Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 3013 Old 11-28-2007, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No joke. "Daddy wants you to obey Mommy while he's at work." Gag.

But, uh, still not seeing any new episodes in my neck of the woods.

It's funny, my almost six year old son is always like, "Yay! I love this show!!" when it first comes on, and then halfway through he's like, "She's bossy." "Why won't they let them do that?" "That's not very nice." "They seem kind of mean." And I'm all, "Yep. I feel the same way!" Love to hate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 3013 Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 AM

I LOVE this show.. and until i have 8 kids (twins and 6 toddlers) i will refrane from judging... i think they do the best they can with what they have.. and it is a "show"with all that they have and do like recylce, eat organice and so on and so forth i think they do a good job... i asked Dh want he would do if i had Quads.. his exact response was......... I would drowned myself int he bath tub...LOL..I LOVE KATE and JON +8..... and bless that family for not reducing the pregnancy's.. soem of us love them just the way they are

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#303 of 3013 Old 12-03-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I can't stand Jon & Kate. They seem genuinly miserable & I think it has little to do with all those kids. She seems mean & he looks like he wants to run away.
You know I watched a couple episodes today and I agree with this. Too me, it seems like they aren't even able to fake liking each other or their life that much and they must know that in reality divorce isn't going to be an option.

Personally, I don't think quantity equals quality. I wouldn't nominate Kate as "mom of the year" personally. She is a fanatic about cleaning and I think that's bc its easier than actually playing with or dealing with the toddlers.

Having worked in daycare, having 6 toddlers in one's care is in a way easier than having just 1 or 2. I appreciate that its not simple to take care of 6 toddlers but I would be more impressed to see her hanging out with her kids then scrubbing her stove. She admits that she spends a good part of the day cleaning.

Also, the one episode where Jon is trying to put up the shelves in the garage and she sends the kids out to say "hi" - I was even annoyed for him! I mean she wants him to put the shelves up in one afternoon but the decides he needs to try and do that and watch 6 toddlers at the same time?

~ Maggie
#304 of 3013 Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 AM

I LOVE this show!!!!!
For having 8 kids, yes they seem stressed but damn they seem to handle it well and they have a sense of humor about it! Dude, I love that!
I commend them and think they seem like a genuinely happy family. Any human is going to be somewhat if not VERY stressed with EIGHT kids. Noone knows how they would really react or how they would be portrayed on reality tv WITH 8 kids
Other than that I just want to comment on how I LOVE this show!
#305 of 3013 Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM

I got sucked into a few episodes yesterday, and man, I really dislike the "Obey or else!" crap. Also, I feel very very sorry for those kids because they never get any individual attention.

On the shelving episode, I think it was completely unrealistic - and more than a little mean - for Kate to put the 3 kids who didn't stay in their cribs for nap until she came to get them back in their room for 45 minutes. That's a LONG punishment for natural inquisitiveness. The kids knew that Jon was doing something cool out in the garage, and knew that their uncle was there, so I think Kate's reaction was ridiculous. If it's so important that the kids stay in their room, put up a baby gate, or install a Dutch door or screen door.

On the tummy tuck episode, the doctor's wife struck me as "off". Maybe I'm wrong and she's just a wonderful, generous person but to me it seemed like she was more interested in the whole "wow, people from tv!" aspect.
#306 of 3013 Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM

Tell me about it, she is incredibly punative. The punishments are way over the top, they're toddlers for crying out loud. It's not their fault she can't deal.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#307 of 3013 Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
On the shelving episode, I think it was completely unrealistic - and more than a little mean - for Kate to put the 3 kids who didn't stay in their cribs for nap until she came to get them back in their room for 45 minutes. That's a LONG punishment for natural inquisitiveness. The kids knew that Jon was doing something cool out in the garage, and knew that their uncle was there, so I think Kate's reaction was ridiculous. If it's so important that the kids stay in their room, put up a baby gate, or install a Dutch door or screen door.
ITA, and I think Jon may have been able to finish up quicker if not having to entertain the kids AND to the shelving. I could not believe she just stood there like she has nothing better to do.
#308 of 3013 Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Anyone catch the room painting episode this week? After the harping on the schedule and the NASTINESS toward Jon about where the kids napped, I am convinced that she is a Babywise devotee.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#309 of 3013 Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
Anyone catch the room painting episode this week? After the harping on the schedule and the NASTINESS toward Jon about where the kids napped, I am convinced that she is a Babywise devotee.
Wouldn't surprise me.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#310 of 3013 Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Luckily, Jon kept telling Kate to get the kids out while he was trying to paint. Although, I would be pissed if I never got a day off from parenting by myself, oh wait, I don't. Anyway, I understand that Saturday is Kate's day when she gets help.

Then, when he was trying to put the bunk beds together, the same thing happened. Kate kept letting the kids come back in. I just wonder why she didn't plan a fun craft project to do to take their minds off Daddy.

