Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Oh, please. Take your eyeroll and inflict in on someone doing actual harm, you know? I AM that kid who was ACTUALLY abused and ACTUALLY banished. I think what she did was wrong and to sweep it under the rug because other people do worse to their kids is beyond ridiculous.
Well, I don't think what she did was wrong and my opinion is just as welcome as yours on this thread.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Um... I don't know why Jon and Kate Plus 8 brings out these sort of heated feelings, but could we all step back a minute and take a breath? Maybe try to be polite, stay within the UA, take the one-on-one stuff to PM, all that modly stuff I'm contractually obligated to say?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#483 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Um... I don't know why Jon and Kate Plus 8 brings out these sort of heated feelings, but could we all step back a minute and take a breath? Maybe try to be polite, stay within the UA, take the one-on-one stuff to PM, all that modly stuff I'm contractually obligated to say?
I guess Jon & Kate is a hot button topic! Put it right up there with breastfeeding & CIO. Who knew?

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#484 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I guess Jon & Kate is a hot button topic! Put it right up there with breastfeeding & CIO. Who knew?
Well, you know, at least it's not a Duggar thread.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#485 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 PM

Anytime someone small is puking in our house the first thing that happens is the biggest towel we have gets tossed on the floor in the bathroom along with an old pillow and blanket. Every single time. I just did it Sunday for ds. I hate puke and I surely don't want to clean up the puke trail that leads from the bedroom to the bathroom because they panicked and didn't want to puke in the bucket next to the bed. You're puking, you're living in the bathroom until it stops.

I've been yelled at for bleeding on carpet, for puking on carpet (who the hell puts wall to wall carpet in a bathroom anyway??) I know that feeling. But really, there's nothing wrong with putting a sick kid somewhere that the vomit can be easily contained and cleaned up.
#486 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah than we'd have REAL trouble on our hands. What with the hair debates.

#487 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The door wasn't even closed.
I do believe it was. When Jon came home, he went to the laundry room and opened the door to check on the child.

Jon's, "He's burning up!" was the first bit of concern or compassion about the child that I heard. Kate's focus, to that point, was seemingly on the comforter and her work load. I did not hear her utter one kind word about the child and his condition. She seemed pissed off and put out. That's why I felt like putting him on the floor in the laundry room with a thin blanket under him was just over the top. Had she been cooing over the child or loving or compassionate in any way as she made up his little place in there, I would not feel as strongly about the negative aspect of it. But to be carrying on about the darn comforter and how hard this all was on HER...and then to put the kid in there? Dude. That's the stuff of Disney wicked stepmothers.

Again, just going by what was shown.

And I'm sure she was done-to-death with puke and sick kids and all that, but c'mon....tell that to poor Joel. He didn't "decide" to puke (as she put it) everywhere. He's 3. I'm sure he felt awful. And to hear his mother going on and on about the comforter and how inconvenient his illness was? Egads. That's just sad. And then to be left alone in the laundry room on the floor? I just wanted to hug that poor kid. Puke and all.
#488 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
I do believe it was. When Jon came home, he went to the laundry room and opened the door to check on the child.

Jon's, "He's burning up!" was the first bit of concern or compassion about the child that I heard. Kate's focus, to that point, was seemingly on the comforter and her work load. I did not hear her utter one kind word about the child and his condition. She seemed pissed off and put out. That's why I felt like putting him on the floor in the laundry room with a thin blanket under him was just over the top. Had she been cooing over the child or loving or compassionate in any way as she made up his little place in there, I would not feel as strongly about the negative aspect of it. But to be carrying on about the darn comforter and how hard this all was on HER...and then to put the kid in there? Dude. That's the stuff of Disney wicked stepmothers.

Again, just going by what was shown.

And I'm sure she was done-to-death with puke and sick kids and all that, but c'mon....tell that to poor Joel. He didn't "decide" to puke (as she put it) everywhere. He's 3. I'm sure he felt awful. And to hear his mother going on and on about the comforter and how inconvenient his illness was? Egads. That's just sad. And then to be left alone in the laundry room on the floor? I just wanted to hug that poor kid. Puke and all.
This is it exactly. Thank you for saying it so well.
#489 of 3013 Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't think what she did was wrong and my opinion is just as welcome as yours on this thread.
Of course it is. My point is that...well, you know what my point is. I've said it already. I just didn't want to leave you thinking that I didn't think your opinion was welcome here. Even if you're wrong.
#490 of 3013 Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM

So are they moving? The preview seemed to suggest they were going to sell their current house - new carpet and all. Anyone know?
#491 of 3013 Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 PM

It's funny, when I watched that episode the other night I immediately thought of this thread and how everyone was going to react.

