Real Housewives of NYC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else watching? I couldn't get into the OC housewives but this show is my dirty little secret.
Thoughts:
-somebody get Bethenny to a 12 step meeting ASAP
-Simon has to be the creepiest guy ever. My husband better not pick out my outfit for me
-wait, Ramona's husband is vaguely creepy too. I wouldn't want to force my daughter to spend time with him when she clearly didn't want to.
-LuAnn is my favorite so far
#2 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM

See, I'm the exact opposite of you...OC is my guilty pleasure, but I just canceled my season pass on my DVR for this one. I just couldn't get into these ladies.
#3 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think I prefer NYC.

Simon creepy....I think SHE is creepy as well. The way they are together totally creepy!

I like LuAnn too. Though she has her moments.

Ramona is a freak!
#4 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 PM

I can't get into NYC. they skeeve me out and the drama over how sad it was that the one couple was upset having to put their ds in public preschool *oh the horror* j/k

now the OC...
#5 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM

hahah!! i have only seen this show once or twice but i love the Countess! lol!

and oh the burden of the hamptons!
#6 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh my gosh! These women!! I love the OC one, I really do, but these ladies---wow.

The woman that is attached to her husband and they never do anything alone??? Come on!! They are all snooty and snobby and only concerned with networking. They are just pretending to be someone else. Did you see their house? All worried about what they are spending on her dress and stuff and living in a construction project. So fake it's really awful.

Bethanny was on The Apprentice wasn't she? I kind of like her.

Ramona with her "girls night" freak out and then everyone talking about class and grace just cracked me up. Be polite and excuse yourself early if you don't want to be there. She made a right fool out of herself.

I like the Countess so far, she cracked me up.
#7 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM

I'm a former New Yorker and think some of their choices for what constitutes New York society are hilarious! Namely Ramona. She's clearly on the bottom of the totem pole, as are Alex and Simon. For all their grandiosity, it must kill them that they're in Cobble Hill-their brownstone isn't even on a tree-lined street (speaking tongue-in-cheek, here .) Bethenny is kind of cool in that she is kind of on the fringes, yet she's ok with that and has funny observations about the insanity of it all. I like LuAnn and Jill the best-they're funny and real, although LuAnn strikes me as being a little desperate hanging out with that younger, hipper girl. Simon absolutely makes me want to hurl-especially when they shot him standing on the corner with his foot up on the streetlight, and in his speedo! Ramona is a total nightmare. She's the perfect example of how money can't buy class.
#8 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM

I love the OC one....when will it be back on?????

I hate the NYC one. I can't even get into it. They are way
too into themselves. Take themselves wayyyy too seriously.
#9 of 71 Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 PM

OMG!!! i'm so happy someone posted this, i was just going to ask if anyone watches it.

ok, so where do i start?

Ramona..girl, i don't know it is about her, but darn she's not very good at socializing with others i DO love how she goes on & on about "being a independant woman" i haven't seen that lesson taught to any of hte kids.

Luann, i LOVE her, she's my favorite. Another posted mentioned about her hanging out with the hipster chick, thats her neice that she's really close to. I feel sorry for her ds Noelle(is that his name ? dunno) it seems like she's rarely at home for dinner,it was kind of sad for me to watch last night while he was pratically begging for his mom to be home early

Jill she is also a fav of mine, i love how she says things as it is. I wonder what's up with the relationship Ally(her dd) and her dh

Alex..lord, someone needs to give that chica a wake up call, and her dh simon..uggh! they're SO FAKE is laughable!

Bethanny..i love her, and i love that she is the sane one from the bunch
#10 of 71 Old 04-10-2008, 01:07 AM

They are all so desperate and clueless. It's really sad, actually. This show could be in Webster's under why money doesn't buy class.

I liked the OC version better.

OK, for fun, take the Real Housewives Personality Quiz. Which one are you??
http://www.bravotv.com/Real_Housewiv...quiz/index.php

I went to take it and was stumped on the first question. None of those sound like me.

OK...I took it anyway, I'm Luann. So y'all can call me Countess Umsami.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#11 of 71 Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Countess Mata, here.

lena1984-ok, that makes it slightly better that she's her niece. Still-I laughed when the lead singer cringed at LuAnn screaming and waving her rave necklace at him.

