Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No joke.

I wish she could just pick up one of those crying babies instead of yanking them back over to "the rope."
#182 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thing is, the rope could be fun! I used to teach preschool, and there are lots of ways to make everyday routines and transitioms fun. I know it's hard when you're the mama--I was a lot more patient when I taught--but if I was going to filmed 24/7, I would try to put on my best face, you know?

I just don't get that they can't find anyone who would go with them to Hershey or Dutch Wonderland in exchange for a chance to be on camera. I'd do it, .

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#183 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 PM

I really brought this thread back because I wanted to dish about them too. :

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#184 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM

I guess being a family you pretty much have to, but they do seem to go on a lot of outings (and not just to the local park) that would require more assistance then a helper and cameras in your face constantly. The tempers do tend to flair a bit at times, but in a way they kind of ask for it. It seems like Kate puts more time in coordinating the outfits and having them look just perfect, than actually how to make things go just a little more smoothly once they are out the door. Does it ever cross her mind to sit back and think "Okay, what can we do when meltdowns start or what are we going to do if they kids get tired?" I still think when they went to the parade they should've had strollers and used that rope thing at a later time. By the time the parade was over, the poor babies were so tired and it's not like they were just walking a block or two not to mention they could barely keep up w/her.
#185 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
I guess being a family you pretty much have to, but they do seem to go on a lot of outings (and not just to the local park) that would require more assistance then a helper and cameras in your face constantly. The tempers do tend to flair a bit at times, but in a way they kind of ask for it. It seems like Kate puts more time in coordinating the outfits and having them look just perfect, than actually how to make things go just a little more smoothly once they are out the door. Does it ever cross her mind to sit back and think "Okay, what can we do when meltdowns start or what are we going to do if they kids get tired?" I still think when they went to the parade they should've had strollers and used that rope thing at a later time. By the time the parade was over, the poor babies were so tired and it's not like they were just walking a block or two not to mention they could barely keep up w/her.
A. If my kids were on camera I'd want them looking their cutest.
B. They're not babies, they're 3!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#186 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM

We aren't there in Kate and Jon's house, so we really can't judge them.

If cameras followed me around 24/7 they would catch lots of snarky comments to my husband, lapses in parenting judgement and even some weird quirks. I'm HUMAN.

Editing has to make Kate seem more intense.

Personally, if I had twins followed by sextuplets I would be permanently admitted into a mental facility. I can just keep up with my own two kids.

As for getting money from the TV show and sponsor; more power to them! If someone told me that I could send my kids to college by promoting certain complaies or taking freebies I would go for it.

Anyone want to sponsor a very boring mom with a 4 and 7 yo?
#187 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
A. If my kids were on camera I'd want them looking their cutest.
Sure. Except that it seems to come at the expense of the family's happiness in this case (Kate's screaming at Jon for picking the wrong things, the kids are waiting and wailing, Kate's all stressed out). It's such an easy thing to let go of, I can't believe they make it such a priority when it seems so clear that it. is. not. working.

I agree that the rope could be fun. I can't understand why--when you KNOW there is huge competition over resources with the six--that they keep suggesting to pick a specific color ring on the rope. Kooky!
#188 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post

I agree that the rope could be fun. I can't understand why--when you KNOW there is huge competition over resources with the six--that they keep suggesting to pick a specific color ring on the rope. Kooky!
Yeah, if I had eight kids, I'd either assign colors (heck, if I had six kids I would color code their stuff period. I actually do color code my four) OR I would make a rope where each loop was the same color. Why invite trouble?

#189 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Ok. I watch this.

From the first time I saw them using the rope and the kids crying over which color they got I wondered, "Why not sit everyone down and assign a certain color to each kid?" I mean, I'm surprised they haven't already!

And ya, the last few episodes have been pretty crazy. I'm exhausted just watching.
#190 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
I guess being a family you pretty much have to, but they do seem to go on a lot of outings (and not just to the local park) that would require more assistance then a helper and cameras in your face constantly .
I wonder how much of that is stuff the producers are asking for. It would be a lot harder to make an episode about a day where they just stayed home and colored.
#191 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I really brought this thread back because I wanted to dish about them too. :
#192 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM

I know earlier in the thread someone mentioned that Kate never "lets" Jon talk so last night I thought it was interesting that they asked a question and she looked at him and he wanted her to answer. She said "I always talk". So, it seems he just prefers that she do the talking.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#193 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth78 View Post
I wonder how much of that is stuff the producers are asking for. It would be a lot harder to make an episode about a day where they just stayed home and colored.
Exactly. I have four, and most days I would rather spork myself in the eye than take them all somewhere by myself.

