Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_y_sol View Post
I am not sure why she had "one of those days", she spent several hours away with just Jon and Mady, they went to the mall, and out to eat. It seemed like Mady was in a fairly good mood. I would think that type of day would be one of the least stressful days of all.
Yes she did get out for a nice day but it certainly wasn't perfect. Mady had the meltdown at the mall because Kate brought her bear with as a surprise, and then the rest of the kids were in full wild mode when they picked them up at Jodi's (I'm sure she also found out about the hole in the wall), I wouldn't doubt that everyone was wound up when they got home and all of that energy on top of trying to prepare dinner only to find that all of the kids have gum stuck to them. Honestly, I could see how all of that after a nice day could push organized Kate over the edge.

Regardless, she had a bad moment, said some things she didn't mean, and probably spent some nice moments with her kids after the cameras were turned off for the day. Not every moment can make it on television so I would guess that the gum freak out is better television than bedtime stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Maybe those that think her tone was fine use that tone themselves with others so it would obviously seem fine if it's the norm for you. I just don't speak like that to people. Especially someone who was doing me a huge favor.
I have to be honest I find this a bit rude. Just because I don't find her tonet rude does not mean the kind of tone YOUR hearing is my norm or anyone else that thinks her tone was fine. That comment was imo uncalled for. I applaud you if you have never in your life had any tone other then sweet but for most people sometimes we get upset and have some sort of tone other then kind and loving.

Most of the time in this thread I agree when Kate seems to have a nasty tone, but this truly is not one of them. I think that the general opinion of her tends to now cloud how people see every episode and every little thing she says and does is put under a microscope, even when she is not really do anything that bad.

YES Jodi was doing her a favor. And yes perhaps her choice of wording, "do me a favor", wasn't right. But she has EVERY right as the mother of these children to call and ask her not to give them gum anymore, regardless of why or how many favors someone does for her. They are her kids, and no gum is her rule. Period!

Just my 2 cents!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
So much generosity has come this woman's way, to listen to the repeated tantrums about how hard she has it is just super annoying.
Exactly.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM

I said previously that I didn't think the phone call was THAT bad- not the absolute best delivery, but it wasn't outright rude imo. I wonder though, if all of those cracks BEFORE the phone call helped others to think it was rude. Those are what I thought were bad. The, "What person would give a 3 year old gum?" and the "What was she thinking!" in that condescending tone while on camera, which she had to know Jodi would see. I don't think she would have dared said those things to her face, so it rubbed me the wrong way that she'd say them in such a passive aggressive way.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Yes she did get out for a nice day but it certainly wasn't perfect. Mady had the meltdown at the mall because Kate brought her bear with as a surprise, and then the rest of the kids were in full wild mode when they picked them up at Jodi's (I'm sure she also found out about the hole in the wall), I wouldn't doubt that everyone was wound up when they got home and all of that energy on top of trying to prepare dinner only to find that all of the kids have gum stuck to them. Honestly, I could see how all of that after a nice day could push organized Kate over the edge.

Regardless, she had a bad moment, said some things she didn't mean, and probably spent some nice moments with her kids after the cameras were turned off for the day. Not every moment can make it on television so I would guess that the gum freak out is better television than bedtime stories.
She also mentioned that she had a bunch of stuff to pack (for something).
Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 PM

I find it strange that so many people don't see anything wrong with Jodi asking (six) 3yo's if they're allowed to chew gum or not?? What kid is going to say NO to that? Especially in this case when they know it's something rare (only on plane rides) to get gum. Why didn't she just call up Jon and Kate and ask them? I mean, seriously.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug View Post
I have to be honest I find this a bit rude. Just because I don't find her tonet rude does not mean the kind of tone YOUR hearing is my norm or anyone else that thinks her tone was fine. That comment was imo uncalled for. I applaud you if you have never in your life had any tone other then sweet but for most people sometimes we get upset and have some sort of tone other then kind and loving.

Most of the time in this thread I agree when Kate seems to have a nasty tone, but this truly is not one of them. I think that the general opinion of her tends to now cloud how people see every episode and every little thing she says and does is put under a microscope, even when she is not really do anything that bad.

YES Jodi was doing her a favor. And yes perhaps her choice of wording, "do me a favor", wasn't right. But she has EVERY right as the mother of these children to call and ask her not to give them gum anymore, regardless of why or how many favors someone does for her. They are her kids, and no gum is her rule. Period!

