Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dds (16 and 12) and I are GEEKS for this show!

I know that the way Jon and Kate talk to each other sometimes bothers me, but I'm sure there are times that my dh and I aren't exactly cordial to each other, and we only have two kids!

We watch it purely for the entertainment value. I think Kate needs to be somewhat of a control freak because she's handling the house and kids all day long - I know she has help because they show some of the helpers on the TV show. Plus, she motivates me because I see how organized she seems to be. Maybe the kids whine a little more because they have to be a little louder than everyone else to be heard.

Dds and I would like to meet them someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM

I love this show.
She reminds me of me a lot of the time. I can be an uber bitch when I'm having to guide dh by the hand on how to take care of our triplets +1. He should know how to do the basic care for them by now and it's very frustrating when he doesn't.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#123 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM

Sometimes when they are talking by themselves to the camera I think they are really sweet together. And they seemed different while alone on vacation. She's a witch to him when she's stressed and freaking out, but I can't really blame her. Her job is freaking hard.
#124 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM
JnB

I was watching Access Hollywood tonight (I likes me some brain candy ) and on tomorrows show they are going to have the 8 kids on for a Halloween costume "fashion" show. The previews looked SO cute!
#125 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Forgot to mention that, my 3 yo ds is hooked on this show. He reminds me its on MOnday, *mommy dont forget your baby show!* he says to me lol he freakin loves the kids.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#126 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori View Post
I don't think you can really accurately understand their family dynamic with just 1 show.
Oh, I agree. I don't know how many shows they've done (specials and regular shows now), but I think I've seen them all. Even so, I know I can't judge much based on what is shown. Afterall, TLC is showing what sells the show. Everyday hum drum stuff that happens in most every household probably happens there, but they aren't showing that. And of course, the crew isn't in their house 24/7, ready to tape or taping.

That said, I think in a way Jon likes the way Kate treats him. Now, I am not saying how she treats him all of the time, but most of the time. That scene in Toys R Us where she was yelling at him, and then they went out to the van and he got on her for it. He was obviously ticked off. But otherwise, she can sit there with him and get mad about this and that.. talking down to him, and he SMILES. HE FLIPPIN' SMILES sometimes. I mean, what?! Weird.. Maybe he's embarassed though and I am reading his body language wrong.
#127 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 PM

I watched several times, and just can't watch anymore. Kate is so bitchy. I mean, if I knew her in real life, I don't think I'd like her much. She was terrible when hiring a housecleaner. I keep thinking-- stop cleaning your floors and play with some kids! They seem to be left to their own a lot.
#128 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Oh, did the cleaning the floors three times a day seem like too much to anyone else? Even I am a clean freak, probably OCDish in a way with it. But if I cleaned my floors like that more than once per day, my DH would be on my behind to knock it off and pay attention to something (or someone!) else.

Granted, we only have three young kids (plus two indoor/outdoor cats) where as they have eight young children.
#129 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 PM

The cleaning thing HAS to be an outlet for her. She can't control much in her life, but she CAN control how often she cleans. I don't think it's right to rag on her for that.

#130 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
That said, I think in a way Jon likes the way Kate treats him. Now, I am not saying how she treats him all of the time, but most of the time. That scene in Toys R Us where she was yelling at him, and then they went out to the van and he got on her for it. He was obviously ticked off. But otherwise, she can sit there with him and get mad about this and that.. talking down to him, and he SMILES. HE FLIPPIN' SMILES sometimes. I mean, what?! Weird.. Maybe he's embarassed though and I am reading his body language wrong.
DH totally agrees with you. He thinks that Jon likes it or at least expects it. When they met Jon was 22ish and living at home with his mother. So he probably went from one dominate female household to another one. He admitted once that he's a great "follower" (I can't remember the exact word he used but it was definitely the submissive role).
#131 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 PM

When they were carving the pumpkins and she had to stop everyone halfway to "clean up the mess" - stating that it just all of the sudden "hit" her (can you say anxiety?) and she HAD to clean it up before anyone else could go on - even though the pumpkin carving is supposed to be Jon's project - I thought WOW - she should really get some help with that OCD

On the other hand, I have to think that a lot of the fights and the stuff we find so appaling is either made for show or edited to look worse than it is. You can't believe everything you see on TV lol
#132 of 3013 Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 PM

Yeah, I think Kate said, "I'm the plan maker and you're the plan follower" and Jon agreed.

