So You Think You Can Dance starts Thurs., May 22nd!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 402 Old 06-15-2008, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I was sad to see Rayven go, too. I really liked her solo, but since I'm not a dancer expert by any means, I didn't even notice she wasn't on point. I thought it was way more interesting than Jessica's solo.

Question--Does anyone else find the camera angles annoying as hell during the performances? I hate how the camera moves around and cuts off parts of the dancers. I feel like I miss out on the routines a bit. I understand crazy angles and quick changes are all part of modern TV, but geez! They don't need to do so much of that to make it a hip show. :

dd 10.06joy.gif
#122 of 402 Old 06-15-2008, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, I agree about the camera changes. I don't like them when they move away just to the upper body.

I was hoping Rayven would stay, but I figured they would give Jessica the benefit of the doubt since they didn't think she belonged in the bottom 3. I thought it might work out better for Will if he got paired with Rayven instead of Jessica.
#123 of 402 Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 PM

I totally agree about blaming the dancers for the choreography- the de-pantsing was not their fault!
#124 of 402 Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM

I loved the "No Air" routine as well. It was my favorite of the night.
#125 of 402 Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 PM

I just re-watched it again-

What was with Nigel's comment to ?Matt (Khortni's partner), saying that he danced like someone put a stick up where the sun don't shine????? I didn't really like that jazz routine in the black outfits- I think both dancers will be great this week in a different style.

Also, sad all over again that Rayven was booted- I liked her routine with Jamie even better the second time around. Compared to Jessica's, they really should have stayed. Rayven seemed like such a sweet person.

I wish the show was on every night!
#126 of 402 Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 AM

Im sooo glad to see this post. I have been a fan since the 2nd season and Im soo happy its back on. I do not like this season as much as last season so far but then again it just started and I hated last season until a few episodes in.

So far Im loving Joshua and Twitch and Im not real sure about girls yet. I do not like comfort at all. I like Gev and his partner but I need to see more of them.
I was really disappointed that they didnt put Kelli Baker in the top 20.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#127 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 AM

I wasn't super-impressed with tonight. Four out of nine dances were good, in my book. Also, what's with the "fly for a white guy" comments? Is it just me or is that rude? Saying that he can krump alright for a white guy...they don't say that another guy waltzes alright for a black guy!! Ack!! Maybe I'm just over-sensitive to it, but that bothered me. *sigh* Anyway, there are any number of people that might go home tomorrow night.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#128 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 AM

Tonight I thought the best dances were the Broadway Dance & the Venineese Walz. They both moved me!
The worst, probably the first dance, the jazz about the King & Queen. However that being said, I do not blame the dancers, I blame the choreographer.
Sorry I do not remember all their names yet!!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#129 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine1001 View Post
I Also, what's with the "fly for a white guy" comments? Is it just me or is that rude? Saying that he can krump alright for a white guy...they don't say that another guy waltzes alright for a black guy!! Ack!! Maybe I'm just over-sensitive to it, but that bothered me. *sigh*
What a double standard- I didn't think about that! they never would have said the opposite to a black guy! And Nigel's "mummy I've got to go pee pee" comment :

I have to watch the show again to get the details. I can see they want Susie and her partner gone by their comments (that would be ok w/ me) but I really thought that salsa was good and didn't deserve the negativity it got.

I am not liking Mandy Moore's choreography lately- I think Chelsea and Thayne, and last week Khourti and Matt did their best with what they were given, and have unfairly suffered bad feedback because of it!

I love Courtney and Gev as a couple! Joshua and Katee are great, too, and Will is growing on me. I think Twitchington will sail through no matter what they do, they are great to watch.
#130 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 09:48 AM

Out of the 9 couples there were 6 that I really enjoyed. That Broadway piece was outstanding, and the Viennese waltz? Swoon!

Unfortunately, the jazz king/queen dance was pretty bad (choreography not great, costumes attrocious, expression non-existent), and I was fairly unimpressed with the last dance (in fact, right now I can't even remember what it was except that I didn't enjoy it).

I was not thrilled they put Suzie (the Miami salsa dancer) into the top 20 but last week she really impressed me when I did NOT plan on being impressed. Made me think I had misjudged her and to anticipate last nights dance with higher expectations. This week she reminded me why I was unthrilled. That salsa was about as well as I could do it, never having danced one before. It was heavy, awkward and desparate looking. And you could see in her eyes at the judging that she knew it wasn't up to par. I think what she said in the video was absolutely right - she's in over her head.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#131 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Mia annoyes me. I don't like her as a judge. She seems to always favor male dancers. Did you notice that she had negative comments to almost all female dancers and positive to almost all male dancers?? She even criticized Kerrington for smiling during the dance.

