So You Think You Can Dance starts Thurs., May 22nd!! - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

#391 of 402 Old 08-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i agree that it should have been katee or twitch... but i think they all will have dance careers after this if they want one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 of 402 Old 08-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
Well, they kept referring to Josh as an "untrained dancer"... even though technically, he's not self-taught, and HAS had training. Perhaps they mean a certain standard of training? I just felt irked whenever they brought it up. I think I'd have liked Joshua a lot better if that hadn't been in my head. It seemed manipulative somehow, either him putting on this "keepin it real" facade where he didn't want to acknowledge that he'd taken ballet classes or the judges for trying to sell us on the "untrained street dancer angle."

I thought for sure Katee would win. Voting for talent, she had it hands down. For personality and lovability, IMO Twitch. I was disappointed in the results this year. I remember being disappointed last year too though.

And if they DO NOT FIX THE CAMERA WORK I'm not watching next season. I can't take it anymore. :
Well, remember - it's America's favorite dancer who wins, not the best - which would be a ridiculous claim anyhow, as America's 'best' dancers usually are not vying for a win on a reality TV competition (not bashing or being elitist, it's just the truth). Danny Tidwell would have won last year, had that been the case.

And yes - I was confused constantly by the references to Joshua as an untrained dancer, when he has a formal dance background. Seems manipulative.
#393 of 402 Old 08-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
I'm a dance teacher, and have heard from folks who have auditioned that the auditions are contrived - as in, who they let through. An obvious example is in the case of auditionees like 'Sex' who actually gets through the prelim. group auditions (before the dancing that you actually see, there are group auditions where groups are randomly assigned a genre and are cut accordingly) and is actually allowed to appear in front of the judges, while dancers and former students of mine who actually have decent ability get cut before getting a chance to do participate in the televised auditions. It's all about ratings. Everyone loves to see some poor sap with no chance get up on stage and get slammed by the judges, rather than a serviceable dancer do their thing and just not stand out enough.
I think it's exactly the same on Idol. The auditions are intended to entertain and by letting through some of the crazies, they serve that end. I imagine many very talented dancers don't get through based on the enormous amount of people trying out. Mistakes are made, for sure.

Does anyone remember that African Am. guy who tried out twice, was an amazing dancer but wasn't let through both times? He had a MAJOR attitude, but he was a really good dancer. I wondered if they didn't let him through based on attitude alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
Additionally, some of the styles assigned to the pairs of dancers were just too perfect. I certainly think that it's not as 'randomly assigned' as they'd like for us to believe. For instance, the 'Imagine' Pas De Deux with Katee and Will; no other dancers could have performed that choreography by Desmond Richardson. Only classically trained dancers could have executed that choreography. I also heard a rumor prior to the season starting that a street dancer would be winning this year, as the producers really wanted it to end that way.
ITA. There's no way any of the other dancers could have pulled that off. I think the dance choices are a way to skew the votes and outcomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
I'm gonna miss Mary.
Here is Mary: "well, last week I put you on my hot Tamale train, and I didn't know if this week you will make it..............BUT YOU ARE GETTING FIRST CLASS TICKETS ON IT, YES YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! !!!
She's so crazy that I love watching her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
And if they DO NOT FIX THE CAMERA WORK I'm not watching next season. I can't take it anymore. :
This is my biggest gripe with the show. Even though the Wade Robson routine last night was totally bizarre, I felt annoyed not being able to see the whole stage. It just makes me crazy. At one point last night, the camera started filming the stairs...with no one on them!! If they would just lay off all the crazy angles, it would be easier and more effective, IMO.
#394 of 402 Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 PM

I thought I read somewhere that he took dance classes when he was 8 or 9 and that was it? I mean, hell, I took ballet when I was 11-12, but I don't think anyone would seriously consider me "formally trained" because of that.
#395 of 402 Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
I thought I read somewhere that he took dance classes when he was 8 or 9 and that was it? I mean, hell, I took ballet when I was 11-12, but I don't think anyone would seriously consider me "formally trained" because of that.
He had about a couple of years of ballet, jazz, and modern and it was in his teens if I am correct, and then took as many classes as he could in the months between audition and Vegas. Not that I am comparing it to the training that Katee or Will have, it's just that the judges kept calling him 'untrained', and a couple of years of training is something, as is several months of intensive training.
#396 of 402 Old 08-08-2008, 11:52 PM

We had to go to bed before it was over last night, so we're watching the DVR now.

3 things about Mary's performance

1) do you think she's had a back injury?

2) she looks amazing for 50
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/m...title-7511.php

3) I wish my butt looked that good.

for intuitive readings click here :
#397 of 402 Old 08-09-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
2) she looks amazing for 50
3) I wish my butt looked that good.

She is AMAZINGLY beautiful in person. It actually shocked me. Also Mia Micheals is quite stunning in person, which really surprised me.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#398 of 402 Old 08-09-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
She is AMAZINGLY beautiful in person. It actually shocked me. Also Mia Micheals is quite stunning in person, which really surprised me.
I thought Mia looked really pretty on camera on the final show, for the first time ever. Usually she looks frumpy to me. I would have liked to have seen her dance.

She also seemed to smile more than usual though, so maybe that made a difference. Sometimes she's just so negative that's all I see.

for intuitive readings click here :
#399 of 402 Old 08-09-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
No, according to an interview he did he took a month long intensive at with the Debbie Allen Institute every year from 3rd grade on (on scholarship) as well as taking classes that he could work for/get scholarships for

http://startelegram.typepad.com/pop_...orth-nati.html

He still deserves the win, but the playing him up as "untrained" was misleading. Ironically Nigel made a comment about Twitch having less training than Josh in some post interview I saw.
#400 of 402 Old 08-09-2008, 03:08 PM

I'm pretty happy with the results. I think I would've preferred Katee to win but either her or Joshua would've made me happy.

I LOVED the dance with the former contestants!! Good season all around..

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#401 of 402 Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM

I liked the Cirque de Soleil number. Pretty cool. Got my kids excited!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#402 of 402 Old 08-10-2008, 12:01 AM

The Australian SYTYCD with Nigel's wife (separated) does the exact same weird camera work. I think that's why they filmed that way this year.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page