So You Think You Can Dance starts Thurs., May 22nd!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 402 Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought the guy who had the temper tantrum at the end was really good.....why are they so against him?

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#62 of 402 Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Ohh just found this thread - I this show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I thought the guy who had the temper tantrum at the end was really good.....why are they so against him?
I think they were trying to say he was great dancer but he had no heart for it - or had a hard time showing it.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#63 of 402 Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 PM

2 questions because the only dance I know anything about is bellydance, so I am not up on what is 'right' or technically correct or 'good' when it comes to this type of dance.

Is it just me or are all the b-boys amazing so far? Doing things that haven't been done before, at least on the show.

And was the blonde chick all about showing her butt, or again, was is just me?
The one who cried about how she just had a baby and didn't have time to get up to speed, and they put her through to choreography and then sent her to Vegas because they said they know she can be as good as the others even though she didn't really show them yet. I think they referred to her as a 'one trick pony.'

And my complaint is why, oh why, did they let the girl with the ribbon finish when they did nothing but complain about her performance, but the couple from DC who were GREAT, and they raved about, they stopped in the middle! I wanted to see the whole thing! Grrrrr!

for intuitive readings click here :
#64 of 402 Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 PM

My favorites so far are Kherington Payne (soccer chick) Chelsie Hightower (fabulous ballroom dancer) and Kelli Baker (choreographers daughter) Hope they make it to the top 20.
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
I know that one of them is in the top 20 according to spoilers at least.
#65 of 402 Old 06-01-2008, 03:49 PM

I say this with all sincerity: I didn't know Mary WASN"T Marie Osmond. I was wondering about the Southern accent and thought Nigel was mispronouncing her name.

In my defense, I haven't been following the show, just watched the auditions the first year and 2 episodes of the auditions this year.
#66 of 402 Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warda_Rose View Post
I say this with all sincerity: I didn't know Mary WASN"T Marie Osmond. I was wondering about the Southern accent and thought Nigel was mispronouncing her name.

In my defense, I haven't been following the show, just watched the auditions the first year and 2 episodes of the auditions this year.
:

She really does look a lot like her if you haven't watched anything either of them have been in and just see a quick flash on the screen.

#67 of 402 Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Ok- rewatching it the other night, I wondered something: I know nothing about the world of dance, but some of these dancers seem pretty accomplished and immersed in the professional dancing world, like the choreographer's daughter. Is being on a reality show really their ultimate desire, the pinnacle of their career the way they make it seem?

I agree, I feel like many of the contemporary moves are the same. Every time one would dance, it seems like we're seeing the same beseeching kneeling and arm movements again and again. Of course there are differences in expression and ability- I guess this is where the top level choreography on the show comes in, to mix things up a little!
#68 of 402 Old 06-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Ok- rewatching it the other night, I wondered something: I know nothing about the world of dance, but some of these dancers seem pretty accomplished and immersed in the professional dancing world, like the choreographer's daughter. Is being on a reality show really their ultimate desire, the pinnacle of their career the way they make it seem?

I agree, I feel like many of the contemporary moves are the same. Every time one would dance, it seems like we're seeing the same beseeching kneeling and arm movements again and again. Of course there are differences in expression and ability- I guess this is where the top level choreography on the show comes in, to mix things up a little!
I think getting on the show is a way to be seen by the right choreographers and producers. Even the ones who don't make it, like the strippers and street performers, I figure they just want a little exposure so someone will google them and possibly they'll get more work.

#69 of 402 Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I think getting on the show is a way to be seen by the right choreographers and producers. Even the ones who don't make it, like the strippers and street performers, I figure they just want a little exposure so someone will google them and possibly they'll get more work.
: That's what I figured as well. some of those street performers were really amazing to me.
#70 of 402 Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I wondered the same thing. He has heart to me and I think maybe he's not connecting with the audience well. But, remember the guy in the final two last year, was it Danny? He was CONSTANTLY in the bottom and they kept telling him he was great technically but the audience wasn't feeling him so that's why he was always in the bottom. He got chance after chance until suddenly he broke through the proverbial emotional brick wall, the audience fell in love and he made it to the final two!

So, why they won't give this kid a chance really escapes me.
#71 of 402 Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony View Post
I wondered the same thing. He has heart to me and I think maybe he's not connecting with the audience well. But, remember the guy in the final two last year, was it Danny? He was CONSTANTLY in the bottom and they kept telling him he was great technically but the audience wasn't feeling him so that's why he was always in the bottom. He got chance after chance until suddenly he broke through the proverbial emotional brick wall, the audience fell in love and he made it to the final two!