I love Katte and Joshua, Twitch and Kerrington, Will, Comfort (I thought she actually did a pretty good job on Krump, considering she is such a skinny small girl). Also, the couple that did the Argentinian Tango - what's their names??? I liked them too!
Great season this year!!!
#132 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM

I felt the same way about the "pffawg" comment. It was so awkward and uncomfortable and ???!!!. Sigh.

And I thought I was the only one who noticed that Mia was all about the men...she just looooves the guys and grinds on the girls about every little thing. I was so happy when she said, "I'm going to shut up" after critiquing Twitchington's performance.

My favorites tonight where Katie and Joshua (still my favorite...she really stepped up tonight and his feet are just so light), Twitchington, and Courtney and Gev. I was so proud of Gev.

Did y'all hear that Shane Sparks was choreographing the opening number tonight. I'm so excited!
#133 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmommy View Post
Did y'all hear that Shane Sparks was choreographing the opening number tonight. I'm so excited!
I'm excited too!!! I love when Shane does a routine!

Yeah, I usually like Mia, but she is a bit out of control right now. And, I don't like her with that platinum blonde hair. Ugh. She looked better when it was a bit darker.

I thought the Krump routine was horrible! I don't think either did a great job, especially the guy. I think a lot of it was due to the choreographer because I think Comfort could've really wowed us if it was different.

Maybe it's just me but I didn't think Twitch did a great job at all. He looked really awkward.

Joshua and Katee were great and I LOATHE Broadway. I usually don't even watch those routines when they come on but I watched last night and was impressed.

I love Gev's (is it Gev, the Hawaiian guy?) quirkiness. He really brings something interesting to the show.
#134 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 12:14 PM

Huge fan. I missed a few in the beginning and the last number but from these posts it sounds like I saw the best ones.

Mia has the snottiest voice and it drives me nuts when she tries to sound all artsy fartsy. I also found it annoying how she kept on going about how Karrington shouldn't have smiled. Ok, we get it. Move on.

I'm a total push over for Joshua. He really surprised me with how well-rounded he is. And he seems so humble!

As for girls, I dunno. I like Rayven but she's gone so I'm not quite sure who I'm rooting for.
#135 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
I am not liking Mandy Moore's choreography lately.
Me neither. But more than that, I do not like Mia Micheals attitude! She is so full of herself!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#136 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM

I pretty much agree w/ everyone else about last night. I still like Kourtni, but my up and coming new faves are Will and Courtney. I disagreed with the judges about Courtney and Gev's "in love" routine. I thought it was beautiful and the best choreography of the night, but I'm partial to contemporary anyway. And maybe I notice the faces too much, but I hate it when one partner smiles the whole time and the other doesn't, like in the Broadway routine, otherwise that would have been my favorite. They did a great job, but the girl just had a plastered smile on the whole time that didn't change. She should have made "faces" like Joshua did. To me, the faces and emotions have to match the dance and both partners should pay attention to their faces. Mia was annoying last night, but I agreed with her about Kherington's smile. There was no range of emotion on her face in that Waltz. I loved the dance, though, and Kherington danced it very well.

One thing that I'm realizing is bugging me about this show, my favorite show ever, is that it's supposed to be about finding America's favorite dancer. All of the dancers are good (besides Suzie) by themselves, but I wish there was less partnering. I think Kourtni is fabulous alone, but isn't great with a partner. The same goes for most of the guys. If it's a partnering show then they should bill it as that and have more couples auditioning and making through as partners, but they all (ok, most) audition as singles and are great, but suck at partnering. It just seems weird to me! Why isn't there more singles competition? Like maybe the first half of the season is all partnering and then the second half is choreography just for each of the ten left. I would LOVE that!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#137 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony View Post
I'm excited too!!! I love when Shane does a routine!
me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony View Post
I love Gev's (is it Gev, the Hawaiian guy?) quirkiness. He really brings something interesting to the show.
Mark. He and Chelsie were my faves last night, I think.

for intuitive readings click here :
#138 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 03:10 PM

I actually agree with Mia about the girls except Jessica. I enjoyed watching their dance a lot. I do agree about Kherrington... From the first time I watched her dance (as beautiful and good as she is) I cannot stand how she smiles the whole time. Different dances mean different attitudes. I do think she should have smiled but just not the whole time. And I dont agree with Mia about how it was for his daughter so she shouldnt have smiled... I just think that her face was kind of blank because she had the same look the whole time. She could have looked just as graceful and beautiful not smiling and making you REALLY feel it.

