Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 3013 Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jon and Kate have said that when negative emails come in they automatically delete them. They don't have time for that. They know that no matter what there will always be somone who criticizes them for one reason or another. They are doing what works best for their family and if other people don't agree with it then, tough luck. Get over it. They're not going to pretend to be people they're not to appease others. And you know what? That's one thing that I admire them for. They know they have faults and can admit that. Do you know how many people go around claiming that they do nothing wrong and are the perfect parents and that if anyone disagrees then well by golly they're just crazy and stupid! Jon and Kate know very well that people disagree with alot of things they do and they don't criticize them for it. And they know they aren't perfect but they're do the best that they can *for them* because at the end of the day, isn't that what really matters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 3013 Old 03-29-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
Could you imagine the flack she would get from people if she took them out dirty and disheveled like normal 3 year olds? I'm guessing she would get all sorts of "shouldn't have had them if you can't take care of them" comments. Hell, most of us have been cornered by the "why aren't there socks on that baby" or the "where is that baby's hat" lady. Can you imagine the judgement she gets if her kids act out or look ratty? I can't judge her for trying to keep everything perfect and under control. I do that and I only have 2.
I think there is a major difference between bringing kids out in public in dirty, disheveled clothing and being at the Crayola factory and getting a few marker spots on their shirts. I doubt people would've been pointing and staring and saying, "look at the terrible mother letting her kids get marker on their clean shirts!"

That said, if it were me? I would've just put the kids in plain tshirts that would've been specifically for the trip and let them have a ball. Then maybe even keep all the tshirts as a little souvenir or something.
#543 of 3013 Old 03-30-2008, 01:44 AM

"That said, if it were me? I would've just put the kids in plain tshirts that would've been specifically for the trip and let them have a ball. Then maybe even keep all the tshirts as a little souvenir or something.[/QUOTE]

Your idea shows common sense and I hope for the sake of the kids and herself, Kate gets them some regular nonmatching make a mess play clothes... tho I try to be sympathetic, it seems like many of these meltdowns, as she calls them, could be avoided.

Even though Kate says she pays no attention to any negative email, I think she does. I have noticed her going out of her way in the last few episodes to say she is giving them a choice. Particularly in the 1 on 1 outings

I think Kate knows she is more than a bit compulsive about cleaning and over-directing. Like most of us she tries to improve, but when tired and stressed she goes back to her old self which is where she is most comfortable(ie being in control). With that many toddlers theres mucho times to be tired and stressed!

pamajama
#544 of 3013 Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 AM

Yeah, I think Kate WAY cares what other people think about her. If you notice when the kids are melting down in public, she is generally focused on the adults around her--trying to make jokes and/or depricating comments. But she is very aware of the cameras and the people in the vicinity. And, really, if she didn't care then the kids could wear whatever and get dirty and it wouldn't be an issue other than her personal comfort.

I liked how at the Crayon factory she was like, "This is not a place for people like me. Too messy."

And then she lost me again when she told children that they couldn't touch the glass on the sliding glass door. Sigh. C'mon, you know?

The whole pottying thing confused me, too. Don't moms of many kinda take everybody (or at least some) at the same time and encourage "trying" to go? Just so you can kinda synchronize all that?

My husband and I were just in awe over the boots/mittens/snow suit dressing. Can you IMAGINE?? Oy. I love their garage space--it's like my favorite part of their whole house!
#545 of 3013 Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
John works for the Federal Government in the IT field. I think Kate also works part-time. She's an R.N. I think, I could be wrong here, that she works at a local kidney dialysis center or some place like that but it's not a full-time job.
Actually, now Jon works for their friend (Beth's husband) and Kate doesn't work. I've read about some speculation that Jon's job isn't really a typical job, they just present it that way so people don't get PO'd that they're living off the tv show income. People have thought that because he's mentioned so many times that the new job means tons of flexibility for him, he can work wherever he wants to, and he's seen doing a lot with the kids on weekdays. I don't know if it's true (I don't really care) but I guess it's interesting.
#546 of 3013 Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I think it's definitely a part-time thing, at best. And isn't there a book deal in the works now, too? God bless 'em. If they can make it work on this deal and quit the 9-5 thing....more power to them. But they might try to be nicer to those children who are making it all possible. Just sayin'.