ETA: Not that I don't love them and they aren't beautiful. I just don't like to go out alone with them because it's crazymaking.

#194 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 PM

Okay why would you try something new i.e. rope chain with the kids on an event day like 4th of July?? You test that out on a regular outing day... or at least that what I do with my four.

Yeah, mine are kind of color-coded too... it works that each child likes a different color right now.

Tori - Pink (preferably "fuschia")
Jack - Orange / Yellow
Aidan - Blue
Grace - Purple

I would definitely do it with 8.

It does seem like they try to do big events without extra hands an awful lot which of course does turn into lovely drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
I looked at dh and said "I guess she'd really be disgusted at my house, since I rarely do floors and let the kids eat anything that doesn't look too suspicious!" DH said, "I wouldn't brag about that."
She would be horrified by my floors.

Quote:
Exactly. I have four, and most days I would rather spork myself in the eye than take them all somewhere by myself.

ETA: Not that I don't love them and they aren't beautiful. I just don't like to go out alone with them because it's crazymaking.
: Pass a spork over here too.

I can't tell you how many times DH is like "why don't you take the kids and do such and such"... while he's gone. : I swear he's insane... like take them swimming... a 6.5 yr, 4.5 yr, 3 yr and 16 month... by MYSELF!! :

I have to take them out alone a lot more than I'd care to because DH is gone a lot with military stuff but still... if I can avoid it alone... I do.
#195 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM

I can't imagine finding anybody let alone more than one helper to come along with me on any given day. I can't find help with 2 let alone 8.

#196 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine finding anybody let alone more than one helper to come along with me on any given day. I can't find help with 2 let alone 8.
Yes, but you're not on TV. Heck, I'd tag along with her to get on TV (provided I can take my brood, LOL!)

#197 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you're not on TV. Heck, I'd tag along with her to get on TV (provided I can take my brood, LOL!)
Oh agreed!

I'm just referring to people coming down on them because they go out and do things with only two of them and all the kids.

#198 of 3013 Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I know earlier in the thread someone mentioned that Kate never "lets" Jon talk so last night I thought it was interesting that they asked a question and she looked at him and he wanted her to answer. She said "I always talk". So, it seems he just prefers that she do the talking.
In the episodes I've watched I noticed this, too.
#199 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 AM

I watch it just so I don't feel like my life is so out of control, haha. I'd have gone off the deep end with that many small children.

Did anyone else notice the HUGE PRODUCT PLACEMENT for the Rose Petal Cabin thing? Kids are playing and Kate says something like, "Joel put the baby in the washing machine. That's a man's way to give the baby a bath." Ugh. Not just the blatant product placement (guess who the sponsor was?) of an obnoxiously gender specific toy, but also the male bashing when he wasn't playing with it in just the prescribed way. So, so annoyed!
#200 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 10:23 AM

I've watched a few more episodes... I really hate saying it but they rub me the wrong way. I've seen more of Jon and he is indeed verbally abuse of her just like she is of him, though he tends to "take it" more than she does. I don't like the way they argue and show hostility in front of the kids. It really, really, bothers me. If I were in their house with them when they started in on each other, I'd want the floor to swallow me up.

However, she is so amazingly energetic for her kids... way more than I am. I do admire her a lot for that.

Yes, the rose petal cottage was a huge product placement-- there were ads for it all throughout the show.

Unless they are editing it to make it look this way, I still think the kids are unusually whiney and constantly crying... they just look miserable much of the time.
#201 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood
They're not babies, they're 3!
My dd is 7 and she is definately still my baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee
Unless they are editing it to make it look this way, I still think the kids are unusually whiney and constantly crying... they just look miserable much of the time.
Exactly. Even the older girls seem to whine and cry alot. I just want to pick them up and love 'em.
#202 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 AM

The "sit in the corner" thing makes me want to cry.

The tone in that family seems so hostile and sad in so many episodes.

I'm starting to notice that there is very little affection going on. It seems like the majority of the time that those kids are being touched is to be put somewhere or dressed or yanked along. I think I saw one instance of Kate holding and kissing one of the little girls in the last few episodes--it just stuck out as something not shown much.
#203 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

monkey's mom-- that's true! I really haven't seen her snuggle/ carry much.

