Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who else is watching? (It's a reality show on TLC.)

They have 2 six-year-olds and 6 two-year-olds! Wow!! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

OK, a couple of things about this family that bother me:

1. In a couple of episodes Kate is carrying a rolled up tube thing when she gives the sextuplets time-outs. I think she spanks them but it gets edited out of the final show.

2. Please don't photograph poop in the potty. I don't care if it's the first poop the kid ever did in the potty. Do.Not.Photograph.It.

3. Yes, your 6yo twin girls are very cute. But please don't make them kiddie models, or go the pageant route. Just no.

4. Kate, you need some therapy, girl. I know you are stressed out but that is no excuse to verbally abuse your husband. Ick.

5. Don't take 8 kids to Toys R Us. Ever. :
#3 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 AM

I'm such a sucker for the tv shows about multiples. I'm just in awe of parents who manage that many children. I have a hard enough time with two
#4 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 PM

I love this show
#5 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 PM

I've been watching and enjoying this show. The only thing that drives me nutty is the sposies and paper plates, but I can totally see why she would with 6 babies.
#6 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

I could NOT believe when she said they use 1300 paper plates every 3 months, or something like that?? Sheesh, kill a few millions trees why don't they?
#7 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Is this a series? Shoot, I keep seeing it's on but I thought it was the same episode. Rats.

Something about these people irks me a little bit- like Cranberry said- the way Kate talks to Jon is pretty obnoxious... & I was upset that she left all her kids for a week or more to have plastic surgery- even though I KNOW her stomach skin was hanging down to her knees... but I thought that could have waited till the kids were a little older.

Then again I have never had 2 six year olds, & 6 two year olds, so who am I to judge?
#8 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 PM

When is it on?

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#9 of 3013 Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I love this show. I cannot imagine ever being in their position in life so I feel that I really have no right to judge them. Honestly, the kids all seem really happy normal kids.
#10 of 3013 Old 05-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Did anyone see the episode when she went grocery shopping? She spend 150.00 a wk on food. With ten people in the house how is that possible: We spend that a wk at the grocery store and there are only 4 of us She cannot be including diapers/cleaning supplies or toiletries in this trip.
#11 of 3013 Old 05-16-2007, 03:25 PM

I think when she went grocery shopping she spent that much at that particular store which kind of lead me to believe that she shops at another store also.

I also think she talks down to her husband way too much for me.

I also didn't quite get the photographing of the twins, was it for a special occasion or what?

The kids are adorable though.
#12 of 3013 Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
I think when she went grocery shopping she spent that much at that particular store which kind of lead me to believe that she shops at another store also.

I also think she talks down to her husband way too much for me.

I also didn't quite get the photographing of the twins, was it for a special occasion or what?

The kids are adorable though.
No, she siad she only spends about $150 a week on groceries because Jon then said hey that $15 a person each week. Amazing! She said she keeps it low by using coupons and rainchecks and she stocks up when things are on sale. She doesn't buy crap either - she had organic veggies and lots of whole grain bread (she was loading their freezer up). She also only went to one store - she had 2 hours to shop while the kids slept and there was a timer running in the corner. Wish I could shop as efficiently.
#13 of 3013 Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianchick View Post
When is it on?
Mondays at 9pm on TLC.
#14 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 02:05 AM

That makes me sad about the rolled up tube, I hope she isnt spanking them

I dont like the whole "go sit in the corner" thing and "say sorry" -- both are things that just annoy me though.

I saw how she was yelling at her husband in the store! Like he was a child. "Come HERE" with her fingers snapping and pointing ROFL. My DH would have walked out.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#15 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 AM

i LOVE that show

but like others have already mentioned, she does down talk her dh ALOT : ..i don't think i could deal with that on a daily biasis..then again, they have 8 kids under 8, i probably couldn't deal with that either
#16 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM

Dh and I have been watching this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
I could NOT believe when she said they use 1300 paper plates every 3 months, or something like that?? Sheesh, kill a few millions trees why don't they?
Ugh, I know! : That really bothers me.

The nap time thing bugs me too.
#17 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM

I just heard about this show from some moms in our playgroup. My DVR is showing it does not come on again until the 29th, and that's a rerun on the Discovery Health Channel. Anyone seeing anything different?
#18 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love this show! Its also on Discovery Health. What an awesome SAHM. I think they do the best they can. That would be crazy!!!

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#19 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM

I was looking all over the guide for this show and can't find it. I went online and it says Discovery Health for me, too, but it's not coming up for me on my dvr. I guess it's still too early for mine (Tivo only does 10 days in advance, so if the next one is scheduled for the 29th, it's too soon to be showing up).

I do remember seeing a show regarding this couple, but it wasn't called Jon & Kate plus 8. I think it focused on her surgery on her tummy. Some plastic surgeon's wife saw her on a show and offered their services to get all that extra flab off. Her tummy looks fab now!