You know what I love? That we never see Beth's husband! He totally hides from the cameras. And their house and land is AWESOME! Drooooool!
#547 of 3013 Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
Yeah, I think it's definitely a part-time thing, at best. And isn't there a book deal in the works now, too? God bless 'em. If they can make it work on this deal and quit the 9-5 thing....more power to them. But they might try to be nicer to those children who are making it all possible. Just sayin'.

You know what I love? That we never see Beth's husband! He totally hides from the cameras. And their house and land is AWESOME! Drooooool!
Actually, another thing that I read (on Television Without Pity, if anyone cares!) was someone saying that Kate won't be happy until her family can live like Beth's. Well, on the show where they were looking at properties they certainly seemed to be trying to copy them! I think Kate would never have been satisfied raising the kids "low income" (beans&rice, second hand clothes, etc) so she's found a way to make the money she wants for their better life.
#548 of 3013 Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a reminder--discussing gossip from other boards is against the UA.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#549 of 3013 Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM

I just saw tonight's episode. I think it is hilarious that Kate doesn't like to give her kids candy but Aunt Jodie gives them candy everytime! But what can you do? What a blessing to have someone able to take five kids at a time, I'm sure she doesn't complain about the sweets or the movie watching.

My favorite line tonight: Aaden "I'm in the car!"

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#550 of 3013 Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 AM
lab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post

My favorite line tonight: Aaden "I'm in the car!"
Sooooo cute....

My favorite line was "I don't see sheep"

I know what he meant!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#551 of 3013 Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 AM

Yes if you look at their site it says they are writing a book on organizing for a large family. I aspire to be super organized but life just keeps on getting in the way

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#552 of 3013 Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamajama View Post
" Even though Kate says she pays no attention to any negative email, I think she does. I have noticed her going out of her way in the last few episodes to say she is giving them a choice. Particularly in the 1 on 1 outings

pamajama
Perhaps she just watched the shows, saw some of her behavior, and resolved to change it. People aren't always aware of their actions, watching a tape of yourself is probably a great way to see things you'd like to change. I'm not sure she would need an email from a stranger to point out her faults.
#553 of 3013 Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone else watched tonight.

If you've been following this thread you know I pretty much have defended Kate throughout but wow... tonight it was hard for even me to watch. The gum incident. Yowch. I felt horrible for Joel (?) about his bear. What three year old hasn't had gum mishaps?? Also, if I was Jodi I would be like "find someone else to watch your kids if you don't like it!"

Rant over.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#554 of 3013 Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Oh boy! I taped it and will watch tomorrow while dd naps. But man I want to watch it now! :

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#555 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I don't know if anyone else watched tonight.

If you've been following this thread you know I pretty much have defended Kate throughout but wow... tonight it was hard for even me to watch. The gum incident. Yowch. I felt horrible for Joel (?) about his bear. What three year old hasn't had gum mishaps?? Also, if I was Jodi I would be like "find someone else to watch your kids if you don't like it!"

Rant over.
OMG I know!!! I can't believe she was threatening to throw away the poor child's Lovey over a little spot of gum that was stuck on it! And she really had me convinced she was just throwing it away, although at the end I guess she didn't. And to talk about Jodi like she did in front of the cameras when she knew everything she said would be on tv for everyone to watch... I wonder why Jodi even watches the kids and is her friend. She seems like a very nice, sweet person and her house seems very childproof... whatever they are paying her (if anything at all) to watch all those kids is not enough. HER kids put a HOLE in her wall and you don't see Jodi flipping out.
#556 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
OMG I know!!! I can't believe she was threatening to throw away the poor child's Lovey over a little spot of gum that was stuck on it! And she really had me convinced she was just throwing it away, although at the end I guess she didn't. And to talk about Jodi like she did in front of the cameras when she knew everything she said would be on tv for everyone to watch... I wonder why Jodi even watches the kids and is her friend. She seems like a very nice, sweet person and her house seems very childproof... whatever they are paying her (if anything at all) to watch all those kids is not enough. HER kids put a HOLE in her wall and you don't see Jodi flipping out.
I KNOW. I felt so bad for him. I was just cringing. He was DEVASTATED and she seemed to be enjoying the emotional punishment she was inflicting. The other kids even looked concerned for him and Maddy tried to talk some sense into her... My jaw literally dropped when I heard her call Jodi. I would tell her where she could shove her snotty tone.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#557 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 03:30 AM

jodi is her sister-in-law i believe.
#558 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
My husband and I were just in awe over the boots/mittens/snow suit dressing. Can you IMAGINE?? Oy. I love their garage space--it's like my favorite part of their whole house!
Right? I said to dh, "If we had all those kids at once, first thing we'd do is move someplace warm where we don't have to deal with all those winter clothes!!"