So, why they won't give this kid a chance really escapes me.
I think it's obvious from the way that he acted that he was very full of himself, and seemed somewhat unstable. Maybe they know this about him and don't think that the show would be the best thing for him. Maybe knock him down a little. I don't know...
#72 of 402 Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandyshea View Post
I think it's obvious from the way that he acted that he was very full of himself, and seemed somewhat unstable. Maybe they know this about him and don't think that the show would be the best thing for him. Maybe knock him down a little. I don't know...
I don't know. They usually like it when they are full of themselves, so long as they can take direction. I did think his tantrum was a bit much, though. Maybe he does have some emotional issues, and then isn't one of those reality shows that thrives on drama.
#73 of 402 Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM

So who watched last night?

I thought the teacher with the pink streaks looked like she should be a stripper. And I thought the Travis Wahl (sp?) cross-dressing dance at the end was a touch disturbing. I think it was supposed to be a joke but

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#74 of 402 Old 06-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
So who watched last night?

I thought the teacher with the pink streaks looked like she should be a stripper. And I thought the Travis Wahl (sp?) cross-dressing dance at the end was a touch disturbing. I think it was supposed to be a joke but
I did. I kind of know Yessy Gomez (Her brother was my dance teacher and we danced at the same studio for a while) so I watched to see her. I felt so bad about her knee I so hope she tries again next year.
I was alo completly shocked to see Raymond Love (the guy they kept saying was a great choreographer but that he wasn't "into" the dance enough) whom I also know a little bit audition. I performed with him when I was in high school, and have taken some classes from him since . He really is an amazing chorepgrapher, and a great dancer too. I felt from the beginning that he just picked the wrong type of piece, even before the judges said anything. I wish he had chosen another style. I know he has AMAZING technique, but I don't really think his piece showed it off. I remember him having very strong ballet technique (super flexible, beautiful jumps) and being an incredible hip-hop dancer as well. It makes me sad that anyone would give him crap about doing a sensual piece too: That's what dance is all about.
Oh well, I won't have to rush home to watch the show anymore.
Oh also, the girl that made it that was previously told she was "too competition dancer"--- wow. She was incredible.
#75 of 402 Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapatasana View Post
I did. I kind of know Yessy Gomez (Her brother was my dance teacher and we danced at the same studio for a while) so I watched to see her. I felt so bad about her knee I so hope she tries again next year.
It broke my heart. She looked like she had worked really hard for the last year.

Raymond Love was awesome but the judges are all about the performing. It wouldn't be good tv if they aren't totallly captivating but I could see that he was really really good.

I liked the "competition" girl too

#76 of 402 Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I really enjoyed last night's show and stayed up WAY too late watching it. I thought the "good" auditions really rocked! The one popper from DC--who made it to Vegas last year but sucked at salsa--WOW! He was so fluid with his movement, it almost seemed unreal. LOVED it! And then the guy with the hat and 40s-style dancing. Amazing. Oh, and the second roommate girl was really interesting. Geez, there were so many other good auditions, I can't remember them now.

And then the "bad" auditions were pretty entertaining, too, and they all seemed so pleasant and positive. Well, I guess the masked guy was pretty negative, but besides him.

Nigel and Mary also seemed much more real and normal last night with their critiques. They weren't playing to the camera as much IMO.

Yeah, Travis cross dressing was a bit strange, but he's still amazing.

Anyway--YAY--onto to Vegas!!

dd 10.06joy.gif
#77 of 402 Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfree View Post
I really enjoyed last night's show and stayed up WAY too late watching it. I thought the "good" auditions really rocked! The one popper from DC--who made it to Vegas last year but sucked at salsa--WOW! He was so fluid with his movement, it almost seemed unreal. LOVED it! And then the guy with the hat and 40s-style dancing. Amazing. Oh, and the second roommate girl was really interesting. Geez, there were so many other good auditions, I can't remember them now.

And then the "bad" auditions were pretty entertaining, too, and they all seemed so pleasant and positive. Well, I guess the masked guy was pretty negative, but besides him.

Nigel and Mary also seemed much more real and normal last night with their critiques. They weren't playing to the camera as much IMO.

Yeah, Travis cross dressing was a bit strange, but he's still amazing.

Anyway--YAY--onto to Vegas!!
The hat guy was great. I thought Travis was hysterical, even though it was strange. You could tell it was someone who could actually dance, as opposed to the other cross dressers from the other nights.