I also like the show. I agree that she can be pretty short with him sometimes, but like other posters have said, I'm glad the cameras aren't following my family around. We all have moments of stress that we would rather forget ever happened; hers are just on tv. But, when it comes down to it, they do love each other.

I enjoy watching her organization and cleaning obsessiveness. I can hardly get my to-do list done in a day with 2 kids!!

And I love that they value the importance of organic foods for the kids- one of my favorite shows was when she made all the meals to freeze so that her family would have healthy food to eat when she was off having surgery.

And, I'm sure they are getting paid to do the show (same with the Duggars)-both have bought new homes since their first episodes. Good for them! Ya know, I might allow cameras in my house for enough money!!

mom to G 6/19/03 and M 9/9/06
#133 of 3013 Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
The cleaning thing HAS to be an outlet for her. She can't control much in her life, but she CAN control how often she cleans. I don't think it's right to rag on her for that.
Even Kate herself admitted that three times a day was too much. I wasn't trying to rag on her at all. It's just that I don't see how it's needed. Now, maybe when the kids get to be a bit older, I could see..

Carissa - I agree, her focusing so much on how well they eat is awesome. I enjoy watching her grocery shop and then plan out their meals.
#134 of 3013 Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Even Kate herself admitted that three times a day was too much. I wasn't trying to rag on her at all. It's just that I don't see how it's needed.
That's why it's an outlet, because it's not needed in the sense that the floors are filthy, but to her, it is a need.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#135 of 3013 Old 10-26-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
That's why it's an outlet, because it's not needed in the sense that the floors are filthy, but to her, it is a need.
I understand that, that's why I pointed it out. I was basically trying to say a few posts up that I don't see how she finds time.

I'm apparently not doing well at wording my posts lately.

Okay, I apologize. Backing out of this thread now.. carry on..
#136 of 3013 Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy444 View Post
We watched this for the first -- and only -- time earlier this week. They could use a visit from Nanny 911 -- I never saw such a bunch of whiney kids. Yeah, it would be hard with so many little ones but they've learned that the louder they whine, the more response they get. I also noticed a lot of yanking on the arms and pulling the kids, by the parents -- not very gentle.
Don't you think that this is a bit harsh? I cannot even comprehend what the terrible twos would be like with 6 kids! No doubt the boring quiet moments are edited out in favor of the crazy whiney moments that make the show more interesting.
Saying that they need a visit from Nanny 911 because they whine seems a bit harsh!
#137 of 3013 Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitions View Post
Forgot to mention that, my 3 yo ds is hooked on this show. He reminds me its on MOnday, *mommy dont forget your baby show!* he says to me lol he freakin loves the kids.
Oh my kids love it too. They love all the kids.
#138 of 3013 Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
I watched several times, and just can't watch anymore. Kate is so bitchy. I mean, if I knew her in real life, I don't think I'd like her much. She was terrible when hiring a housecleaner. I keep thinking-- stop cleaning your floors and play with some kids! They seem to be left to their own a lot.
Totally agree.

She seems really miserable and taking it out on her kids and husband.
#139 of 3013 Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM

ok so DH and i watched a marathon the other night and i can't say i don't like Kate. her husband is like having a big selfish 2 year old. blech. i think she's a saint for not smacking him. then again the cameras tell us what we want to see. i'll give both of them the benefit of the doubt.

i need to watch this show way more. Kate totally inspires me. she strives to keep her family healthy AND manages to keep her home looking halfway decent. wow! where is her medal? and her therapist. poor girl is run thin. i have far more sympathy for her than anyone else on that show.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#140 of 3013 Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#141 of 3013 Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 PM

Kate has said several times on the show that the first year of the sextuplet's life was hard and that she sometimes wondered how they would put food on their table. She does more for her 8 kids than many moms do for just one or two kids, myself included. If they were offered free diapers or formula or aby food during the first year of the babies lives they would have been foolish not to accept knowing that the help would not be there forever.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to nitpick Kate for every little thing that she does but never seem to point out that she feeds her family mostly organic, healthy made from scratch meals, all they seem to see is that she serves those meals on an occasional paper plate.
#142 of 3013 Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM

Don't you just love those inflammatory drive-by postings. :

Anyways, while I don't agree with everything they do... I rarely agree with everything anyone does... I think they do a pretty good job all things considering.