Just my 2 cents!
Yeah... My issue is with her wording. If you look back at what I've posted you'll see that I said that while she can say "no gum for my kids" she could've said it a lot nicer. She could've choosen her words better. So it's kind of weird that you're arguing with me about it because we obviously agree. My general opinion of her is that she's a great mom. I have always liked Kate. I happen to believe she was acting awful in this episode and I'm just stating my opinion in regards to this episode. I mean, this TV thread IS here to discuss the show, it's not a fan club only.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
I find it strange that so many people don't see anything wrong with Jodi asking (six) 3yo's if they're allowed to chew gum or not?? What kid is going to say NO to that? Especially in this case when they know it's something rare (only on plane rides) to get gum. Why didn't she just call up Jon and Kate and ask them? I mean, seriously.
Eh, I honestly don't see the big deal about a three year old *gasp* chewing gum. J&K even admitted that they had let the kids chew gum on the plane so it's not like a cardinal sin in their house. Maybe it was silly of her to think they'd give her an honest answer but I don't fault her for it. She also gives them non organic suckers which is against Kate's rules. Maybe Kate should find someone who is as strict as her to watch the kids...but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Kate also doesn't like the kids' clothes to get dirty as we've seen on the other episodes. So, is Jodi supposed to call Jon & Kate up before letting them color, use markers, run on the grass (if she thinks markers are hard to get out I imagine she'd faint at grass stains) etc...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM

And the thing is.....it's GUM. Not cancer. Not broken bones.

You've basically got a preschool class in your house. Kids get dirty and far, far worse. You get a grip. You don't lose it on your kids and everyone around you week after week, month after month. And if you do, maybe (just maybe) you should stop defending your behavior by blaming everyone around you and accepting the "I'm an inspirational mom" speaking gigs. Maybe.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Eh, I honestly don't see the big deal about a three year old *gasp* chewing gum. J&K even admitted that they had let the kids chew gum on the plane so it's not like a cardinal sin in their house. Maybe it was silly of her to think they'd give her an honest answer but I don't fault her for it. She also gives them non organic suckers which is against Kate's rules. Maybe Kate should find someone who is as strict as her to watch the kids...but somehow I doubt that will happen.
I was pointing out the fact that yes, she took their 3yo word for it. Giving gum to a 3yo doesn't seem like a big deal but to 6 of them at the same time? It clearly isn't the same. And even Jodi came to realize that.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
And the thing is.....it's GUM. Not cancer. Not broken bones.

You've basically got a preschool class in your house. Kids get dirty and far, far worse. You get a grip. You don't lose it on your kids and everyone around you week after week, month after month. And if you do, maybe (just maybe) you should stop defending your behavior by blaming everyone around you and accepting the "I'm an inspirational mom" speaking gigs. Maybe.
You crack me up!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
And even Jodi came to realize that.
Well of course. Everyone comes to see the error of their ways if Kate has anything to say about it.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Well of course. Everyone comes to see the error of their ways if Kate has anything to say about it.

Right back 'atcha!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2J View Post
I wonder though, if all of those cracks BEFORE the phone call helped others to think it was rude. Those are what I thought were bad. The, "What person would give a 3 year old gum?" and the "What was she thinking!" in that condescending tone while on camera, which she had to know Jodi would see. I don't think she would have dared said those things to her face, so it rubbed me the wrong way that she'd say them in such a passive aggressive way.

I think your right about that, this I agree with. She knew Jodi gave them the gum. But the thing is my guess is that after all this time with those cameras she is not thinking about what might air, kwim? Did it sound rude, you bet, but she was pissed and once she calmed down she realized Jodi didn't mean for it to be this big issue. I think Kate just says what pops in to her head, which even if not being filmed 24/7 is a BAD idea! :

Old 04-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah... My issue is with her wording. If you look back at what I've posted you'll see that I said that while she can say "no gum for my kids" she could've said it a lot nicer. She could've choosen her words better. So it's kind of weird that you're arguing with me about it because we obviously agree. My general opinion of her is that she's a great mom. I have always liked Kate. I happen to believe she was acting awful in this episode and I'm just stating my opinion in regards to this episode. I mean, this TV thread IS here to discuss the show, it's not a fan club only.