I did not like Chris and Comfort or Suzi and her partner... but I really want Chris and Comfort gone. I like Kourtni okay but do no like Matt.

I though Chelsie and Mark, Courtney and Gev, Joshua and Katie, Twitch and Kherrington did the best. None of the girls are really sticking out to me right now like they did the seasons before but I am LOVING Joshua and Will and I REALLY cant wait to see Gev given something thats actually good.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#139 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 PM

I only enjoyed a few routines last night. The choreography was just blah on so many of the dances. Bleh..

I like Katee and Joshua, Twitchington and Chelsea and Mark. I could do without a few of the others..I've been a little disappointed this season so far. It's just not up to par with last year. Maybe they'll step it up though!

Did anyone see Mia do a gunshot thing to her head when Mary screamed last night? She looked like she was really getting annoyed with her. I think Mia does some great dances but she's kinda snotty. Not loving her.

It will be interesting to see who goes home tonight. I think it should be Susie and her partner. That was uncomfortable and awkward!!

Does anyone know if the opening number from last week is on youtube? I missed it and wanted to see it!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#140 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post

Did anyone see Mia do a gunshot thing to her head when Mary screamed last night? She looked like she was really getting annoyed with her. I think Mia does some great dances but she's kinda snotty. Not loving her.
I saw it. It wasn't a gunshot, more just putting a finger to her ear.

To be fair, Mary is annoying with all that screaming and if she was shrieking like that next to me, I'd have my hands over my ears too. I don't like Mia or Mary.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#141 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 03:49 PM

I wasn't a fan of the Broadway. And it was only because they didn't seem to create characters and she smiled throughout the whole thing, even in the beginning 'sad' part.
I was trained in musical theatre though, so maybe I'm more of a harsh critic in that area

I LOVED Twitchington's dance, with that song and their dancing, I was almost in tears.

I really liked the Argentinian Tango, I thought it was pretty much perfect.

I really like Kourtni, and I really want her to do well. I hate that I can't stop noticing how tall and big she is. I don't notice it when she dances alone.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#142 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
I saw it. It wasn't a gunshot, more just putting a finger to her ear.

To be fair, Mary is annoying with all that screaming and if she was shrieking like that next to me, I'd have my hands over my ears too. I don't like Mia or Mary.

V
Oh Mary is VERY annoying!!! She would drive me crazy too!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#143 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Was last night's show good?!? Dangit, we're moving right now, so we had to pack up the TV yesterday. I was only sad about it to miss SYTYCD!! I hope I can catch up online!!!

dd 10.06joy.gif
#144 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
Me neither. But more than that, I do not like Mia Micheals attitude! She is so full of herself!!!
I agree.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#145 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 PM

We're big SYTYCD fans around here! DH has a degree in dance, so he loves it with me. I didn't know this thread was here.....very cool. I"m not into this season yet, I keep missing episodes, I'll have to catch up online. Last season didn't compare to season 2 which has been my fav so far. I saw that season & season 3 on tour.....

And yeah, the judges are getting out of control.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#146 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 PM

Was that Benji and Lacey's dad in the audience with the message board thing? Did anyone notice? I wonder who he was there supporting?

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#147 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM

I thought he looked familiar!

I'm ok with tonight's results except I would be happier to see Chris gone.

I Comfort. I think she can really blow us away with the right choreography- her solo and the opening number were terrific!
#148 of 402 Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 PM

Oh I'd like to join in on this, I think Chris is pretty lame, I don't like his style. Last night Mia really kinda ticked me off getting all on Twitch and Kherrington's dance, it seriously made me all teary eyed, that poor choreographer and his wife(I feel for them my DD is 21 months I cannot imagine their pain). I thought they executed it brilliantly, it truly did speak to me.

The results tonight were to be expected I honestly never really liked Susie and have come to realization that if you have pink hair on a reality show it does not go far, especially ratty bleached and pink hair. Chris's # is pretty much up, unless something magically happens.

Oh and didn't Mary look like a cave-woman last night? A cave-woman with too much spray on tan to be exact, she drives me insane with all that screeching.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#149 of 402 Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 AM

I haven't read any of the posts above because I've DVR'd the show while I was working, but I'm playing catch-up and I LOVE SHANE SPARKS. Wow. His choreography is so frickin' tight!
#150 of 402 Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 AM

Mary's outfit was pretty odd last night. It just didn't look good on her at all!

I knew what was coming tonight. Susie's solo wasn't good at all. Marquis is good though. I hope he goes far! I loved Chelsie and Comfort's solos tonight. They were great! The opening number was awesome too! Looking forward to next week!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page