The Secret Life of An American Teenager - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 263 Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moi, but of course! :

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#62 of 263 Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 AM

Okay, so never mind, I SO was convinced that whole marriage scene was a fantasy! Yowza! Talk about unrealistic-the whole fake ID thing, the wedding, the parents not finding out....wow. I mean, I can understand Amy wanting to getting married to "fix things" and to feel like part of a family and stuff, especially since her own is breaking up, but it just seems like something that would be so difficult to pull off. Fake IDs are so hard to come by and most certainly wouldn't be handed out in a school by a student hiding an operation in one of the classrooms.

#63 of 263 Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM

I am really not liking the mom (Molly Ringwald) trying to manipulate Amy into adoption. I think the mom is being really unfair and actually nasty. Talk to your daughter about her options and help her come up with a plan ect but stop the freakin manipulation. I don't think the mom is wrong to talk to Amy about how her life will no doubt change when she has her baby and how she will have to make some tough choices ect but how the mom is going about it is just wrong imo. I will not be happy about this show if Amy ends up giving the baby up for adoption because she feels she has no other choice. I think thus far Amy has been clear that she wants to keep the baby and now plans need to be made on how best that can happen.
Oh my the dad is such a sexist pig, I can completely understand why the mom is just done there.

The marriage thing was kind of unrealistic but my own grandmother lied about her age to marry my grandfather. Of course that was a different time and I'm sure it was a lot easier back then.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#64 of 263 Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 PM

I agree I think there is a lot of manipulation going on there about adoption. I know it's because this is a TV show, but there is no mention of state help w/ daycare, health insurance, ext., which in reality Amy would probably qualify for. Of course that's not in the picture because it's pseudo-reality, but honestly the state help often helps teens to keep and raise their babies. I didn't love to have to use it, but medicaid and daycare vouchers helped me keep a job when I was young and not have to be worried sick about "what happens if my daughter gets ill", ext. It's sad for me to think that there might be young moms out there who give up their wanted babies because they feel like they have no other choice. My heart aches for them.

#65 of 263 Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 PM

I'm totally addicted to this show. My husband says he can't stand it, but I think he secretly likes it. heehee I lot of people said that they can't stand Ben, because his character is totally unbelievable, but I actually knew people like this in high school - some were good friends too! The acting is terrible, but I love it still. Definitely a guilty pleasure..

Sara, wife to Nathan, mommy to Mabel 6/25/07 and Malcolm 5/13/10

#66 of 263 Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Oh, this stupid ridiculous badly-acted nightmare of a show that I love and adore.

I didn't really think Amy's mom was out of line. Amy just assumed that she'd take care of the baby without even asking. She even went so far as to say that she expected her mom to watch the baby while she was at band practice after school! She was planning her mother's entire future as an unpaid babysitter without even discussing the issue with her. I probably would have said similar things to my daughter in that situation.

I really can't believe Ben & Amy went through with the wedding. I see rocky times ahead for those two. And really, it is almost unbelievable that there's a 15-year-old guy anywhere who is sooo perfect in every way.

But yeah, I love this show, despite its many blaringly obvious flaws!
#67 of 263 Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming
I didn't really think Amy's mom was out of line. Amy just assumed that she'd take care of the baby without even asking. She even went so far as to say that she expected her mom to watch the baby while she was at band practice after school! She was planning her mother's entire future as an unpaid babysitter without even discussing the issue with her. I probably would have said similar things to my daughter in that situation.
: you and me both.
#68 of 263 Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 AM

I don't think the mom was out of line for putting Amy straight about her babysitting. But the mom has wanted Amy to give the baby up for adoption from the start and is on the mission to get that done it seems. The way she went about it was wrong imo and definitely had the purpose of scaring Amy into thinking she won't be able to keep her baby. Amy at this point still doesn't get what being a mother is but a lot of moms are like that no matter their age. The mom should have been supportive imo and told her although she won't/can't watch the baby they would figure something out that worked for all of them. I can not fathom leaving my teenage daughter to fend for herself and her baby with no help. She will not always be so young and won't always need as much help and how her parents handle things/help her now will no doubt make it easier or near impossible. And the mom imo is trying to make it impossible which is unfair and just nasty imo.

#69 of 263 Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
I don't think the mom was out of line for putting Amy straight about her babysitting. But the mom has wanted Amy to give the baby up for adoption from the start and is on the mission to get that done it seems. The way she went about it was wrong imo and definitely had the purpose of scaring Amy into thinking she won't be able to keep her baby. Amy at this point still doesn't get what being a mother is but a lot of moms are like that no matter their age. The mom should have been supportive imo and told her although she won't/can't watch the baby they would figure something out that worked for all of them. I can not fathom leaving my teenage daughter to fend for herself and her baby with no help. She will not always be so young and won't always need as much help and how her parents handle things/help her now will no doubt make it easier or near impossible. And the mom imo is trying to make it impossible which is unfair and just nasty imo.

Yea exactly. I also don't think it was wrong for Amy's mom to set her straight about the baby-sitting, but I agree that it seems like she is really trying to scare her into adoption, which is completely wrong.

#70 of 263 Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 PM

I thought the way last night's episode handled it was really good. They had a real talk about how the baby IS coming, and that Amy just needs to make some real decisions and stick with them and work toward a responsible solution, not just something that will make the problem go away without dealing with it. I love the mother character in this episode.

