Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 101 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#3001 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugg, I missed last night but, I too get so tired of everything they say being disected and ridiculed.

A lot of us make parenting choices that others see as dangerous - not vaxing, cosleeping etc... Just because we don't think it's right doesn't always make it wrong.

I don't agree with everything they do but I also don't think they're the devil incarnate.
#3002 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganMamaRed View Post
I noticed that on Good Morning America they commented several times that they are on "a very tight budget". ????? What is that?
I doubt that they're making millions off their show. There's a difference between "financially secure" and "lavish lifestyle".
#3003 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
And in the beginning of the show, Jon "decided" to take the kids to a baseball game, but in the middle, it turns out that the manager's wife invited them because she watches the show. Just like they "decided" to go to Sesame Place, and wherever else they have been.
It was simply a choice of words, so what? It was very obvious that they were "invited" to the game since they had the Gosselin jerseys all printed up for Jon and the kids when they arrived. That definitely couldn't have been done last minute. But who cares whether he said it was "decided" by him that day or if it was already pre-arranged. I just don't see that it matters. I think Jon deserved something like that for him and boys. It seems like everything is geared towards either all of the kids, the girls or is something Kate wants to do when they do recreational type stuff. Whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide
I also find it a bit strange that Kate says she and the girls baked and made popcorn and watched a movie. Based on who the Phillies were playing and when, I'd say that show was taped on October 5th. Kate was in NY shilling for Kmart early in the morning on 10/6. So while there is the possibility that she left her house at, say, 3am to get into NYC in time (barely) for the interviews, I'm going to venture a guess that she actually went the day before. Which means the girls were left with someone other than their mother, and Kate's story about popcorn and a movie and not hearing them come in at 1am because she was asleep was a lie.
Wow. For someone who seems to be very much against this show you know a whooole lot about it. I'm not quite THAT in to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal
Ugg, I missed last night but, I too get so tired of everything they say being disected and ridiculed.
agreed. It's very obvious who watches the show for the entertainment and who is sitting there rewinding and fast fowarding and jotting down notes of all the "wrong" things being said and done.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#3004 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
I would never in a million years allow what's been done in that family to happen in mine. Not for 100 times the money.
me either. I've in no way said I agree with all of what goes on in this show, but I am not that hard on these people either. I would never choose to do a show like that either, but they did. I enjoy watching it.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#3005 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
These people are making AMAZING money. And normally, I'd say, "Good for them." But they are doing it on the backs of 4 yr. olds. Who have no legal say, no legal protection, and no legal recourse. This is new ground they are breaking. And their seeming unwillingness to consider, for a second, that they might not be headed in the right direction leaves me with a lot of doubts.
not to mention thousands upon thousands in "love offerings" at church appearances- that's just sick, taking money from people who likely really DO need it when you are WEALTHY.

Quote:
Which is why I say I am astounded that these parents do not seem at all concerned that many folks are insisting that they've crossed a line.
Oh but they don't read any negative emails or press because they "KNOW" they're doing the best thing for their family. I cannot imagine being so self absorbed that I would say I knew for a fact that I am doing the best possible job I could ever do as a parent and therefore would not ever listen to any criticism, or even advice. To say something like that when you're putting your kids on display at such a young age is incredible.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3006 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeepnkidz View Post
As for the "Let Leah serve you" comment. They were playing with pretend food. Leah was trying to give one of the boys some and he wasn't letting her. Jon's comment was more about play with your sister than Leah needing to "serve" males. I have told my boys similar things, "Just give your sister your order already!" comes to mind when my daughter is playing restaurant and my boys won't tell her what they want!
I'm aware. I'm also aware that it was sandwiched into all kind of "girld do this" and "boys do that" talk, which is what made it stand out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loitering View Post
8 posts left! Where are you, Annettemarie? I bet you're watching this thread like a hawk waiting to close it

(Erm, to clarify: because we need to start a new one, NOT because we're evil UA-breakers.)
At first I was all WTH?!?! so I am glad you edited. I always forget about the new thread thing.

BTW, we're starting to veer off into "you all suck" mode again. This is a discussion board. We're having a discussion. Participate, or don't, but please be sure we're not attacking other people for discussing the show. Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3007 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
It was simply a choice of words, so what? It was very obvious that they were "invited" to the game since they had the Gosselin jerseys all printed up for Jon and the kids when they arrived. That definitely couldn't have been done last minute. But who cares whether he said it was "decided" by him that day or if it was already pre-arranged. I just don't see that it matters. I think Jon deserved something like that for him and boys. It seems like everything is geared towards either all of the kids, the girls or is something Kate wants to do when they do recreational type stuff. Whatever.
Wow. For someone who seems to be very much against this show you know a whooole lot about it. I'm not quite THAT in to it.
agreed. It's very obvious who watches the show for the entertainment and who is sitting there rewinding and fast fowarding and jotting down notes of all the "wrong" things being said and done.
Well, when you take the show for face value (which is what I did for some time) everything seems harmless enough. But when you start putting ALL the pieces of the puzzle together you get a very different picture.

People are concerned for these kids. I'm not sitting here rooting for Jon and Kate to make one more mistake so I can come here and pick them apart.
#3008 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
ITA!
Just because they were invited doesn't mean they didn't have to "decide" to go. KWIM? I get invited to a lot of places...doesn't mean I go to all of them.
#3009 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 PM

OMG we went over what are we to do!!!!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#3010 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 PM

I think this thread will now self destruct.

Seriously, someone want to go start a new thread? MamaBug?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3011 of 3013 Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM

LOL, before the thread self-destructs...

The problem with the difference between 'decided' and 'invited' is that they are two different things. (Didn't we recently have this discussion when J/K confused 'need' vs. 'want'?) Why is it so difficult for them to say, "We got invited to a baseball game," as opposed to Jon just coming up with it off the top of his head? Just like how he happened to buy the Playskool Farmer's Market. (Though I'm pretty sure he didn't say he bought it, but worded it so it didn't sound like it was just given to them.) Does he/TLC/whoever is producing this show think that people are so stupid that they believe he just up and decided to go to a baseball game one night and the manager's wife happened to have jerseys already made up for them? Why not just SAY SO, is my point.

FTR, I watched last night's show one time. It doesn't take much "dissecting" when the show has become sloppily shallow.

I don't care that they were given it for free, I care that Kate then goes on national TV talking about how she puts the kids toys on layaway and has to pack bag lunches because money is tight. I don't care that Kate isn't really a stay-at-home-mom, I care that it's being lied about. I don't care that they are paid to give talks, I care that they give talks in church and then lie on their show. It's because of people like them that a lot of people get weary of Christianity as a religion, because they talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#3012 of 3013 Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM

Ok I started a new thread title Jon& Kate +8: The thread endures!

If you don't like that title AM feel free to change it!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#3013 of 3013 Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 AM

I like it.

OK, ladies, I'm locking this one down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page