Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2008, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good job on the recap! I watched the show. Can you believe she wanted a third child to know "what it was like just to have one baby to hold" and "what it was like just to have one baby alone" (paraphrasing) and then, she got six of them! wow.

Dude, the episode of them actually going to do the oprah show will be insane, i can only imagine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 01:11 PM

I haven't seen this show yet but I've been wondering about it. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 02-23-2008, 06:03 PM

I've only read the first and last page of this very long thread.... but I really like this show, and the Gosslin family. I did see them on Oprah (gotta love TiVo).

I haven't seen all the J&K+8 episodes, but I've seen a fair number. I think she is amazingly organized. I think they are clearly in love, and he is very committed to his marriage and kids - even though it is hard. Sometimes she is short with him or the kids, but I will not judge her for that - it is HARD to be a parent to multiple kids, and they have EIGHT for crying out loud! When any of us can pull that off without being on edge sometimes - well, I don't believe I could. I think she does better with her eight than I do with my three.

The kids are so darling, and I am impressed with how many things they do the hard way (making pancakes from scratch instead of using a bag of Krusteaz from Costco for example).

She does talk more than he does - but that is just personality types. And she is home with them all day while he is at work; she sees more of what they do during that time so it makes sense to me that she'd report more of the daily details.

And I do think a lot is in the editing. They can't make her say things she doesn't, but they can edit out things that make her look "good". Although I think they do a good job of representing different sides of both parents. Sometimes he snaps and yells at Kate, and sometimes she bosses him around. All in all, I think they are doing great.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
Then, they talked about how Jon lost his job and was out of work for a YEAR. I did not know this. So they went from 2 income w/ 2 kids to NO income w/ 8 kids and how it was a very scary, very low time. But, also, how so many things appeared out of no where right when they needed them most. Like, she talked about how they were going through a TON of paper towels b/c all the helpers and visitors and crew who came into the house needed to wash their hands and they were using up the paper towels in huge amounts. And one day when Kate said to Jon (when no one was around), "What are we going to do? We're almost out of paper towels." And that night a case of paper towels just showed up on their doorstep.
I cannot imagine how scary that would be. Wow.

That reminds me of something I wonder when I watch the show - do they get paid for appearing? I imagine they must, but I don't actually know.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I cannot imagine how scary that would be. Wow.

That reminds me of something I wonder when I watch the show - do they get paid for appearing? I imagine they must, but I don't actually know.
I'm sure they get paid a good little amount.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM

I love this show! Kate seems to get alot of flack for bing bossy, or as many I know have just plain called her a bitch I personally think she does an amazing job with that many kids. She doesn't rely on crappy food because it's easier, she doesn't spank. I think she's awesome!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
I think that she was being unusually bitchy, and I don't want my dd to think that that's normal or acceptable. When one of the kids took that knob off the dresser and left it on the floor, I thought her stomping around and interrogating all the kids was overkill. She has 8 small children - OF COURSE they're going to take things apart, and no, you're not going to be able to get a straight answer out of a herd of preschoolers, most of whom probably didn't see who did it anyway.
Yeah, but she has EIGHT KIDS. It can't be hard to find the end of your rope with all that going on.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2J View Post
I seriously doubt they paid for that trip.
I don't think they have to pay for much at all -- it is all sponsored. Which is great, because otherwise, I don't think a family of 10 would be able to enjoy the lifestyle they do. And that is a shame because big families are really special.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
Yeah, but she has EIGHT KIDS. It can't be hard to find the end of your rope with all that going on.
True, but she obsesses about a lot of little nitpicky stuff that do nothing but raise her blood pressure. If you can't find the end of your rope, don't toss the other end of it away on purpose, too!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM

From one rope tosser to another, I get her. I have 3 kids ages 8,6 and almost one and I have had a heck of a time with my temper since I got pregnant this last time. I think I would be locked away if I had 8 kids. I think she is a human and we are not perfect and when you are that personality type sometimes you can't help but throw the rope, it somehow throws itself.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 PM

I totally get what Kate's doing sometimes. (Although sometimes she does make me scratch my head.) I've worked daycare and can totally understand how there is a "crisis point" with mess. There is a certain point when being messy with a large group of children where the mess is going to get "out of control" and you'll be cleaning it up for weeks. (Literally. Try it if you don't believe me.)