Shoot, they could even help her clean. My DD loves cleaning with a rag and some vinegar in a spray bottle. She even puts toys away. I just give her one task at a time. She especially loves it when I ask her to throw stuff away for me. I hand her one thing and she runs off to the trash can!

Why didn't they pay for assembly on the bunk beds? Plenty of places do that.

I did not appreciate Kate's BIL and DH talking bad about her behind her back.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#311 of 3013 Old 12-08-2007, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
my husband was SO STRESSED out after watching a couple minutes of this that he had to go outside.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

#312 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9m9m9 View Post

Having worked in daycare, having 6 toddlers in one's care is in a way easier than having just 1 or 2. I appreciate that its not simple to take care of 6 toddlers but I would be more impressed to see her hanging out with her kids then scrubbing her stove. She admits that she spends a good part of the day cleaning.
Ya...working in a daycare and parenting. That's the same.

Anybody watch tonight? Disney World!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#313 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9m9m9 View Post
Seriously? Working in daycare, which I have also done, is a world of difference from taking care of your own children, especially since the daycare kids go home at the end of the day.

Personally, I think that if we get to witness the worst, most stressful moments of the Gosselin family's daily, which you know is what the producers choose to show because the dramatic moments make for better TV than the run of the mill moments, then Kate does a pretty darn good job of raising such a large family.
#314 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

Anybody watch tonight? Disney World!
I watched! Kate is crazy! But that's partly why I like her so much! "OMG, she's ruined. We have no extra clothes and the whole day left..."

And the camerawoman, "Do you think you overreacted at all?"

"No!"
#315 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
I watched! Kate is crazy! But that's partly why I like her so much! "OMG, she's ruined. We have no extra clothes and the whole day left..."

And the camerawoman, "Do you think you overreacted at all?"

"No!"
I know, I love it. I was laughing my bum off! She is just so dramatic that it is really funny to watch her with little messes and such. And Jon is so opposite of that, like how he was saying he would just let the kids bathe in ice cream Too funny.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#316 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
I know, I love it. I was laughing my bum off! She is just so dramatic that it is really funny to watch her with little messes and such. And Jon is so opposite of that, like how he was saying he would just let the kids bathe in ice cream Too funny.
My DH said "I'm with her, I hate sticky messes".

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#317 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM

I liked when Kate asked the camerawoman kinda surprised that didn't other families have clothes drama like them (and they showed a clip of the shoe battle from the 4th) and the camerawoman kinda said, uh no. She just makes me laugh!
#318 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM

I loved how the producer was chiming in this time. And it's never even occurred to me not to go barefoot on a hotel room rug.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#319 of 3013 Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Can I just say one thing? Please, for the love of all things good, buy a new camera!!! Seriously, if you are missing key moments of your children's lives because of your camera, go buy a new one!
[/rant]

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#320 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Can I just say one thing? Please, for the love of all things good, buy a new camera!!! Seriously, if you are missing key moments of your children's lives because of your camera, go buy a new one!
[/rant]

I said the same thing to DH last night... if you have so much trouble with that camera... get a new one!
#321 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Or she could just set her DVR to record the show. Who needs pics when you have your own series?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#322 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori View Post

I said the same thing to DH last night... if you have so much trouble with that camera... get a new one!
HAHA if only it were that easy! We need a new one. Sadly it come before buying food though.

#323 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Seriously? Working in daycare, which I have also done, is a world of difference from taking care of your own children, especially since the daycare kids go home at the end of the day.
Yep.

I think having to take care of 6+ toddlers seems easier at times, because you're on autopilot. You're so focused on one thing after another and another that by the time you stop to look at the clock, 4 hours have gone by in a heartbeat. Whereas, with one or two toddlers, you're more emotionally/mentally strained, trying to entertain them, deal with their fussiness, taking time to talk to them and play with them. You just can't really do that when there's so many at once.

But that's 8 hrs a day. When it's 24/7, there is no doubt in my mind that it's infinitely harder to have sextuplets than one or two toddlers. I can't imagine that anyone could make a case that it isn't. Imagine having to run your household like a daycare. You have to corral them all to know where they are, what they're doing, who hit who, not to mention the diaper changes, meals, etc.

I imagine that....I would be depressed. I would be unhappy. I wouldn't feel that I could give the love and attention to each child if I had eight small children at once. It's not natural. I don't judge this woman for her moodiness, her fanaticism about cleaning (which is probably OCD), or her overscheduling. I do wish she had more appropriate ideas about discipline (stay in your crib for 45 minutes is NOT okay for two year olds). But I see her as at least *trying* to do right by these kids, and that's a whole lot more than a lot of people could do. I don't think any of us can imagine, especially as attached/natural lifestyle mothers, the huge disconnect between the way you wish you could parent, and the way you have to parent just to keep the kids reasonably fed and clean. I really hope that as they get older and more self sufficient that she'll have a little time for herself and get to know them more individually, and that their marriage will improve. I feel for them. I think they were dealt a rough hand. Children are a blessing, but this is also a remarkable challenge.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#324 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Or she could just set her DVR to record the show. Who needs pics when you have your own series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
HAHA if only it were that easy! We need a new one. Sadly it come before buying food though.
But, if you can afford to drive your family of 10 down to Walt Disney World, I'm guessing (and it is a huge assumption, but based on "evidence" I think it is valid), that you can afford $150 for a new digital camera. Just a simple one with a memory card is all that is needed to catch those day-to-day moments that she seems to be missing because of her current one. Heck, sell the current one on Ebay (I'm sure someone out there knows how to work the thing) and use that money to buy a new one. Or ask your producers to gift you one or something, but stop complaining about the dang camera on national TV! (We need a photography smilie! )