And the couple who did the Salsa...I do know the repeated backwards bends she did are incredibly hard to pull off. I don't always understand everything the judges say about form, but just watching how effortlessly she went up and down from those impressed the hell out of me. Wow. It made my knees hurt to watch.

#78 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 AM

I LOVE this show. It is my all time favorite show in tv. I was a dancer most of my life and had to quit because I couldn't afford it. So now my guilty hoby is to watch this show and envy all the dancers that are living their dream.

So, I have to share some cool news, but if you haven't watched tonights show, dont' read this...spoiler....

........there is a girl named Courtney Lynd. She has blond hair, that is kind of spiked. She is spunky. She danced a contemperary dance for her auditions. You might recognize her by her toe move she did on the floor where she flexed and then pointed both toes lying on the floor to the music. She is the sister of a girl I graduated with in high school. Her mom runs a dance studio in my home town. Her sister danced as well, and I have watched them in a few recitals........

.......She made it to the top 20!!!!!!!!!!

I think she is great, and I am so proud!!!!!

Even though I don't know her personally, it is so cool to feel so close to a show that seems so far from my everyday life.

I will be voting for her......anyone else wanna support????

Who do you guys like in the top 20?

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#79 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 AM

I'm so glad Twitch made it in! He is awesome and with some more training could be great. Also, every time he smiles his cheeks do this thing that makes me want to pinch them. :

The guy who was Debbie Allen's protege is amazing. Easily the most well rounded dancer in the group and stunning to watch.

I like the girl who went to the audition with her grandparents (and the fact that her grandma was feeding everybody in the line at 4:30am). I wish she would put her hair up because it's distracting the way it swirls around her head, but I love the way she dances.

The soccer player is adorable and so full of joy she is awesome to watch.

There are others I love (the 2 hip-hop dancers who are friends from Texas who made it) but I haven't sorted them all out yet.

Can't wait for the real season to begin.
#80 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 AM

Oh my goodness, I was really impressed with this season's Vegas auditions! There were some seriously good dancers there and I can't imagine being in the position to choose only 20. There were some tought cuts and several that I just couldn't agree with, but it looks like it will be an exciting season!

This is one of my favorite shows and only one of 2 reality shows I follow. One of the things I love (besides the fact that I'm a dancer as well, so it's inspiring) is that no one can really fake what they're doing. They can either do it or they can't - there's very little room for fudging.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#81 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Yay! I'll definitely be voting for Courtney Lynd! She's been my favorite so far.

I was SHOCKED that the Miami high school teacher made it but the choreographer's daughter didn't!!!!! That makes NO sense to me! That pink-haired-wanna-be can't dance! She can only do some Latin hip wiggle!!!:

I'm so glad Twitch made it too! Everyone else was amazing! I can't wait til next week!!!!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#82 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
Yay! I'll definitely be voting for Courtney Lynd! She's been my favorite so far.

I was SHOCKED that the Miami high school teacher made it but the choreographer's daughter didn't!!!!! That makes NO sense to me! That pink-haired-wanna-be can't dance! She can only do some Latin hip wiggle!!!:

I'm so glad Twitch made it too! Everyone else was amazing! I can't wait til next week!!!!!
: The Miami teacher reminds me of a stripper. Very surprising that they kept her. Maybe they're trying to increase their ratings with young males?!?

Yes, I'm happy Courtney and Twitch made the top 20!!! But sad that the hat guy, the DC popper, and Natalie (the roommate) didn't.

What was up with the judges coming down so hard on Natalie's roommate (I forget her name) for suggesting she wouldn't try out for SYTYCD next year?!? She didn't say that she was quitting dancing. I thought it was rather arrogant of them...like SYTYCD is the only avenue a dancer should even consider. : Please. I love the show and all, but I can certainly understand not wanting to try out for a third time. So much for being open and honest. I guess you just need to tell them what they want to hear while in a competition, huh?

dd 10.06joy.gif
#83 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfree View Post
: The Miami teacher reminds me of a stripper. Very surprising that they kept her. Maybe they're trying to increase their ratings with young males?!?

Yes, I'm happy Courtney and Twitch made the top 20!!! But sad that the hat guy, the DC popper, and Natalie (the roommate) didn't.