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

#559 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamama View Post
jodi is her sister-in-law i believe.
Yeah. All the less reason to snap at her like she did.

#560 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM

Since when is peanut butter for getting gum out of stuff?
I thought Ice was the only way to go??

I definitely think she snapped at Jodi. That was so not cool, especially
after the kids put a hole in Jodi's wall and she didn't freak out.
#561 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Peanut butter definitely works. Well, it definitely works for getting gum out of hair anyway. I wish I didn't know that.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#562 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Peanut butter definitely works. Well, it definitely works for getting gum out of hair anyway. I wish I didn't know that.
Yup! My mom used to use it to get it out of our hair.

#563 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 PM

I was starting to feel guilty that I didn't tape the episode last night for dd to watch, but now I'm glad I forgot.
#564 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I KNOW. I felt so bad for him. I was just cringing. He was DEVASTATED and she seemed to be enjoying the emotional punishment she was inflicting. The other kids even looked concerned for him and Maddy tried to talk some sense into her... My jaw literally dropped when I heard her call Jodi. I would tell her where she could shove her snotty tone.
This. Exactly. Kate was horrible. Did you hear her say "That will teach you to chew gum!" or something along that line on her way to the sink with the bear? She was out of control! Everything else I want to say about her would be a UAV.
#565 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhmama View Post
This. Exactly. Kate was horrible. Did you hear her say "That will teach you to chew gum!" or something along that line on her way to the sink with the bear? She was out of control! Everything else I want to say about her would be a UAV.
Yeah and something like "What person gives three year olds gum?!" I was thinking My 21 month old chews gum just fine.

I mean, I know there are 6 of them but if she taught them "gum chewing etiquette" it wouldn't be such a huge issue. If she doesn't want them to chew gum that's fine but maybe they should know how as a preventative measure in the future. I wouldn't want all of their clothes ending up in the burn pile because "this can't go in the dryer with the rest of my clothes!!!"

#566 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM

She could have put the bear in the freezer and the gum would freeze and then you can pull it off. The peanut butter probably just added to the stain. I forgot Jodi was her sister-in-law! Even more reason to treat her kindly. I hope she apologizes.

Did anyone noticed it seems like they switched the episode around? In the episode, Cara went rollerblading (and the kids put the hole in the wall) and then Maddy got her ears pierced (and Jodi gave the kids gum)... but when Cara went rollerblading, Maddy was complaining that she wanted to go and they told her she already had her day out.
#567 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Ok....I really love this show and I generally really like Kate and think she does a great job with her situation. I'm envious of her organizational skills.

That said ......HOOOOO MAAWWW GAWWWWSH!!!! I really did think she had a little bit of a "mommy dearest" thing going on last night. (I've overreacted to things with my kids and flipped out when I shouldnt have) but wow! I kept thinking....I would be so grateful to ANYONE who would watch my kiddos and I wouldnt dream of calling them and reaming them a new one for giving my kids gum. (unless I SPECIFICALLY told them not to, yk?)

I can understand Kate's frustration that it was going to take a lot of work and time to get the gum out of everyone's clothes etc.....she had every right to be frustrated....but the kids are 3! Dont "blame" 3 year olds for chewing gum.....I cant imagine yelling at my 4 year old if someone gave him gum and he ate it....lol

The part with the bear and Aidan broke my heart!!!!! She seems to take special care to make sure the kids have their comfort toys when they need them so she knows how important they are. The way she threatened Aidan with throwing it away was WAAAAAY over the top. He didnt understand. It was reminiscent of the way my mom would "blame" me for things I wasnt responsible for.....i'm rambling......lol

I think Kate needs to lighten up on herself and the kids....I understand her need to stay organized. I'm sure people oversimplify the demands of 6 3 year olds. She definitely has to kind of stay one step ahead but there's got to be some compromise on her part too........