Can anyone remember if the Duggars are physicially affectionate? I keep comparing jon & kate to the other "huge family" shows I've seen. If I remember, in the Duggars and a couple other big families (one was from britain and there are 2 other american ones I've seen) the mom always had one of the kids in her arms, and the siblings showed each other affection too. I know there are a lot of very little kids in that house but it seems the older ones are totally checked out from the younger ones.
#204 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Kate is a doer - she has great energy and even brushes the 6 kids' teeth every morning after breakfast! WOW! just WOW! But she and the kids could benefit from a dirtier floor and mom just sitting and being with the kids. Remember the Bible story of Mary and Martha? Kate is Martha!
#205 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
You'd have to determine if the cost/ energy used to wash 1300 plates is really less than using 1300 paper plates. And what type are they? The thin kind that are really just thick napkins? Is she recycling? If she's recycling the plates it might not necessarily be more wasteful than washing 1300 dishes. I think she would need 2 dishwashers for that (like the Duggers, they have at least 2 industrial dishwashers).
No problem with Jon and Kate. But, you cannot recycle dirty/used paper plates. The cost/energy used to wash 1300 plates is a better deal on the environment in my opinion. I mean, isn't this the same as comparing cost/energy of cloth diapers compared to disposable. Granted a paper plate will break down faster in a landfill but that is the only advantage I see. I have been tempted to switch over to many paper products. I am about to give birth to my 6th baby anyday. But, thinking about the planet in regards to sending my children into the future we do not buy any paper products except toilet paper. No paper towels, no disposable anything. I think these larger families should consider their footprint they are leaving behind even more than the average smaller family. I know we do and I would feel I am not being responsible to my children, the human race, or the planet if we did not.
#206 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post

THe one thing that alarmed me about Jon & Kate is the sextuplets' 3rd b-day party. Neither Jon nor Kate's parents were there. SHe said they're both estranged from their parents (she put it in different terms) and I thought that was very odd. She must have past issues with her parents and that's what makes her a control freak.
That might not be true. I like the show too. I hated to see her speaking to Jon like that at times but the reality is that it is, well... reality! Sometimes we say or do rude things to those we love.

We are about to have our 6th, my husband's 7th child. And we have no help from family. I am estranged from my parents and from my husbands parents. It did not make me a control freak but it does add for more stress because of less help. At least they have friends to help them out. It is sad to say we don't even have that at all.
#207 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Kate has said several times on the show that the first year of the sextuplet's life was hard and that she sometimes wondered how they would put food on their table. She does more for her 8 kids than many moms do for just one or two kids, myself included. If they were offered free diapers or formula or aby food during the first year of the babies lives they would have been foolish not to accept knowing that the help would not be there forever.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to nitpick Kate for every little thing that she does but never seem to point out that she feeds her family mostly organic, healthy made from scratch meals, all they seem to see is that she serves those meals on an occasional paper plate.
I really do like the family. Kate is doing a great job I think. It is great that she stays at home with them. Keeps the house clean. Feeds them healthy foods. Does seem very loving to the kids. Tries to give them some normalcy with regular outings and such. I know with our size family things can get stressful and it doesn't always bring out the best. The kids can be and usually are me and my husband's number one thing that causes us to be snappy with each other or downright argue.
#208 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
I watch it just so I don't feel like my life is so out of control, haha. I'd have gone off the deep end with that many small children.

Did anyone else notice the HUGE PRODUCT PLACEMENT for the Rose Petal Cabin thing? Kids are playing and Kate says something like, "Joel put the baby in the washing machine. That's a man's way to give the baby a bath." Ugh. Not just the blatant product placement (guess who the sponsor was?) of an obnoxiously gender specific toy, but also the male bashing when he wasn't playing with it in just the prescribed way. So, so annoyed!
She actually didn't tell him to put the baby in the washing machine. She said "Joel, babies don't go in the washing machine. Well, I guess that's the mans way of giving a bath" Har Har. People take things WAY too seriously.

#209 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
The "sit in the corner" thing makes me want to cry.
What's the alternative for her? At least they don't spank which I think for being so mainstream is saying A LOT. After the corner the little boy ran and tackeled his brother and they all started laughing. They hugged. Yeah, no affection at all. :

#210 of 3013 Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
You know, after reading many posts criticizing the way Jon and Kate raise their kids all I have to say is that I am glad I do not have a film crew following me around for untold number of hours a week because I just cringe at the thought of the 30 minutes of video they would choose to make up an episode of the show. Undoubtedly they could make me look like a heinous mom. Each episode is less than 30 minutes of their lives, chosen by discovery channel/TLC to make up an interesting episode. I have no doubt in my mind that they love their children, it just seems as if scenes of the kids whining/fighting/crying are more interesting to watch than scenes of the kids behaving like angels. Personally, the Gosselin kids just seem like normal kids to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page