I felt so bad for the whole family on the most recent adventure to go skiing. That flight was miserable! I would have cried too.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM

I know I actually got tears in my eyes for her and those poor babies. I hate to fly and with that many kids no matter how many helpers you bring they are still your babies crying and miserable. I saw the preview when they show the trip and she gets sick, probably all that horrible airplane air

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
True, but she obsesses about a lot of little nitpicky stuff that do nothing but raise her blood pressure. If you can't find the end of your rope, don't toss the other end of it away on purpose, too!
It's not even on purpose. I do it all the time. Since things have gotten more stressful and chaotic, I find myself breaking down over the smallest things. I mean, I sobbed over a wrinkle in the sheet the other night.
I can totally see going nuts over a dresser knob.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug View Post
From one rope tosser to another, I get her. I have 3 kids ages 8,6 and almost one and I have had a heck of a time with my temper since I got pregnant this last time. I think I would be locked away if I had 8 kids. I think she is a human and we are not perfect and when you are that personality type sometimes you can't help but throw the rope, it somehow throws itself.
: Mine are 3, 1 and 3 months. Taking care of 3 little tiny ones is sooo frickin' hard. If I had 8 this young, I'd be in a mental institution.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I totally get what Kate's doing sometimes. (Although sometimes she does make me scratch my head.) I've worked daycare and can totally understand how there is a "crisis point" with mess. There is a certain point when being messy with a large group of children where the mess is going to get "out of control" and you'll be cleaning it up for weeks. (Literally. Try it if you don't believe me.)
What kills me is how neat those kids really are, when you think about it. I mean, how does she get them to keep their "bedroom toys" in the bedroom, "basement toys" in the basement, etc. Well trained, I guess. DD is always taking things from one floor to another, and my current annoyance, grabbing just about anything (the other day it was the bread basket from the kitchen shelf) walking off with it, and then just dropping it somewhere for me to pick up. This drives me nuts, and is why I can never keep my house neat for long. I can't image how you keep 6 toddlers from doing that.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 PM

I agree with the sentiment that alot of ppl here have that Kate's cleaning/organizing habits are an inspiration. I mean, I only have ONE mild-mannered almost 1-yo AND I'm a SAHM and sometimes I just wonder how I'm supposed to keep my little apartment clean. Sometimes I want to throw my hands up and give up. Then I remember Kate and I just think "She can do it with eight, I can do it with one." And I keep going.

I really liked the skiing special. I liked how they had all the kids go to "skiing school" for one day, but didn't make them do it again if they didn't want to. Half of them did, half of them stayed home and played. And I laughed when they asked Maddy what she liked about the trip and she said "Nothing" and was dead serious about it. Haha.

Lots of people have given them flak on this board for being rough or short with the kids, esp. when they get stressed in public, but I think that keeping them at home and not taking them anywhere for the sake of sanity would be more damaging to them than those stressful times. (Although I, too, as a mother, would have been traumatized by the airplane incident! Holy Cow!)

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiko View Post

I really liked the skiing special. I liked how they had all the kids go to "skiing school" for one day, but didn't make them do it again if they didn't want to. Half of them did, half of them stayed home and played. And I laughed when they asked Maddy what she liked about the trip and she said "Nothing" and was dead serious about it. Haha.
: maddy's a trip!

whenever i find myself getting stressed with my 2 kids, i always think of kate. and then i realize it's not even as bad as i think it is!

i also liked the episode where they answered viewers questions.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:14 PM

I still love watching this. I think now that the kids are getting older they are able to do more fun outings with them. Of course this brings more stress in itself, plus then they have the added aspect of it being on tv. I don't blame them one bit for trying to do whats best for their family by having the show. I'm sure its the only way kate is able to stay home with the kids. Could you imagine daycare costs for 6? I don't think she could make that much as a nurse.
I love that they get to take the kids places even if they aren't paying. I hope i can take my kids to some great places as they get older. Right now they are just 1 and 4, and i can't take them to the grocery by myself without having a breakdown. Plus my house is a disaster most days of the week. I don't know how she does it.
As for the food issue, i imagine they are on a tight budget feeding that many, and while i don't force my kids to finish their plates, i can see a roomfull of picky toddlers not eating anything and then complaining all day they are hungry. Sometimes you have to sacrifice certain parenting ideals when you have that many. YOu might have to pick whats very important to you , and go with that. Its great that she makes most of her food from scratch, and mostly organic . It would be so easy for her to buy 100$/wk crappy junk food, and feed them that.
While there are a lot of things she does that i would not, i cannot say 100%. I have 2 kids, she has 8. Thats a big difference.I admire her . Sure she can be a little bitchy, but so can i.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiko View Post
I loved the skiing special too. I thought it was a very honest depiction of how family vacations can go. I also loved that they had the kids try skiing and if they didn't like it they didn't have to do it again. Wonderful!