What was up with the judges coming down so hard on Natalie's roommate (I forget her name) for suggesting she wouldn't try out for SYTYCD next year?!? She didn't say that she was quitting dancing. I thought it was rather arrogant of them...like SYTYCD is the only avenue a dancer should even consider. : Please. I love the show and all, but I can certainly understand not wanting to try out for a third time. So much for being open and honest. I guess you just need to tell them what they want to hear while in a competition, huh?
Yeah not a fan of the teacher/stripper. I am so sad that Sheila didn't make the top 20. She was the one in school for the "tough major."
I thought it was arrogant off them too and a touch torturous. I was really sad that the kid _ Robert, I think, quit at the beginning. I really liked him.

#84 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
Yeah not a fan of the teacher/stripper. I am so sad that Sheila didn't make the top 20. She was the one in school for the "tough major."
I thought it was arrogant off them too and a touch torturous. I was really sad that the kid _ Robert, I think, quit at the beginning. I really liked him.
I know, Dh and I both liked Sheila! We were sad to see her go. And Mr Fantastic quitting was a disappointment, but he did have a point: he was probably not going to make it to the top, and also might have made a female partner look bad so that she didn't make it to the Top 20. PLUS he's gotten so much attention, he's all over the internet now, so hopefully someone will pick him up and we'll get to see him on TV/in movies or something. I really liked him!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#85 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
I know, Dh and I both liked Sheila! We were sad to see her go. And Mr Fantastic quitting was a disappointment, but he did have a point: he was probably not going to make it to the top, and also might have made a female partner look bad so that she didn't make it to the Top 20. PLUS he's gotten so much attention, he's all over the internet now, so hopefully someone will pick him up and we'll get to see him on TV/in movies or something. I really liked him!

Sheila, had she made it, would have been my favorite. I really liked her and she was so fun to watch. I am not into ANY of the guys except maybe Twitch. Too many male contemporary dancers. But last season Danny and Neil both grew on me so we'll see.

#86 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Kourtni all the way!

I own a dance school in MN and have had the honor of watching her dance for years. Not only is she wonderful, but she is humble and a totally sweetie to all of my dancers. I love her and her family!

She's got our votes!

Go Kourtni.......show em what MN dancers can do!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#87 of 402 Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
I thought that too, he got some exposure, which could pay off for him, and in a way it was sort of noble of him to bow out. He might have heard one of the other dancers complaining about being paired with a 'bad' partner. How about the one girl who got to go again with a new partner? I don't recall them ever doing that before. But last year it seems to me there were a couple of people who were hurt by having not so hot partners a time or two, so when he bowed out, I thought maybe that was weighing on his mind.

I think he will get some work from his appearance anyway.

#88 of 402 Old 06-07-2008, 05:50 PM

I can't get into it this season. I've been watching SYTYCD Australia. I find the top 20 on this show much more interesting.
#89 of 402 Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
What was up with the judges coming down so hard on Natalie's roommate (I forget her name) for suggesting she wouldn't try out for SYTYCD next year?!? She didn't say that she was quitting dancing. I thought it was rather arrogant of them...like SYTYCD is the only avenue a dancer should even consider. Please. I love the show and all, but I can certainly understand not wanting to try out for a third time. So much for being open and honest. I guess you just need to tell them what they want to hear while in a competition, huh?
I totally agree...i think the judges were way off base. She just tried out TWICE for the show, and was tired, and sore, and probably emotionally spent, but they want her to commit to coming back a THIRD time? I dont blame her for saying "no"...my feeling would be "if they dont want me once, twice, shouldnt i get the hint??"...i also dont get why they think that just because she'd choose not to try out for the show, that its "giving up"....she would still dance, just choose not to go through the grueling audition process with nothing to show for it.

I guess they were trying to make things more dramatic for tv....but it was also cruel for her roommate, as they totally did not take her feelings into account, here she is defending her friend knowing it may cost *her* a spot, and in the end they give it to the friend anyway. What was the point in that?! To *scare* Katie into "taking this more seriously"?? whatever. boo.

I also wonder if some of the dancers who got very little camera time (but made it into the top 20) are annoyed, and whether that will affect their votes during the show...i mean, i LOVE Twitch, partly because i feel like i "know" him so well and have seen him dance ALOT just from watching the auditions...other dancers i barely saw at all. I know this has been a complaint from some American Idol contestants, that they focus so much on certain people and that gives them a better shot during the actual show.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#90 of 402 Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 AM

I can't wait for this coming week! There are some seriously good dancers this year! Yeah, the stripper/teacher being there seriously baffles me. I can't stand looking at her. Really.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page