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#568 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
Ok....I really love this show and I generally really like Kate and think she does a great job with her situation. I'm envious of her organizational skills.

That said ......HOOOOO MAAWWW GAWWWWSH!!!! I really did think she had a little bit of a "mommy dearest" thing going on last night. (I've overreacted to things with my kids and flipped out when I shouldnt have) but wow! I kept thinking....I would be so grateful to ANYONE who would watch my kiddos and I wouldnt dream of calling them and reaming them a new one for giving my kids gum. (unless I SPECIFICALLY told them not to, yk?)

I can understand Kate's frustration that it was going to take a lot of work and time to get the gum out of everyone's clothes etc.....she had every right to be frustrated....but the kids are 3! Dont "blame" 3 year olds for chewing gum.....I cant imagine yelling at my 4 year old if someone gave him gum and he ate it....lol

The part with the bear and Aidan broke my heart!!!!! She seems to take special care to make sure the kids have their comfort toys when they need them so she knows how important they are. The way she threatened Aidan with throwing it away was WAAAAAY over the top. He didnt understand. It was reminiscent of the way my mom would "blame" me for things I wasnt responsible for.....i'm rambling......lol

I think Kate needs to lighten up on herself and the kids....I understand her need to stay organized. I'm sure people oversimplify the demands of 6 3 year olds. She definitely has to kind of stay one step ahead but there's got to be some compromise on her part too........
Oh I know. I can't imagine someone willing to consistently watch 8 little kids. I can barely find someone to watch my two every 6 months or so. I'm figuring with 3 kids I'm now doomed. I treat my very very FEW babysitters like gold. I wouldn't dare complain about them unless they were putting my kids in danger. A little gum on some clothes is worth it IMO. She sounded so selfish & ungrateful!

I'm totally guilty of taking out my frustrations on my kids every once in awhile (I try hard not to!) but I don't see how she could stand to keep up her tirade even after her little boy melted into heartbroken tears. I would've thrown the lovey on the counter and scooped up my little boy telling him how sorry I was for over-reacting. Hopefully she did so later...

#569 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
Did anyone noticed it seems like they switched the episode around? In the episode, Cara went rollerblading (and the kids put the hole in the wall) and then Maddy got her ears pierced (and Jodi gave the kids gum)... but when Cara went rollerblading, Maddy was complaining that she wanted to go and they told her she already had her day out.
Yeah, I noticed and I thought that was odd.

What is wrong with some stain or dried gum on clothes? Why would you throw things away just because of a little gum? Sorry, I don't get it. My dd has gotten gum on her clothes, I just throw it in the washer/dryer, it has never been a problem. So those become "play clothes" to wear to the crayola factory!

The bear threats were indeed sad. I agree with lovingmommyhood...

I also found it sad when Kate said she lays in bed at night wondering if she had any meaningful conversations with _______ that day. Or that she didn't hug ________. I just can't imagine being in that situation.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#570 of 3013 Old 04-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_y_sol View Post
What is wrong with some stain or dried gum on clothes?
Speaking from experience, a little bit of dried gum on clothes will turn into a huge, gooey mess after it goes throught the clothes dryer. Not only can the mess get all over the clothes in the dryer, it can also get all over the dryer itself, thus creating an even bigger cleaning catastrophe.

I agree that Kate's reaction was over the top. On the other hand I actually happen to agree that Jodi should not have given gum to kids that young. Between the sugar, artificial dyes, tooth decaying potential, choking hazard potential, and the mess factor I see absolutely no reason to give gumballs to little kids. I actually had a discussion with my step-MIL a few weeks ago where I basically let her know that my kids were not allowed to have gum, EVER, after she mentioned that her daughter lets the nanny give gum to her 2 year old.

And what was Jodi thinking to take the word of a group of three year olds regarding what is ok for them to eat/consume??? I don't mean to pile on Jodi, but I can't imagine how someone who has been that close to Kate for so long would have thought she was ok with the tups chewing gum during play time. Frankly, I think she used poor judgment in that particular situation.

Just my $.02

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page