I read your post where you said you didn't like her tone, so that is what I was addressing when I posted about not hearing a bad tone. I toally agree that you can disagree with anything you see, however when you said

Quote:
Maybe those that think her tone was fine use that tone themselves with others so it would obviously seem fine if it's the norm for you. I just don't speak like that to people
that seemed rude to me as if we didn't hear her tone because we ourselves are used to being this way as well. Do you not see how that might be offensive to others?

I agree that she was a bit much in this episode, I hated how Colin cried and didn't understand why she was doing that to him. Be pissed about the gum, that is your right, but don't take it out on the children.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Just saw this and thought you might be interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Bless...8447977&sr=8-1

This is their new book. I did find it interesting that in the blurb about the book they say they try to honor Christ yet I see zero mention of church, religious studies etc. Though the girls do wear uniforms to school perhaps they go to christian school? Also I bet the church might not want the whole camera crew etc invading the services, so that makes sense too. On more thought religion is a very private matter for the most part and maybe that is one part of their lives they do not want to share

Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:

This is their new book. I did find it interesting that in the blurb about the book they say they try to honor Christ yet I see zero mention of church, religious studies etc. Though the girls do wear uniforms to school perhaps they go to christian school? Interesting

They do attend church, I believe a non-denominational. I remember them mentioning it's like 1 or 2 hours away? They eat breakfast in the car and it's a whole big thing.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Kate has mentioned that the reason that she dislikes when things happen on Saturdays is because that's her only day to relax (a relative term I know with Kate... she's a little high strung!) with Jon there to help her. Because on Sunday they go to church. And someone who comes to help them is from their church.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

This is their new book. I did find it interesting that in the blurb about the book they say they try to honor Christ yet I see zero mention of church, religious studies etc. Though the girls do wear uniforms to school perhaps they go to christian school? Interesting
I either saw J&K mention in an interview or in an article somewhere that TLC edits out the religious stuff as much as possible. Apparently the powers that be at the network decided that they wanted to concentrate on the secular aspects of the family and leave out their religion/faith.

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:49 PM

I love this show!
I give mad props to John and Kate for being able to handle that many kids all under the age of 8.

Although i did see the gym incident and i do agree that she was rude, and Colin didn't know any better, and she shouldn't haven taken it out on him.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:

This is their new book. I did find it interesting that in the blurb about the book they say they try to honor Christ yet I see zero mention of church, religious studies etc. Though the girls do wear uniforms to school perhaps they go to christian school? Also I bet the church might not want the whole camera crew etc invading the services, so that makes sense too. On more thought religion is a very private matter for the most part and maybe that is one part of their lives they do not want to share
On the Mother's Day episode, where John made her breakfast in bed, after that they were all getting ready to go to church. And if you'll notice, on their kitchen cabinets they have pieces of paper taped to them with either spiritual sayings or bible versus....it's one or the other, but I can't think right now.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolagirl View Post
I either saw J&K mention in an interview or in an article somewhere that TLC edits out the religious stuff as much as possible. Apparently the powers that be at the network decided that they wanted to concentrate on the secular aspects of the family and leave out their religion/faith.
That doesn't surprise me. I bet it's due to the Duggar backlash.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2J View Post
That doesn't surprise me. I bet it's due to the Duggar backlash.
What's the Duggar backlash? I've been wondering if they are
pregnant again or what's going on with them. They haven't
had a new show in forever.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Oh, nothing new. Just a lot of people reacted really negatively to them, especially when the shows first came out. I guess in the begining, the shows had more religious content, and they slowly edited it out b/c of what the viewers were saying. I think I remember hearing that they had references to the Pearls, among other things on their website.

They did one of their "new" shows with 95% recycled material not long ago when Jennifer (#18? maybe 17?) was born. I want to say it was last summer- June or July.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 PM

Ok your right, now that you talk about it I do remember them saying those things about eating in the car, etc. Sorry my mind is still not right and baby is 1! :

Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Ok, who watched last night? :
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 AM

I did. Kate has some serious cleaning issues goin' on. I loved the fact that Jon stood up for himself and didn't give up. And especially the way he said, "Stop cleaning! Play with your kids!" The only problem was that she didn't listen to him.

Oh, and the way she was YELLING to him outside. Um, why would you want your neighbors to see/hear you talking like that? It was pretty rude.

But, I do love Kate and I know that she *does* play with kids, she's just also a cleaning fanatic.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 PM

I missed it!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:47 PM

"QUEEN BEE" had me rolling!!!

User Tag List