Worst baby story EVER - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Argh I am screaming!!

Mom had a vaginal birth 8 years ago - this is baby number 2. Being Induced. Mom was 1 cm at start of induction. The doctor is Dr. Hux (argh i have seen so many inductions/c-sections from him).

Dr. Said baby was really big but he would let her try for an hour to labor and if she wasnt at 4 to 5 they would deliver the baby by c-section. As he was leaving the room he said "and i'll get you an epidural right now too." Mom say, oh you will? "Yeah so you'll be all set either way" "Oh, Ok"

commercial now - she is going in for a c-section.
#2 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 PM

So just how big was the baby?
#3 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 03:45 PM

I decided a long time ago I shouldn't watch that show. My dh was afraid I'd break the tv if I threw something at it. It's not good for my stress levels either.

I am curious as to the size of the baby too.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#4 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

mom didnt even see him, he was crying and brought into another room to get cleaned up. 8# 4 ounces! :

Ohhhh now the mom is getting stiched up as the baby is wheeled into the waiting room for the grandparents to see. I HATE THIS SHOW
#5 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when are the baby shows on? I never get to see any! I see john and kate but never any of the birth stories or anything!

I'm east coast.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#6 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

its on right now - i'm on the east cost too. Its on the same channel as John and Kate.
#7 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM

He thought it would be good for her to go from 1 to 5 in ONE HOUR?! Has that doctor ever heard of precipitous labor? Holy crap! I think I would have died if my cervix had opened that fast! I knew there was a reason I hated that show.
#8 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM

one hour are you f'ing kidding me??????
#9 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Just another reminder of why I never, ever watch that show.

Oh, if only our bodies were actually as reliable as the machines doctors THINK we are and every laboring woman went from 1 cm to 5 in under an hour! Wouldn't that make their jobs soooo much easier!
#10 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM

seriously?!

that is the worst baby story ever!

the dr is a complete moron!!!
#11 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 PM

oh wait, i just realized what you were talking about. The SHOW a baby story. I started to watch that earlier and there was a woman on a C section table and she kept asking about her baby and they took the cute lil guy right away without even showing her. It pissed me off and i was like "yeah.... i can't watch this".

Was that the same one you're talking about? The one that was on this morning?
#12 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
when are the baby shows on? I never get to see any! I see john and kate but never any of the birth stories or anything!

I'm east coast.
Are you pregnant? If so i recommend not watching them. They only show you what happens when things "go wrong". Because you know, it's better TV that way. They think, who wants to watch a woman come in, labor a while, and deliver a perfectly happy baby with no chaos and dramatic moments of interventions? How BORING.
#13 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM

I saw that this show was on this afternoon on our on-screen program guide. I thought, "I bet the mom is having a c-section," turned to the channel it comes on, saw the mom on an operating table, sighed in disgust, and turned the channel to watch something else. I can't believe that people at home just want to watch c-sections all day! It seems to me that it would be much more entertaining to see different types of births.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#14 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 PM

My husband banned me from watching this show during my last pregnancy. He got tired of hearing me yelling and ranting for hours during and after the show.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#15 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjulie View Post
He thought it would be good for her to go from 1 to 5 in ONE HOUR?! Has that doctor ever heard of precipitous labor? Holy crap! I think I would have died if my cervix had opened that fast! I knew there was a reason I hated that show.
LOL my cervix went from 4 to 10 in an hour, and I thought I was dying.. It was ... intense. But I'm notorious for incredibly fast labor.

But seriously, EXPECTING that much dilation is ridiculous!
#16 of 47 Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM

The show is horrible. I never ever saw one episode that did not involve Pitocin, Cytotec, c-sections or lay-flat-on-your-back-labour-positions...
And they administer all the drugs without reasons - because labour stalled for 30 minutes?! Crazy...

Deliver Me on Discovery Health isn't that much better.... There yet has to come a show that doesn't employ medieval procedures...
#17 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
The show is horrible. I never ever saw one episode that did not involve Pitocin, Cytotec, c-sections or lay-flat-on-your-back-labour-positions...
There are a few but they are rare. I saw one that was a HB--the mom kicked the camera crew out of her room for the delivery, LOL. And I have another one on my DVR (DH has some attachment to it and won't let me delete it) that was a waterbirth--actually in a hospital but you'd swear it was a birth center, it was so peaceful. Darkened room, hands-off midwife, baby was alert but didn't come out screaming.