I used to do event planning in NYC-celebrity bar/bat mitzvahs, mostly. These folks always hired b boys/girls off the street to teach their kids how to dance-just like LuAnn.

As was the case with the OC women, many of the offspring have more sense than their mothers!

Oh, and I think the funniest line for me was in the first episode when Ramona said something about people envying NY women's style-it's true that NY women do have great style, but not her! Good lord, it's obscene how she walks in a mini skirt with her legs wide open!
#12 of 71 Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM

: countess umsami and mata, pleasure to meet you

yeah, i totally forgot about luann hiring a bboy for her ds to take lessons, i'm not hip AT ALL, but i sure thought it was kind of cute watching him dance, poor kid is going to need some street credit besides just classes

the show is my guilty pleasure!
#13 of 71 Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 PM

I love the show, too. I might even like the NYC one better than OC. Haven't totally decided yet, but it's probably because I daydream about living in NYC.

Anyway, if you ask me, the NY ladies make the OC ones look like bag ladies.

I also like Luann the best, but was really turned off by her demand to be addressed as the Countess to "the help".
#14 of 71 Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmergal2005 View Post
I love the show, too. I might even like the NYC one better than OC. Haven't totally decided yet, but it's probably because I daydream about living in NYC.

Anyway, if you ask me, the NY ladies make the OC ones look like bag ladies.

I also like Luann the best, but was really turned off by her demand to be addressed as the Countess to "the help".
Really? I think the OC ladies show so much more class. They don't act like it's about who you know and who knows you as much. They are just living their lives. The NY women (and Simon) all seem like posers, except The Countess. I only heard her say that she was Mrs. Whatever to "the help". I'm not that kind of person, but I can sort of understand it.

Ramona is super crazy.
#15 of 71 Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 PM

Well I don't know what my problem is...I can't stand any of them, but I still HAVE to watch it .
Yea I hated how the Countess's ds was begging for her to come home and how the nanny was saying that she basically never spent time with her kids. And I think this was a preview for next week, a clip of Countess saying something about not letting kids into your bed because they'd have sleep problems. And when she went out with her niece she was saying how it was fun to get out and forget about being a mom. She may have the status to make her snobbishness more understandable than say, Ramona but I find her just dreadful.
Bethenny has diarrhea of the mouth and Ramona is disgusting. I kind of like Jill though.
Ok off to watch new Thursday night tv!
#16 of 71 Old 04-11-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
Really? I think the OC ladies show so much more class. They don't act like it's about who you know and who knows you as much. They are just living their lives. The NY women (and Simon) all seem like posers, except The Countess. I only heard her say that she was Mrs. Whatever to "the help". I'm not that kind of person, but I can sort of understand it.

Ramona is super crazy.
By bag ladies, I meant money. The NY ladies are ridiculously rich (so it seems) compared to the OC ones.
#17 of 71 Old 04-11-2008, 06:20 AM

Oh man, I really want to like these ladies, I do. But, I just can't stand any of them really. I do like Bethenny, but the others, .

I do think the OC ladies are so much more in touch with reality.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#18 of 71 Old 04-13-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmergal2005 View Post
By bag ladies, I meant money. The NY ladies are ridiculously rich (so it seems) compared to the OC ones.
I bet they are more in debt than anything and just trying to fool
everyone into thinking that they have a lot.

Alex and Simon make me sick. I want to puke on them.
They think their sh*t don't stink.

I am so ready for the OC housewives to come back on. At least
they act crazy and cut loose from time to time. These NY women
need to relax!
#19 of 71 Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
I bet they are more in debt than anything and just trying to fool
everyone into thinking that they have a lot.

Alex and Simon make me sick. I want to puke on them.
They think their sh*t don't stink.

I am so ready for the OC housewives to come back on. At least
they act crazy and cut loose from time to time. These NY women
need to relax!
:

Isn't Alex from the midwest and Simon from Australia? They're both pretending to be so French. It's quite funny and pathetic. What's so great about her little boy being able to translate a menu into Latin? My daughter can't do that and I'm quite proud of that. I'm such a slacker mom.

Alex is quite horsefaced. I'm sorry if that's against the UA. She and Simon try way way too hard to seem classy. They're nouveau-riche. You don't see any really established rich NYC families on this show. My guess is they're too classy to be on a reality show like this.

I wonder if these kids get any unstructured fun playtime? My guess is they don't.