I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

re: her talking down to him and talking to him like he's a child- I saw a clip of an interview online and he said they met while he was 22 and living at home with his mom still. So, I think he just went from his mom to his wife-mom, ya know? He's probably used to doing what he is "told." I dunno, just a theory!
#20 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 06:01 PM

She seems to be a bit of a control freak, but I'm not sure how you survive with 8 little kids not being a control freak, you know? They seem to really have it together, which I find pretty amazing, considering I can barely handle my two some days.

I don't use paper plates so she can use my share. I can't imagine doing dishes for 10 people 3 times a day, plus snacks, 7 days a week. I whine about emptying my dishwasher every other day....
#21 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM

The first time I saw a show about their family (pre- "jon and Kate + 8" series) I actually thought "wow, she has 8 and her house seems more sane than our house with ONE" I guess it was the whole "I get up, go downstairs, drink coffee, and make breakfast while my twins entertain the babies" and the tight schedule they're on... like everyone takes a nap at a given time, everyone goes to bed at a given time. I guess you need that with sextuplets... no babywearing exclusive breastfeeding cosleeping with 6 babies.

Am I the only one who is slightly bothered by all the "look at my big family! I went on fertility drugs and now we have a ton of kids who are all the same age! wheeeeee!" shows?
#22 of 3013 Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Yea pretty much my plan of "hmmmm, what should I make for breakfast?" at 1030 wouldnt really fly with 8 kids.
#23 of 3013 Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM

She is more organized than I am w/one, but I guess that's where the control freak comes in handy. And even though she seems to be a control freak - at least she admits to it.
What's up with the nap thing? Did I miss something with that?
#24 of 3013 Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

The thing I hated about the nap is that the 6 kids must stay in their cribs until the mom goes up to get them. If any of them get out of their crib before naptime is up, they must then spend another 45 minutes in the crib. I think a 45 minute punishment is totally lost on a 2 year old... definitely a little harsh.
#25 of 3013 Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

About when & where it's on... here's the schedule page from TLC from this week. It was on Monday.

But it's also listed here on Discovery Health, so I guess it depends on what cable stations you have.
#26 of 3013 Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 PM

I love this show. I could never ever do all that she does in a day. Like the pp i whine that i have to empty the dishwasher once a day. It does suck that she's using paper, but i can't judge. She has to do what she can in order to take care of SIX kids who are 2, and then 2 older ones. I can barely keep it together with two who are three years apart. I wish i had some of the organization she does.
Her kids do all seem really happy, and you can tell she loves them all a lot.
As for how she treats her husband , thats just how their relationship is. She is the boss of the family, she is stressed. But its their relationship, not mine. Whatever works for them i guess.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#27 of 3013 Old 05-19-2007, 05:34 PM

It finally showed up the other day on my DVR listing. Mine is on Discovery Health Channel. I got a season pass for it and look forward to watching. It won't be back on until the 29th, though.
#28 of 3013 Old 05-19-2007, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the family's website... beautiful pictures!
#29 of 3013 Old 05-19-2007, 11:33 PM

I watched the show. I didn't notice the rolled up toilet paper tube. I'll have to keep a lookout for it. Could it be a toy?...Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. I'm very into GD. I don't like the idea of the kids being swatted with a toilet paper roll. Overall, they seem like loving parents. They're pretty honest about their relationship esp him. Some of his comments make me laugh. Doesn't seem like they get a lot of personal time together as a couple but with 8 children I would imagine it's very difficult to have a date night.

My dh watched the show with me one night. It was the episode where John and his friend put up new shelving in the garage for all stuff they have. DH thought Kate was bossy to John but I honestly didn't see that. My perspective could be off-kilter for I'm somewhat bossy. Considering she's at home for nearly 12 hours by herself with that many children, I think she's quite nice to her husband.

Kate looks great for someone who has had 8 children.

I love the custom made table they have for the sextuplets. It's more practical than 6 high chairs. She's not very NFL but the kids seem to get nutritious food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post

Am I the only one who is slightly bothered by all the "look at my big family! I went on fertility drugs and now we have a ton of kids who are all the same age! wheeeeee!" shows?

I know what you mean. It seems there have been a spate of such shows but in the case of John and Kate they used fertility drugs because she has polycystic ovarian syndrome and she could only conceive using medication.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#30 of 3013 Old 05-20-2007, 11:27 AM

you can order that tableout of child care furniture catalogs i saw it in some of the catalogs the center i worked at had.... very cool... especialy when we put our 1 yr olds in chairs at a table and they spend half of every meal scooching the chairs away from the table., lol

ive seen the show once or twice- i saw the plastic surgery one, and the one where they took the twins to the american girl place- i was so jealous

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page