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#325 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:

But, if you can afford to drive your family of 10 down to Walt Disney World, I'm guessing (and it is a huge assumption, but based on "evidence" I think it is valid), that you can afford $150 for a new digital camera. Just a simple one with a memory card is all that is needed to catch those day-to-day moments that she seems to be missing because of her current one. Heck, sell the current one on Ebay (I'm sure someone out there knows how to work the thing) and use that money to buy a new one. Or ask your producers to gift you one or something, but stop complaining about the dang camera on national TV! (We need a photography smilie! )
I told DH when she was complaining about her camera over and over... "hint-hint TLC".

And you have a point, I forgot they WERE at Disney, staying at the Wilderness Lodge... I can't afford that either.

#326 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:

But, if you can afford to drive your family of 10 down to Walt Disney World, I'm guessing (and it is a huge assumption, but based on "evidence" I think it is valid), that you can afford $150 for a new digital camera.
I seriously doubt they paid for that trip.
#327 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
Yep.

I think having to take care of 6+ toddlers seems easier at times, because you're on autopilot. You're so focused on one thing after another and another that by the time you stop to look at the clock, 4 hours have gone by in a heartbeat. Whereas, with one or two toddlers, you're more emotionally/mentally strained, trying to entertain them, deal with their fussiness, taking time to talk to them and play with them. You just can't really do that when there's so many at once.

But that's 8 hrs a day. When it's 24/7, there is no doubt in my mind that it's infinitely harder to have sextuplets than one or two toddlers. I can't imagine that anyone could make a case that it isn't. Imagine having to run your household like a daycare. You have to corral them all to know where they are, what they're doing, who hit who, not to mention the diaper changes, meals, etc.

I imagine that....I would be depressed. I would be unhappy. I wouldn't feel that I could give the love and attention to each child if I had eight small children at once. It's not natural. I don't judge this woman for her moodiness, her fanaticism about cleaning (which is probably OCD), or her overscheduling. I do wish she had more appropriate ideas about discipline (stay in your crib for 45 minutes is NOT okay for two year olds). But I see her as at least *trying* to do right by these kids, and that's a whole lot more than a lot of people could do. I don't think any of us can imagine, especially as attached/natural lifestyle mothers, the huge disconnect between the way you wish you could parent, and the way you have to parent just to keep the kids reasonably fed and clean. I really hope that as they get older and more self sufficient that she'll have a little time for herself and get to know them more individually, and that their marriage will improve. I feel for them. I think they were dealt a rough hand. Children are a blessing, but this is also a remarkable challenge.

Yes! I totally agree. Every time I watch this show late at night, I have nightmares. I am in no way saying that having those beautiful children is a negative, but how on earth would you be an AP mom in that situation?!? I really don't think it's physically possible, unless you had at least 2 other full-time caregivers. You just can not hold 6 babies at a time, no matter what you do! I detest CIO- I think it is really cruel, but what else would you do in that situation? You can't possibly rock/nurse 6 babies to sleep!

I have twin brothers. There is an almost 14 year age difference, so I remember a lot of their babyhood. My mom would be up most of the night, b/c one would wake up, she'd feed him, get him back down, then start on the other. By the time she fell into a good sleep, the first one was up again.

That's just 2 babies- we're talking about 6, plus 2 older kids! I have almost every-gosh, what's the right word- not "risk factor", but I can't think of what to call it- of having multiples. I'm terrified that if it happens, I just won't be able to do the things for them that I can do for DS.

I certainly don't agree with everything Kate does, and I thought she was totally nuts telling her daughter she was "ruined", and flipping out over something so silly as ice-cream on a shirt, but I honestly don't know how she does as good of a job as she does overall.
#328 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM

They take more vacations that my family ever will. I guess that what the TLC big bucks pay for!

I'm sure we all have our moments when we are 'kate-like' but it's just not on camera. I do think she treats her husband like a pice of S@#)T!
#329 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraven721 View Post
They take more vacations that my family ever will. I guess that what the TLC big bucks pay for!
Actually that was the first vacation that they have taken as a whole family. Their other trips either included only the twins or no kids at all (Key West & Kate's plastic surgery).
#330 of 3013 Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Actually that was the first vacation that they have taken as a whole family. Their other trips either included only the twins or no kids at all (Key West & Kate's plastic surgery).
:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page