy, too - just because you aren't a meat eater doesn't mean we can't serve you. The pickings are slim at an omni restaurant for the veg*ns, it's true. At my place we try to personally tailor your food to your tastes if you request a meat-free meal. But not all places can do that, and sometimes, when we're slammed, what we might offer you is not as awesome as what you might be offered if we were slow and we had the time to think up something spectacular for you. It's a tough road to hoe, pleasing everyone all the time.

But anyway, meat is part of life in the kitchen, and sure, I'd like to see a veg-only challenge, but for the most part, the measure of a chef's skills is what he or she can do with a large, unfabricated hunk of animal protein using only some heat, a knife, and some seasoning. It is disappointing to me that vegetables are seen on this show mostly as accompaniments. Maybe someone will impress us, though - we'll see.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
Maybe she likes to live dangerously and is attracted by his fatwa.

Quote:

In Hung's defense - yes, he does seem arrogant, but I think that's because he knows what he's doing. Did you see him taking down that geoduck?! That's really, really hard. His skills are awesome, so far, and if I had that game I'd be a little arrogant about it, too. We'll see how his teamwork pans out - and that'll be the kicker. If he can get along with people reasonably and not make bitter enemies, this season is in the bag for him.
Great post. Hung seems like he has the culinary skills to go the distance. He does come off as arrogant and I agree that he has reason to be. I didn't get the impression that he's like that with the other teammates. His arrogant comments have been to the audience during the one-on-one camera time. I haven't seen him say anything to the cast members yet that could be construed as conceited. I get a big kick out of his comments though. My sense of humor is geared more towards sarcasm.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM

I think Tre is a little more arrogant then Hung. I'm not sure who I'm pulling for yet though.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:07 AM

I like Hung best so far-but flank steak for an upscale bbq? That's what I fix my husband when I'm feeling lazy and don't have a lot of time (not to mention money!) I mean, prepared well in a nice marinade it can be tasty but it ain't fancy-it wouldn't be my first choice for guests.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 PM

Flank steak CAN be fancy. But you didn't notice Hung in the top 3, did you?

Mister "you stole my idea for watermelon shooters" is getting on my last nerve. These people seem mostly professional - I really DON'T want to see another season devolve into personal conflict issues. I want to watch them out-cook each other. Last season's Marcel v Everyone storyline was just nauseating, and it made every single one of them look like jackholes. I don't want to see another bad guy being set up.

I also thought it was obnoxious and presumptive of Hung to declare to the cameras that Micah was crying not because she missed her daughter, but because she lost the Quickfire challenge. WTF? Weak, Hung, weak.

Kinda sorry to see Sandee go, cause I think more out butch women should be allowed on TV. But her skills were way off. Alas.

I predict: Next week, Joey will cause a big interpersonal conflict, someone will beat him up, and he will be kicked off anyway. That's Bravo for 'ya.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Subbing as a fan of Top Chef as well.

Anyone else catch the sneer from Hung about Micah's reaction to missing her daughter? My basic response was "Well, he's either not a father or not a good one." Why is it seen as so wrong to be emotional about missing your kids?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 PM

I lurve Top Chef! And I'm grateful to Bravo for running it twice in a row, because lil' pill is going to sleep for the first 30 minutes of the first show! So this way I get to watch the end first, and then go back and see the beginning!

So far, I think Season 3 has more potential for greatness than Season 2 did...that season really sucked. Can't wait to see what's next!

User Tag List