I really don't think she was being abusive, I just think she operates on systems and this is HER sick-kid system. I truly believes she really loves her children and is doing the best she knows how. Is it what I would have done... no. But then again I don't have 8 kids so I honestly don't know what I would have done.

I really like them for not being so perfect. Kate does things that annoy me (and has a parenting style that I don't always agree with), but overall I am impressed with how sweet and behaved her children are. I guess by opening yourself up to a reality show you subject yourself to constant criticism.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#492 of 3013 Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
But those are my favorite threads.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#493 of 3013 Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelakann View Post
It's funny, when I watched that episode the other night I immediately thought of this thread and how everyone was going to react.

I really don't think she was being abusive, I just think she operates on systems and this is HER sick-kid system. I truly believes she really loves her children and is doing the best she knows how. Is it what I would have done... no. But then again I don't have 8 kids so I honestly don't know what I would have done.

I really like them for not being so perfect. Kate does things that annoy me (and has a parenting style that I don't always agree with), but overall I am impressed with how sweet and behaved her children are. I guess by opening yourself up to a reality show you subject yourself to constant criticism.
I was thinking the same thing... Honestly, I agree. I cannot imagine what it must be like to deal with her gang if the were all to be sick at the same time...can you imagine the laundry? Good lord, that would probably have done me in!

You can tell she loves her kids, I really think that until we have walked a mile in her shoes we have no clue what life must be like in her place. It makes me sad when moms rip her to shreds here, I would have to guess that many of us would not be able to hold her household together as well as she does.
#494 of 3013 Old 03-14-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelakann View Post
That's hilarious because I think of the same thing. "Trying to go green, she'll get brownie points for that...Uh-oh snapped at one of the kids or made a comment to Jon she's gonna get it tonight on the board"

#495 of 3013 Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
It makes me sad when moms rip her to shreds here, I would have to guess that many of us would not be able to hold her household together as well as she does.
I'm sorry it's upsetting to you to read comments like mine in this thread. Truly. It's not my intention to "rip her to shreds" or anything like that. It's just that often times watching this show, I'm watching what I perceive as HER ripping her husband and children to shreds--and that upsets me. I watch this show much more relating to her children b/c I did have a mother who was like Kate. I want to gonk Kate in the head b/c I agree that she does love her children, but I think what she's doing is often without considering the long-term ramifications. Screaming at a child to get out of your way so you can do housework is not cool. I get why it happens. I've done it. But I can't excuse or minimize the shitiness of that behavior--whether you've got 0 kids or 50. It's mean and it's mixed up prioritites, imo. On her death bed, I doubt she's going to wish she had focused more on the cleaning than on her kids. I know my mother didn't.

So, yeah, my "household" is nothing like Kate's. It's almost 11 pm and one kid is sleeping on the couch, the other one is up and happily playing video games with his dad. The laundry needs doing, the dinner dishes are still in the sink, and there are dust tumble weeds rolling about the place. But we all spent a nice day playing outside together and working on some projects and trying to put the kids first b/c they're more important than the dishes and all that other crap that can wait.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. I do enjoy the show. I think the kids are precious. I am inspired by the lists and charts and organization. But the other stuff makes me want to come here and vent a little.
#496 of 3013 Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah than we'd have REAL trouble on our hands. What with the hair debates.
I would love to see what people say about the Duggar's hair, I would love to send my hairdresser to their house :-)

I like watching J and K plus 8, I couldn't do what they do, I don't have the patience and I think sometimes K does run out, but her kids seem happy and healthy and pretty well behaved which has to be complemented IMO.
#497 of 3013 Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSuz View Post
So are they moving? The preview seemed to suggest they were going to sell their current house - new carpet and all. Anyone know?
I missed last week and didn't see any ads til last night. It looks like it though. I just don't see why they would after having just finished the other bedrom for the girls? I thought this was meant to be their forever house?