What is up with Ricky though? What was all of that with Adrian asking him if he'd ever been arrested, does anyone have guesses?
#71 of 263 Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 PM

The mom handled it much better this episode. But I actually don't see what is wrong with Amy having a nanny if she was able to, not saying she should legally marry and live with her boyfriend (well I guess he'd be her husband) so she can do that though. But the mom seemed to think it would be wrong for child care being paid for and I strongly disagree infact I think the mom should be helping Amy find out what resources are available to her including child care. I also don't see why she's pushing Amy to get a job right now either. I guess I don't get the whole tough love thing in this situation.

I'm not sure why she asked Ricky that other than her father could find that info out.

#72 of 263 Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM

im confused... her moms knwn shes pregnant for months now, and shes 6 months pregnant..NOW she is telling her to get a job? what about before, when it would be easier for her both to get and keep one? most places dont hire 15yo as they said..especially obviously pregnant ones who are going to at least miss a while rather soon.

and the pushiness does bug me, too. i can understand the mom having an issue with being thought of as an unpaid babysitter without being aske,d but umm...why does she have issues with ANY help?
#73 of 263 Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
I'm not sure why she asked Ricky that other than her father could find that info out.
I guessed that maybe she thought her father knew Ricky had a prior conviction and if he got caught making fake ids he would get jail time and be away from her. No idea what he would have been arrested for though.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#74 of 263 Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Totally unrelated, but Adrians dad is HOT HOT HOT.
Yowza!:

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#75 of 263 Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok but now rickys DAD is hot too! lol.
its a never ending hot dad contest!:

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#76 of 263 Old 01-20-2009, 02:52 PM

Did anyone else think last night's episode was particularly stupid and badly acted? I think Grace and Jack's acting gets worse and worse and worse. Pretty soon they'll be holding the script in their hands and reading from it.
#77 of 263 Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM

I do think it sucked. It took the whole episode to tell basically that Ricky's dad is scary and mean and wants to sell the baby. That plot line seems really dumb to me.

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#78 of 263 Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 PM

it was horrible . the next one is going to be sad though
#79 of 263 Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
it was horrible . the next one is going to be sad though
Why? I didn't get to watch the whole last show so I didn't see the previews for the next one.

#80 of 263 Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 PM

The guide on DirecTV says something along the lines of Amy gets a chance to find out the sex of her baby, Ricky breaks up with Grace to protect her from his father, and Jack makes a shocking discovery while doing community service.

I can just see Jack making a shocking discovery. "Oh. Wow. That.is.very.shocking. I.should.tell.someone.about.this."
#81 of 263 Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 PM

I do not like Ricky and Grace together. Grace irks me and he's such a 'bad' boy/cheater/dishonest that someone like Grace is way too niave to know what's up there and make wise choices for herself in that situation. It's nice that he is capable of doing something unselfish. Although I do feel for his character and know how hard dealing with sexual abuse is, I hope his character does a lot of healing and growing.

at Jack impersonation.

typing w/toddler on lap.

#82 of 263 Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
Did anyone else think last night's episode was particularly stupid and badly acted?
Just this week's episode? I think it's always pretty bad but that's part of the appeal for me lol.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#83 of 263 Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
The guide on DirecTV says something along the lines of Amy gets a chance to find out the sex of her baby, Ricky breaks up with Grace to protect her from his father, and Jack makes a shocking discovery while doing community service.

I can just see Jack making a shocking discovery. "Oh. Wow. That.is.very.shocking. I.should.tell.someone.about.this."

I like Jack, he's all wholesome and stuff... you just know that he and Grace are going to get back together eventually, they're MADE for each other!

I'm really interested by the sex of the baby part... if she ends up keeping it, maybe seeing it on an ultrasound will be the reason she decides to keep it? At any rate, do you guys think it will be a boy or a girl? which one would make for a better story?
#84 of 263 Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 PM

I hope it's a boy. I was a teen mom of a boy myself. :
#85 of 263 Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 PM

So I just read Celebrity Baby Blog that Molly Wringwald is expecting twins and I quote "According to a spokeswoman from the show, Molly’s pregnancy will be written into the storyline. "

Hhhhhmm? Very interesting how that will all work out.
#86 of 263 Old 01-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
So I just read Celebrity Baby Blog that Molly Wringwald is expecting twins and I quote "According to a spokeswoman from the show, Molly’s pregnancy will be written into the storyline. "

I was wondering that as well.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#87 of 263 Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post

I had not heard about that. That WILL make things VERY interesting. I mean, unless her and her hubby reconcile...it will be alot like Amy getting pregnant. And she should know better!

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#88 of 263 Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmind View Post
I had not heard about that. That WILL make things VERY interesting. I mean, unless her and her hubby reconcile...it will be alot like Amy getting pregnant. And she should know better!
they ahh... "reconciled" a couple weeks ago for a few minutes, so maybe thats it?
#89 of 263 Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
they ahh... "reconciled" a couple weeks ago for a few minutes, so maybe thats it?
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that. O.O

#90 of 263 Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 AM

Ahhh! I was totally just thinking when Amy & her mom were sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office on tonight's show, "Is Molly Ringwald pregnant, too?! She looks more pregnant than Amy!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page