Deliver Me OTOH. . . grrrr. I think the episode that made the angriest was the one with the lesbian couple. The pregnant woman wanted a spontaneous labor and natural birth and her partner was freaking out and having herself admitted to the hospital for anxiety attacks and pushing for interventions and c-section. They sent the mom to the perinate down the hall for fetal weight and decided to induce immediately when he estimated a 9 1/2 lb baby. So she underwent induction, epidural and narrowly missed a c-section to deliver an 8 1/2 lb baby.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#18 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 AM

I couldn't watch that show before I got pregnant. Now I'm pretty sure I'd throw something at the TV. My best friend watches it all the time and coos about how great a show it is. I just want to smack her when she starts doing that.

obstruct livery vehicles

#19 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 AM

When we had cable tv, my husband banned me from watching birth shows because they were all depicting a traumatic experience. And he knew we both wanted kids so he would actually cover my eyes and change the channel lol. Now that we are tv free and pregnant Im seriously glad that I cant even stumble upon one of those awful shows while channel flipping. Those shows are horrible!!
#20 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 AM

Of course she is. Grrr.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#21 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
Dr. Said baby was really big but he would let her try for an hour to labor and if she wasnt at 4 to 5 they would deliver the baby by c-section.
One hour? In a mama who hasn't had a baby in 8 years, is being induced and is starting at 1 cm?! Basically I think that was his way of saying "I need to eat lunch before your C/S so I'm going to pretend I'm giving your body a chance while I go scarf my sandwich". Grrrr.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#22 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM

Oh my goodness - you are all women after my own heart. I'm not laughing at the absurdity of the show, but because I, too, have yelled at A Baby Story more times than I can remember.
#23 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM

I wrote a letter to Johnson & Johnson complaining about that show. I think I'm going to check out their other sponsors now.
#24 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I watched that episode. Horrid. I hate that Dr. Hux. I want to knock the mustasch off his face.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#25 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 PM

I was channel hopping yesterday and forgot what time it was ( I usually have to avoid those shows or I will be ranting to others for the rest of the day) I saw just that short little section that you just described.I was so angry for myself and for that family.If we have no choice but to go to a Dr that is just the kind of treatment we will have to expect.Horrible!

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#26 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM

I like the story. The absurdity of the doctors convinced DH that our UC would be a good idea!

Does anyone know if you can watch Deliver Me online anywhere? I've told DH repeatedly that I want to watch an episode of that show so I can be mad at it.
#27 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redifer View Post
LOL my cervix went from 4 to 10 in an hour, and I thought I was dying.. It was ... intense. But I'm notorious for incredibly fast labor.

But seriously, EXPECTING that much dilation is ridiculous!
I went from 4cm to baby-in-arms in 45 minutes and I think the whole neighbourhood thought I was dying. I'm amazed nobody called the cops.

(Sorry for the hijack)

I loathe that show, it is such a huge tool in undermining womens' belief in themselves.
#28 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 PM

No, let me tell you about Worst Episode Ever.

Birth Day.

Mother comes in for ultrasound at 41 weeks. Borderline low amniotic fluid (5-8 is borderline, she was 8, which most say can be solved with rehydration!). Anyway...
OH MY GOD! We have to induce now! BRING ON THE CYTOTEC!!

*one hour later* she's not dilating enough, so Pitocin is started. Then mama, who wanted a natural birth but now has cytotec and pit, gets epidural. Progress still too slow... only 1cm in an hour (omg!!) so they break her water.

There go the heart tones! Oh no! So they do this procedure to put water back INto her uterus (saline? Whatever...). Heart tones okay for awhile until they up the Pit more. Then they don't recover.

Rush to the OR, turn off the pit... heart tones recover beautifully!!! Contractions still going, but not enough progress for their schedule. So they start the pit slowly again, and it always eventually gets to the point where there is fetal distress (...duh?). Finally, they tell her they can't wait any longer, it's absolutely essential that they get the baby out NOW, even though it has no issues when the pit is off.

So they section her.

Sounds typical right? Well, she went from ultrasound to birth in less than FIVE HOURS.

Five.
Hours.

And then was told she couldn't breastfeed.

I went to my midwife appointment a week after I saw this episode and she and I just yelled and screamed in frustration the whole hour...

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#29 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM

One of the first things we were told in my hypnobirthing class was, "Never again watch an episode of A Babiy Story!" I still follow that advice, 3.5 years later. That show makes me ill.
#30 of 47 Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM

WHAT??? Why are doctors so ridiculously lazy and uncaring??? And why do mothers just go along blindly???

The basics sounds similar to my DS's birth, but I wasn't playing the doctor game. I went 10 days over-due (even though they talked about inducing every.single.day.), pushed for nearly 3 hours AND DS was almost 10 lbs. With DD (who was 8 lbs.) they told me, "Oh, thank God she wasn't bigger, you could never deliver anything larger!" Wanna bet?

To be fair, though, I was an 8-9 when I got to the hospital and delivered in DH's t-shirt.

Side note - when my SIL had my nephew, 26 other mothers delivered the same night and she was the only non-Cesarean. Can you believe that?

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page