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#498 of 3013 Old 03-17-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
I don't always like how Kate handles the children but in this case, sometimes you have to do damage control so you don't spend the next week cleaning and yk, taking time away from the kids.
I would assume that Kate was going to spend the next week cleaning whether Joel threw up everywhere or not.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#499 of 3013 Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM

I think you have to keep in mind how much editing goes on for each episode. We do not see EVERYTHING that goes on, just what the producers want us to see, kwim?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#500 of 3013 Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I missed last week and didn't see any ads til last night. It looks like it though. I just don't see why they would after having just finished the other bedrom for the girls? I thought this was meant to be their forever house?
I would imagine that they are making some pretty good "side" money
from the show and that's why or how they can afford to get a
bigger house.
#501 of 3013 Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I think you have to keep in mind how much editing goes on for each episode. We do not see EVERYTHING that goes on, just what the producers want us to see, kwim?
Kate stated several times on the 'behind the scenes show that "what you see is what you get"; that the show is accurate.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#502 of 3013 Old 03-18-2008, 12:01 AM

I liked the Valentines Day episode! It made me feel like a boring mom though.

#503 of 3013 Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 AM

Although she said what you see if what you get, what about what you don't see. For instance Jon said he was burning up and she said she gave him something for it. Now I didn't see her give him anything??? So perhaps we also didn't see her cuddle and lie him down and such in the laundry room??? I had enough problems when 2 were puking at the same time ( btw they sleep with daddy on those nights because I cannot deal with the smell) but I would about die if 8 were going at it at once!!! YIKES!!!

As for money, my guess is that it is rolling in and they will expand. The friend who hired Jon has a HUGE house with tons of property. Jon now also makes his own hours so I am guessing he also makes a ton more money. And I do believe I have heard them say they would like more property for the kids to roam. I don't however understand why they needed to add that extra room, unless they just decided that they could do this. Good for them!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#504 of 3013 Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug View Post
but I would about die if 8 were going at it at once!!! YIKES!!!
I don't think all 8 were sick at once. As far as I understood one or two were sick at a time. Just when one was getting better, another would fall sick, which is why this laster for about 8 days.

So she really wasn't taking care of 8 sick kids at once. I am not saying she had it easy or anything....taking care of 1 sick kid can be really hard.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#505 of 3013 Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_y_sol View Post
I don't think all 8 were sick at once. As far as I understood one or two were sick at a time. Just when one was getting better, another would fall sick, which is why this laster for about 8 days.

So she really wasn't taking care of 8 sick kids at once. I am not saying she had it easy or anything....taking care of 1 sick kid can be really hard.
I think they said that in previous years when a stomach bug went through the house, the kids pretty much all went down at once. So they've done it both ways. I wonder which way they find harder? I can see advantages to both. (Assuming you can really use the word "advantages" when referring to puking kids...)

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#506 of 3013 Old 03-18-2008, 03:05 AM

Both of my kids were sick at one time for TWO WEEKS. When they got better I practically put them in a bubble and quarantined them out of desperation to keep them well. I don't know what I would do with eight. Yowch.

#507 of 3013 Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
So they've done it both ways. I wonder which way they find harder? I can see advantages to both.
That is an interesting point, I am not sure which one I would "prefer".

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#508 of 3013 Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM

I haven't seen every episode, and I guess I missed the one where they talked about Jon going to work for Beth's husband. Which one was that? Can someone give me a brief recap? I knew he had changed things where he could work from home, but didn't realize he actually had to change jobs.
#509 of 3013 Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM

I don't remembe exactly which episode, but he is working for Beth's husband and he makes his own hours. That is why he is home more and talks about having more time with the kids. Which I think is great.

I loved the V-Day show, as we do many of those same things in our house. I think it really showed how she loves her kids and how excited they all were

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#510 of 3013 Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Ok, I tend to be annoyed by Kate but I also understand how she could be super overwhelmed and try to see things from her perspective but after the crayola episode that played tonight, I am beyond annoyed with her. I felt just awful for her kids who were begging and sobbing to color with markers at the crayola factory and she was nagging on about not letting them get dirty. This goes against the very fabric of my beliefs and I have to wonder why on EARTH she took them to a crayola factory if she had no intentions of letting them explore. This really, really bothered me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page