Okay I'm REAAAALLY getting irritated with TLC. I've been trying to DVR the two episodes where they go the amusement parks (go Dutch & Sugar Rush) and they keeps listing them as those episodes in the descriptions but that isnt' the episodes that they show! Okay maybe part of the is my cable companies fault but its driving me crazy!!
#143 of 3013 Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Okay I'm REAAAALLY getting irritated with TLC. I've been trying to DVR the two episodes where they go the amusement parks (go Dutch & Sugar Rush) and they keeps listing them as those episodes in the descriptions but that isnt' the episodes that they show! Okay maybe part of the is my cable companies fault but its driving me crazy!!
I was about to : to you and I just realized, you live where I live.

#144 of 3013 Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Me, too!!!! And I have Directv and live in MD, so it much be TLC and not the TV companies. :
#145 of 3013 Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:

In Ohio, and having the same problem! Grrrr!
#146 of 3013 Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
I just don't understand why some people feel the need to nitpick Kate for every little thing that she does but never seem to point out that she feeds her family mostly organic, healthy made from scratch meals, all they seem to see is that she serves those meals on an occasional paper plate.
I think paper plates are the least of their problems.

If she fed those kids Lunchables for every meal, but seemed to spend quality time interacting with them and having a joyful time, I'd feel better about that.

As it is, cleaning and cooking while yelling at the kids to get out of her way seems really unpleasant and perhaps a bit off balance. If you choose to have that many kids, it seems to me, that you need to make a number of sacrifices--and floors that you could eat off shouldn't be higher on the list of priorities than spending time with those children. Things aren't more important than people.
#147 of 3013 Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 PM

a previous poster summed it up perfectly for me-why are they so special? And she's a PITA.

I am so tired of reality tv self-promotion, I swear. The episode where they were trying to get the twins into modeling (or getting their headshots done) clinched it for me. I can't help but feel icky about them!
#148 of 3013 Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM

I think it is a neat show - makes me realize that my life is pretty darn easy with my foursome. I can't imagine six of my 21 month old - it would have been a lot of work.

I think Kate does yell at Jon a fair bit - but sometimes I think what she says when my dh doesn't see the urgency in getting things done - she does says it. Can you imagine her state if she didn't say something - saying it is much better than internalizing it. I wish it was a bit more kind but it obvious works for them.

I think if she didn't obsess about the house it would be an all-out disaster in less than a day - my house is with 1/2 the kiddos! It bothers me to have a dirty house so I can only imagine.

I would hope, once the little ones are a bit older, that life becomes a bit more relaxed but with 2 six year olds and 4 two year olds - it must be wild just to get a meal on the table.

It is a neat insight into a very very busy household - six kiddos, or 8 kiddos or 10 kiddos doesn't really count unless they are all under 6 or 4. Older kiddos at least don't need help with all meals, diapers, bedtime routine, bathtime (yikes - that would be a challenge), a trip to the store, organizing meals. It amazes me how well organized she is.

Alright - enough - I admire them!
#149 of 3013 Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
The episode where they were trying to get the twins into modeling (or getting their headshots done) clinched it for me. I can't help but feel icky about them!
Actually that wasn't to get the twins into modeling... it was just to be fun and let the girls get to be "super girlie". Kate said she wasn't that kind of girl growing up but she didn't want the girls to not experience something fun like that.

She has made the comment that one of the twins would probably go into acting because she is such a "dramatic" type of personality ... not because they would push them into acting.
#150 of 3013 Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM

I just don't get it - people are criticizing this family because they are pretty much normal. I don't know about you but I argue and bicker with the hubby, sometimes spend too much time doing other things besides playing with my girls, on occasion I use paper plates, I am basically far from a perfect parent. This show is 30 minutes of vieo chosen from hours and hours of footage - of course they are going to choose the moments where the kids are cranky, Jon is messing up, Kate is complaining, etc. They seem like a pretty normal family to me who are doing a pretty darn good job raising their large family on their own. Why do people enjoy criticizing another mama to this degree is beyond me cause you know, people in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page