Madi is... hilarious. I get the feeling that is exactly how Kate was as a child...

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I love this show! Kate seems to get alot of flack for bing bossy, or as many I know have just plain called her a bitch I personally think she does an amazing job with that many kids. She doesn't rely on crappy food because it's easier, she doesn't spank. I think she's awesome!!
I love the way she feeds the kids. It makes me feel guilty that I don't do better for my family in that area! I thought it was so cute when they were packing to go to Disney (I think) Madi said "These are our vitamins we have to have because we won't be able to eat organic when we're gone." (something to that effect) I thought it was so cute!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 AM

I normally like this show, but today's show about all the kids with flu's how she puts her one son in the laundry room on the floor because she was afraid to get puke on things? I am sorry, but if my kid is sick, and throwing up the last thing I am worried about is what he gets dirty, there are washing machine for a reason. Put him on the darn couch or something.
I am sure laying on a floor with a thin blanket with washing machines and dryers going full force is going to make a lil dude feel better.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmisje View Post
I normally like this show, but today's show about all the kids with flu's how she puts her one son in the laundry room on the floor because she was afraid to get puke on things? I am sorry, but if my kid is sick, and throwing up the last thing I am worried about is what he gets dirty, there are washing machine for a reason. Put him on the darn couch or something.
I am sure laying on a floor with a thin blanket with washing machines and dryers going full force is going to make a lil dude feel better.

There were two of them in there together. He had a pillow and a blanket on top of him. Honestly, I don't blame her one bit. Why would you put him on the couch when you know he's going to throw up on it?? It's not that easy to wash a couch. You might be worried about what your kid gets dirty if you have a bunch of kids puking at once and you can barely keep up.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmisje View Post
How do you wash a couch? The fabric on mine isn't removable and even if it was there is no good way to clean the foam. With that many sick children you do the best you can (haven't actually watched the episode yet). With one child it is easy to care for them, deal with the mess, and keep them from freaking over throwing up.

When I was like that (6months pregnant) I laid on the floor next to my bathroom.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Put a washable blanket down, for pete's sake. Or thick beach towels. And get out the buckets and big mixing bowls. I would never banish my sick kid to the laundry room floor just because they might make a mess.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 PM

I thought it was just Joel in the laundry room. ??

It just seemed sad....that thin blanket on the floor and him all alone in there in the dark. Even Jon came home and moved him into their room so he could watch TV.

There's just such a "things are more important than people" attitude from Kate that is really reminiscent of my childhood.

Like, freaking out about puke on the new comforter.....not the fact that the kid is sick and has puke on *him,* too. She picked him up and just stood him to the side to deal with the comforter first.

There's just too much, "Go on....I'm cleaning," for my taste.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
There were two of them in there together. He had a pillow and a blanket on top of him. Honestly, I don't blame her one bit. Why would you put him on the couch when you know he's going to throw up on it?? It's not that easy to wash a couch. You might be worried about what your kid gets dirty if you have a bunch of kids puking at once and you can barely keep up.
Exactly. I would've done the same thing. With that many sick kids, it's smart to make them their own little spots like she did.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I blame her.

When I was small, my mom couldn't deal with illness at all. From the time I was a very little girl (think 3 or 4), I was punished (hit, usually) if I threw up anywhere other than the toilet. I was told in no uncertain terms that being sick was not an option in my family.

As an adult, I still struggle with my feelings around being sick myself and my feelings around others being sick. It's a bad, bad legacy and she should know better, IMO.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post

Like, freaking out about puke on the new comforter.....not the fact that the kid is sick and has puke on *him,* too. She picked him up and just stood him to the side to deal with the comforter first.

Actually from what I saw, she picked him up, looked at the bed, and then took his pukey shirt off of him. Just sayin'.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I blame her.

When I was small, my mom couldn't deal with illness at all. From the time I was a very little girl (think 3 or 4), I was punished (hit, usually) if I threw up anywhere other than the toilet. I was told in no uncertain terms that being sick was not an option in my family.

As an adult, I still struggle with my feelings around being sick myself and my feelings around others being sick. It's a bad, bad legacy and she should know better, IMO.
Oh yuck. That's terrible. I'm sorry you had to endure that.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Actually from what I saw, she picked him up, looked at the bed, and then took his pukey shirt off of him. Just sayin'.
Maybe. In any event, it was after wailing, "OH NOOOO! JO-EL!" or some such about puke on the new comforter.

Can't imagine why the same child would try to hide his soiled underpants and then lie about it.

User Tag List