My favorite of the bunch is Jill. She'd be the one I would most like to hang out with if I were a socialite in NYC.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#20 of 71 Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 PM

These women are slightly pathetic.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#21 of 71 Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM

I can't really enjoy this show because these women are honestly too "real" for me, and not in a good way. They just remind me of the women I fight with at work (in NYC) all the time. bleh. The constant sarcasm, whining, and social climbing. double bleh.

I do enjoy the OC ladies though--because that is such a different world for me. Boob jobs! Injections! Tarty clothing! The general airheadedness 99% of the time. I can't imagine being able to go through life like that, so it's kind of fun escapism.
#22 of 71 Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
I am so ready for the OC housewives to come back on. At least they act crazy and cut loose from time to time. These NY women need to relax!
Exactly. I think that being an east coast person all my life and in NY for most of it, the OC folks are like beings from another planet to me and so I enjoy them more then the New Yorkers.
#23 of 71 Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 AM

I was wondering if anyone else watched this show. I haven't watched too many episodes. I can't figure out if I like it or hate it though.
#24 of 71 Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I can't figure out if I like it or hate it though.
Well I know I hate it but I still have to watch it
#25 of 71 Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM

I don't get why the women on this spinoff and the OC show are called housewives. None of these women are traditional housewives. They're so far from it.

Bethany most certainly isn't a housewife. She's not even married! How dare she be on this show?!

#26 of 71 Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
Well I know I hate it but I still have to watch it
I am leaning towards that side as well.
#27 of 71 Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercranegirl View Post
Anyone else watching? I couldn't get into the OC housewives but this show is my dirty little secret.
Thoughts:
-somebody get Bethenny to a 12 step meeting ASAP
-Simon has to be the creepiest guy ever. My husband better not pick out my outfit for me
-wait, Ramona's husband is vaguely creepy too. I wouldn't want to force my daughter to spend time with him when she clearly didn't want to.
-LuAnn is my favorite so far
I like Luann, but she does think she is above the average person. Ok so you dont want to be introduced to the driver because you are a snob. You refuse to shake his hand, and you make a big deal about it. But overall she is ok. I like their nanny!

Simon is SO creepy, and so is his wife. They are just weirdos. Like Bethenny said, they try to impress people but come off as pretentious.

Love Bethenny. She is hilarious! And definitely not a snob in any way.

Jill is pretty down to earth too, and very smart. And I like her accent

Ramona is desperate and obnoxious. And very rude when she made a scene at the girls night out and left like that.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#28 of 71 Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM

Ramona i think is her name, she is a drama queen, attention (you-know-what) LOL!
Simon is a little bit too mushy for me, i never cared for man that buy things for you everyday, and his attached to the hip 24/7. i like my space. LOL! His wife Alex is fake to me. so they are a great couple, two fakes! LOL

I Love Bethenny & Jill (Jill reminds me of the Joy on The View) LOL!
#29 of 71 Old 04-15-2008, 05:28 PM

Yes, Jill does seem like Joy Baehr's younger daughter, doesn't she?
I had the same thought. They have the same accent, same haircolor, and same straightforward no-nosense manner about them.

Much as I find Alex and Simon annoying the show wouldn't be the same without their desperate social climbing escapades.

#30 of 71 Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Just saw the new one...

Bethenny is the only one with half a clue. I liked her best this episode, especially when she had enough of Jill's materialism. I think they have a good solid friendship that can handle each other's quirkiness.

I almost barfed watching Ramona's face turn to goo. EWWWWWW. I'd rather wrinkle gracefully than become an alien every month just to look 18 forever.

Poor Francois and Johann (insert any foreign grammar marks that I can't get to appear on my keyboard.) They seem like happy normal kids who are expected to be college level linguists when, really, they just want to play. The back and forth between the psychologists office and Alex's interview was both funny and heartbreaking. At least Alex & Simon seem like they are extremely caring and active parents.

LuAnn slipped a few notches this episode. I'm glad she was volunteering. But it seemed like it was more for her own good than the good of the person she was helping. If. she really wanted to make an impact she should have taken the woman out for a chi chi lunch and have her meet some people that could get her an interview on the ground floor somewhere.

I have too many friends like Jill. I was laughing in every scene that she was in. You love them and want to strangle them at the same time.

Housewives, I'll miss thee.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page